WOSSNAME -- SEPTEMBER 2008 -- PART 3 OF 5

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2008
      WOSSNAME -- SEPTEMBER 2008 -- PART 3 OF 5 (continued)

      ====Part 3 -- ...AND MORE, AND WEIRD ALICE

      23) EUAN MACRAE MEMORIAL CYCLETHON
      24) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
      25) GOOD OMENS: A REVIEW IN CATHOLIC ONLINE
      26) WOW-WOW SAUCE: IT'S THE REAL THING
      27) ...AND SO IS THE BARKING DOG
      28) BUGARUP UNIVERSITY CAMPUS NEWSROUND
      29) ABP BITS: NATION WOWS 'EM
      30) THE CLACKS LOG OF WEIRD ALICE LANCREVIC

      23) EUAN MACRAE MEMORIAL CYCLETHON

      23.1) From the Ross-shire Journal:

      The Euan Macrae Memorial Bike Challenge is being staged as a
      fundraiser for CLIC Sargent, the UK's leading children's cancer
      charity, who supported Euan and his family through his treatment.

      And bookworms who share Euan's love for the work of Terry Pratchett
      have even more of an incentive to sign up for the picturesque 22km
      route through Tain woods on Saturday, September 20. The author, who
      voiced his admiration for the youngster after meeting him, has
      provided some signed books as prizes.

      Euan died a year ago, and family and friends aim to honour his
      memory and provide a boost to the charity that offered help and
      support during those difficult times.

      Peter Logie, CLIC Sargent's fundraiser said, "The track is generally
      quite smooth so participants don't need expensive bikes or have to be
      particularly fit to enjoy the ride. We're hoping to include a few
      attractions such as a barbecue, face painter and some extra surprises
      along the way, based on a Terry Pratchett theme. He was Euan's
      favourite author and he got to meet him. Terry is very kindly donating
      some signed books as prizes."

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?1a0y

      23.2) AND NOW, THE FOLLOW-UP: CYCLETHON REPORT

      A WOSSNAME exclusive, by Peter Logie of CLIC Sargent

      On September 20th a special bike ride was staged in Tain Woods,
      Scotland, in memory of a much loved local teenager, Euan Macrae, who
      died last September after battling cancer for 4 years. The Euan
      Macrae Memorial Book Bike Challenge was staged as a fundraiser for
      CLIC Sargent, the UK's leading children's cancer charity, who
      supported Euan and his family through his treatment.

      Karen Macrae, Euan's mum commented, "I laughed out loud when Peter
      Logie, CLIC Sargent's fundraiser suggested the idea to me. Euan was
      most definitely not a cyclist but he loved books. Terry Pratchett
      was Euan's favourite author and as we talked about the idea, we
      realised that we could bring a real book theme into the event and
      give it a real Euan feel." We thought that it would be rather fun to
      include a Terry Pratchett theme to the Ride and Terry was delighted
      to be involved as he really liked Euan.

      Euan was a great fan of Terry Pratchett and had met him in
      London when his literary wish to meet celebrated best selling author
      Terry Pratchett was granted by Make-A-Wish Foundation UK, the
      charity that grants wishes to children and young people aged 3 to 17
      living with life-threatening illnesses. Euan made a great impression
      on him and Terry was devastated when Euan died last year at 16. We
      received some great signed prizes from Terry, books, CDs DVDs and
      they have made up an award in Euan's name.

      More than 70 people took part in the 22 Km cycle route that carved a
      trail through one of the most picturesque woods in the Highlands
      with some magnificent views over the Dornoch Firth and the
      surrounding countryside. The idea was to have interesting bits that
      we then related to Terry Pratchett books. The owls were "Wings"; the
      Splat the rat, run by the Scouts, was "The Amazing Maurice and his
      Educated Rodents", and the barbeque was "Nanny Ogg's Cookbook". We
      had a storyteller as well who was recounting some extracts of Terry
      Pratchett's stories.

      The event will be run again in 2009.

      To find out more about CLIC Sargent log onto www.clicsargent.org.uk

      Editor's note: For those of you who may not remember, Euan met Terry
      Pratchett when he (Euan, not Pterry) was 14. Here's the story,
      courtesy of PJSM Prints:

      http://www.paulkidby.com/news/feb2006.html

      23.3) PHOTOS FROM CYCLETHON

      Lovely scenery, lots of cycles, and a wonderful owl...

