WOSSNAME -- OCTOBER 2008 -- PART 1 OF 6

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 27, 2008
      OCTOBER 2008 (Volume 11, Issue 10)
      WOSSNAME is a FREE publication for members of the worldwide
      Editor Emeritus (retd): Joseph Schaumburger
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      time)

      ====Part 1 -- ALL THE NEWS THAT FITS

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH
      2) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      3) AN UPDATE FROM THE MASTER
      4) NATION: ROCKING THE SALES LISTS
      5) REVIEWS OF NATION
      6) PTERRY TAKES SECOND SPOT IN UK BOOK SALES FOR ADULTS
      7) NEW UK DISCWORLD RELEASES
      8) FORTHCOMING PRATCHETT SIGNINGS
      9) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S: NEWS

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS...

      10) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S: NEWS, CONTINUED
      11) ADDRESS TO THE CONSERVATIVE PARTY CONFERENCE
      12) NATION: BACK IN BLACK
      13) PTERRY ONE OF THE MOST UNRETURNED AUTHORS IN WALES
      14) THE COLOUR OF MAGIC: RELEASE AND BROADCAST NEWS
      15) INTERVIEW WITH VADIM JEAN
      16) MORE REPORTS: THE HAYLING ISLAND AND SOUTHPORT SIGNINGS
      17) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      18) TRANSCRIPT OF WASHINGTON POST ONLINE CHAT
      19) DISCWORLD GAMES NEWS

      ====Part 3 -- ...AND MORE, AND REVIEWS, AND...

      20) TRANSCRIPT OF PTERRY'S Q & A ON THE 'SECOND LIFE' NATION
      21) MICRO ART STUDIO TO RELEASE DISCWORLD FIGURINES
      22) ACTION REPLAY: THE ARIA FROM MASKERADE
      23) TIM WHITE: ANOTHER OFFICIAL DISCWORLD ARTIST TO ENJOY
      24) CONVENTION NEWS
      25) PTERRY ON THE TUBE
      26) REVIEW OF THE ILLUSTRATED WEE FREE MEN
      27) BLOG REVIEW OF THE FOLKLORE OF DISCWORLD
      28) REVIEW OF ONLY YOU CAN SAVE MANKIND ON TOR.COM
      29) BLOG REVIEW OF THE TURTLE MOVES - BY ITS AUTHOR!
      30) IT'S ALL ABOUT THE BRAAAAINSSS: A PAEAN TO REG SHOE

      ====Part 4 -- ODDITIES, BU, ABP, WEIRD ALICE

      31) CURIOUS BEASTIES OF ROUNDWORLD: THE COCONUT CRAB
      32) BUGARUP UNIVERSITY CAMPUS NEWSROUND
      33) ABP BITS
      34) THE CLACKS LOG OF WEIRD ALICE LANCREVIC

      ====Part 5 -- HOROSCOPE

      35) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      ====Part 6 -- LATE BREAKING NEWS, AND CLOSE

      36) LATE BREAKING NEWS

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH

      +++ In The Absence Of Duration And Dimension, There Must Be
      Potentiality. +++

      -- HEX in The Science of Discworld, p.45

      Here we are on the run-up to that night of the year when witches and
      wizards party, people wear funny costumes and drink too much, and
      strange noises are heard in the midnight darkness...no, it's not
      quite Hogswatch yet (although that's a pork product of contention in
      some Discworld circles), but it is Roundworld Halloween time. It's
      good to see that more and more amateur theatre companies are
      offering up a serving of Lancre witches as Halloween fare; hopefully
      this is the start of a new tradition. Now to get costume companies
      working on those Nanny Ogg, Detritus, Rincewind and Ankh-Morpork
      City Watch outfits...

      Our esteemed Author has been busy, not only with his writing but
      also with his tireless fight to raise awareness of Alzheimer's
      Disease. He has also kindly scheduled some extra book signings.
      Let's hope that this is a sign that his carefulness and medical
      treatment are going well. As a sufferer for most of the past 18
      years of a chronic illness that, among other things, "eats the
      brain", I have a special sympathy for Mr Pratchett, even though I'm
      lucky because *my* illness does give me most of my brain back and I
      have a chance of returning eventually to full health. Here's to a
      world in which Alzheimer's research points the way to a cure, or at
      least to prevention.

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      3) A MESSAGE FROM PTERRY

      October 24th 2008

      Terry's October Update

      At last some progress is being made on Unseen Academicals since we
      got through the making of the BBC2 documentary and all the
      alternative calls on my time that seemed to have filled the past
      year. Today, for example, I have nothing to do but write and Rob and
      I were just mentioning how odd it is to have a day which does not
      involve some kind of travel, meeting, or interview. In fact Rob is
      about to interview me right now:

      Rob - Would you like a cup of tea, Terry?

