WOSSNAME -- OCTOBER 2008 -- SPECIAL EDITION

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2008
      OCTOBER 2008 EXTRA

      EXTRA! EXTRA! SPECIAL EDITION: EVEN LATER BREAKING NEWS

      Wotcha! We've just received a timely notification of an Australian
      production of Wyrd Sisters taking place this weekend in Sydney, and
      as WOSSNAME has quite a few Aussie readers these days it merits a
      bit of extra publicity. Also timely (as in "putting it in the
      November issue would be too late") is the news that Pterry will be
      recording a live programme for BBC Radio 4 in Bath on 14th November,
      and free tickets are available for those who can make it to Bath on
      the day. And while we're at it, there are a few more interesting, if
      less urgent items, so here they are anyway.

      Now get out there and polish those broomsticks, for tomorrow it's
      flying time...

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      1) WYRD SISTERS IN SYDNEY, FOURECKS
      2) TERRY PRATCHETT: WITH GREAT PLEASURE, LIVE
      3) THE COLOUR OF MAGIC COMPETITION: WIN THE DVD
      4) ONLINE REVIEW OF THE COLOUR OF MAGIC DVD
      5) TRANSCRIPT OF 'NATION' RADIO INTERVIEW ON THE ABC
      6) ONLINE REVIEW OF THE TURTLE MOVES

      1) WYRD SISTERS IN SYDNEY, FOURECKS

      The Holroyd Musical and Dramatic Society presents their production
      of Wyrd Sisters in time for Halloween.

      When: 31st October, and 1st, 7th and 8th November. All performances
      are at 7.30pm.

      Where: Merrylands Uniting Church Hall, Memorial Avenue, Merrylands
      Tickets: $15

      http://www.hmds.org.au/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      2) SHARE PTERRY'S GREAT PLEASURE!

      News from PJSM Prints:

      "With Great Pleasure is the Radio 4 programme which asks celebrity
      guests to share with an audience some of the pieces of writing which
      have influenced, comforted and entertained them over the years. The
      Christmas edition is always a special treat and this year we are
      particularly pleased and proud that the much-loved writer Terry
      Pratchett will be presenting his selection of readings. Terry will
      be at the Forum in Bath with some excellent readers in what promises
      to be a very special edition of the programme for broadcast this
      Christmas Day on Radio 4."

      Date: Friday 14th November 2008
      Venue: The Forum, St James's Parade, Bath BA1 1UG

      Doors open 6.30pm (Bar available in foyer). Performance starts at
      7pm

      Free tickets for the recording are available via the BBC Ticket
      Line:

      Phone: 0370 901 1227
      Website: www.bbc.co.uk/tickets

      http://www.pjsmprints.com/news/index.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      3) THE COLOUR OF MAGIC COMPETITION: WIN THE DVD

      LastBroadcast.co.uk offers an answer-the-question competition. There
      are three Colour of Magic DVDs to be won:

      "Terry Pratchett's fantasy masterpiece, The Colour of Magic, will
      be available on DVD and Blu-ray from 3rd November 2008, released by
      Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment and starring David Jason
      and Sean Astin. Win DVDs!"

      Entries via email. The competition closes 27/11/2008.

      http://tinyurl.com/5a8sxa

      The site also features an interview with Mr Pratchett about the
      Colour of Magic film:

      "But it didn't stop them afterwards saying that actually it wasn't
      quite right. Some things aren't going to be quite right. Some
      characters aren't going to look as some fans expect them to. There
      will be some differences and some loss of what I call texture,
      because even though you've got quite a lot of time to do this in,
      you can't get in every detail - you do have to chop things out of
      the books. What you try to do is keep the soul and I hope we've done
      this."

      http://tinyurl.com/6mva9f

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      4) ONLINE REVIEW OF THE COLOUR OF MAGIC DVD

      "I have to declare myself a Pratchett noob, having never read any of
      the Discworld series. So I approached the double episodes as an
      original story on its own merit, rather than adaptations. I'd
      watched and enjoyed Hogfather, so knew roughly what to expect. And I
      wasn't disappointed with this second Sky two-parter for TV."

      From Den of Geek:

      http://tinyurl.com/6zy4xw

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      5) TRANSCRIPT OF 'NATION' RADIO INTERVIEW ON THE ABC

      More news from the continent of EcksEcksEcksEcks: this time, a radio
      interview in which The Author discusses at length the story and
      creative process of writing Nation. We've already featured this
      interview as a podcast, but the webpage includes a full transcript -
      handy stuff:

      http://www.abc.net.au/rn/bookshow/stories/2008/2361911.htm

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      6) ONLINE REVIEW OF THE TURTLE MOVES

      From the Suite 101 site, a review by Susan Whelan

      "With a complex network of characters and styles, The Discworld
      Series defies standard fantasy genre definitions and
      generalisations... With refreshing candour, self-deprecating humour
      and the experience of more than 25 years as a writer an editor in
      the fantasy genre, The Turtle Moves offers an intelligent and
      knowledgeable commentary about Discworld and its place in the
      pantheon of fantasy literature."

      http://tinyurl.com/5f2gmy

      And that's the lot for now. Really. See you in a few weeks!

      -- Annie Mac