WOSSNAME -- JANUARY 2009 EARLY EDITION

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2009
      JANUARY 2009 (Volume 12, Issue 1)
      WOSSNAME is a FREE publication for members of the worldwide
      Editor Emeritus (retd): Joseph Schaumburger
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      time)

      ====Part 1 -- EARLY EDITION: ALL THE NEWS THAT FITS

      1) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
      2) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      3) SO, HOW *DOES* ONE PRONOUNCE 'SIR PTERRY'?
      4) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S: NEWS
      5) NATION AT THE NATIONAL THEATRE
      6) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      7) AN AFP MEET-UP
      8) CALLING ALL DISCWORLD SONGLIST VOLUNTEERS
      9) CONVENTION NEWS
      10) DISCWORLD COLLECTABLES NEWS
      11) TEMPORARY CLOSE

      1) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

      "Terry promised to 'scream and harangue' about dementia research. He
      did much more than that. He became a voice for the 700,000 people in
      the UK who live with dementia but cannot scream and harangue so
      loudly. Dementia research is still vastly under-funded, but this is
      changing thanks to Terry's incredible work."

      -- Rebecca Wood, chief executive of the Alzheimer's Research Trust

      "I would like to congratulate Terry on this fantastic and well-
      deserved achievement. Terry is not only a successful author and
      well-loved public figure; he is also playing a key role in fighting
      the misunderstanding and stigma surrounding dementia."

      -- Neil Hunt, chief executive of the Alzheimer's Society

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      2) FROM THE EDITOR: TO SIR OR NOT TO SIR...?

      This weekend coincides with the great Fourecksian national holiday
      of More Beer Than Usual Day, otherwise known as Australia Day, so
      I'm going away for a few days. But there are some hot news items
      that simply couldn't wait, so what you have here on your screen is
      an 'early edition'. More news, assorted items and our usual WOSSNAME
      features will follow at the back end of next week, I promise.

      It's something of a tradition in the arts world that persons who
      receive a knighthood or other posh title tend to forego using it at
      work (when's the last time you saw the DVD of Spinal Tap "starring
      Lord Haden-Guest"?). In keeping with this, WOSSNAME will largely
      continue referring to the master as Pterry, Terry Pratchett or Mr
      Pratchett, unless Sir Pterry lets it be known otherwise. Just
      saying...

      In other news, WOSSNAME would like to extend heartfelt
      congratulations and raise a thimble of salutatory scumble to Joe
      Schaumburger, our founder and former editor, on the occasion of his
      recent marriage. Well done Joe and Frances, and may you make it to
      that combination 120th birthday and 41st anniversary party in good
      health!

      Right, on with the show.

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      3) SO, HOW *DOES* ONE PRONOUNCE 'SIR PTERRY'?

      User Friendly says it nicely:

      http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20090104

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      4) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S: THE LATEST NEWS

      LIVING WITH ALZHEIMER'S DOCUMENTARY

      BBC2

      Part 1 : Wednesday 4th February @ 21:00 GMT
      Part 2 : Wednesday 11th February @ 21:00 GMT

      Trailers will be broadcast between now and transmission and we will
      keep you updated with the latest times here:

      BBC 2
      Wednesday 21st January @ 21.59 GMT
      Thursday 22nd January @ 11:59 GMT
      Thursday 22nd January @ 20:00 GMT
      Thursday 22nd January @ 23:36 GMT

      Thanks to PJSM Prints for the heads-up. There will be behind-the-
      scenes photographs up on their site soon!

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      5) NATION AT THE NATIONAL: AT LAST, THE BIG TIME BECKONS

      Nation is to be adapted for the London stage as the National
      Theatre's new family epic in November 2009.

      5.1 THE PLAY ITSELF

      From the press release at
      http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/download.php?id=4885

      Following the highly successful productions of His Dark Materials,
      Coram Boy and most recently War Horse, Nation will be adapted by
      Mark Ravenhill. Directed by Melly Still, the production will open in
      the Olivier Theatre in November and is sponsored by Accenture,
      supporters of Innovation at the National Theatre.

      Terry Pratchett's Nation is a brilliantly wise and witty story about
      two children from cultures a world apart coming of age on a desert
      island, which challenges the way we think about identity, nationhood
      and the history of the Empire.

      Nation was published by Doubleday in September 2008.

      Terry Pratchett is one of today's most popular and successful
      authors. Creator of the phenomenally successful Discworld series
      which has enjoyed global sales of over 55 million copies, he
      received a Knighthood in the New Year Honours list. His first junior
      Discworld novel, The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents, was
      awarded the Carnegie Medal. Several of his works have been adapted
      for television, including The Colour of Magic and Hogfather.

