WOSSNAME -- MARCH 2009 -- PART 1 OF 6

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2009
      MARCH 2009 (Volume 12, Issue 3)
      WOSSNAME is a FREE publication for members of the worldwide
      Editor Emeritus (retd): Joseph Schaumburger
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      time)

      ====Part 1 -- ALL THE NEWS THAT FITS

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH
      2) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      3) PICK A STREET FOR WINCANTON!
      4) ONLY YOU -- OR THEY -- CAN *SING* MANKIND
      5) NOMINATIONS AND AWARDS
      6) ALZHEIMER'S NEWS
      7) HARRY LOVES PTERRY...
      8) ...AND SO DOES A CERTAIN HOBBIT

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS AND STUFF

      9) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      10) OOK! PTERRY OPENS A NEW LIBRARY
      11) WONDERFUL DISCWORLD FIGURINES FROM PJSM PRINTS
      12) CONVENTION NEWS
      13) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
      14) A RIGHT KNIT-WIT: PTERRY'S KNITTING INTERVIEW
      15) NATION: A REVIEW
      16) BILL DOOR, STAR OF THE SCREEN
      17) RADIO BIRDSONG STILL WARBLING
      18) SAM VIMES: THE READERS' FAVOURITE
      19) BUT BUT BUT HE ATE'NT DEAD!
      20) THE REAL STICK AND BUCKET DANCE...
      21) ...AND THE KIND OF SHEPHERDING GRANNY ACHING WOULDN'T APPROVE OF
      22) STEPHEN PLAYER ILLUSTRATES A DIFFERENT KIND OF FANTASY BOOK
      23) NEW RHIANNA PRATCHETT WEBSITE

      ====Part 3 -- ...AND MORE...

      24) RAT INNA BUN
      25) AUSDWCON REPORT
      26) BU CAMPUS NEWSROUND

      ====Part 4 -- MORE BU DISCUSSION

      27) BU NEWSROUND, CONTINUED

      ====Part 5 -- HOROSCOPE

      28) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      ====Part 6 -- LATE BREAKING NEWS, AND CLOSE

      29) LATE BREAKING NEWS

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH

      "There's a thesis I'm working on that, actually, depending on
      circumstances, kindness is better than love, because love is
      ethereal, and kindness is a good meal when you need it."

      -- Terry Pratchett, in an interview with Yarn Forward magazine

      Wotcha, readers! This month's issue comes to you from the Editor's
      Sickbay (no, I ate'nt dead, but I've been laid low by a nasty throat
      bug), so I apologise in advance for any un-caught lapses in
      proofreading that may have been caused by a fever-boiled brain.

      I'm also sending out the first several pages of this issue a bit
      early--see item 3 for why. Get your votes in now for your favourite
      street names! My personal favourite is Shamlegger Street, but your
      mileage may vary.

      The remaining parts of the March issue will follow on in a few days.
      IN A FEW DAYS, got it? So don't panic because you're missing the
      latter parts...or at least, don't panic until *after* they're
      published...

      Right, mine's a hot Lemsip and back to bed. Enjoy, and don't forget
      to put your clocks forward, or back if you live in Fourecks or the
      Land of Fog...

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      3) PICK A STREET FOR WINCANTON!

      Esmi writes:

      A new housing development is to be built in the town of Wincanton by
      George Wimpey & Co. Those of you who have been paying attention over
      the past few years will recall that Wincanton is officially twinned
      with Ankh-Morpork. So Wimpey & Co have decided that some of the new
      streets should be named after their Ankh-Morpork counterparts and
      will also be donating £1000 to Alzheimers research.

      Terry has agreed a shortlist of names, and fans are now invited to
      vote for their favourites. The winning names will be revealed by
      Terry during the Wincanton April Shower Event (see below for
      details).

      The shortlist of street names are:
      Mollymog Street
      Moon Pond Lane
      Cable Street
      Shamlegger Street
      Peach Pie Street
      Treacle Mine Road
      Hen and Chickens Field
      Lobbin Clout
      Scoone Avenue
      Tenth Egg Street
      Kicklebury Street
      Morpork Street
      Ankh Street
      The Ridings

      Pick your favourite three names, and email them to:
      discworld@....

      Voting closes at 1pm GMT on Friday 27 March.

      Of course, the choice is yours, but I will just point out that Terry
      has said "Personally, I'd pay good money to live somewhere called
      Treacle Mine Road". Not that that should influence your choice. In
      any way. Perish the thought.

