WOSSNAME -- OCTOBER 2008 -- PART 2 OF 6

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 27, 2008
      WOSSNAME -- OCTOBER 2008 -- PART 2 OF 6 (continued)

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS...

      10) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S: NEWS, CONTINUED
      11) ADDRESS TO THE CONSERVATIVE PARTY CONFERENCE
      12) NATION: BACK IN BLACK
      13) PTERRY ONE OF THE MOST UNRETURNED AUTHORS IN WALES
      14) THE COLOUR OF MAGIC: RELEASE AND BROADCAST NEWS
      15) INTERVIEW WITH VADIM JEAN
      16) MORE REPORTS: THE HAYLING ISLAND AND SOUTHPORT SIGNINGS
      17) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      18) TRANSCRIPT OF WASHINGTON POST ONLINE CHAT
      19) DISCWORLD GAMES NEWS
      20) TRANSCRIPT OF PTERRY'S Q & A ON THE 'SECOND LIFE' NATION
      21) MICRO ART STUDIO TO RELEASE DISCWORLD FIGURINES

      10) ALZHEIMER'S NEWS, CONTINUED

      10.1 BBC ALZHEIMER'S DOCUMENTARY FEATURING TERRY PRATCHETT

      Terry Pratchett "chronicles his personal journey since he was
      diagnosed with Alzheimer's" in a forthcoming BBC documentary. The
      programme, produced by IWC Media, will air as part of the series
      "Headroom", the BBC's two-year mental health and wellbeing campaign
      to raise awareness of the importance of good mental health and de-
      stigmatise the problems surrounding mental illness. Various well-
      known Britons including politician Michael Portillo and comedienne
      Meera Syal are each featured in different segments of the series;
      Pratchett's feature concentrates on his "search through science for
      a cure or a way of slowing down the onset of his illness."

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/oct/13/bbc-television

      10.2 JOINING WITH THE ADVERTISING INDUSTRY TO FIGHT THE ILLNESS

      Media and marketing site Brand Republic reports:
      "Terry Pratchett OBE, the best-selling author, is launching an
      awareness campaign with the Alzheimer's Society in the run up to its
      Christmas direct marketing campaign. Pratchett will launch a report
      into dementia after he was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's
      Disease last December. It aims to raise awareness of the condition
      in the run up to the charities up-coming direct campaign...Pratchett
      has said, 'This report allows others to bring dementia out of the
      shadows.'"

      http://tinyurl.com/5ldeg8

      10.3 PRATCHETT TELEVISION INTERVIEW ON THE STIGMA OF ALZHEIMER'S

      A good, solid interview-cum-Q&A on the BBC:

      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7656375.stm

      [The video can sometimes take a few tries to load and play properly,
      but it's well worth the effort -- Ed.]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      11) PTERRY ADDRESSES THE UK CONSERVATIVE PARTY CONFERENCE

      "Terry Pratchett's tenacity in standing up for those who live with
      dementia knows no bounds. We are tremendously grateful for his
      continued support. As Terry argues, research is the only long-term
      solution to the UK's dementia crisis." -- Rebecca Wood, Chief
      Executive of the Alzheimer's Research Trust

      http://tinyurl.com/65xdaj

      The Press Association report on Pterry's Tory Party Conference
      speech:

      http://tinyurl.com/6kena4

      The Guardian's version:

      http://tinyurl.com/6lr9qk

      The full transcript of the speech is available on the PJSM Prints
      site:

      "And that's why I'm here. Awareness slips if someone doesn't lift it
      and I want this disease to be dragged into the light and stay there,
      seen for what it is, a random disease and no cause for shame."

      http://www.pjsmprints.com/news/index.html

      [Editor's note: for those of you who might not know, Terry Pratchett
      is not affiliated with the Conservative Party, or publicly with
      any other party.]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      12) NATION: BACK IN BLACK

      Waterstones booksellers are offering a Nation exclusive: a special
      limited edition of only 5,000 numbered copies, featuring a beautiful
      black jacket with stars and telescope (ISBN 978-0-385-61636-2), for
      £16.99 each. This special edition will be on sale on 1st November
      2008:

      http://tinyurl.com/5cat7e

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      13) PTERRY ONE OF THE MOST UNRETURNED AUTHORS IN WALES

      "In Neath Port Talbot, the top adult authors of books stolen were
      Virginia Andrews, Terry Pratchett and Iris Gower while the most
      popular books for children to go missing were by Jacqueline Wilson,
      Roald Dahl, RL Stine and JK Rowling. In Cardiff, the highest number
      of non-returned books for adults were by Terry Pratchett, Stephen
      King, and Martina Cole."

