WOSSNAME -- DECEMBER 2008 -- PART 2 OF 4

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2008
      WOSSNAME -- DECEMBER 2008 -- PART 2 OF 4 (continued)

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS...

      9) CONVENTION NEWS
      10) MICRO ART STUDIO DISCWORLD FIGURINES UPDATE
      11) PRATCHETT: A WEAPON IN THE WAR ON BAD GRAMMAR
      12) FOLKLORE OF DISCWORLD DVD GIVEAWAY
      13) ONLINE REVIEW OF SMALL GODS
      14) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
      15) REVIEW: THE TURTLE MOVES!
      16) MR PIN FOUND...IN A POTATO
      17) A DISCWORLD DIRECTOR'S LEARNING CURVE
      18) ABP BITS

      9) CONVENTION NEWS

      9.1 THE DWCON DVD COMETH

      from http://www.dwcon.org/news/display-item.php?newsid=161

      "The anniversary DVD, first made available to Convention members at
      the event, is now available for sale online. I do apologise for the
      delay in making this service available: the original price will now
      not change this year. This means that the DVD will be available at
      £10 plus postage and packing. There will be no price rise before
      2009.

      "It may take 5 days to process online orders, so the latest that a
      UK resident could make an order and confidently hope to take
      delivery before Christmas would be 10th December. For other
      destinations, orders would have to be made on or before 8th December
      to have a reasonable chance of arriving before Christmas.

      "DVDs will begin shipping on 8th December. UK residents who made
      orders at the convention should receive their DVDs in that calendar
      week (i.e. by 13th December).

      "Please note that the DWCon web site will be undergoing maintenance
      at some point during the final days of the year, so online sales may
      be disrupted from December 20th onwards."

      9.2 GERMAN DISCWORLD CONVENTION 2009

      ...or, as it's called in Germany, Scheibenwelt-Fest! Convention
      organiser Jens Kleine writes:

      The German Discworld Convention 2009 will take place at Castle
      Bilstein from August the 14th to the 16th. The festival will be
      Unseen University themed. Registration and more information can be
      found in form of a bilingual wiki at:

      http://www.discworld-convention.de

      Ideas, suggestions, workshop instructors and helpers are always
      welcome! Surprise presents for early registrations!

      9.3 AUSTRALIAN DISCWORLD CONVENTION 2009

      Nullus Anxietas 2: The Second Australian Discworld Convention will
      take place from February 27 to March 1 2009 in Melbourne at Storey
      Hall, RMIT, 342 Swanston Street.

      For more information, ticket prices, etc, go to:
      http://ausdwcon.org

      To join the AusDWcon mailing list:
      http://ausdwcon.org/subscribers

      [Editor's note: Bring a cushion. I can tell you from personal
      experience that the seats at Storey Hall can be torture!]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      10) MORE DISCWORLD FIGURINES ON THE WAY

      Sculptor Kul Asyrk has posted photos of the greens for three new
      Discworld miniatures: Susan Sto Helit, Nobby Nobbs and The Luggage:

      http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2008/12/10/20848

      These will eventually join the Micro Art Studio Discworld figurines
      collection, as featured here recently:

      http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/discworld-miniatures-c-48.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      11) BEWARE THOSE MULTIPLE EXCLAMATION MARKS...

      In Great Falls, Montana, Simms High School's English teacher Mike
      Schwabenbauer is waging a war for the cause of good grammar, and
      uses Terry Pratchett's quotation about excessive exclamation marks
      in his battles. Go Mike!

      http://www.greatfallstribune.com/article/20081209/NEWS01/812090303

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      12) FOLKLORE OF DISCWORLD DVD GIVEAWAY

      To celebrate the book release of The Folklore of Discworld, SciFi
      Online have five DVD copies of The Folklore of Discworld up for
      grabs. Answer the question and send in your details to enter the
      prize draw.

      http://your.loquax.co.uk/goto.htm?compid=94476

      (requires registration)

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      13) ONLINE REVIEW OF SMALL GODS

      Novelist Jay Lake:

      "Brutha has one of the most amazing character arcs I've ever seen
      in fiction. Regardless of what you think of Pratchett, fantasy or
      humor in genre, this book is worth reading for the sake of studying
      what Pratchett does with Brutha's transformation, and how he does
      it."

      http://tinyurl.com/65otsr

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      14) IMAGES OF THE MONTH: WONDERFUL DISCWORLD FANART

      Some gems from the back catalogue of artist Lady Twatterby:

