WOSSNAME -- NOVEMBER 2008 -- PART 1 OF 6

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2008
      NOVEMBER 2008 (Volume 11, Issue 11)
      WOSSNAME is a FREE publication for members of the worldwide
      Editor Emeritus (retd): Joseph Schaumburger
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      time)

      ====Part 1 -- ALL THE NEWS THAT FITS

      1) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
      2) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      3) AN UPDATE FROM THE MASTER
      4) REVIEWS OF NATION
      5) FORTHCOMING PRATCHETT SIGNINGS
      6) 2009 DISCWORLD CALENDAR REVIEWED
      7) THE COLOUR OF MAGIC: BROADCAST NEWS
      8) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S: NEWS

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS AND REVIEWS...

      9) CONVENTION NEWS
      10) MICRO ART STUDIO DISCWORLD FIGURINES UPDATE
      11) GAMES NEWS
      12) ACTION REPLAY: IN TEXT, THIS TIME
      13) REVIEW: THE FOLKLORE OF DISCWORLD
      14) REVIEW: THE NATION AUDIOBOOK
      15) THE GUARDIAN APPROVES...
      16) ANOTHER LITTLE EDITOR IN THE MAKING?

      ====Part 3 -- ...AND MORE, AND...

      17) THE TURTLE MOVES! REVIEWS AND NEWS
      18) THE MAKING OF THE COLOUR OF MAGIC: VADIM JEAN
      19) ANIMATED PRATCHETT FILM NOT HAPPENING
      20) TRYMON'S SORE FEET
      21) THE MAN WHO PUT DISCWORLD ON TELLY
      22) PRATCHETT PRICES IN FOURECKS
      23) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
      24) A CERTAIN AUTHOR POPULARISES 'EMBUGGERANCE'
      25) REVIEW: NATION, BY AUTHOR NORAH PIEHL
      26) CURIOSITIES OF ROUNDWORLD: THE REAL LESHP
      27) "WITH GREAT PLEASURE": A REMINDER

      ====Part 4 -- BU AND ABP

      28) BUGARUP UNIVERSITY CAMPUS NEWSROUND
      29) ABP BITS

      ====Part 5 -- WEIRD ALICE AND HOROSCOPE

      30) WEIRD ALICE LANCREVIC
      31) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      ====Part 6 -- HOROSCOPE, LATE BREAKING NEWS, AND CLOSE

      32) HOROSCOPE CONTINUED
      33) LATE BREAKING NEWS

      1) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

      "Read everything Pratchett writes. It will make you a better person
      and end world hunger." -- Aggie from ABP

      "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I
      thought as a child: but when I became a man I put away childish
      things because, wow, then I could afford much *better* childish
      things!" -- Pterry

      Now is the time when Roundworlders are beginning to gather their
      strength for the trial of the dreaded (and keenly anticipated)
      holiday season. All the Halloween stagings of Discworld plays are
      over; all the new Pratchett releases have been released (apart from
      The 25th Anniversary Illustrated Edition of The Colour of Magic/The
      Light Fantastic (illustrated by Stephen Player) and The Colour of
      Magic: The Illustrated Screenplay by Vadim Jean; by rights, this
      should be a quiet time. But there's no lack of content in this
      month's issue. We have news, reviews and some interesting bits from
      Bugarup University and alt.books.pratchett, and of course your
      monthly horoscope, to entertain you.

      A little note: I'd already written an essay on Ferdinandea
      (Roundworld's equivalent of Leshp) before I acquired a copy of The
      Folklore of Discworld, only to discover that Ferdinandea was
      mentioned in it. However, the essay has rather more detail, so
      you're getting two Ferdinandeas for the price of one -- oh wait,
      it's free anyway. Enjoy!

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      3) A MESSAGE FROM PTERRY

      November 11th 2008

      Folks,

      We have seen the first half of the BBC documentary and it looks
      pretty good. Importantly, it would seem at the moment that we have
      witnessed that rarest of things, a film crew that has been allowed
      into a convention and hasn't tried to stuff the fans. Some of you
      know you were filmed in costume, and that's it. There's footage of
      the reading and stuff, but the general look and tone is some
      distance away from the usual "Star Trek Loonies" portrayal. There's
      also reasonable footage of the signing at the Southbank back in June
      and we are assuming that the Hayling Island / Waterstones Piccadilly
      day will be in part two. We definitely noticed a few of the usual
      suspects such as Dave Boggis and Rentawitch. It's going to be good.

      You might also be interested to know that Charlie Russell, our John
      Grierson Award nominated director, can be seen on BBC 2 at 10:50pm
      this Sunday, November 16th, in the documentary he made about his
      father. It's a very powerful piece and well worth watching.

