WOSSNAME -- MARCH 2009 -- PART 2 OF 6

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22 1:17 PM
      WOSSNAME -- MARCH 2009 -- PART 2 OF 6 (continued)

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS AND STUFF

      9) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      10) OOK! PTERRY OPENS A NEW LIBRARY
      11) WONDERFUL DISCWORLD FIGURINES FROM PJSM PRINTS
      12) CONVENTION NEWS
      13) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
      14) A RIGHT KNIT-WIT: PTERRY'S KNITTING INTERVIEW
      15) NATION: A REVIEW
      16) BILL DOOR, STAR OF THE SCREEN
      17) RADIO BIRDSONG STILL WARBLING
      18) SAM VIMES: THE READERS' FAVOURITE
      19) BUT BUT BUT HE ATE'NT DEAD!
      20) THE REAL STICK AND BUCKET DANCE...
      21) ...AND THE KIND OF SHEPHERDING GRANNY ACHING WOULDN'T APPROVE OF
      22) STEPHEN PLAYER ILLUSTRATES A DIFFERENT KIND OF FANTASY BOOK
      23) NEW RHIANNA PRATCHETT WEBSITE

      9) THE PLAY'S THE THING...

      9.1 REMINDER: WYRD SISTERS IN BEDFORDSHIRE

      As featured in last month's issue. Remember, this production is
      still running through the 28th of this month!

      When: March 24-28
      Venue: Sharnbrook (ring for details)
      Time: 7:45 p.m
      Tickets: 9 GBP to 11 GBP, available from Sharnbrook Post Office or
      Bedford Central Box Office (01234 269519)

      9.2 REMINDER: MASKERADE IN NORWICH

      The Norwich Theatre Royal Youth Theatre Company's production of
      Maskerade runs through the 28th of this month.

      When: March 26-28, 2009
      Venue: Studio Theatre at The Garage
      Time: 7:30 p.m.
      Tickets: 7 GBP, available from Theatre Royal Box Office
      (01603630000) or online

      http://www.theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk

      9.3 GOING POSTAL IN HAMPSHIRE

      Amateur dramatic group The Boundary Players will present Stephen
      Briggs' adaptation of Going Postal in May 2009.

      When: 12th to 16th May 2009
      Venue: William Penney Theatre, Aldermaston Recreational Society
      Time: curtain up at 7:30pm

      Full details are available at:

      http://www.boundaryplayers.co.uk

      9.4 WYRD SISTERS IN BERKSHIRE

      The Crowthorne Amateur Theatrical Society will present their
      production of Wyrd Sisters in late April and early May 2009.

      When: Wednesday 29th April to Saturday 2nd May
      Venue: Parish Hall, Heath Hill Road South, Crowthorne, Berks, RG45
      7BN
      Time: Doors open 19:00, curtain up 19:45
      Tickets: £8.50 (£7.00 concessions) Tickets will be available from
      early April -- see website for more information.

      Contact: http://www.catswebsite.co.uk
      Email: boxoffice@...

      http://amdram.co.uk/events/wyrd-sisters-3/

      9.5 REVIEW: THE TRUTH, IN OXFORD

      from The Oxford Times

      "The Truth is one of Pratchett's most acclaimed Discworld
      entries, not only because it is rich with the author's usual Monty
      Python-style comic touches, but also because it has a lot to say
      about journalism, writing and 'the truth'... This production is
      pretty faithful to the spirit, if not the exact content, of its
      source material. Dialogue is at times so Pratchett-esque as to be
      practically lifted from the novel's pages..."

      http://tinyurl.com/bmj97e

      This production also involved comedic magicians Robert Morgan and
      Rhys West. At least we think it did, since they claim to have been
      producing, directing and starring in the same play at the same venue
      on the same days...here they are as a very believable-looking Mr
      Tulip and Mr Pin:

      http://tinyurl.com/b9phos

      http://www.morganandwest.co.uk/

      9.6 REVIEW: WYRD SISTERS, IN SOUTHPORT

      The Champion newspaper's rather dyspeptic critic Ron Ellis liked the
      production in spite of himself:

      "...the cast threw themselves into their roles with gusto and I
      especially enjoyed the three witches, brilliantly played by Tracey
      Bachelor, Carolyn McAdam and Laura Franklin, who seemed to have
      metamorphosed from the snug in the early days of the Rovers Return
      to totally steal the show. Their down to earth Lancashire tones
      played well against the implausibility of the action... David Walker
      perfectly suited his part as the King[sic]. In fact he looked
      remarkably like Henry the Eighth. What dedication to acquire a gammy
      leg to go with the walking stick."

      http://www.champnews.com/html/newsstory.asp?id=7344

      [Looks like that broken leg mentioned in our previous issue did the
      trick nicely -- Ed.]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      10) OOK! PTERRY OPENS A NEW LIBRARY

