WOSSNAME -- DECEMBER 2008 -- PART 1 OF 4

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2008
      DECEMBER 2008 (Volume 11, Issue 12)
      WOSSNAME is a FREE publication for members of the worldwide
      Editor Emeritus (retd): Joseph Schaumburger
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      time)

      ====Part 1 -- ALL THE NEWS THAT FITS

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH
      2) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      3) UPDATE FROM THE MASTER
      4) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S: NEWS AND SUCH
      5) DOCTOR PRATCHETT...AGAIN!
      6) NATION: NEWS AND REVIEWS
      7) PRATCHETT NOVELS: RECOMMENDED HOLIDAY READING
      8) BEARD OF THE YEAR: PTERRY NOMINATED

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS AND REVIEWS...

      9) CONVENTION NEWS
      10) MICRO ART STUDIO DISCWORLD FIGURINES: UPDATE
      11) PRATCHETT: A WEAPON IN THE WAR ON BAD GRAMMAR
      12) FOLKLORE OF DISCWORLD DVD GIVEAWAY
      13) ONLINE REVIEW OF SMALL GODS
      14) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
      15) THE TURTLE MOVES! REVIEW
      16) MR PIN FOUND...IN A POTATO
      17) A DISCWORLD DIRECTOR'S LEARNING CURVE
      18) ABP BITS

      ====Part 3 -- MORE STUFF, WEIRD ALICE AND HOROSCOPE

      19) ABP BITS, CONTINUED
      20) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      21) THE TURTLE MOVES!: ANOTHER REVIEW, ISH
      22) WEIRD ALICE PRESENTS A SEASONAL PARODY
      23) YOUR MONTHLY HOROSCOPE MAR > MAY

      ====Part 4 -- HOROSCOPE, LATE BREAKING NEWS, AND CLOSE

      24) HOROSCOPE CONTINUED MAY > MAR
      25) 'WITH GREAT PLEASURE': A REMINDER
      26) LATE BREAKING NEWS

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH

      "If I'd known what a progressive brain disease could do for your PR
      profile I may have had one earlier." -- Terry Pratchett

      It's said, somewhat hyperbolically, that some people can't walk and
      chew gum at the same time. That may or may not be true, but it's
      certain that not many people can run a marathon whilst knitting a
      scarf to raise money for Alzheimer's Disease research! But that's
      exactly what the remarkable Susie Hewer has done, raising thousands
      of pounds for the Alzheimer's Research Trust in the process. The
      story of the scarf -- which ended up around Terry Pratchett's neck
      in front of Number 10 Downing Street -- can be found in item 4 on
      this page.

      This has been a good year, all things considered, for the community
      of Pratchett enthusiasts. 2008 saw the publication of what many --
      including me -- see as perhaps his finest and most enduring novel
      (Nation, of course), and also the exciting continuation of the saga
      of Ankh-Morpork's voyage to modernity (Making Money), not to mention
      a harvest of illustrated Discworld tales and a very memorable
      convention (DWcon 2008). Furthermore, it's been Mr Pratchett's
      busiest-ever year, as he became an unexpected world spokesman for
      the fight against Alzheimer's Disease. And another year has passed,
      and we all still ate'nt dead yet. I call that a win.

      So raise your glasses high and toast yourselves and Pterry for a
      year well done! And for your general holiday enjoyment, have a
      Hogswatch troll, courtesy of L-Space:

      http://tinyurl.com/a27ytf

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      3) A MESSAGE FROM PTERRY

      December 11th 2008

      The Embuggerance - One Year On

      Folks,

      It's exactly one year since the Embuggerance was announced and
      yesterday I wrote about 1,000 words for Unseen Academicals. The
      reason that the book still has a long way to go (although it's all
      downhill from here) is that it's a bloody amazing day if I can get
      time to do more than a few hundred words; the year has been very
      busy, right up to knocking on the door of 10 Downing Street a couple
      of weeks ago, although the Prime Minister was kind enough to pour my
      tea for me.

      There is mail and email here that I regret will never be answered.
      We hope that the next four months will give me a reasonably clear
      run at finishing the book. After all, all this fuss has happened
      because I stood up as Terry Pratchett the Writer. Regrettably, no
      one would have noticed very much if I had stood up as Terry
      Pratchett the Gardener. So it seems to me that I must put some time
      by to be the former, although I suspect I am living in hopes. I
      would like to think things will quieten down a bit in the New Year.

