WOSSNAME -- JANUARY 2009 -- PART 1 OF 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2009
      JANUARY 2009 (Volume 12, Issue 1)
      WOSSNAME is a FREE publication for members of the worldwide
      Editor Emeritus (retd): Joseph Schaumburger
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      time)

      ====Part 1 -- ALL THE NEWS THAT FITS

      1) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      2) THE KNIGHTHOOD, CONTINUED
      3) NATION: NEWS AND UPDATES
      4) MORE ALZHEIMER'S NEWS AND SUCH
      5) PRATCHETT PROMOTES SCIENCE
      6) INTERVIEWS OF NOTE
      7) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      8) MAKING MONEY: NEBULA AWARD NOMINATION

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS, REVIEWS AND STUFF

      9) READING DISCWORLD NOVELS: IT'S A MUST
      10) PTERRY MEETS TWITTER...ISH
      11) PRATCHETT'S GREAT PLEASURE
      12) BEARD OF THE YEAR, NOT QUITE
      13) DISCWORLD MINIATURES: LATEST FIGURINES UPDATE
      14) DISCWORLD GAMES NEWS
      15) GOING POSTAL: A REVIEW
      16) PAUL KIDBY INTERVIEWED
      17) IMAGE OF THE MONTH
      18) MOIST VON LIPWIG: A HERO DECONSTRUCTED
      19) A CROCHETED DAFT WULLIE?!
      20) DISCWORLD FAN ART
      21) TALES FROM L-SPACE: THE HOLY ANORANKH
      22) LOOK WHO HAS A BLOG...
      23) RISE OF THE DARK CLERKS
      24) WHERE ROUNDWORLD MEETS KOOM VALLEY: ANYONE FOR TROLL TEETH?
      25) THE VIMES THEORY OF BOOTS INVADES THE BLOGOSPHERE

      ====Part 3 -- HOROSCOPE, LATE BREAKING NEWS, AND CLOSE

      26) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE
      27) FROM BU: A LITTLE KNIGHT MUSIC

      So there I was, thinking January would be a quiet month in
      Pratchettland after all the Hogswatch celebrations. No chance! Ah
      well, at least it's all good and interesting news.

      The discussion groups *have* been quiet, though. It's almost as if,
      between the success of Nation and the frenzied press activity
      surrounding Pterry-is-Sir-Terry-now, the Pratchett has gone from the
      best-kept secret of millions of book-buyers to an international icon
      who has -- to paraphrase another famous Knight when he played a
      certain famous knight -- taken his first step into a larger world.
      Like Luke Skywalker, Terry Pratchett belongs to everyone now... and
      that, dear readers, is a wonderful thing. But hey, we knew him when!

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      2) "BRAVE SIR PTERRY...", CONTINUED

      2.1 ONCE MORE, WITH VISUALS

      "I don't think I got the knighthood for having a disease..." Sir
      Pterry in his own words, interviewed on camera by the BBC:

      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7805468.stm

      2.2 PRESS AND INTERNET

      "Pratchett told The Bookseller: 'I really am in a very English way
      – you know beforehand so it's not exactly a surprise when a
      whole load of journalists descend – just flabbergasted especially
      as I will now be married to a Lady after all these years.' ... Asked
      whether the knighthood might help him in this campaign work he said:
      'One imagines the "K" on the name will help the Alzheimer society
      work but I have got it for services to literature – that's what
      it says on the tin.'"

      http://tinyurl.com/8sxmk2

      Neil Gaiman's reaction:

      "Let's see. The biggest and the best news of the day is that Terry
      Pratchett is now Sir Terrence[sic] of Pratchett. Hurrah. I shall doff my
      cap the next time I see him. It will be the best-doffed cap in the
      land. I shall buy a cap first, specially."

      http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2008_12_01_archive.html

      The Alzheimer's research society is, naturally, pleased:

      http://tinyurl.com/aeughy

      ...as are the folk in his area:

      http://tinyurl.com/a32brb

      ...and those smarmy gi-, erm, nice people at The Guardian:

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/dec/31/new-year-honours-list

      ...while The Independent explains what this knighthood lark is all
      about, anyway:

      http://tinyurl.com/6wx87b

      ...as Tor.com points out that no other fantasy writer has ever been
      dubbed before:

      http://tinyurl.com/aywrga

      ...and so on. There have been dozens -- nay, scores -- of articles
      about this, but as most are identical or nearly so, I doubt you'd
      want the full list of links. Of course, if you really do, feel free
      to write in with a request! -- Ed.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      3) NATION NEWS

      3.1 STILL A BESTSELLER IN CANADA

      ...and still in the top ten:

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?1n9j

      3.2 PRINTZ AWARD

      Nation has received a silver seal, one of four highly regarded
      Michael L. Printz Honor Awards, from the American Library
      Association's Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA):

      "Pratchett's trademark humor leavens this epic tale of ravaged
      islands, shipwrecked nobles and survival."

