WOSSNAME -- SEPTEMBER 2008 -- PART 2 OF 5

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2008
      WOSSNAME -- SEPTEMBER 2008 -- PART 2 OF 5 (continued)

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS, PLAYS, AND CONVENTION REPORTS

      12) PIECE ON PTERRY AND HIS ILLNESS
      13) A QUILT OF MANY PARTS
      14) CROCHET MODEL OF DISCWORLD
      15) DECONSTRUCTING DISCWORLD: STRANGE HORIZONS ARTICLE
      16) PTERRY TO GET A (SECOND) LIFE
      17) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      18) DWCON 2008: ADDITIONAL CONVENTION REPORTS
      19) ASK HER ABOUT STAMPS
      20) TRUCKERS ON THE BIG SCREEN
      21) ONLINE REVIEW OF THE TURTLE MOVES
      22) NADWCON UPDATES

      8) INTERVIEW WITH PTERRY IN PUBLISHERS' WEEKLY

      "One of the things from which I take a certain amount of
      satisfaction is that Alzheimer's made a mistake, because it hit me
      with a variant that leaves me still more than capable of thinking
      and writing and speaking..."

      http://tinyurl.com/5a9v37

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      9) IN THE FRONT ROW: LISTEN AGAIN (AND AGAIN!)

      For those of you who missed it, or never heard it because you live
      outside the UK, here is a downloadable mp3 of Pterry discussing
      Nation on BBC radio's "Front Row" show. The file size is 16.1MB and
      it's well worth a listen:

      http://tinyurl.com/6azzsh

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      10) ...AND LISTEN TO PTERRY ON THE ABC BOOK SHOW

      This one comes from the distant continent of Fourecks-- Pterry
      recorded at the Edinburgh International Book Festival in front of an
      audience; the feature includes slight spoilery hints about Unseen
      Academicals (but surely the Author is allowed to spoiler his fans)
      and Pterry's explanation of how he came to conceive and write
      Nation, plus a reading from the opening chapters of the book...not
      to mention a bit of Mr Pratchett singing! The file size is 17.4MB:

      http://tinyurl.com/4owu78

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      11) NATION FREEBIE!

      A heads-up from poster Ray of alt.books.pratchett:

      Are you an Ipoints user? Got over 2000 points? Then get yourself
      onto Ipoints and redeem them for a copy of Nation for BOG ALL! (I
      believe it was listed at 2190 points).

      How cool is that (if your an Ipoints user of course)? The only thing
      better than a free new book? A free new Terry Pratchett book.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      12) A NICE AND ACCURATE PIECE ON PTERRY AND HIS ILLNESS

      I think I missed this one when it was first published back in March,
      but it's a nicely written short summation of the Man and his career:

      "[Terry and Lyn Pratchett] live with lots of cats and indulged
      chickens that die of old age on the nesting box. Which is just how
      he would like to go himself."

      http://tinyurl.com/63zulg

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      13) A QUILT OF MANY PARTS

      Blogger, craftsperson and, yes, needlewoman Shirley has posted
      photographs of the presentation of an utterly awesome "Pratchgan" --
      a lovingly handmade Discworld-themed patchwork quilt -- to Terry
      Pratchett at last month's Edinburgh Book Festival. The Pratchgan was
      made, square by square (100 of them!) by various knitters around
      Roundworld under the banner of Morporkia. Shirley says, "I'm
      envious, awestruck and all kinds of jealous of the Ravelry Ankh-
      Morpork Knitters Guild people who were privileged to be involved
      with this project, which was to take scenes and images from
      Pratchett's fifty-five plus novels, and knit them into an amazing
      tribute which was handed over to Mr. Pratchett himself yesterday at
      the Edinburgh International Book Festival. Morporkians: this is
      *made* of awesome."

      The Pratchgan contains references, characters and whatnot from all
      Discworld and ranges from the centrepiece of "I ate'nt dead!" to the
      Wyrmberg to the Grim Squeaker to a bas-relief Librarian to the
      calculations of the Disc's foremost cud-chewing mathematician
      and...well, there are so many clever and beautifully executed
      squares that it's hard to choose which ones to mention.