      Praise for Nation includes:

      "A wonderful story, by turns harrowing and triumphant. Mau and
      Daphne are tremendously appealing characters" The New York Times

      "an enchanting novel" The Times

      "This is Pratchett operating at the peak of his powers. Nation's
      often very funny, the characters are adorable, the plot
      intriguing... Nation is wryly hilarious throughout." Death Ray

      * * *

      from The Stage:

      "Pratchett's story is being adapted for the stage by Mark Ravenhill,
      the playwright best known for controversial works such as Shopping
      and F**king and Mother Clap's Molly House. He has also written plays
      in the National's Connections programme of work for young people and
      a pantomime for the Barbican Centre."

      http://tinyurl.com/8hqh3y

      * * *

      From The Bookseller:

      "There has been a huge appreciation of the slightly older family
      shows. We were looking for a successor – we were looking for one
      in that sort of tradition. Nation was one of the many books we have
      read – our directors thought it filled the bill."

      http://tinyurl.com/bxrv6d

      * * *

      From the London Theatre Guide:

      "Described by National Theatre Artistic Director Nicholas Hytner as
      'a wonderful book and, I suspect, perfect for an Olivier
      adaptation', Nation is set on a desert island following a tsunami
      which wiped out most of the population. The stage version, which
      opens in the Olivier theatre in November, is adapted for an audience
      as young as nine by playwright Mark Ravenhill and directed by Coram
      Boy's Melly Still."

      http://tinyurl.com/cejof4

      5.2 POSSIBLE CINEMA TRANSMISSION?

      "Britain's National Theatre announced Wednesday it will beam live
      performances to movie theaters around the world in a bid to widen
      its audience and test the public's appetite for watching stage plays
      onscreen.

      "The first of four planned simulcasts will be a June 25 performance
      of Jean Racine's tragedy 'Phedre' starring Academy Award-winning
      actress Helen Mirren and 'Mamma Mia' heartthrob Dominic Cooper.

      "The three other plays have yet to be chosen."

      http://tinyurl.com/b75oqf

      "The National Theatre will broadcast four of its performances live
      in UK cinemas in an effort to bring its work to a wider audience, it
      has announced. Cinema tickets will cost £10 while theatre tickets
      will be reduced because of disruption caused by cameras.

      "The theatre said the four performances will be relayed to 50
      independent and arts cinemas. It is in talks with the Picturehouse
      cinema chain over the screenings, a spokesman said. It will cost
      about £50,000 to relay each of the four shows by satellite."

      [Let's hope that Nation is one of those four! -- Ed.]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      6) THEY PLAY'S THE THING: DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS

      6.1 WYRD SISTERS IN LIVERPOOL

      The Wavertree Garden Suburb Institute in Liverpool will present
      Terry Pratchett's Wyrd Sisters (adapted for the stage by
      Stephen Briggs).

      Where: The Little Theatre, Wavertree Garden Suburb Institute, 149
      Thingwall Road, Liverpool, L15 7XJ
      When: Saturday 24th - Tuesday 27th January 2009
      Doors open: 7:15pm
      Performance: 7:45pm
      Tickets: £5, available by calling 0151 220 5909 or 0151 427 5842.

      6.2 ...AND IN SOUTHPORT

      Sefton Theatre Company are performing Wyrd Sisters in March.

      Where: Southport Art Centre Studio
      When: Wednesday 11th to Saturday 14th March 2009
      Time: all evening performances start at 7:45pm.
      Tickets: £5.50 and £7.00
      Box Office: 01704 540011

      6.3 CARPE JUGULUM IN COLSTERWORTH

      Newton's Players, are putting on a production of Terry Pratchett's
      Carpe Jugulum. This follows on from their very successful production
      of Terry Pratchett's Wyrd Sisters in both Grantham and Colsterworth.

      Where: Colsterworth Village Hall
      When: 6th and 7th March 2009.
      Tickets: can be obtained from mark.wesson@... or by
      calling 01476 862039.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      7) AFP MEET THIS WEEKEND

      David Damerell writes:

      Saturday the 24th January is as close as weekends come to the
      eleventh anniversary of me flouncing out of afp, so it seems like a
      good time for an afp (and ex-afp?) meet.

      The Pembury Tavern, in Hackney, has an extensive selection of real
      ale, some real cider, a decent kitchen, a bar billiards table, free
      wireless, and no music - and at least one ex-afp type behind the
      bar.

      http://www.individualpubs.co.uk/pembury/ may be of some interest.
      The pub is right next to Hackney Downs station and a few minutes'
      walk from Hackney Central, as well as being surrounded by London's
      extensive bus network.