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?1n9u

      "Terry Pratchett tackles big issues in a book that manages to be
      entertaining while offering middle school readers lots to think
      about... In an action-packed tale, Pratchett touches on the meaning
      of religion and science, empire and colonialism, death, leadership,
      politics and royalty. It's a thumping good read that is sure to find
      a wide audience among fans of alternative history, fantasy and
      adventure stories."

      http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2009/012009/01272009/441116

      An article on the Globe Newswire gives the full list of books:

      http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/news.html?d=158310

      3.3 NATION AUDIOBOOK AWARD FOR STEPHEN BRIGGS

      The multitalented Stephen Briggs has been given an Odyssey Honor
      Award for Excellence in Audiobook Production by the American Library
      Association for his reading of Nation for HarperChildren's
      Audio/HarperCollins (as reviewed in WOSSNAME recently). Nice one,
      m'lord Patri-, that is, Mr Briggs!

      http://tinyurl.com/bctytz

      3.4 A NEW DISTINCTION

      Here's a message from from Pterry's Young Adult books editor at
      HarperCollins on the subject of the Printz award:

      "And now we have the excellent news from the American Library
      Association (ALA) that NATION is both an ALA Notable Children's Book
      and on the Best Books for Young Adults Top Ten list. Both Notable
      and BBYA are fine, fine distinctions that help promote and sell
      books. Terry's books have been on both lists before (I think all of
      the Tiffany Aching books are on both lists), but this is his first
      showing on the BBYA Top Ten. Hooray! NATION is also the only book
      that was honored by both the Top Ten and Printz Committee."

      [Thanks to Colin Smythe for the above item -- Ed.]

      3.5 ON CAMERA: THE MAN HIMSELF

      "There's nothing Disney about it": a video clip of Pterry talking
      about Nation on the HarperTeen website:

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?1ndz

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      4) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S: THE LATEST NEWS

      4.1 LIVING WITH ALZHEIMER'S DOCUMENTARY: A REMINDER

      On BBC2:

      Part 1 : Wednesday 4th February at 21:00 GMT
      Part 2 : Wednesday 11th February at 21:00 GMT

      4.2 A NEW BLACK HAT FOR THE MASTER

      As originally reported in The Northern Echo:

      "THE idea that patients with Alzheimer's disease might be able to
      slow down, or even reverse their dementia by wearing a therapeutic
      helmet sounds like pure science fiction. But, as The Northern Echo
      reveals today, one of the world's best-selling fantasy writers, Sir
      Terry Pratchett, has been using such a helmet..."

      "Dr Dougal, who was aware of Sir Terry's interest in finding ways
      of treating Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia, was glad to
      help... 'When Sir Terry's people contacted me I was very happy to
      help,' he says. 'We made another prototype helmet and he has had
      that since last August.'"

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?1n9r

      Also in The Daily Mail, with photos of the helmet:

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?1n9s

      ...and the Daily Mail again, with a photo of the helmet on its
      famous wearer -- could this be proof that Pterry has been
      assimilated by the Borg, we wonder... Discutus of Borg?

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?1n9t

      The IT Examiner has reprinted the article with an appropriate sub-
      heading -- The Light Fantastic:

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?1n9v

      The Alzheimer's Society reminds us that it's early days yet:

      "We welcome any new initiatives to help fight dementia, but the
      infra-red helmet is still at an early stage of research. We need a
      proper clinical trial to determine whether or not it is a safe and
      effective treatment... It is vital that we do not generate false
      hope and that all potential treatments are rigorously tested."