      Read about it here:

      http://tinyurl.com/66dppb

      [Shirley has a raft of interesting Pterry links at the bottom
      of her blog page -- Ed.]

      ...and here are some links to some of my favourite squares:

      The Vimes badge:
      http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/22/1373408/AMCW177.jpg

      The Grim Squeaker:
      http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/22/1373408/grimsqueaker.jpg

      I love Ankh-Morpork:
      http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/22/1373408/i-heart-A-M.jpg

      The People's Republic of Treacle Mine Road:
      http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/22/1373408/peoples-republic.jpg

      Where's my cow?:
      http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/22/1373408/wheres-my-cow.jpg

      Sorry for the garlic:
      http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/22/1373408/sorry_nuggan.jpg

      Rincewind's hat:
      http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/22/1373408/wizzard-hat.jpg

      ...and the photo of a delighted Pterry, pointing to the Black
      Ribboner square (which was made by a relative of a friend of mine):
      http://tinyurl.com/4sfhoh

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      14) ...AND A CROCHET MODEL OF THE DISCWORLD

      http://www.planetjune.com/blog/amigurumi-discworld/

      http://www.planetjune.com/blog/discworld-update/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      15) DECONSTRUCTING DISCWORLD: STRANGE HORIZONS ARTICLE

      "There is no Moria, no Fangorn, no Lothlorien to be found in
      Discworld. Society and politics -- trade, religion, the workings of
      cities, crime, the overthrow of governments, and racial
      discrimination -- are the chosen subjects, and the chosen method is
      satire."

      "While we think of comedy first as something funny, humor is only
      part of what comedy is: more broadly, it is a joyful vision of life,
      a celebration and an admission that there is meaning to life. Comedy
      is, in essence, an expression of optimism and hope."

      This is a fairly long, intelligent and far-reaching essay, covering
      the evolution of the Discworld series, its characters and themes:

      http://www.strangehorizons.com/2008/20080908/royston-a.shtml

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      16) PTERRY TO GET A (SECOND) LIFE

      Random House press release:

      "Random House Children's Books are also launching a special
      promotion in Second Life this month, which will see Terry Pratchett
      participate in a live question and answer session with fans on 9
      October. The event will take place on a virtual version of Nation,
      the island from his latest novel, which will feature scenes and
      locations from the book."

      http://www.booktrade.info/index.php/showarticle/16249

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      17) THE PLAY'S THE THING: DISCWORLD PLAYS AROUND ROUNDWORLD

      17.1) MASKERADE IN TROWBRIDGE, WILTSHIRE

      Trowbridge Players present their production of Maskerade next week
      (October 2008). The play will run from Wednesday 1st October through
      Saturday 4th October at the Arc Theatre in College Road, Trowbridge.

      Tickets are priced at £8 each or £6 for concessions.

      http://tinyurl.com/3mq6lr

      17.2) REMINDER: WYRD SISTERS IN PORT SUNLIGHT

      The Port Sunlight Players will present their production of Wyrd
      Sisters next month (October).

      When: 9th - 11th October 2008
      Where: The Gladstone Theatre, Port Sunlight,Wirral
      Time: Performances start at 7.30pm
      Tickets: £6 (£5 concessions)

      Tickets are available from the theatre box office (0151 643 8757) or
      from the Port Sunlight Players (0151 334 3040).

      For further details, see www.gladstonetheatre.org.uk

      17.3) MORT IN YORK FOR HALLOWE'EN

      The York Rising Stars theatre company will perform their production
      of Mort on 31st October & 1st November 2008 at the York Railway
      Institute, Queen Street, York (next door to York Railway Station).

