WOSSNAME -- FEBRUARY 2009 -- PART 3 OF 5

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2009
      WOSSNAME -- FEBRUARY 2009 -- PART 3 OF 5 (continued)

      ====Part 3 -- AND MORE...

      13) BROKEN DRUMMERS MEET-UP FOR MARCH
      14) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      15) CONVENTION NEWS
      16) SCIENCE: SO WHAT, FOLLOW-UP
      17) AN ODD REVIEW OF NATION
      18) DESPERATELY SEEKING "MAGIC"
      19) BU CAMPUS NEWSROUND

      13) BROKEN DRUMMERS MEET-UP FOR MARCH

      The Broken Drummers (UK) Discworld meeting group appears to have
      relocated on the web. Updates on meetings and future events can be
      found at:

      http://www.steeljam.co.uk/brokendrummers/

      The next London meeting is on 9th March. Come one, come all. I
      imagine there will be even more than usual to discuss!

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      14) THE DISCWORLD PLAY'S THE THING...

      14.1 WYRD SISTERS AT SOUTHPORT

      The Sefton Theatre Company, Southport will perform Wyrd Sisters next
      month.

      When: Wednesday 11th - Saturday 14th March 2009
      Venue: Southport Arts Centre Studio
      Time: 7:45pm
      Tickets: £7 (£5.50 concessions). Box Office: 01704 540 011

      http://www.seftontheatrecompany.co.uk/about.htm

      14.2 THE TRUTH AT OXFORD

      Parabox Productions return to the OFS, after their successful
      Edinburgh Fringe run of 'Mort', with Terry Pratchett's 'The Truth'
      to celebrate the Discworld's 25th Anniversary.

      When: 3 March - 7 March 2009
      Venue: OFS Studio, Oxford

      http://tinyurl.com/c95udn

      14.3 CARPE JUGULUM AT COLSTERWORTH

      Newton's Players present Terry Pratchett's Carpe Jugulum at
      Colsterworth Village Hall on 6th - 7th March 2009. This follows
      their very successful production of Wyrd Sisters in both Grantham
      and Colsterworth.

      Tickets can be obtained from mark.wesson@... or by
      calling 01476 862039.

      14.4 WYRD SISTERS AT LEICESTER...

      The Leicester University Theatre Society presents their production
      of Wyrd Sisters on 11th-14th March 2009:

      http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lutheatre/LUT_entrance.htm

      [Leicester University Theatre has a beautiful website, but it's so
      flash-heavy that I got dizzy trying to get more info from it.
      They're definitely performing Wyrd Sisters, though... -- Ed.]

      14.5 ...AND IN BEDS

      That's Bedfordshire, actually. A production of Wyrd Sisters at
      Sharnbrook, Beds.

      When: March 24-28
      Time: 7:45 p.m.
      Tickets: 9 GBP to 11 GBP, available from Sharnbrook Post Office or
      Bedford Central Box Office (01234 269519)

      14.6 MASKERADE AT NORWICH

      The Norwich Theatre Royal Youth Theatre Company presents their
      production of Terry Pratchett's Maskerade next month.

      When: March 26-28, 2009
      Venue: Studio Theatre at The Garage
      Time: 7:30 p.m.
      Tickets: 7 GBP, available from Theatre Royal Box Office
      (01603630000) or online

      http://www.theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk

      Editor's note:
      A big "Wotcha!" and thimble of virtual scumble in thanks to From Rim
      to Hub for *their* thank-you to WOSSNAME for Discworld theatre
      information. Good to know the fans have got each other's backs!

      http://www.fromrimtohub.com/

      14.7 REVIEW: WYRD SISTERS AT BASILDON

      The Thalian Theatre Group presented Wyrd Sisters at the Towgate
      Theatre's Mirren Studio:

      "A 20-strong cast rattles through the sprawling material and the
      host of comic parts with zest and some memorable characterisations
      ...this is still a colourful and entertaining night out, with
      Thalian in strong form, not just onstage, but also backstage in
      areas such as costume and pyrotechnics."

      http://tinyurl.com/c8hl2x

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      15) CONVENTION NEWS

      15.1 NADWCON PICKING UP A HEAD OF STEAM!

      NADWCON, the first North American Discworld convention, now has
      over 450 conventioneers pre-signed. Keep those subscriptions coming!
      Remember, Sir Pterry himself is the primary Guest of Honour, so in
      addition to all the other delights and wonders the convention has to
      offer, this could be American conventiongoers' only chance to meet
      the Author Himself.

      To sign up, go to

      http://nadwcon.org

      and click on the Registration link on the left-hand side of the
      page. Prices will be rising after 31st March, but even so the
      attendance price is astonishingly inexpensive at US$80 for the
      entire four-day weekend (Discworld convention organisers in certain
      other parts of the world should take note).