      Terry Pratchett stood in for the Librarian to formally open the new
      library at Hounsdown School in Southampton, England. Students
      dressed in Discworld costume, including James Harding as an
      excellently four-eyed Twoflower, welcomed the author who then took
      part in a question and answer session. Hounsdown students, who had
      produced a book of creative writing they had done in his style,
      presented him with the book and additionally with a cheque for more
      than £200 raised for the charity of his choosing -- The RICE Centre
      in Bath:

      http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/4160333.Pratchett_opens_library/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      11) WONDERFUL DISCWORLD FIGURINES FROM PJSM PRINTS

      For Discworld figurine collectors with time on their hands, PJSM now
      offers a range of our favourite characters for sale, ranging in
      price from £7.50 to £8.00. The 30mm metal cast collection includes
      Granny Weatherwax, Rincewind, The Luggage, Death (with scythe and
      lifetimer), Susan, Nobby Nobbs, Sam Vimes, and of course Nanny Ogg.
      All characters come with round plastic bases, but do require
      preparation, assembly and painting.

      To order, go to:

      http://www.pjsmprints.com/miniatures/index.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      12) CONVENTION NEWS

      12.1) NADWCON NEWS AND UPDATES

      From Lee Whiteside of NADWCON:

      *The Banquet*
      The theme of the banquet will be "A Night at the Rhoxie," grand
      palace of Creosote, the Seriph of Al Khali. Famed in myth and legend
      for its splendor, the Rhoxie is said to have been built by a genie
      in a single night (causing it to be known colloquially as the "Djinn
      Palace"). Creosote himself will be in attendance, and the evening
      will, of course, be hosted by his grand vizier, Abrim. Attendees are
      encouraged to re-read "Sourcery," "Pyramids," and "Jingo" for
      costume ideas, but any Discworld-related or evening attire will also
      do nicely. The banquet will be late afternoon/early evening on
      Sunday night, September 6th. Menu choices and prices and how to book
      your reservation will be announced soon.

      *Memberships Update*
      Memberships have now reached close to the 500 member mark and we
      should have an updated online list soon. The current rate will go up
      by US $10 to US $90 after March 31st. We are also planning on
      capping memberships at approximately 900 which is the capacity of
      our main ballroom. The Leprecon, Inc. policy is that memberships are
      non-refundable, but they are transferable. We realize with the
      current state of the economy that some members may end up deciding
      they are not able to come and will want to sell their memberships.
      We have an area on the convention message board where you can post
      about membership sales/transfers and have already had a handful of
      people transfer memberships.

      *Hotel Update*
      The Mission Palms is filling up and we are looking into options for
      official overflow hotels. Make sure that you are using the group
      code when booking rooms at the Mission Palms, otherwise it does show
      no rooms available since we have the entire hotel blocked for the
      convention. We've had several people indicate the hotel was full
      when it actually isn't, yet. The nearest hotel within easy walking
      distance is the Courtyard by Marriott in Tempe which currently has a
      very good rate for the weekend if you are looking to save a bit on
      your hotel and don't mind a short walk. There's also many other
      hotels along the light rail line which stops very close to the
      Mission Palms.

      *Additional Notes*
      We're working on some updates to the convention web site, including
      a Maskarade page, the addition of some of the Frequently Asked
      Questions we've been getting, and updates on what we are planning
      for the convention.

      12.2) IDWCON NEWS AND UPDATES

      From the IDWCon news archives:

      Buy Your memberships now! The membership is now open and ready for
      you to dedicate your allegiance to the First Ever Irish Discworld
      Convention. Sign up quick quick because we have a membership
      limitations

      From the membership page you can apply and volunteer for tech, ops,
      watch or gophering (if you wish) and you can sign up for the posh
      dinner (approx. 35 euros).

      But be weary, here be dangerous monsters.

      http://idwcon.org/membership/

      [Editor's note: I think they mean "be wary", but you never know...]

      For the record, confirmed Guests so far include: Pterry (health
      permitting), Stephen Briggs, Diane Duane and Peter Morwood, Colin
      Smythe, Bernard Pearson the Cunning Artificer, and Jack Cohen. The
      first Irish Discworld Convention will be held in Co. Clare in
      November 2009. The second, in 2011, is already in the planning
      stages, so if you live in or can play your holiday in Ireland to
      coincide with the convention, show your support and get Irish
      Discworld's visible fandom off to a grand start!

      Photos of Sir Pterry celebrating his knighthood with family and
      friends:

      http://www.terrypratchett.co.uk/news/knighthood.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      14) A RIGHT KNIT-WIT: PTERRY'S KNITTING INTERVIEW

      Extracts from an interview with the Master in Yarn Forward magazine,
      and an update on the Pratchgan saga:

      "I doubt very much if Granny Weatherwax could be bothered... and,
      indeed, the same thing with Nanny Ogg. Nanny Ogg would encourage
      other people to knit, and give her the sweater."

      http://tinyurl.com/d4wtx4

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      15) NATION: A REVIEW

      Blogging for a Good Book, the award-winning blog maintained by
      Williamsburg Regional Library, features a thoughtful review by
      blogger Charlotte:

      "Don't skip this because it's a 'kid's book.' Mau's anger and
      grief are the heart of the novel, along with all the big questions:
      how we come to believe in higher powers and whether, after great
      loss, we can continue in those beliefs. It's alternately a
      heartbreaking and a heartwarming story, often quite funny, and as a
      standalone book, a great place to start reading Pratchett if you've
      never done so."