      Me - That is a very good question, but I think I would like a
      coffee, please, and do we have any of that nice shortbread left?

      On the health side, there's very little change. Various tests over
      previous months appear to show me as being very stable; if you take
      a view that my ground state of being is stable in any case. The many
      experts that I have met during the making of the documentary seem
      rather puzzled, although there is actually no doubt that the scans
      show that I do have some form of dementia. However, I am still
      pretty much at the stage where if you didn't know, you wouldn't
      realise that there is anything wrong.

      BBC Radio 4 has asked me to appear on "With Great Pleasure" on
      Christmas day and currently the floor of the office is covered in
      books as I try to pick my fifteen or so favourite literary pieces.
      The show will pre-recorded in Bath on November 14th or 15th and free
      tickets will be available on a first come first served basis. We
      will post more information right here as soon as we have it.

      All the best.

      (signed, Terry Pratchett)

      PS - We have now found space to hang the now famous Pratchgan in one
      place. We'll post photos shortly.

      * * *

      The original message, with signature, can be found online at:

      http://www.pjsmprints.com/news/index.html

      Do check out the excellent iconographs on the page -- including a
      lovely one of Pterry's brain!

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      4) NATION: ROCKING THE SALES LISTS

      In the first full week of sales in the UK, Nation was in the no.1
      spot for Children's books with 23,848 copies sold, vastly ahead of
      the list's no. 2 title. Had Nation been listed on the adult fiction
      chart it would also have been at the number 1 spot, by an even
      larger margin. Nation is also number 3 in the All Titles chart,
      behind two other authors released in paperback.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      5) REVIEWS OF NATION

      5.1 NATION REVIEWED IN SRI LANKA

      The Sunday Leader, Colombo, Sri Lanka

      "His humour is more subtle and is something many enjoy while reading
      his books – the wit doesn't overpower anything else, nor does it
      feel forced to make the story lighter despite all the tragedy
      happening around it. It is put in effortlessly and is weaved
      throughout, keeping it commonplace and not out of place in any way.
      There's also some fantastic action scenes in this book, more
      notably toward the middle and end, and all of these together make
      this book a highly recommended read."

      http://www.thesundayleader.lk/20080928/lifestyle.HTM

      5.2 ...AND IN LAS VEGAS

      The Book Nook
      Las Vegas Review-Journal

      "Readers won't be disappointed with Nation as it contains plenty of
      Pratchett's trademark wit. But the author goes a step further with
      this book, balancing his clever humor with a touching thoughtfulness
      revealed through a boy forced over the brink to manhood."

      http://www.lvrj.com/blogs/booknook/Nation_by_Terry_Pratchett.html

      5.3 ...AND BY NOTED SF WRITER AND BLOGGER CORY DOCTOROW

      "Nation is an absolutely sweet book, a story that is part Lord of
      the Flies and part Treasure Island, with strong and likable
      characters who are forced to their limits by circumstances. The
      action is well-paced, the philosophy and science are deftly handled,
      and there is humor and fear in equal measures... It's a complete
      departure for Pratchett and yet is recognizably him, on every page,
      writing with the same grace and wit we know from his other work."

      http://www.boingboing.net/2008/09/30/terry-pratchetts-nat.html

      5.4 ...AND BLOGGER KELSEY MARCUSSEN...

      "Pratchett has constructed a masterful piece of literature that
      enthralls the readers and enriches them with the truths of the
      world. It's full of adventure and action and ideas that'll make you
      think for ages to come. I can think of no other book that has caused
      such wild emotions in one sitting for me."

      http://blogcritics.org/archives/2008/10/20/185024.php

      5.5 ...NOT TO MENTION TOR.COM...

      "I'm impressed with how much Nation gets right. And I'm impressed
      with how honest it is: the narrative, though it has Terry
      Pratchett's usual funny patter throughout, cuts no corners and coats
      nothing with sugar. I've read 'serious' works that handle such
      events as just so much background noise, or handles them with sugar
      tongs like ladies making tea; Nation gets its hands dirty and puts
      that 'noise' at the forefront."

      A longish and excellently-written review by Arachne Jericho,
      featuring also-excellent footnotes:

      http://tinyurl.com/6lthme

      5.6 ...AND THE BATTLE CREEK ENQUIRER

      "Pratchett is a natural storyteller, but this new one feels more
      constructed than usual, with layer upon layer of plot and character
      and philosophy carefully balanced upon each other. It starts out
      tentatively, awkwardly self-aware. Once the story kicks in and the
      characters are allowed to move about freely, though, Nation is a
      big, breathing, entertaining novel."