      As some of you will already know, we had great fun recording `With
      Great Pleasure' for BBC Radio 4 and I can now reveal that the BBC
      have given it a better slot of midday on Christmas Day, repeated on
      Boxing Day evening. This will give it a much needed thirteen minutes
      extra, which means most of the stuff we recorded in Bath on November
      14th will get on air.

      We don't yet know the transmission dates for the BBC2 documentary,
      but the neighbourhood of January 15th has been mentioned. We'll
      let you know as soon as we hear something definite. The last piece
      of work I had to do for it was completed today with the mopping up
      of a few final voiceovers. Incidentally, the Pratchgan, so lovingly
      created by so many fans this year, has found a remarkable apposite
      use as a reasonably efficient portable sound studio. It is so big
      that we can use it to partition part of my library and has been
      pressed into service twice so far. The current plan is to give it a
      permanent home on the second floor, but given its weight a certain
      amount of metalwork is required.

      I officially opened the RICE Centre in Bath on December 5th, where I
      and many others go for our treatment; those of you who were at
      Bernard's recent bash know all about this and apart from the money
      raised at said bash they had a very big cheque from me as I thought
      this a better use of my money than Christmas cards!

      Finally, I'm off to Dublin in the morning, where against all
      probability, Trinity College are giving me an honorary Litt.D.

      Happy Hogswatch All and may Gods Bless Us, Every One.
      (Atheists may ask for the vegetarian alternative.)

      [signed] Terry Pratchett

      The original message, with signature, can be found online at:
      http://www.pjsmprints.com/news/index.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      4) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S: THE LATEST NEWS

      4.1 INTERVIEW IN THE INDEPENDENT (UK)

      "I'd been worried that Pratchett's disorder might silently dominate
      our interview, like the proverbial elephant in the room. But the
      elephant's gone rogue already, and is crashing about our encounter
      as if such a meeting could have no other possible purpose. Pratchett
      talks beautifully, as beautifully as he writes, and once he starts,
      there's no stopping him."

      http://tinyurl.com/5hnecx

      4.2 MARATHON SCARF RAISES MONEY FOR ALZHEIMER'S RESEARCH

      Susie Hewer, aka Extreme Knitting Redhead, made both the scarf *and*
      the Guinness Book of Records:
      http://tinyurl.com/3u37kx

      The story of the scarf, step by step and stitch by click:
      http://tinyurl.com/4g26cn

      Also see the Charities Aid Foundation's article on this:
      http://www.cafonline.org/Default.aspx?page=16583

      4.3 PTERRY OPENS 'RICE' RESEARCH CENTRE IN BATH

      From This is Bath:

      The author said: "It never occurred to me to deny I've got it. I
      decided to speak my mind. There's a saying 'you should never let
      them see you bleed,' but that's wrong. If no one sees you bleed, no
      one is going to offer you a bandage."

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?1kmz

      4.4 PTERRY DELIVERS THAT PETITION TO DOWNING STREET

      4.4a A BBC video interview (after travel advertisement) with Pterry
      outside No. 10:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/7751399.stm

      4.4b Daily Mail columnist Amanda Platell lauds Pterry as her Hero of
      the Week:

      "He knows it's too late to save himself and yet still he works
      tirelessly to help those who will come after him. What a marvellous
      man."
      http://tinyurl.com/49lm7x

      4.4c Julie Morgan, MP for Cardiff North, was among those presenting
      the petition:
      http://tinyurl.com/4enhmf

      4.4d Article on the petition, at medical research website Speaking
      of Research:
      http://tinyurl.com/3nngp5

      4.4e Article in The Telegraph

      "Neil Hunt, chief executive of the Alzheimer's Society, said: "The
      NHS is completely failing to face to the fact that we have a serious
      issue here, not just in terms of numbers but in terms of the
      terrible impact of dementia on an increasing number of sufferers or
      their families. If we were talking about cuts to services for
      another disease, such as cancer, there would be a national outcry,
      and the NHS would not be able to get away with it. What we need the
      NHS to do is to detect the signs of dementia, diagnose it early,
      break the news properly and offer sources of help. That is not
      happening.'"

      http://tinyurl.com/5xfzxp

      4.5 LIVING WITH ALZHEIMER'S: BBC 'HEADROOM' DOCUMENTARY FEATURING
      TERRY PRATCHETT

      "As part of BBC TWO's documentary strand focusing on mental health
      and wellbeing subjects, BBC Headroom, where high-profile
      personalities tackle a subject matter of personal importance to them
      - we join Terry Pratchett as he journeys into his uncertain future
      living with Alzheimer's - a world ultimately without words. Having
      sold almost 60 million books worldwide, Terry is a man whose
      imagination is in constant overdrive. The prospect of living without
      memories or words frightens him."

      http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/131916.php

      [Editor's note: the two-part documentary will air in the UK in
      January 2009, broadcast date to be determined.]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      5) DOCTOR PRATCHETT...AGAIN!