      BBQ: http://tinyurl.com/4ck2v4
      Cycling: http://tinyurl.com/5xk2b3
      Owl: http://tinyurl.com/4lm5f6
      Starting line: http://tinyurl.com/4xpre3
      Storytelling tent: http://tinyurl.com/4jq5b8
      Scenic place for a bicycle ride!: http://tinyurl.com/42atfd

      Some lovely casual iconographs,kindly captured and supplied by Pat
      Harkin, of the Hayling Island and Waterstones Nation signings:

      Hayling, queue seen from the front:
      http://tinyurl.com/4o54jh

      Hayling, front of the very small bookshop:
      http://tinyurl.com/3vzq8j

      Hayling, Terry admiring the Nation-themed window display:
      http://tinyurl.com/3fp7pu

      Hayling, Terry signing:
      http://tinyurl.com/3hw5wg

      Waterstones, queue with 1 hour to go:
      http://tinyurl.com/54nrpl

      Waterstones signing area, far larger than the entire Hayling Island
      bookshop!
      http://tinyurl.com/49mbed

      Waterstones signing area:
      http://tinyurl.com/5y4a2j

      Waterstones signing area 2:
      http://tinyurl.com/463nra

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      25) GOOD OMENS: A REVIEW IN CATHOLIC ONLINE

      In Catholic Online

      http://www.catholic.org/ae/books/review.php?id=29280

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      26) WOW-WOW SAUCE: IT'S THE REAL THING

      A teenaged would-be chef makes Wow-Wow sauce at home...

      "In Pratchett's novels, Wow-Wow Sauce is the favorite condiment of
      Mustrum Ridcully, archchancellor of Unseen University. Mr. Ridcully
      inherited the recipe from an uncle 'who, after half a pint of sauce
      on a big meal one evening, had a charcoal biscuit to settle his
      stomach, lit his pipe, and disappeared in mysterious circumstances,
      although his shoes were found on the roof the following
      summer.'...It turns out the true Wow-Wow Sauce was invented by the
      early-19th-century foodie, William Kitchiner. His "Cook's Oracle"
      was a bestseller in England and America throughout the 1800s."

      http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0903/p17s01-lifo.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      27) ...AND SO IS THE BARKING DOG

      As I Looked around after the terrible explosion in the room... my
      horror was indescribable..."

      A chemistry experiment with a familiar name:

      http://www.chem.leeds.ac.uk/delights/texts/expt_22.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      28) BUGARUP UNIVERSITY NEWSROUND

      28.1) AN EARLY WIZZARD?

      http://tinyurl.com/5ddyo9

      Various comments included:

      "Ahahahaha! It's Rincewind!"

      "Looks more like Ipslore the Red to me..."

      "Ha, that ain't no wizard! He's carrying a sword and wearing armour,
      and has just chopped somebody's head off instead of turning them
      into a cloud of pink mist...."

      "Hang on - we do know that pre-Ridcully-era wizards were far more
      prone to violence!"

      "I do notice that a very young Wuffles is by his feet."

      "Ancestor of the noble Wuffles line, eh?"

      28.2) FANTASY GOOD OMENS CASTING

      Asti:
      We need Good Omens brought to the silver screen. With Ian McKellen
      as Aziraphale, Malcolm McDowell as Crawley, Katherine Tate as Sister
      Mary Loquacious, Christina Ricci or Claire Danes as Anathema Device,
      Jo Brand as Madam Tracy, Rhys Ifans or Mackenzie Crook as Famine,
      the Shend needs to be one of the Other Four Horsemen of the
      Apocalypse, Alan Rickman should reprise his role as the Metatron,
      etc. Anyone else feel like playing this game?

      Fuzzy:
      We do need a Good Omens film. Definitely Ian McKellen as Aziraphale.
      But the whole cast would need to be English (or at least capable of
      a decent English accent) other than Crowley and the other assorted
      demons, who are allowed to be Merkins, and I reckon Famine should be
      a Merkin too. Mackenzie Crook would be better as Pollution/
      Pestilence I think, I always pictured Famine being much more Italian
      -American mafia-like in a businessman sorta way. I could have got my
      imaginings entirely wrong though. Anathema Device would need to be
      kinda like a young Dawn French I reckon, pretty but not Hollywood
      pretty, and a bit on the plump side. Orlando Bloom could do an OK
      Newton Pulsifer, although he'd need to act quite geeky, dunno if he
      can do that.

      Asti:
      And Alan Cumming needs to be in there somewhere.

      Fuzzy:
      How about Simon Pegg for Newt?

      Asti:
      Simon Pegg would be ok, although I had imagined someone in his 20s -
      as I do with Anathema actually. Actually, Alan Cumming as Crowley
      would be awesome.

      Fuzzy:
      He'd do, I suppose, but I pictured some smooth, dark, arrogant
      American guy, one who you should really hate because he loves himself
      so much, but who you end up fancying like crazy. Can't think of one
      though :-/ An American Robbie Williams maybe? Or Robbie doing an
      American accent?

      Asti:
      Erm, And you think Alan Cumming can't do an American accent? I
      guarantee that he can fulfill the rest of the requirements!

      Fuzzy:
      Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Scratch all that! Jude Law!

      Asti:
      Ah yes, Gigolo Joe gets my vote. Still campaigning for a part for
      Alan.

      Fuzzy:
      Also, what about Anthony Head as an alternative Aziraphale?

      Asti:
      Dunno about Anthony Head. Maybe as Hastur....

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      29) ABP BITS: NATION WOWS 'EM, WITH EXTRA ADDED TIME TRAVEL

      "TOPIC: Nation - Not a review, not spoiler, just hooked."

      OK - I've read some bits about what Nation is about and heard TP on
      Radio 4 mention other bits. However, as it is not DW, I was going
      to wait until either I had heard good things(TM) about it or it was
      cheap in paperback.