      Nation review by Annie J. Kelley:

      http://tinyurl.com/6n6xjn

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      6) PTERRY TAKES SECOND SPOT IN UK BOOK SALES FOR ADULTS

      From The Scotsman:

      "In second place is fantasy writer Terry Pratchett, creator of the
      Discworld series, ahead of Alexander McCall Smith, whose works
      include the 44 Scotland Street series that first appeared in The
      Scotsman. They are [along with number one place holder Jeremy
      Clarkson] the only others in the list to have sold an average of a
      million books or more per year since 2005."

      The Daily Record says it is British authors of books aimed at
      adults so perhaps some of Pterry's weren't counted? -- Fiona (Not
      Bruce) Bruce, WOSSNAME News Editor

      [Link is no longer available, alas -- Ed.]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      7) NEW UK DISCWORLD RELEASES

      7.1 THE COLOUR OF MAGIC ILLUSTRATED SCREENPLAY

      In hardcover, to be published on 27th November 2008 (but can be pre-
      ordered from Amazon):

      http://www.orionbooks.co.uk/HB-40859/the-colour-of-magic-.htm

      7.2 THE COLOUR OF MAGIC/THE LIGHT FANTASTIC 25th ANNIVERSARY
      ILLUSTRATED EDITION

      Illustrated by Stephen Player! In hardcover, also due to be
      published on 27th November:

      http://tinyurl.com/6xdzua

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      8) GET YER LIVE AUTHOR HERE! FORTHCOMING PRATCHETT SIGNINGS

      8.1 PTERRY AT FORBIDDEN PLANET!

      Terry Pratchett will be appearing at the Forbidden Planet London
      Megastore, 179 Shaftesbury Ave, London WC2H 8JR (telephone 0207 420
      3666), on 3rd November at 6pm. He might even be signing books. Or
      DVDs. Hat. Hat. Hat.

      Or, as the shop puts it:

      "Forbidden Planet are thrilled to announce a signing event by the
      great Terry Pratchett to launch the DVD of 'The Colour Of Magic'...
      Join Terry Pratchett and director Vadim Jean for a signing of The
      Colour of Magic DVD at the Forbidden Planet Megastore, 179
      Shaftesbury Avenue, London, WC2H 8JR, on Monday 3rd November between
      5:30 and 6:30pm... This will be the ONLY signing event for this DVD
      so don't miss it. Order your copy - and see all of our forthcoming
      signings by clicking here":

      http://tinyurl.com/5juvz6

      8.2 NOVEMBER SIGNING IN WINCHESTER

      Terry will be signing at the Wessex Book Fair in the Guildhall in
      Winchester on Saturday 29th November 2008. Signing times: 11.am –
      12pm and 1pm – 2pm

      http://tinyurl.com/62fuyn

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      9) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S: THE LATEST NEWS

      9.1 Daily Mail online:

      "And I'm 60; that's supposed to be the new 40. The baby boomers
      are getting older, and will stay older for longer. And they will run
      right into the dementia firing range. How will a society cope?"

      "That's the gift or the curse of our little variant. We have
      problems handling the physical world but can come pretty close to
      talking our way out of it so you don't notice. We might have our
      shirts done up wrong, but might be able to convince you it's a new
      style..."

      "I felt that all I had was a voice, and I should make it heard. It
      never occurred to me not to use it. I went on the net and told,
      well, everyone. I wish I could say it was an act of bravery. It
      wasn't and I find that suggestion very nearly obscene. How brave is
      it to say you have a disease that does not hint of a dissolute
      youth, riotous living or even terrible eating habits? Anyone can
      contract dementia; and every day and with a growing momentum,
      anybody does."

      http://tinyurl.com/3w2zs6

      9.2 Daily Telegraph online

      "Mr Pratchett, whose best known work is the multi-million selling
      Discworld series, said: 'It's a strange life when you "come out" -
      people get embarrassed, lower their voices and get lost for words...
      The first step is to talk openly about dementia because it's a fact,
      well enshrined in folklore that if we are to kill the demon then
      first we have to say its name.'"

      http://tinyurl.com/4s6mja

      9.3 The Times online has a short letter from Mr Pratchett about
      fighting Alzheimer's:

      http://tinyurl.com/6n4z3v

      9.4 In the News and Star online, a good brief piece:

      "The Alzheimer's Society believes the only way to confront fear and
      change attitudes is by openly confronting the disease. Terry
      Pratchett, with humanity and humour, is doing just that in a quietly
      heroic way."

      http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/opinion/ross_brewster/1.252181

      If you did not get all six parts, write: interact@...