      Mmm, Klatchian coffee:
      http://tinyurl.com/443m9l

      Lu-Tze and his bonsai mountain:
      http://tinyurl.com/48sgpe

      The Chairman of the Bank and his pet Patrician:
      http://tinyurl.com/4oejt5

      Miss Treason and her skulls:
      http://tinyurl.com/4ja5pw

      "Are you smiling, Vimes?":
      http://tinyurl.com/4czh66

      Also, a post from Lady Twatterby's blog, containing an extract from
      one of her Discworld fan-comics, plus some fine Discworld-based user
      icons:
      http://lady-twatterby.livejournal.com/48805.html?nc=35

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      15) THE TURTLE MOVES! REVIEW

      A review by John Enzinas

      "On the plus side, as I said before he is very much a fan of the
      series and is not ashamed to show it while still being willing to
      point out things that he did not like. He also has some very
      worthwhile things to say about the nature of the series and what we
      can learn from it. His analysis is interesting and engaging and
      definitely worth reading..."

      http://www.sfsite.com/12a/tm285.htm

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      16) MR PIN: FOUND?

      ...not to mention this being a humorously shaped vegetable -- and
      apparently the world's heaviest potato:

      http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/22/1373408/pin-potato.jpg

      The potato was grown in southern Lebanon. Read all about it:

      17) DISCWORLD TOURIST GUIDE DIRECTOR'S LEARNING EXPERIENCE

      Director Jon Amiel is supporting Directors Guild Trust Direct Access
      Candidate Sarah Grohnert by providing her with the opportunity to
      observe him at work on 'Creation', a biopic on the life of Charles
      Darwin. Grohnert's work includes the Discworld Tourist Guides for
      Sky, based on their adaptation of Terry Pratchett's 'The Colour of
      Magic' and a host of commercials for The Mob Film Company, where she
      was the company's first-ever woman director signed for commercials.

      http://www.4rfv.co.uk/industrynews.asp?id=86678

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      18) ABP BITS

      REVIEW AND DISCUSSION OF WINTERSMITH

      This was a review of the novel Wintersmith written by myself to a
      member from the newsgroup in an e-mail a couple of months ago. He
      recently asked me if I'd consider putting it up on abp...so here it
      is.

      Tiffany seemed to lose all all the courage she had in the first two
      novels as the strong, brave and independent minded "big wee hag" who
      ran around fighting evil monsters without needing anybody else's
      help... except the feegles of course. She had now become the sweet
      and innocent stereotyped Maiden-in-distress, simply awaiting her
      strong, brave, hero (Roland) to come and rescue her.

      She had suddenly become like a little kitten, now depending on other
      witches to rescue her, such as Miss Treason at the beginning, mainly
      Granny Weatherwax after her, who then, together with Nanny Ogg
      protected and advised her 24 hours a day. Even Miss Tick and
      Annagramma helped out to some extent!

      I have to say, I simply fell in love with Roland in this story.
      Although he was only 13, his courage, loyalty and love for his lady
      seemed to astound me. How brave and romantic he was, and his
      willingness to be a hero, a Knight in shining armour searching the
      dark, spooky depths of the Netherworld for her.

      I wasn't quite sure what the job of the Cornucopia was as a weapon
      against the Wintersmith. At first I thought the Summer Lady had sent
      it to Tiffany especially to kill him with... just in case she didn't
      wake up in time to help her. It wasn't used for this purpose though
      - it just made lots of chickens instead. Giggle, giggle! :-)

      The Wintersmith only died after Tiffany kissed him at the end...
      which made me curious as to why she didn't know this before and
      destroy him earlier... and why on earth did she need Roland for in
      the first place if she could kill the snowman herself?!

      All in all though, it was a very pleasant and enjoyable read, but
      just a little confusing at the end!

      Thanks for reading

      -- Sofia

      Not sure if you are looking for explanations, but at the end both
      Winter has to be banished and Summer has to be summoned. Tiffany
      and Roland needed to work together (but apart) to archive this.

      The key to the kiss was first given when Granny moved the heat from
      the tea cup so that it froze. (Important that the heat does not go
      through you) *

      Tiffany, with great courage because she knows the risk, takes this
      shifting of heat to a much higher magnitude when she shifts the heat
      of the bonfire to the drifts of snow. Tiffany, with great courage
      because she knows the risk, takes this shifting of heat to a much
      higher magnitude when she shifts the heat of the sun to the lips of
      the Wintersmith.