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?1ewr

      ...SO MAYBE WALES NEEDS MORE ORANGUTANS...?

      Oct 13 2008 by Moira Sharkey, South Wales Echo

      A STAGGERING 53,000 books were stolen from libraries in South Wales
      in the last two years – at a cost of £360,000. Cardiff, Wales'
      biggest local authority, suffered the worst losses, with more than
      17,000 books disappearing from the shelves since 2006 at a cost of
      £136,000. This means that more than £1,000-worth of books are
      going missing each week in the capital. Politicians have demanded
      action to reduce losses.

      In total across Wales around 100,000 books have not been returned in
      two years. The value of this stock is estimated at £600,000. The
      most popular books to be taken and never returned are children's
      books such as the Harry Potter series by author JK Rowling, or the
      Roald Dahl books or those by Jacqueline Wilson. Best-selling writer
      Terry Pratchett's novels were also targeted.

      Chris Franks, Plaid Cymru AM for South Wales – who requested the
      information on books either not returned or stolen – is calling
      for an amnesty on fines so that the books can be returned.

      Cardiff council has tried book amnesties but say they have little
      impact. It hopes that a new self-service scanning system in which
      books are all tagged will reduce the problem of theft.

      http://tinyurl.com/5p364a

      [Editor's note: at time of publication, links to these articles
      appear to be broken.]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      14) THE COLOUR OF MAGIC: NEWS

      14.1 THE COLOUR OF MAGIC TO AIR IN USA

      From Market Watch

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?1e1e

      The Colour of Magic is finally coming to the USA on ION Television
      on Sunday, November 23 at 7:00 p.m. ET:

      http://tiny.cc/tnos9

      The full press release for The Color of Magic (yes, that's how the
      title goes in American English), airing on ION Television, is at:

      http://thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=20081007ion01

      Note: ION Television is available via satellite on Direct TV
      (Channel 306) and Dish Network (Channel 181). To find out where ION
      is on your local broadcast stations or on your local cable, go to:

      http://www.iontelevision.com

      and enter in your Zip Code in the "FIND US BY ZIP CODE" box on the
      upper right of the home page.

      14.2 ...AND TO BUY ON DVD...

      From the official Colour of Magic press release:
      "Casting its spell over audiences this Christmas is Terry
      Pratchett's fantasy masterpiece, The Colour of Magic, available on
      DVD and Blu-ray from the 3rd November. Released by Twentieth Century
      Fox Home Entertainment and starring David Jason and Sean Astin this
      mystical adventure film combines two of Pratchett's most-beloved
      novels, The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic.

      "Available as a single disc version or a limited-edition two-disc
      set packed with exclusive behind the scenes extras including; a gag
      reel, deleted scenes and cast interviews. Bringing a piece of Terry
      Pratchett's unique magic into every home the film will ensure
      viewers young and old enjoy a thrilling journey across Discworld
      this Christmas."

      Colour of Magic DVD details:
      Release date: 3rd November
      Running time: 2 x 92 minute episodes
      Distributor: Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
      Certificate: TBC
      DVD Price: £19.99 RRP
      Two-disc Ltd edition: £24.99 RRP
      Blu-ray Price: £24.99 RRP

      Special Features:
      1 Disc DVD: feature film only

      2 Disc DVD (limited edition): 8 Discworld 'Tourist Guides', 7
      deleted scenes, gag reel, cast interviews, photo gallery and
      production stills

      Blu-ray: Same as 2 disc DVD plus 'The Making of the Colour of Magic'

      From The Trades:

      "The only downside at all to this disc is that it presents the story
      episodically, just as it appeared in the United Kingdom. Which means
      that at the beginning of each chapter, you get the quick recap of all
      the chapters that preceded it. Further, the disc menu does not have a
      "Play All" functionality, so you must return to the episode list menu
      after each episode has played, which gets annoying.

      "Bonuses on this disc include a thirty minute interview with author
      Terry Pratchett about the Discworld in general and "Soul Music" in
      specific. There's also an animated "Welcome to the Discworld" pilot,
      storyboards, a text biography of Pratchett, text synopses of the
      dramatis personae, and an index of other Discworld novels."

      http://www.the-trades.com/article.php?id=10624

      http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=69039

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      15) INTERVIEW WITH VADIM JEAN

      'Asked about his adaptations of Pratchett's Discworld novels, Vadim
      said it had been "a dream come true" because he loved Discworld so much.

      He said: "I remember when I sat down to start adapting Hogfather,
      thinking 'Oh dear, I have a national icon in my hand and how the hell
      can I hope to do justice to Britain's biggest-selling adult author.' I
      think it helps that I am fan and that I loved the books before I
      started to make the movies."