      http://tinyurl.com/cu62g2

      4.3 A STEP FORWARD IN THE BATTLE

      from the Tenerife News:
      "All NHS GPs in England are to be trained to spot the early symptoms
      of dementia, under government plans. Ministers also want to set up
      'memory clinics' to help the growing number of patients live as
      normally as possible... Terry Pratchett, dementia campaigner, said:
      'As well as national training for GPs, we'd like to see memory
      clinics in every town, where people can go for treatment and support
      to help them live their life as normally as possible.' "

      http://tinyurl.com/adghdj

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      5) THE SCIENCE OF...ROUNDWORLD

      Terry Pratchett and Bill Bryson are among the high-profile science
      fans who have been invited to Downing Street for a debate on how to
      promote science, supported by UK science minister Lord Drayson. A
      campaign, "Science (So What? So Everything)" has been launched, with
      the aim of making the public more "science-literate",including a
      website with information on relevant careers and events:

      www.direct.gov.uk/sciencesowhat

      Various events, including National Science and Engineering Week (in
      March) and regional science festivals, will be held throughout the
      year. According to Whitehall, up to 2.9 million new jobs could be
      created in the fields of science and technology by 2017.

      http://tinyurl.com/cz8qdn

      http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page18151

      And here is The Guardian's article on it, with photo:

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?1ng1

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      6) SOME GOOD PTERRY INTERVIEWS

      6.1 IN THE IRISH TIMES

      by Donal Clarke

      "The Discworld books may not be to everybody's taste, but they are
      humane, funny and stuffed full of big ideas. He deserves the
      knighthood he got this month and (more importantly) his status of
      Confirmed National Treasure... I suspect that Terry has a few more
      books in him yet. We tend to use the word "fighter" sentimentally
      when discussing people with life-threatening conditions, but
      Pratchett really does manage to sound like a man who will battle to
      the (distant, I trust) end."

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?1n9o

      6.2 IN THE BOOKSELLER

      by Alison Flood

      "It's one of those things—the big literary people get the kudos
      and the chance at the big literary prizes. The rest of us can go off
      with the money."

      http://tinyurl.com/7btjpd

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      7) THE PLAY'S THE THING: DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS

      7.1 WYRD SISTERS IN SOUTHPORT

      Sefton Theatre Company are performing Wyrd Sisters in March.

      Where: Southport Art Centre Studio
      When: Wednesday 11th to Saturday 14th March 2009
      Time: all evening performances start at 7:45pm.
      Tickets: £5.50 and £7.00
      Box Office: 01704 540011

      7.2 CARPE JUGULUM IN COLSTERWORTH

      Newton's Players, are putting on a production of Terry Pratchett's
      Carpe Jugulum. This follows on from their very successful production
      of Terry Pratchett's Wyrd Sisters in both Grantham and Colsterworth.

      Where: Colsterworth Village Hall
      When: 6th and 7th March 2009.
      Tickets: can be obtained from mark.wesson@... or by
      calling 01476 862039.

      7.3 MAKING MONEY IN ADELAIDE

      Adelaide's Bakehouse Theatre continues what is now a well-
      established tradition of presenting Discworld plays with the
      offering of an adaptation of Making Money, in March.

      Where:Unseen Theatre Company, The Bakehouse, 255 Angas Street
      Adelaide
      When: April 10 to 25th (Wed. to Sat.)
      Tickets: $18/$15 Available by writing to
      book@...

      7.4 REVIEWS OF WYRD SISTERS IN ABINGDON

      by Filmknitter

      "Granny Weatherwax was the spitting image of Paul Kidby's excellent
      drawings, inspired by the books, and got the perfect balance between
      'stubborn old woman' and 'most powerful witch of her time'. Nanny
      Ogg was suitably bawdy... Stephen Briggs, as Vitoller, was even
      better than we had expected... I'm now very much looking forward to
      the STC's next Discworld play, due November 2009 I believe, and
      would recommend any Discworld fans in the area to look out for it,
      but book early..."

      http://tinyurl.com/bnadq5

      ...and by Carsten Schmitt

      "The play was tremendously funny and staged with an eye for detail.
      The actors were good and I dare say they enjoyed it as much as the
      audience. A thoroughly enjoyable experience and I will keep my eyes
      open for the next performance!"

      http://tinyurl.com/ad6hbv

      8) MAKING MONEY NOMINATED FOR A NEBULA AWARD

      http://www.sfwa.org/news/2009/08nebprelim.htm

      http://tinyurl.com/d385n4

      End of Part 1, continued on Part 2 of .
      If you did not get all --- parts, write: interact@...