WOSSNAME -- SPECIAL EDITION -- FEBRUARY 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2009
      FEBRUARY 2009

      SPECIAL AUSDWCON 2009 EDITION

      IT'S AUSDWCON TIME!

      1) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      2) AUSDWCON 2009 WANTS *YOU*! A LETTER FROM THE COMMITTEE
      3) THE WAY IT WAS: AUSDWCON 2007
      4) BOOKS FOR THE BUSHFIRE SURVIVORS?

      Once upon a time, "fan convention" was a hopeful phrase that meant
      "several dozen or so lonely fans gathered in the back room of a pub
      to share their love for their favourite books, films or television
      series". And then the Rise of Fandom came and changed that beyond
      recognition, so that nowadays there are vast, glittering events at
      huge venues, all chock-a-block with famous names and queues around
      the block.

      Nullas Anxietas, the Australian Discworld convention, is somewhere
      between those two. Australia is -- for those of you who might not
      have noticed -- far, far away from everywhere else; nonetheless,
      this vast and not-glittering Last Continent boasts one of the
      strongest, most significant Pratchett and Discworld fan populations
      to be found anywhere in Roundworld.

      Two years ago, fans in south-eastern Australia organised the first-
      ever AusDWcon. The organisers put their hearts and souls into it and
      managed to convince the Author himself to attend as Guest of Honour,
      and by all accounts the event was a triumph. More importantly, it
      was fun for the fans.

      This time around there are no famous guests, but apart from that
      AusDWcon 2 offers the same fun, excitement, and Rincewind. So if
      you're in Melbourne, or anywhere nearby, of planning to visit
      Australia at the back end of this month, join the convention and
      show your support!

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      2) A MESSAGE FROM THE AUSDWCON COMMITTEE

      Heya! My name's Nathan and I'm one of the organisers of the
      Australian Discworld Convention, which we'll be running from
      February 27th to March 1st in Melbourne, Victoria. It's now close to
      two weeks to go to the big day, and we hope to see as many of you
      there as possible to help us kick off the second edition of this
      great event.

      To celebrate the upcoming convention, our friends at Snowgum Films
      have released a sequel to the brilliant Run Rincewind Run, which
      they produced to commemorate the first convention. It's only short,
      and it's quite... Australian in its humour, but we think you'll
      enjoy their work. You can check it out on our website located at
      www.ausdwcon.org.

      Our programme is now starting to really come together and will soon
      be updated on our website. We have a lot of exciting events on
      offer, starting with the big ticket items such as the always
      entertaining Opening Ceremony, Trivia Night, Great Debate and of
      course the Gala Dinner, over to a variety of interesting panels and
      performances. These include a collection of one-person performances
      of Terry's short stories, tidbits of footage produced by Snowgum
      Films, and a brand-new show by Martin Pearson.

      We'd also like to remind you of the Gala Dinner, which we are close
      to finalising. We have already taken a lot of bookings for this
      event, which previous attendees will confirm as one of the
      highlights of the convention. We have a new venue this year, the
      Ibis Hotel, and all reports from our Gala Dinner organisers are that
      attendees are in for one exciting evening.

      If any of the the above has taken your fancy and you wish to sign
      up, or if you've already signed up and wish to upgrade your
      membership, please head over to our website at www.ausdwcon.org, or
      stay abreast of new announcements by signing up to our mailing list
      at www.ausdwcon.org/subscribers.

      Thanks!
      Nathan Cooper
      Nullus Anxietas

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      3) THE WAY IT WAS: A RECAP OF THE FIRST AUSDWCON

      3.1) A report, as previously published in WOSSNAME two years ago:

      HANIA OGG IN PTERRYLAND

      I, Hania, attended the main day of this month's AusDWcon in
      Melbourne, Fourecks, as a roving reporter for WOSSNAME. Here
      are some of my observations:

      Terry was fully afraid of me in the morning when I was chatting to
      him in the lobby...(tehehehe) - and remembers me well...*lol*...
      (mostly for my lost wallet last time....he didn't recognise the tits
      at first...)

      The con itself was very fun.

      He signed the tits. One pair for us all (will get pictures) and
      another that I brought along for the breast cancer foundation (which
      he signed "feel a right tit" and drew an arrow pointing to the right
      tit....)

      The plays were excellent - especially Wyrd Sisters - very well done.
      Magrat was gorgeous! And very believable, same as Duke Felmet .The
      performance of Mort wasn't as professional, but there was plenty of
      enthusiasm so I enjoyed it anyway.

      The Young Readers panel was excellent! Some of those kids are bloody
      smart!! Especially the one who was, like, eleven. Most of the kids
      on the panel understood all the punes, jokes and culture references
      in the Discworld books - though one boy of about 17 talked about how
      he didn't get some of the double and single entendres when he was
      younger, and had even more fun when he re-read them pretty recently
      (now that he's a young man of the world, hehehehe).

      I got to go to the ball. I was accosted, like, by a Casanunda, and a
      doctor. An elderly man next to me kept pouring me single malt
      whiskey, and I got to dance all sexy like with the lovely Tania to a
      rendition of "Rubber Ducky". I had a number of people tell me I made
      a great young Ogg!!!!!