      Having seen the first draft, Pratchett asked to meet Vadim and, to his
      relief, told him: "I really like it, largely because it's mainly my
      own words."'

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?1fro

      (contains embedded video link)

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      16) MORE REPORTS: THE HAYLING ISLAND AND SOUTHPORT SIGNINGS

      In Southport

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?1dgc

      and Hayling Island

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?1dge

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      17) THE PLAY'S THE THING: DISCWORLD PLAYS AROUND ROUNDWORLD

      17.1 REMINDER: WYRD SISTERS FOR HALLOWEEN IN KELVEDON, ESSEX

      The Kelvedon Players Halloween season of Wyrd Sisters has its final
      nights on 31st October and 1st November 2008. In the spirit of the
      season, Fancy Dress is encouraged (though not compulsory!)

      Where: The Institute, High Street, Kelvedon, Essex
      When: doors open 7.30pm, performances at 8.00pm

      Kelvedon Players also proudly announce that, thanks to the Essex
      County Council Community Initiatives Fund, they now have actual
      staging instead of having to stand on old wooden tables. Well done!
      - although performing on wooden tables does sound properly
      Lancrastian...

      For more information please visit http://www.kelvedonplayers.co.uk

      17.2 REMINDER: WYRD SISTERS IN EAST GRINSTEAD FOR HALLOWEEN

      Ace Theatre Company continues its current season of Wyrd Sisters
      with final performances on 7th and 8th November 2008.

      Where: Chequer Mead Community Arts Centre, De La Warr Road, East
      Grinstead, Sussex RH19 3BS
      When: no idea, but 7.30pm sounds like a good bet
      Tickets: £10 (Box Office telephone 01342 302000)

      http://tinyurl.com/6kxfa2

      17.3 REMINDER: MORT IN YORK FOR HALLOWEEN

      If you're wondering why Death has been seen wandering around York --
      a recognisable Discworld Death -- it's because he's fundraising for
      Alzheimer's research on behalf of the York Rising Stars theatre
      company!

      York Rising Stars, who have pledged 20p from each programme sale to
      the Alzheimer's Society York and Selby branch, will perform their
      production of Mort on 31st October & 1st November 2008 at the York
      Railway Institute, Queen Street, York (next door to York Railway
      Station).

      What with it being Halloween, the York Rising Stars are encouraging
      the audience are encouraged to come along in fancy dress, and
      there's an extra incentive: anyone in costume will be automatically
      entered in a special door raffle to win a pair of tickets to the
      opening night of either the company's pantomime 'Matron Wibble
      Wobble' in February 2009, or a pair of tickets to the opening night
      of their next Pratchett production, Maskerade, in May 2009. There
      will also be a fundraising raffle at each performance, as well as
      refreshments available in the main hall, and in the bar downstairs.

      Tickets are £5 each, and can be obtained by email:
      charlotte@...

      ...or by ringing 01904 623222.

      For more information, visit www.yorkrisingstars.co.uk.

      17.4 WYRD SISTERS IN SOUTHPORT, 2009

      The Sefton Theatre Company of Southport will present Stephen Briggs'
      adaptation of Wyrd Sisters, directed by Roger Sloman, next March.
      Performances will run from Wednesday 11th-Saturday 14th March 2009
      at the Southport Arts Centre Studio. All performances start at
      7:45pm and tickets cost £7 (£5.50 concessions).

      http://www.seftontheatrecompany.co.uk/about.htm
      Box Office: 01704 540 011

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      18) TRANSCRIPT OF PTERRY'S WASHINGTON POST ONLINE CHAT

      On the Washington Post website

      Q: "How did you get the idea for Nation?"

      A: "I wish I knew, because if I did I would go back to the same
      place with a bucket."

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?1cyw

      and a comment from ConMan of BU:

      "Some good reading there. The answer to the 'How are you feeling?'
      question is particularly interesting, especially since I finished
      Nation a short while ago (damn Australian delayed release date!) and
      one of the comments I was planning to make was that it certainly
      didn't seem like he'd lost any of his ability to weave a story
      together!"

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      19) DISCWORLD GAMING NEWS

      19.1 DISCWORLD GAME DOWNLOAD

      The Discworld 2 game 'Mortality Bytes' (so called in North America;
      also known as 'Missing, Presumed...') is now available for download.
      Inspired by the events of Reaper Man, the game was originally
      released by Psygnosis in 1999. File size is 64 Mb:

      http://tinyurl.com/3jlg3b

      19.2 VIRTUAL ANKH-MORPORK!

      Virtual Ankh-Morpork is being built in Second Life:
      http://slurl.com/secondlife/Ankh%20Morpork/137/111/25

      If you did not get all six parts, write: interact@...