      5.1 from The Irish Times:

      "Naturalist Sir David Attenborough and popular writer Terry
      Pratchett are among a number of recipients who will be awarded
      honorary degrees at Trinity College Dublin later today..."

      http://tinyurl.com/6dz4nf

      For a good photo of Pterry in his very colourful robes with the
      other honorees, go to:
      http://tinyurl.com/9wsz8y

      5.2 Irish blogger Mollydot's Twitter chronicle of the ceremony:

      "The Wee Free Men's language is part Old Scots, part Glaswegian, and
      part gibberish. The turtle's sex is 'yes'. We're on audience
      questions..."

      http://mollydot.livejournal.com/241419.html

      [Editor's note: This blogger also has a superb user icon in the form
      of "iGranny". Note pointy hat and headphones...]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      6) NATION: NEWS AND REVIEWS

      6.1 NATION Q&A WITH PTERRY

      "Mau absolutely does believe in Death. And again, since he's a boy
      with huge responsibilities devolved on to him, who knows how his
      subconscious works? So I leave that open. It was very interesting to
      tell a story about this, but magic definitely doesn't dominate the
      book. I know what we can call it: narrative realism! To prevent
      being tarred with the brush of fantasy. Narrative realism, we'll
      cling on to that one like a lifebelt."

      http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6591388.html?nid=2788

      6.2 REVIEW IN THE NEW YORK TIMES

      by James Hynes

      "Pratchett's characteristically British comic technique juxtaposes
      comic exaggeration, like funny names and ­over-the-top situations,
      with pomposity-puncturing asides, usually from the characters, but
      just as often from Pratchett himself, who is a wryly twinkling
      presence in all of his books."

      http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/07/books/review/Hynes-t.html?_r=1

      6.3 SUITE 101 REVIEW

      by Susan Whelan

      "It is a reflection of Pratchett's talent that such serious themes
      and preoccupations are presented in a very readable and enjoyable
      format that is suitable for readers from their mid-teens through to
      adult. The humour is gentler than the more raucous and frequently
      mocking humour of the Discworld, but it nevertheless enables
      Pratchett to share his message in a manner which readers will find
      not only instructive but enjoyable."

      http://tinyurl.com/5lmotm

      6.4 FROM THE ROVING HEARTS BLOG

      "If you're a fan, you probably bought and happily devoured this book
      already; if not, know that this exciting, deeply thoughtful tale of
      shipwreck and derring-do is one of my favorite 'young adult' novels
      of all time. And I've been through quite a few!"

      http://rovinghearts.net/2008/12/15/book-review-nation/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      7) PRATCHETT NOVELS: RECOMMENDED HOLIDAY READING

      The Miami Herald recommends The Illustrated Wee Free men:
      http://www.miamiherald.com/living/story/790663.html

      The Young Adult Library Services Association recommends Nation:
      http://tinyurl.com/57hs95

      ...as does the School Library Journal, in a section entitled "For
      Those Tough-To-Please Teens":
      http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6620274.html

      Literary blog The Swivet recommends Guards! Guards! and Good Omens:
      http://tinyurl.com/6468xn

      The Financial Post recommends The Illustrated Wee Free Man, and
      Nation:
      http://www.financialpost.com/story.html?id=1068147

      The Toronto Star recommends Nation, very enthusiastically:
      http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/552817

      The Louisville Courier-Journal's book-chooser Carla Carlton has only
      just discovered Pratchett by way of Reading Nation, but waxes
      ecstatic about it towards the end of the book choice article:
      http://tinyurl.com/3hhanp

      On the Independent.ie site, critic Anne Marie Scanlon strongly
      recommends Nation:
      http://tinyurl.com/4cdqzm

      Phil Henderson, Senior Marketing Manager at Trade Books, recommends
      Making Money as his Book of the Year:
      http://blog.oup.com/2008/12/2008_books_uk/

      8) A TALENTED...BEARD?!

      The annual prize is the idea of The Beard Liberation Front (BLF) –
      who call themselves an "informal network of beard wearers". The
      BLF say the award is designed to highlight those who have given
      beards a positive image in the public eye during the last year.
      Pterry faces stiff competition from, among others, Tom Jones -- and
      the Archbishop of Canterbury!

      http://tinyurl.com/64o2fk

      If you did not get all four parts, write: interact@...