      There was a door in one room that had a sign on it. It read, "This
      is not a door"!

      I was seedy by 2.30am and got a taxi home and unbridled my passion.
      Well...undid my corsets, like, sighed with relief, and fell asleep
      with my signed copy of Wintersmith in my hands. What a day it was!

      3.2) A memorable moment Pterry would possibly like to forget:

      The Signing of the Ogg Parts:

      or http://tinyurl.com/d48ynr

      The real Ogg Parts:

      or http://tinyurl.com/d4ml5b

      3.3) PAUL and LIBWOLF Go To AusDWCon

      Q: How was the turnout for the convention - as eyeballed by
      yourself, erm, selves?

      Paul: Let's see - two, three hundred on Saturday for The Master's
      Speech. All shapes and sizes. Youngest was Bub in Arms, eldest A
      Crone on Broomstick. Possibly more on Sunday, going from other
      people's pics.

      Libwolf: But Only One Wolf!

      Q: Can you tell me about the events? - the ones you attended (or
      missed!)?

      Paul: Friday night and most of Saturday (missing The Dinner) -
      Pratchett V's Rowling, Wyrd Sisters (most of it), Mort (Magrat!
      *droool*) Umm...Terry's Speech, Guide to Newbies. And Thud Training,
      but that went straight over my head.

      Wolf: We went to everything, of course! The Ceremonial Rowling BBQ,
      the Break into Terry's Rooms to Try to Steal his PDA to Get the New
      Stuff (Bastard keeps it on him!), stealing staircases from the hotel
      - the usual.

      Q: What were your overall impressions of AusDWcon - how well/poorly
      it ran, how well/poorly it seemed to be organised, whether there was
      enough/too much time between events, etc...?

      Paul: Did very well for a first time con - they had a great
      committee & some help from the UK girls & guys. A different site may
      have improved things - layout was odd and was impersonal. Dealers
      were a bit thin on the ground, but that's to be expected the first
      time out.

      Q: What were your favourite moments?

      Paul: Toss-up between Pterry jumping in on the Pratchett V's Rowling
      debate and Rincewind's "YOU BASTARD!" to Terry.

      Wolf: Heh heh heh - that's between me and the three young...- heh
      heh heh

      Q: Now, about that ol' 'Discworld-y spirit' - was there any? - if
      so, how much?

      Paul: Well, lots of Discworld Fans, admiration of T-shirts (if I
      remember, I'll send a pic of my OOK! shirt). Discworld flavour to
      things, certainly.

      Wolf: Spirits? Spirits? There was wine and beer, but I didn't see
      any spirits!

      Q: People in costume - any good 'uns?

      Paul: Two duck girls, a few Susans, a couple of great Grannys. And
      Young Nanny Ogg of course. I'll sort though my pics and post a few
      of the goodies. There is always
      http://www.flickr.com/groups/nullus_anxietas/ for more.

      Wolf: There were people in costume? That's not how they normally
      dress!?! Could have fooled me...

      Q: What were your impressions of Pterry himself (and his reaction to
      Hania, if witnessed)? I know you've met him before at signings.

      Paul: He did seem very tired - maybe next time The Con could fly him
      and her out a week early, give him a chance to relax. He did really
      spark up during the Pratchett vs Rowling debate - was sitting up the
      back at the start and just couldn't keep out of it - ended up on the
      panel. And hearing him talking about gold and silversmithing was
      great. Little silver beees! As for Hania - "You again!"

      Wolf: He was so tired I got away with one of his teeth!

      Q: Did you see both plays, Wyrd Sisters and Mort? - and if so, your
      verdict(s) on them?

      Paul: Loved both of them - didn't get to see the end of Mort (Let's
      see - watch rest of this play...Listen to The Master...no contest
      ...). Would cheerfully have sat and watched them again.

      Wolf: All they needed (apart from starting on time!) was an
      orangutan in the front row with a bag of peanuts! No Lords or Ladies
      spotted.

      Q: Was there karaoke as threatened or did they ~cough cough~
      Rincewind out?

      Wolf: Just myself on the golf course, singing at the top of my
      lungs!

      Paul & Wolf: Bring on the next one! We'll both be there!

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      4) BOOKS ARE NOT FOR BURNING...

      ...but, as we've suggested to the AusDWcon organisers, it would be a
      lovely gesture to donate some Pratchett books to the bushfire
      appeal. As the whole world knows, Australia is reeling in the wake
      of the deadliest bushfire in its history. Some 7,500 survivors have
      lost their homes to the fires and have nothing -- no possessions, no
      clothing, nothing -- and now have to rebuild their lives. For the
      children of the dispossessed families, toys and books are perhaps as
      important as clothing and shelter. And what better story to give
      hope for the future than, for instance, Nation -- a tale of a young
      person who has to rebuild his life and community after losing
      everything.

      More on this in the main issue. Have a happy AusDWcon!

      -- Annie Mac