      The April Shower Event will run from Saturday,4th April to Sunday,
      5th April 2009 in Wincanton itself. On Saturday 4 April there will
      be a Makers Market at The Bear and an area set aside for decorating
      your April Shower Cap. The Costume Parade and the judging of the
      best April Shower Cap will take place on Saturday afternoon.

      There will also be the traditional Saturday night evening meal (a
      Beef in Guinness Supper) at The Bear and The Dolphin. Cost: £9.50
      per head including pudding. Please book directly with the pub of
      your choice:

      The Bear: 01963 32581
      The Dolphin: 01963 32215

      After supper there will be the equally traditional Charity Auction.
      If you would like a table at the Makers Market or want to
      contribute a lot for the Charity Auction, please email:

      hilary@... as soon as possible.

      On Sunday, Terry will reveal the chosen street names at around 3pm
      at the Wincanton office of George Wimpey (which just happens to be
      opposite the Discworld Emporium shop).

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      4) ONLY YOU -- OR THEY -- CAN *SING* MANKIND

      More than four years after its triumphant run at the Edinburgh
      Fringe Festival, "Only You Can Save Mankind - The Musical" by
      composer Leighton James House and lyricist Shaun McKenna is finally
      set to become "Only You Can Save Mankind - The Album". Recording
      begins this month at Air Edel in London, with a stellar cast
      featuring -- among others still to be announced -- musical theatre
      stars Kerry Ellis, Sharon D. Clarke, Zubin Varla and Oliver
      Tompsett, and noted cellist Zoe Martlew; the album will be produced
      by Neil Brock, orchestrated by Tom Deering and engineered by Rupert
      Coulson.

      "Only You Can Save Mankind - The Musical" will then become a full
      touring production in 2010, playing in select theatres around the UK
      and finally coming back to London for a West End run.

      From Broadway World, who also reveal that Pratchett is "now in the
      top 10 most read non-American writers in the US":

      "Songs from Only You Can Save Mankind - The Album will be
      available to download individually or as an entire album from
      Terry Pratchett's news website:
      http://www.pjsmprints.com/news/index.html.

      "If you buy the whole album, it includes a bonus podcast by Terry
      Pratchett. The producers are donating 10% of the profits to the
      Alzheimer's Research Trust."

      http://broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=45713

      From TheaterMania.com:

      "West End performers including Sharon D. Clarke (We Will Rock You),
      Kerry Ellis (Wicked), Oliver Tompsett (Wicked), and Zubin Varla
      (Jesus Christ Superstar) will make a studio recording of the new
      sci-fi musical Only You Can Save Mankind, based on the novel by Sir
      Terry Pratchett..."

      http://tinyurl.com/cgj8zt

      From Playbill:

      "Press notes for the musical, which received a 2004 production at
      the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, read: 'As the mighty alien fleet from
      the very latest computer game thunders across the computer screen,
      Johnny prepares to blow them into the usual million pieces. And they
      send him a message: We surrender. They're not supposed to do that!
      They're supposed to die. And computer joysticks don't have "Don't
      Fire" buttons. But it's only a game, or is it?'"

      http://www.playbill.com/news/article/127398.html

      Many thanks, as always, to PJSM Prints for the heads-up!

      http://www.pjsmprints.com/news/index.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      5) NOMINATIONS AND AWARDS

      5.1 Nation is a finalist for the Los Angeles Times 2008 Book Prize,
      in the Young Adult Literature category:

      http://www.latimes.com/extras/bookprizes/2008finalists.html

      5.2 Here be a rather charming short video of the American Library
      Association's awards selection committee as they telephoned the
      winners of the Newbery, Printz and other awards, including Pterry
      going "Woohoo!" when told that he'd won for Nation:

      http://tinyurl.com/bs9t8v

      5.3 Making Money has made the final Nebula Awards ballot for novel
      of the year. The nominees are:

      Little Brother - Cory Doctorow (Tor, Apr08)
      Powers - Ursula K. Le Guin (Harcourt, Sep07)
      Cauldron - Jack McDevitt (Ace, Nov07)
      Brasyl - Ian McDonald (Pyr, May07)
      Making Money - Terry Pratchett (Harper, Sep07)
      Superpowers - David J. Schwartz (Three Rivers Press, Jun08)

      http://tinyurl.com/cenkk3

      5.4 The Chronic Rift's Roundtable Award Nominees

      Podcast programme The Chronic Rift -- http://chronicrift.com/ -- has
      nominated Terry Pratchett (for Nation) for their yearly Roundtable
      Awards in the category of Best Writer of a Novel, Short Story, or
      Comic Book. The winners will be announced during the 6th April
      podcast:

      http://sfscope.com/2009/03/the-chronic-rifts-roundtable-a.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      6) ALZHEIMER'S NEWS