      However, I was in a local (UK) supermarket(T) and they had it at
      No.1 and Half Price (8.49 GBP), so I thought "well might as well
      have a quick scan on a random page since I'm here".

      Page 51 from the top... starts in the middle of a sentence and
      paragraph so the words don't carry their meaning (a bit like tuning
      an old dial radio where you get snatches of voices and music but no
      enlightenment). Then the next paragraph began "But.." and less than
      ten lines on I'm hooked.

      Book at home and what the heck am I doing typing this when I could
      be reading.....

      N A T I O N

      -- Reader in Invisible Writings.

      For those of us lucky enough to attend the Con, Terry read it at the
      Bedtime Stories. It sounds amazing. Some of the writing in it
      sounded like some of the best he's done. He read one section that
      (and I'm being very wary of spoilers) here where the protagonist has
      to do something they find almost impossible. I could visualise how
      the character felt and it brought a huge lump to my throat. Quite
      brilliant.

      -- Andrew N

      Today is the 6th. Rumour mill said no release until the 11th.
      So how were you buying it today? And where from, exactly?

      -- RD

      Having Googled, I see what you mean, but it is in both Tesco and
      ASDA (Tesco have it as the number one selling hardback and ASDA at
      number 9!) Where do they get their figures from? Oh and Tesco's
      website gives availability as 11/9!

      Amazon UK gives publication date as 11 September, status as In Stock
      and promises to deliver by Tuesday 9 September! Sort that one out!
      Play.com give 11/9 and pre-order! WH Smith site is just as confused
      as Amazon!

      What can I say, at Page 139 I'm not in a position to take it back!

      -- Reader in Invisible Writings

      I was at the Official Release Signing of Wee Free Men. Which was two
      days before the Official Release. I'd bought my copy at the same
      shop the previous day.

      -- Dave

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      30) THE CLACKS LOG OF WEIRD ALICE LANCREVIC

      Post 15. THERE...AND NOT QUITE BACK AGAIN

      First Clog: "We have a Plan..."

      Which is to say that we *had* a plan. I was finally packing to
      leave, but now I'm completely packed and soon leaving, because
      something unexpected happened. So as of now the Sisters of Invention
      are disbanded, or at least a band that's banned forever from playing
      in Ankh-Morpork. And we can't play at present because we're...
      well... guests of the Patrician. Which is to say, under house arrest
      at the Palace.

      What happened, do I hear you ask? What happened was that Lucrezia
      had a little, um, mishap, and it reflected badly on all of us. Yes.
      Right. Mishap. I'm sure that's what it was.

      Luckily, no-one died. Otherwise we'd be downstairs in the famous
      dungeons -- or worse -- instead of marking time in a rather well-
      appointed suite of rooms in one of the disused wings of the Palace.

      An accidental mass poisoning is a mishap, surely...

      I'm not too clear on the details, but it seems that last week when
      we were doing our regular gig at Wahoonie, I'm Home, the barman and
      a number of customers were paying a little too much unwanted
      attention to Lucrezia, who after all is young and attractive, if a
      little odd. I'm sure it was just an accidental slip of the hand that
      caused the adulteration of several pitchers of cocktails with one of
      her favourite custom-brewed poisons. How was she to know that all
      those large chaps in the corner were out on a stag party?
      Personally, I think it was probably the Ankh water in the Aqueduct
      de Luxe cocktails that was to blame, but one doesn't argue with the
      Watch when they show up promptly -- which they did -- and well-armed
      -- which they were. There was a lot of shouting and a lot of
      questions, not to mention a lot of agonised groaning (from the large
      chaps who drank from said pitchers and were now rolling around on
      the floor with green froth coming out of their mouths, and yes, it
      was a different colour of green than the green froth on the Rule You
      Wholesale cocktail), and we got taken into custody and spent the
      rest of the night at Pseudopolis Yard. They took our instruments
      into custody as well, but gave us receipts for them. All in all we
      were treated quite well, possibly because we're the right sort of
      foreign but also possibly because we've become very popular in A-M
      and even possibly because Cert has a fair amount of influence by way
      of his working on the technomantic side of the Undertaking, and we
      were given some very nourishing tea. Watchmen certainly know how to
      make the kind of nourishing tea that gets you through the night,
      even if it is strong enough to dissolve the glaze on the inside of
      the regulation prisoner mugs.

      And then in the morning we were taken to the Palace. And here we
      remain. They ever gave us back our instruments (which is why we're
      in an unused wing, I imagine), but kept Lucrezia's handbag as
      Evidence.

      A very polite Captain of the Watch, tall and smelling of soap and
      dog biscuits, came to see us this morning. He gave us a stern
      lecture and said that, as no actual life was lost and as the
      Patrician is very busy at the moment, we're going to be allowed to
      leave soon, so long as we promise to depart immediately from A-M and
      agree to never, ever perform in the City again (scorpion pits were
      mentioned). Also, if any of us ever return for a non-musical visit,
      we have to report to the Watch on arrival. That seems fair, even if
      it was surely all a misunderstanding.

      So I'm finally going home.