      15.2 AUSDWCON ON THE HOOF

      As you read this, the second Australian Discworld convention is
      taking place in Melbourne. We've been promised a full report for
      next month's issue on the doings, to-ings, fro-ings and goings-on.
      Stay tuned...

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      16) SCIENCE: SO WHAT, UNDER THE MICROSCOPE

      In The Times Online:

      "The Science: So What? initiative seeks to explain its relevance to
      ordinary life by extolling its achievements... It is this openness
      to new evidence, and the value placed on criticism and putting
      things to the test, that makes science so powerful. There may be
      disappointment in being refuted, but there is no shame. As a result,
      it is self-correcting: egregious errors are never left to stand for
      long. This is why the Science: So What? campaign has so many good
      news stories to tell about technology..."

      http://tinyurl.com/acn3dv

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      17) AN ODD REVIEW OF NATION

      A good review, but one gets the feeling that they rather missed the
      whole point of the book:

      http://tinyurl.com/apzrsg

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      18) DESPERATELY SEEKING "MAGIC"

      WOSSNAME reader Charlie Tarbox seeks help to locate the USA DVD of
      The Colour of Magic. He writes:

      "Amazon.com UK seems to have withdrawn it recently. I sent a long
      inquiry to customer service and got a somewhat non responsive reply.
      Is it possible to find out what possibilities are for obtaining
      DVD's in US format of the film? My friends in the UK can only make
      copies of the UK format and that is of no universal use here unless
      you have a multi format machine to play them."

      If anyone can be of assistance, please write to the Editor:

      interact@...

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      19) AROUND THE BU CAMPUS

      19.1 A MAJOR EMBUGGERANCE

      Fuzzy:
      Just watched Pterry on Beeb 2. An embuggerance indeed. It wasn't
      always easy or pleasant to watch a man with such a great mind unable
      to tie a tie, or even to read from a book that he wrote himself, but
      it's definitely worth watching, if only to learn more about
      Alzheimer's and thus understand it better.

      Martinus:
      I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Detritus in connection with the
      Loony Helmet. I would recommend this programme to anybody.

      Fuzzy:
      Blimey, yes! I didn't think of it at the time, but it was very much
      like the thinking helmet. I think Detritus' helmet had more of a
      positive effect than the Loony Helmet, but as Pterry said, not
      getting any worse is almost as good as getting better when it comes
      to Alzheimer's.

      Mrs peculiar:
      Blimey, you're right! I was so taken by the thought that Pterry had
      joined the Borg collective that I never thought of Detritus :-)

      New Bruce:
      ...and it rated better than Neighbours :)

      Fuzzy:
      I watched both :-D

      Mrs Peculiar:
      Yes, it was painful to watch, but I applaud Pterry's decision to
      let the camera crews into his life and it was good to see that his
      wry, sometimes prickly sense of humour is undiminished.

      A friend of mine overseas rang me this afternoon to see if we were
      safely out of the fire zone (blimey, it's made the news in Chicago!)
      and I was telling him about the documentary and about Pterry's work
      on behalf of Alzheimer's research and awareness. My friend's father
      is 82 and an Alzheimer's sufferer, but unlike Pterry he has the
      more classical variety; his short-term memory is completely gone.
      It was my friend's birthday a few days ago, and his father, who
      still remembers things like that clearly, rang him a couple of days
      early to wish him happy birthday...and then, on the day itself,
      rang again. They had the same conversation all over again, but for
      my friend's father, the second time was the first and only time.
      Surreal and scary.

      Fuzzy:
      I can say the second part is well worth watching - much more
      uplifting and positive than the first part was.

      19.2 A MODEST PROPOSAL

      Steven:
      I have a proposal for anyone who is looking for something they can
      do for the people who lost their homes and possessions in the fires.

      Over the next few months, the major charities will be focused on the
      survivor's bodily needs (food, shelter, etc) as much as possible.
      This is important, but I think that we should not forget their minds
      and souls, and I don't necessarily mean in the religious sense.

      I think Pratchett fans should donate books, particularly children's
      books, (not necessarily Pratchett books themselves) to give to the
      survivors. All books will be welcome, I'm sure, but in particular
      "Nation" may be especially valuable. (I'd like every survivor under
      80 to read that book, or failing that, at least every one under
      18.)

      Mogg:
      Excellent idea. My only thought is to hold off for a few weeks --
      these people don't want stuff that needs to be kept in houses,
      because they don't have houses. Multiple people in this situation
      have asked via the media that such things not be offered yet. At
      the moment it's about food and basic necessities like soap, mobile
      phone chargers, stuff like that. They haven't got anywhere to put
      books, or fridges, or furniture.

      Mrs Peculiar:
      OTOH they *will* have homes again. And I can imagine a Fourecksian
      great-granny 75 years from now, fondly reminiscing about surviving
      the Great Bushfire, "...and we lived in a tent for three weeks, and
      all I had to call my own was this magical book..." and proudly
      holding out her ancient, dog-eared[1] copy of Nation for the
      grandbabbies to see...