      That's how she banishes him and that's why it could not have been
      done earlier. She did not have the opportunity, did not know how
      and the time was not right. Winter makes way for Summer. Without
      Summer - Winter can never be truly banished, the Morris Men don't
      come, and you get a grey cold year where crops fail and people
      starve, followed by a Winter when they die.

      *An IW for this skill is in CJ when Granny moves the heat of the
      Vampires 'curse' into the Iron of the anvil. I will have to check
      if there is a IW for Granny being able to move heat and pain before
      this book.

      -- Reader in Invisible Writings

      Something similar takes place in Maskerade after Granny catches the
      sword. There the pain and damage from the sword cuts are transfered
      through time rather than space.

      Possibly something similar takes place in Witches Abroad when Granny
      thrusts her arm in the flame causing Mrs Gogol's voodoo doll to
      burst into flames. The explanation for the doll bursting into
      flames is that it is due to Mrs Gogol's belief in voodoo being
      manipulated by Granny [1]. However, that isn't enough to explain
      why the flame doesn't injure Granny. She must be using some method
      of transfering the heat and pain elsewhere.

      [1] i.e. Mrs Gogol believes that any damage done to the doll will
      affect Granny and Granny simply reverses the process.

      -- Nigel.

      Also in Maskerade, Granny moves the heat away from her body, after
      eating Nanny's famous dessert at the lunch with Senor Basilica.
      Afterwards, she holds a water jug (or something like that) and the
      water starts boiling.

      -- Anery

      I thought there may be something is WS but then realised I was
      getting the WS scene with the child and the cow interlinked with
      the CJ scene with the woman and the baby "But first no pain" which
      is an IW for the skill Tiffany learns and uses on the Baron. But
      you have a point regarding the torch and the doll... Granny just
      pushed to where Mrs Gogol was pulling.

      The M! incident is much closer to what happens in CJ as it is heat
      in the body shifted to else where - the WS trick is to shift is
      from A to B via the body without getting incinerated! Just the
      same, but more so!

      -- Reader in Invisible Writings.

      Splutter! Did you read the same book I did? Tiffany needs rescuing
      at one point (when she's in the wintersmith's castle) and she
      rescues herself.

      "She had suddenly become like a little kitten, now depending on
      other witches to rescue her, such as Miss Treason at the beginning,
      mainly Granny Weatherwax after her, who then, together with Nanny
      Ogg protected and advised her 24 hours a day. Even Miss Tick and
      Annagramma helped out to some extent!"

      Ah, you didn't. In the one I read, Tiff helped Annagramma, not the
      other way round, and Granny did her usual thing of helping her help
      herself, rather than handing her the answers.

      Roland, meanwhile, provided a deeply symbolic and undeniably
      romantic gesture, which probably didn't actually make much
      difference.

      -- Dave

      When I wrote "Annagramma helped to some extent", I was talking about
      after she'd picked up Witchcraft from Tiffany and bought herself
      several scary, fake, Witch-like jokey objects from Boffo's joke
      shop. She didn't even know he was the Wintersmith at the time, all
      she saw was Tiff arguing with a man, so she came out of miss
      Treason's old cottage in a rage, and dressed as an ugly Boffo witch.
      With her witches hat, green hair, warts on warts and bullying
      tactics, she frightened him away immediately! Tiff was very
      grateful, and they called it a truce.

      Roland was asked to be a brave hero, a knight in shining armour for
      his sweetheart. He had to get into the Netherworld by joining the
      ferryman, Death, the last thing anybody would want to see on a
      journey, on a trip across the ferry to find his next frightening
      fate of finding and fighting those Bogles... with his eyes shut! He
      then had to find and awaken the Summer Lady with a peck on the
      cheek, when he ended up having to make the same trip all the way
      back again with those Bogles and the ferryman before he finally got
      the Summer Lady back again.

      If he hadn't gotten her back again, then she couldn't have replaced
      the Wintersmith after Tiff had kissed him. That's the part I was
      confused about most. How she killed him with the kiss at that
      moment, and why she didn't try it before.

      I think others in the group are saying that Tiff killed the
      Wintersmith by taking the heat from the Summer Lady who was standing
      behind her at the time, and used that heat to kill him with it. I
      obviously didn't know that before which is what left me confused at
      the end, but if that is the case, might I thank those others as I
      know that now. Also, if Roland hadn't gotten the Summer Lady out of
      the Netherworld, then she would never have been there to have taken
      the heat from in the first place, so Roland played a very important
      role in waking her up!

      BTW: thanks to everybody who explained the heat transfer death to
      me, it seems to make everything fall to pieces now.

      -- Sofia

      If you did not get all four parts, write: interact@...