      The BBC 'With Great Pleasure' event is apparently sold out and
      there is nothing we can do about it. We don't have our own
      allocation and I don't want to offend anyone by saying that this
      office is in enough perpetual turmoil not to include Box Office
      Services as part of our workload :o)

      Those of you who were kind enough to subscribe to the 'Trees for
      Terry' drive around my birthday this year might be interested to
      hear that we have acquired a derelict woodland nearby that this
      winter will be replanted mostly with hazel and cob. Many thanks to
      all. We don't expect to be able to photograph the green shoots until
      around the spring.

      Finally, right now I feel fine. This is largely due to the fact that
      we are more or less out from under the massive amounts of
      commitments we have taken on this year, although I do have to
      deliver a large petition to Number 10 Downing Street on 26th
      November. Another reason is that I seem to be working around the
      problems successfully. Typing is still a bugger, but in most
      respects you would have to know me very well to know that anything
      was wrong. I also noticed recently that the Daily Mail, gods bless
      them, announced that I can't dress myself. This must have come as a
      huge surprise, not least to me, since I dressed myself this morning.
      It is true that if you handed me a shirt with one sleeve inside out
      it would take me a little while to work out the topography, but I do
      seem to be getting better at that.

      In the past two days we have written more than 2,500 words on Unseen
      Academicals.

      Finally, I am delighted to be receiving an honorary Doctorate of
      Literature (LittD) from Dublin University (Trinity College Dublin)
      on 12th December. I'm sure that there will be photos.

      (signed) Terry Pratchett

      The original message, with signature, can be found online at:
      http://www.pjsmprints.com/news/index.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      4) REVIEWS OF NATION

      4.1 The Business Standard - Mumbai,Maharashtra,India

      "Pratchett will not condemn characters who shrink from having their
      world turned upside down, but they're never the ones he chooses as his
      heroes."

      http://tinyurl.com/6pega4

      4.2 Blogcritics.org

      A very thoughtful in-depth review by Richard Marcus

      "Terry Pratchett has not only created a wonderful tale of self-
      discovery, he rebukes those histories of our childhood that had us
      believing nothing of importance happened before the white man
      appeared on the face of the earth."

      "There's a beautiful little afterward to the book, which genuinely
      brought a tear to my eye, something I'd not expected from either a
      book by Terry Pratchett or one written for young people...
      Intelligent, entertaining, and a little sad, Nation might make you
      think at times, but it will never bore you. It's too bad we couldn't
      receive more of our education through books like this."

      http://blogcritics.org/archives/2008/11/02/105302.php

      4.3 Tonight - Johannesburg,South Africa
      By Theresa Smith

      "For him, writing fantasy is more than just telling stories about
      wizards waving their wands around, it is about seeing the world from
      new directions. With this story he is trying to make a statement
      about how whoever controls the flow of information, controls how
      people think."

      http://tinyurl.com/5axwl7

      4.4 San Diego Union-Tribune Sun

      "Yes, it's billed as a children's book, but it's for wise children,
      or for children who you hope to help toward wisdom."

      http://tinyurl.com/6rvfgc

      4.5 Lee Whiteside of NADWCON
      (page 20 of October/November 2008 issue of ConNotations)

      "The book is being marketed as a Young Adult novel, but it is very
      much a book for all ages. The two main characters should appeal to
      boys and girls, and the writing level is not softened down, making
      it a good read for anyone. It also mixes in some science that might
      just inspire a young mind, and that's definitely a good thing. I
      really enjoyed it and I think it has a good chance to collect a few
      awards during next year's round of award ceremonies."

      http://www.casfs.org/ConNotations/Volume_18/ConNotations_18-05.pdf

      4.6 Blogger and author James Bow

      "Terry Pratchett's Nation is a startling book. While it maintains his
      style, his touches of humour, his ease of characterization, it completely
      defies your expectations if you're entering into it aware of his pedigree
      as the creator of the Discworld series..."

      http://bowjamesbow.ca/2008/11/21/terry-pratchett.shtml

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      5) SIGNINGS AND APPEARANCES

      5.1 REMINDER: SIGNING IN WINCHESTER THIS WEEKEND!

      Terry will be signing at the Wessex Book Fair in the Guildhall in
      Winchester on Saturday 29th November 2008. Signing times: 11am –
      12pm and 1pm – 2pm

      http://tinyurl.com/62fuyn

      5.2 PTERRY TO STAR AT WESSEX BOOK FESTIVAL

      TERRY Pratchett is the primary guest at the 12th Wessex Book
      Festival, held this month. And he's being described as a leading
      "science fiction and children's writer" instead of the usual
      fantasy/humour tag! Other writers present will include Malorie
      Blackman, Charlie Higson and Philip Hoare.