      What with it being Hallowe'en, the York Rising Stars are encouraging
      the audience are encouraged to come along in fancy dress, and
      there's an extra incentive: anyone in costume will be automatically
      entered in a special door raffle to win a pair of tickets to the
      opening night of either the company's pantomime 'Matron Wibble
      Wobble' in February 2009, or a pair of tickets to the opening night
      of their next Pratchett production, Maskerade, in May 2009. There
      will also be a fundraising raffle at each performance, as well as
      refreshments available in the main hall, and in the bar downstairs.

      Tickets are £5 each, and can be obtained by email:
      charlotte@...

      ...or by ringing 01904 623222.

      For more information, visit www.yorkrisingstars.co.uk.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      18) DWCON 2008: ADDITIONAL CONVENTION REPORTS

      Emily Whitten, vice-chair of next year's NADWCON, wrote up her DWcon
      2008 experiences in her blog. Here are the links:

      Part 1:
      http://community.livejournal.com/nadwcon2009/15804.html#cutid1

      Part 2:
      http://community.livejournal.com/nadwcon2009/15997.html#cutid1

      Part 3:
      http://community.livejournal.com/nadwcon2009/16301.html#cutid1

      Part 4:
      http://community.livejournal.com/nadwcon2009/16602.html#cutid1

      ...and here is the link to Emily's set of DWcon pictures:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/charishawk/sets/72157607070359107/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      19) ASK HER ABOUT STAMPS

      Talented student illustrator Saoirse Towler went to visit the
      Cunning Artificer's shop in Wincanton and came away with a
      commission from the cunning Bernard Pearson himself -- to design
      some Discworld stamps!

      http://tinyurl.com/4t6fg3

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      20) ANIMATED FILM OF TRUCKERS FOR THE BIG SCREEN

      Danny Boyle, director of Trainspotting and 28 Days Later, has signed
      on to direct an animated film of Truckers, as reported in Digital
      Spy:

      http://tinyurl.com/5p5oy5

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      21) ONLINE REVIEW OF THE TURTLE MOVES

      Jeff Provine of Blogcritics:

      "Written in an approachable, chuckle-producing, almost blog-like
      manner (complete with parenthetical asides and winking footnotes),
      the book captures all one needs to get a grasp on the multitudinous
      novels in the Discworld series."

      http://blogcritics.org/archives/2008/09/18/063716.php

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      22) NADWCON UPDATES

      SEPTEMBER REPORT
      by Lee Whiteside, 2009 North American Discworld Convention Chair

      Memberships & Hotel Update First of all, the current full membership
      rate of $70 expires on September 30th and will increase to $80,
      which will be the price at least through March 31, 2009. If you
      haven't already bought a membership and are planning to go, it would
      behoove you to make that commitment! We're close to 350 memberships
      and we plan to do a full update of the online membership list early
      in October. We're seeing a good number of bookings for hotel rooms
      at the Tempe Mission Palms as well, which makes both our hotel
      salesperson and our hotel liaison very happy. Thanks to all of you
      who have bought your memberships and booked your hotel rooms so far.

      Convention Reports on Denvention 3 & Discworld Convention 2008 With
      the end of the summer came a lot of around-the-globe activity to
      make people aware of the North American Discworld Convention. We did
      some promotion at Westercon 61 in Las Vegas and San Diego Comic Con
      in July, but August was even busier. In early August, Anna and I
      attended Denvention 3, this year's WorldCon in Denver, where Anna
      debuted her shiny new NADWCon Postmistress outfit. We also held a
      room party the Thursday night of the convention that was a big
      success, thanks to a lot of help from various people. I've posted a
      report on the convention in the LiveJournal community at
      http://community.livejournal.com/nadwcon2009

      Later in August, Anna, Emily and I all traveled to the UK to attend
      the 2008 Discworld Convention in Birmingham. The convention was a
      lot of fun and well-organized. Chair Bruce Richardson, his wife
      Joann, and the rest of the committee and staff were very helpful and
      welcoming. We had a chance to talk with Terry and his assistant, Rob
      Wilkins, about our plans and also had the opportunity to talk to
      some of the other guests taking part about possible involvement with
      our convention.