      Charlotte also highly recommends the audiobook version of Nation,
      read by Stephen Briggs -- who commented on the blog to register his
      thanks!

      http://bfgb.wordpress.com/2009/02/26/nation-by-terry-pratchett/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      16) BILL DOOR, STAR OF THE SCREEN

      Den Of Geek give the Death of Discworld a rare five stars in their
      list of top ten Grim Reapers in film and television:

      http://tinyurl.com/bdokpl

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      17) RADIO BIRDSONG STILL WARBLING

      Daily Mail - UK
      "Glyn Jones, operations director at DigitalOne, has said there are
      no immediate plans to close it down. The recording quality has been
      upgraded, and a CD or download of the 20-minute clip is now
      available. News of the reprieve comes after author Terry Pratchett
      said he is a fan of the station."

      http://tinyurl.com/dy9r79

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      18) SAM VIMES: THE READERS' FAVOURITE

      Our own Commander of the Watch easily saw off some stellar
      competition, including Atticus Finch, Mr Darcy, Jo March,
      Heathcliff, Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, and Jane Eyre, to win the
      Leeds Read 2009 place as readers' favourite literary character.
      Rincewind took fourth place, and emo-boy vampire Edward Cullen could
      only manage tenth. Many characters were proposed and a shortlist of
      fifteen was then submitted for voting. Well done, Your Grace!

      http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/leedsread/index.htm

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      19) BUT BUT BUT HE ATE'NT DEAD! ...AS A LETTER TO THE GUARDIAN
      POINTS OUT...

      The Guardian quoted a pair of astonishingly self-satisfied
      "literary" authors:

      "To the University of Manchester, where Martin Amis and Howard
      Jacobson were discussing literature and Britishness last week. 'You
      see before you the last two comic British novelists,' Amis
      announced. 'If I had to pick three pieces of prose to make you
      laugh,' Jacobson said, 'one would be by Martin and the other two
      would be mine.'"

      http://tinyurl.com/ca9k8y

      ...and a fan's letter to the Guardian about that boast...

      "This level of self-congratulation would be hard to take even if it
      were true; which, since Terry Pratchett is Still Not Dead, it isn't,
      and I wrote to the Guardian to say so. I was pleased, on Saturday,
      to see that they had printed my letter..."

      http://shewhomust.livejournal.com/219089.html

      ...made its way to the wider world of Ansible:

      "Someone tell them that it's OK, they can relax: Terry Pratchett is
      still here...."

      http://news.ansible.co.uk/a260.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      20) THE REAL STICK AND BUCKET DANCE...

      For those of you -- especially readers outside the United Kingdom
      -- who have been amused, fascinated or simply mystified by the
      Discworld novels' many references to Morris dancing, a very, very
      funny "mockumentary" called Morris: A Life with Bells On will be of
      interest. Beautifully filmed, with a fine cast including Sir Derek
      Jacobi and Naomie Harris (Tia Dalma from Pirates of the Caribbean),
      this shows Morris dancing as no-one but Jason Ogg and his mates have
      seen it before:

      http://www.morrismovie.com/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      21) ...AND THE KIND OF SHEPHERDING GRANNY ACHING WOULDN'T APPROVE OF

      Slightly off topic, perhaps, but I think Tiffany would be amused and
      so might you, O readers. Here be a short video of the sort of
      "Extreme Shepherding" you'll never see at proper sheepdog trials!
      Don't worry -- it's completely work-safe:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2FX9rviEhw

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      22) STEPHEN PLAYER ILLUSTRATES A DIFFERENT KIND OF FANTASY BOOK

      Game-book author Jonathan Green (or possibly Steve Jackson) has a
      new You Are the Hero book, Stormslayer, illustrated by someone we
      know well -- Stephen Player -- coming out soon:

      "So far I've only had a taste of what Stephen's doing for
      Stormslayer, but that taste has made me hungry for more."

      http://tinyurl.com/bwwwkj

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      23) NEW RHIANNA PRATCHETT WEBSITE

      Stellar games designer and Number One Daughter Rhianna Pratchett has
      launched her own 'portfolio site', which includes various links to
      interviews:

      http://tinyurl.com/cd83w2

      (Includes a nice photo of Rhianna dressed as a sort of Susan Sto
      Helit meets Trinity)

      Rhianna's site:

      http://www.rhiannapratchett.com

      EDITOR'S NOTE: REMEMBER, PARTS 3 THROUGH 6 OF THIS ISSUE WILL FOLLOW
      IN A COUPLE OF DAYS' TIME!

      If you did not get all six parts, write: interact@...