      6.1 FACING DEATH: SIR PTERRY'S LETTER TO THE TIMES

      In which our favourite author argues eloquently for the right to die
      with dignity:

      "Suicide is an act of desperation by a mind at the end of its
      tether... This is horrible, but it is a world away from the careful
      and deliberate decision made by competent individuals, who suffer
      from a chronic and incurable disease, about a way in which they wish
      for the inevitable to be met. There can be nothing wrong in
      requesting that one's life should be brought to a neat and dignified
      end."

      Full text:

      http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/letters/article5870145.ece

      6.2 PRATCHETT DONATION HELPING ALZHEIMER'S STUDY

      "Scientists at the University of Sussex have revealed that money
      donated by Sir Terry Pratchett to Alzheimer's research has been of
      significant help... Researchers said his donation had allowed them
      to see how the disease attacks the brain... Rebecca Wood, chief
      executive of the Alzheimer's Research Trust, said Sir Terry's
      support 'knows no bounds' and as well as speaking about his own
      diagnosis, he had 'put his money where his mouth is'."

      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/7941728.stm

      6.3 A KNIGHT'S QUEST

      Canada's Globe and Mail has a good article, including extended
      commentary from Colin Smythe and a recap of the Living with
      Alzheimer's documentary:

      "He was, as usual, funny, spry, self-deprecating; the kind of guy
      who'd write a series of books about inept wizards, smart-mouthed
      witches and a world carried on the back of an intergalactic turtle.
      The kind of guy who would make a joke about worrying, during his
      knighting, that his fly was down. Not a guy you'd think has
      Alzheimer's. But of course he does have Alzheimer's, and the fact
      that he's not typical is part of his campaign to raise awareness of
      the disease."

      http://tinyurl.com/degulk

      6.4 JIM BROADBENT JOINS THE CAMPAIGN RANKS

      Revered actor Jim Broadbent, a leading choice for the Dean on many
      Discworld fans' "Casting the Discworld" threads, has publicly joined
      the fight against Alzheimer's:

      "The stigma is lifting, but we need more people out there
      discovering, understanding and, ultimately, creating the treatments
      that people need."

      http://tinyurl.com/cz8qxq

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      7) HARRY LOVES TERRY...

      Harry Potter lead actor Daniel Radcliffe's shortlist of his six
      favourite books includes one by J.K. Rowling -- and two by Terry
      Pratchett:

      http://tinyurl.com/d7vc9a

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      8) ...AND SO DOES A CERTAIN HOBBIT

      8.1 A recent interview with Sean Astin, in which he discusses
      meeting Pterry and filming The Colour of Magic:

      "I remember when I started reading the "The Color of Magic" that had
      I had this kind of sad feeling when I read about Twoflower because I
      thought of course this book is gonna be made into a movie and it's
      gonna be an English production and I have no chance or any right to
      play Twoflower..."

      http://tinyurl.com/c8ym3o

      8.2 Another longish interview, on Fear Net, concentrates largely on
      tCoM and Astin's love of Discworld and Pratchett:

      "I actually think for people who like fantasy but kind of feel
      sometimes like the fantasy world is a little redundant and
      formulaic, Pratchett is such a great antidote for that. He bounces
      back and forth between contemporary ideas and really fun old-
      fashioned fantasy. The Discworld is just awesome...if Twoflower
      appears in anything, I definitely want to be Twoflower. To think of
      somebody else as Twoflower makes me sad."

      http://tinyurl.com/d4gjhy

      8.3 A video interview promoting The Colour of Magic, on Fox TV Los
      Angeles:

      http://tinyurl.com/cyqbkx

      8.4 Another good interview by Ian Spelling on SCI FI Wire:

      "I heard this great phrase from the librarian at my kids' middle
      school, and it was 'Don't judge a book by its movie.' How perfect is
      that? So I would say it's very faithful, but not perfect... I really
      got a kick out of it. I saw it with my kids, and they had fun with
      it. It's Pratchett. There's a very English sensibility to it in
      terms of the comedy. British wit is so fast, and you've really got
      to open your eyes and lean forward a little bit if you want to catch
      everything that's coming at you..."

      http://scifiwire.com/2009/03/how-sean-astin-comes-full.php

      If you did not get all six parts, write: interact@...