      2008 is the designated Year of Reading, and the Wessex Book
      Festival, which runs from Monday, November 24 to Friday, December 5
      2008 and features a children's gala weekend, is a part of it. For
      more information go to:

      www.hants.gov.uk/wessex-book-festival

      http://tinyurl.com/5ovduk

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      6) REVIEW OF THE 2009 DISCWORLD CALENDAR

      "I love 'The Last Continent' by David Frankland and his limited use
      of palette colours providing an almost silhouetted Aussie feel.
      Death makes an appearance along with some of The Watch, Rincewind
      and various other characters. The artwork covers quite a few books
      and some are just general to the Discworld universe."

      http://www.computercrowsnest.com/articles/books/2008/nz13249.php

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      7) THE COLOUR OF MAGIC IS...INVISIBLE?

      IMPORTANT NOTE: According to the latest from RHI, the US airing of
      The Colour of Magic has apparently been delayed; the new air date is
      still to be determined. There's a rumour that it's January, but...

      From Lee Whiteside of NADWCON:

      "For some reason yet to be revealed, ION has pushed back the airing
      of The Color of Magic to sometime early in 2009. I don't know if
      they decided it wasn't wise to go up against the 24 movie or what,
      but after putting out a press release for Nov 23rd, they changed
      their minds and no longer have it scheduled. They are reairing
      Hogfather next Sunday, November 30th, at 7 pm ET/PT, though, for
      those who missed it previously or haven't picked up the DVD. I was
      hoping that TCOM airing in the same calendar year in both the US
      and the UK would give it a better shot at award nominations.
      Hogfather got Hugo nominations two years in a row but didn't make
      the final ballot either time."

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      8) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S: THE LATEST NEWS

      8.1 TERRY PRATCHETT TO OPEN NEW RESEARCH CENTRE IN BATH

      "The Discworld creator, who was diagnosed with early onset
      Alzheimer's Disease last year, will be at the Royal United Hospital
      on December 5. He will be there to open the new £2 million
      headquarters of RICE - the Research Institute for the Care of Older
      People. The charity moved to the hospital earlier this year after
      two decades at St Martin's Hospital at Odd Down. Mr Pratchett, who
      has sold more than 55 million books, will unveil a plaque and speak
      about the importance of research."

      http://tinyurl.com/597h6v

      8.2 PTERRY INTERVIEW WITH SOME NEW AND FUNNY BITS

      The Daily Mail Online:
      "I ask, what with his high proportion of women fans, whether he's ever
      been propositioned. He guffaws with laughter. 'Once,' he confesses.
      'In another country. Proposition would be the wrong word, but
      unmistakable signals were sent and received. I thanked the nice lady
      concerned for her kind offer to "show me the town", but explained that
      I was moving on -- I was on a signing tour.

      'That afternoon I dropped into a gardening shop and bought a
      thermometer for my compost heap. I'd always wanted one. I thought,
      "I've extricated myself from an awkward situation and bought a compost
      thermometer. I must be the most married man in the entire world.'"

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?1hz8

      8.3 REBRANDING DEMENTIA

      An excellent piece about the future of Alzheimer's research and
      treatment, in The Guardian:

      "You could sum up one aspect of the argument crudely, but pointedly,
      by asking: are people with dementia mad or just terminally ill? The
      bestselling novelist, Terry Pratchett, was clear. In an affecting
      and funny speech, he described his dementia as 'a physical condition
      that just happens to affect the brain'."

      http://tinyurl.com/5t5yob

      8.4 AUTHOR'S 'CLAPHAM JUNCTION' DAYS

      In the Coventry Telegraph:

      "It seems to me there's hardly one family in this country that is
      not touched by the disease somehow. But people don't talk about it
      because it is so frightening."

      http://tinyurl.com/62omrq

      8.5 CAFFEINE FOR A GOOD CAUSE

      Nairobi Tea and Coffee has launched a new coffee for the catering
      trade in support of the Alzheimer's Research Trust. A company
      spokesman said that they were "greatly touched" by reading a recent
      article by the author Terry Pratchett, who himself suffers from the
      ailment.

      "His powerful article hit a raw nerve and brought home the
      importance of addressing the increasing incidence of Alzheimer's,"
      said the company's Alnur Merali.

      http://tinyurl.com/5mjmx7

      8.6 DESTIGMATISING ALZHEIMER'S: 'KILL THE DEMON'

      "Elaine Ivis, area manager West Midlands, at the Alzheimer's
      Society, said: 'Alzheimer's Society will lead the fight against
      stigma and we want to see it reduced by half in five years...
      Government, charities, services and employers need to work together
      to make this a reality.' ...Discworld author, Terry Pratchett who
      revealed he had been diagnosed with early onset dementia last year,
      launched the report and is backing the campaign."

      http://tinyurl.com/66x9f7

      If you did not get all six parts, write: interact@...