      At the UK convention, we received a commitment from The Mob, the
      team behind Hogfather and The Colour of Magic, to have a presence at
      the NADWCon. We're pleased to report that you'll be treated to
      an exclusive screening of a preview clip from the next miniseries,
      Going Postal, filming early in 2009! In the dealer's room, we're
      now anticipating a presence by PJSM Prints, Discworld jeweler Barrie
      Wakeford, and one other UK notable, to be revealed shortly in this
      report.

      In other guest news, we have had inquiries about whether Stephen
      Briggs will be attending our convention. We have indeed invited him
      and he would like to be there; however, he does not yet know if it
      will fit it into his schedule (he does have a day job, you know).
      We're hoping that he will be able to join us, but it may be awhile
      before we know for certain. There are some other possibilities as
      well, but since they are still only possibilities, we can't say
      anything just yet.

      Costuming at NADWCon We were extremely impressed by the sheer number
      and quality of the costumes people wore throughout the UK
      convention, as well as the costumes seen in the Maskerade. We're
      definitely encouraging our attendees to do likewise and we've
      arranged for our local costuming group, The Southwest Costumer's
      Guild, to set up a costuming room at the convention to help you
      touch up your costume or maybe even improvise a hall costume on the
      spot. Plans are afoot to provide some costuming demonstrations and
      workshops during the weekend as well as support for those of you
      participating in the Maskerade. Remember, you can discuss your
      costumes-in-progress and much more on our website message board at:
      http://www.nadwcon.org

      Other NADWCon Notes In other areas of the convention, we're getting
      more of the committee and the staff sorted out and will be posting
      their information shortly. We're also close to having the dealer's
      room information nailed down and hope to get something out to those
      who have enquired about it soon.

      And now, we interrupt this report for a very special bulletin . . .

      ****** A Statement from the Ankh-Morpork Consulate of Olde Wincanton
      in the County of Somerset in England. ******

      In view of the ancient ties that bond our two great nations
      together, the Consulate have decided to open a branch in the United
      of States for the duration of the first North American Discworld
      Convention. There will of course be passports, stamps and special
      covers created in conjunction with those jolly nice folk from the
      said convention issued from the Consulate. To that effect it will be
      shipping Bernard, the Cunning Artificer, himself across mighty
      oceans, blazing deserts and various bars, pubs and hostelries.

      In order that he behaves himself whilst away he will be accompanied
      by granny Isobel as the resident grown-up. There will be fun, a nice
      cup of tea, a rendition of both the British and Ankh-Morpork anthems
      and there might be cricket.

      ****** Message Ends******

      In other words, Bernard Pearson, the Cunning Artificer, and his
      lovely wife, Isobel, are planning to join us at the convention! We
      enjoyed having the chance to chat with Bernard in the UK and know he
      will be a great addition to our program. Bernard and Isobel will
      have some unique items for you to purchase in our dealer's room,
      but in the meantime, you can browse his shop at:
      http://www.discworldemporium.com/

      Upcoming Convention Schedule

      The fall convention season is kicking into high gear with a lot of
      conventions all over North America in October and November. Emily
      will be at Capclave ( http://www.capclave.org ) in Rockville,
      Maryland Oct. 17-19, several committee members will be at TusCon
      ( http://home.earthlink.net/~basfa ) in Tucson, Arizona the weekend
      of Nov. 7-9, and we're planning a room party for Friday night at
      LosCon 35 ( http://www.loscon.org ) over Thanksgiving weekend (Nov.
      28-30) in Los Angeles. We may also be doing something at the Vegas
      Valley Book Festival ( http://www.artslasvegas.org/vvbf ) in Las
      Vegas where Neil Gaiman is making an appearance Nov 6-8. We'll be
      sending flyers to most every general science fiction and fantasy
      convention in North America, making use of the quite thorough list
      online at the Picofarad Social Calendar at
      http://bidalaka.com/picofarad/calendar.html

      If you are attending or involved with a convention and want to help
      make sure our flyers get seen, please let us know.