      [1] And undoubtedly badgered, beared, wolved and possibly somewhat
      hedgehogged by then

      Libwolf:
      "Great-Grandma, what's a book?"

      New Bruce:
      Don't forget audio books for those whose burns and grafts will
      prevent their being able to turn pages for maybe a year or more.

      19.3 THE FIRE DOWN BELOW

      Snow Queen, in California, asked:
      When events in Australia make our evening news, it is definitely a
      big thing. Are all the BUers down there OK?

      A selection of responses followed...

      Mogg:
      OK here, but two of my close colleagues at work have relatives
      missing, and we don't yet know about some of our patients. I'm about
      an hour's drive from some of the worst areas (Kinglake/Whittlesea).
      [A couple of days later, Mogg was suddenly only five minutes' drive
      from fire danger, but all worked out well -- Ed.]

      Libwolf:
      Me & mine are fine -- but Dad has lost a few workmates.

      Dianne:
      We're OK here, the nearest fires to us were away to the west. We've
      lost a volunteer at Births Deaths & Marriages. I spent Saturday
      keeping water up to the wild birds, they were so exhausted and hot
      they didn't move when I refilled their water dishes. I'm making
      flannelette bunny rugs for the wildlife rescue people as they also
      need lots of help.

      New Bruce:
      I'm very thankful to be in one of the states with no fires -- it is
      60% under water. I'm in the part that isn't -- we had half the
      normal rainfall in January and had to start irrigating the cane
      yesterday. If we were on a Discworld one of the elephants could
      wriggle or the turtle could do a banking turn and even it all out.
      I hope everyone stays safe.

      Mrs Peculiar:
      All at the Fortress are fine -- in fact, our suburb isn't getting
      the winds from *any* of the fire areas, so we've not even smelt a
      whiff of smoke all this time[1] -- but yes, several of my friends
      have had deaths among family and friends. It's expected that the
      total death count may run as high as 250 by the time all is over.
      Given that there are barely five million people in all of Victoria,
      that's a significant number :-(

      [1] Which is bizarre, because normally the bushfire season means
      smoky stinging eyes and coughing in our area no matter where the
      fires are. Even more bizarrely, this time the smoke can be seen
      (and smelt?) in the Land of Fog, and yet nothing here.

      New Bruce:
      So, that's life, of a sort, returning to Kinglake:
      http://tinyurl.com/cpjk97

      Mrs Peculiar:
      And it's still burning. A friend of mine was up visiting her parents
      last night. Their property overlooks the Kinglake area, and she took
      some phone photos as the sun set and the night was lit by flames. We
      have weak, orange sunlight today in the northern suburbs, and the
      air stinks of smoke and makes eyes and noses sting. I don't envy
      anyone here with asthma or other respiratory diseases in the next
      few days/weeks :-(

      Bekki:
      I actually had to drive down the Hume Highway on the day after the
      fires started. We stopped for dinner an hour and a half before the
      Kilmore exit (we timed it, cause we wanted to see how long till the
      next food, which happened to be just after Kilmore) and could barely
      breath. We had the a/c in the car on recirculate the whole drive
      down from Sydney (yes, not the best move, but better than the
      smoke), and the smell in the car the next day was still enough to
      choke me.

      I lived in Upwey when the fires burnt through Ferny Creek, and my
      house was at risk. Driving down the Hume Hwy at night, and seeing
      burnt out areas with a few gums that were still alive and burning
      was just as distressing. They were obviously leaving these tiny
      fires (basically just a fork in the tree on fire) to burn themselves
      out, because they couldn't do any more damage and the fire fighters
      would not have had the resources for it.

      19.4 PRATCHETT FANS: THE NEXT GENERATION

      Lady G, commenting on the Red Cross blood drive for injured bushfire
      survivors:
      O'course I canna give blood right now, since am in the process of
      building yet another Discworld fan. I mean hey, somebody's gotta do
      it.

      Steven:
      Woot! Building Discworld fans is a good idea. Anyone else want to
      match it for Pratchett?

      Vera:
      "Muuuuuuum! Mummmyyyy! Wannawannawanna 'lephant! An' a other
      'lephant! An' more 'lephants! An' an' an' a turtle! An' a Blind Io
      an' mountains an' an' an'..."

      19.5 AIRBORNE TURTLES...? WE KNOW ABOUT THOSE!

      New Bruce:
      "One can imagine circumstances in which turtles could become
      airborne, although not of the turtle's volition. It would, however,
      seem quite hard to hit a plane with a tossed turtle. Yet 80 turtles
      suffered this fate, including 23 in New York State. The turtles
      weren't alone. Armadillos are, if anything, even less aerodynamic
      than turtles, yet planes struck 14 of them in Florida, two in
      Louisiana and one in Oklahoma, although Texas armadillos
      successfully avoided aircraft..."

      from New Scientist
      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?1oh9

      End of Part 3, continued on part 4 of 5.