      The kitchen stops at 1500 so I propose to start about 1400, so as to
      get lunch in to soak up the moist delicious beer.

      I'll read the ensuing thread (if any) on afp to answer any questions
      that might come up.

      -- David Damerell <damerell@...>

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      8) CALLING ALL DISCWORLD SONGLIST VOLUNTEERS

      Shoshana of From Rim to Hub writes:

      I run the Discworld fansite www.FromRimToHub.com

      I and a couple of other fans have started a Discworld playlist
      (http://www.fromrimtohub.com/playlist/) where, basically, songs that
      match the characters and books, or just fit into the Discworld, are
      being archived. Sarah (the person whose idea this was) said, "This
      is where you'll find music that relates to (hopefully, eventually)
      most aspects of the Discworld universe created by the seriously
      awesome and ridiculously brilliant Terry Pratchett."

      So far we have songs for Men At Arms (I'll Make A Man Out Of You,
      from Mulan), Rincewind (Your Horoscope For Today, by Weird Al),
      Carrot (Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life, by of course the
      classic Monty Python people), and others.

      I thought this would be something readers of WOSSNAME might enjoy
      looking at. We'd love also for them to send some suggestions, to
      fromrimtohub@..., to expand the project.

      Shoshana B
      Webmaster, www.FromRimToHub.com

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      9) CONVENTION NEWS

      9.1 IDWC

      The first Irish Discworld Convention will take place on 6th-9th
      November 2009 at the gorgeous Falls Hotel in Ennistymon, Co. Clare,
      with guests of honour Terry Pratchett and Stephen Briggs:

      http://idwcon.org/

      9.2 GERMAN DISCWORLD CONVENTION

      The German Discworld Convention 2009 will be held at Castle Bilstein
      from 14-16th August:

      http://www.scheibenwelt-convention.de/wiki/index.php/Start
      http://www.scheibenwelt-convention.de/wiki/index.php/Programm

      9.3 NADWCON: SEPTEMBER IS SOONER THAN YOU THINK...

      http://www.nadwcon.org/

      9.4 ...AND AUSDWCON IS EVEN SOONER THAN THAT

      Nullus Anxietas 2: Feb 27th to Mar 1st, 2009

      The second Australian Discworld Convention will be held at Storey
      Hall, RMIT University in Melbourne, Victoria.

      http://ausdwcon.org/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      10) DISCWORLD COLLECTABLES NEWS

      Remember, sales of PJSM Prints Discworld collectables go to support
      Pterry's favourite charities. The RICE Centre has now been added to
      the list of beneficiaries.

      10.1 GUILD OF ASSASSINS CREST

      A limited run of 200 Ankh-Morpork Guild of Assassins shields will be
      available to buy from 23rd January. Don't miss out! For details,
      check out www.pjsmprints.com -- given how quickly the other limited
      edition badges sold out completely, you'd best be quick.

      Also coming soon: the Vetinari family crest, and the Great A'Tuin
      mission patch.

      http://www.pjsmprints.com/pins/index.html

      10.2 WONDERFUL BUTTON BADGES

      PJSM Prints are offering a varied selection of forty-odd different
      pin-backed badges, featuring details of Paul Kidby's well-known
      Discworld illustrations, as well as various familiar slogans and a
      few surprises (including my personal favourite, showing a certain
      familiar-looking hand giving a gesture of...well, you'll have to go
      look). The badges look terrific and sell for only £1 each.

      http://www.pjsmprints.com/badges/index.html

      10.3 SOME VERY SPECIAL SIGNED FIRST EDITIONS

      For the Discworld collector with a bit more money to spend, there
      are some irresistible special items available. These include 120
      signed copies of the UK softcover proof of Nation (unpriced; make an
      offer by email), a hardcover copy of The Last Hero (deluxe edition)
      signed by both author and artist (£125), and -- wait for it -- a
      chance to buy your own signed first edition copy of the famous and
      elusive Once More* With Footnotes, as originally published in honour
      of Pterry's being GOH at Noreascon 2004, for £550!

      http://www.pjsmprints.com/collectables/index.html

      [Editor's note: this is me, carefully hiding our copy of OM*WF
      (bought at standard price a while back) under a plain brown
      dustjacket...]

      11) ...AND THAT'S ALL FOR THE MOMENT

      Stay tuned. Have a lovely weekend and we'll see you next week!

      -- Annie Mac

      End of Part 1.
      If you have any queries, write: interact@...