WOSSNAME -- AUGUST 2008 -- PART 2 OF 5

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2008
      WOSSNAME -- AUGUST 2008 -- PART 2 OF 5 (continued)

      ====Part 2 - MORE NEWS, UPDATES, AND STUFF

      12) NEW DISCWORLD COLLECTIBLES
      13) ALL THE DISC'S A STAGE: NEW PRODUCTIONS
      14) GREAT MOMENTS IN OPERA
      15) A DISCWORLD TIMELINE
      16) ROUNDWORLD'S HARRY KING
      17) DISC! IN! SPAAAACE!
      18) PTERRY'S ON THE MAP NOW...
      19) ...AND BEING USED AS A REFERENCE POINT
      20) NADWCON UPDATES
      21) AUSDWCON 2009
      22) MISTER TEATIME SPEAKS!
      23) LIFE ON MARS...FOR SWAMP DRAGONS? NASA THINKS SO
      24) GRANNY WEATHERWAX, SUPERCRONE
      25) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
      26) THE FANART OF KIT COX
      27) AROUND THE BU CAMPUS
      28) ABP ITEMS OF NOTE

      12) NEW DISCWORLD COLLECTIBLES: A-M BADGE, AND KEYRING ASSORTMENT

      Two new goodies are available from PJSM Prints: an Ankh-Morpork City
      special pin badge featuring "the now famous crest of the great twin
      cities of Ankh and Morpork itself", and a choice of Discworld
      character keyrings.

      The badge comes as a limited edition of 250, and is the only pin in
      the collection that comes with an insert card hand-signed by Terry
      Pratchett. At £39.99 it ate'nt cheap, but bear in mind that all the
      other pins in the series have sold out quickly!

      http://www.pjsmprints.com/pins/index.html

      There are four keyrings available, each based on a Paul Kidby
      official Discworld illustration: Greebo, Death, Great A'Tuin and the
      Discworld itself, and the iconic Feeglespotting group portrait. Each
      keyring is approximately two inches tall (or wide), and each costs
      £6.99.

      http://www.pjsmprints.com/keyrings/index.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      13) DISCWORLD STAGE NEWS

      REMINDER: NIGHT WATCH IN EALING

      Point 303 Theatre Company present a stage adaptation of Night Watch
      from 4-6 September 2008.

      WHERE: The Studio, Questors Theatre, Matlock Lane, Ealing, W5 5BQ
      WHEN: 4th-6th September 2008. 7.45pm nightly, with a Saturday
      matinee starting at 2.30pm.
      HOW MUCH: Tickets cost 10 GBP or 8.50 GBP for concessions.

      As the production is also dedicated to the memory of a member of
      Point 303 who died of cancer last year, 55% of the ticket sales will
      be donated to Macmillan Cancer Support.

      For more information, see http://www.questors.org.uk or call
      020-8567-0011

      MASKERADE IN GREENOCK

      Greenock Players, up in the land of the Roundworld Nac Mac Feegle,
      present their production of Maskerade.

      WHERE: Arts Guild Theatre in Greenock, Inverclyde (20 miles west
      of Glasgow)
      WHEN: 11-13th September 2008
      HOW MUCH: Tickets cost 7.50 GBP and can be purchased from the theatre

      For more information, ring 01475 723 038.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      14) GREAT MOMENTS IN OPERA

      Discworld fans sometimes go to great lengths to pay homage to their
      favourite fictional world. Dick Craswell, for one: he offers us the
      following:

      "Rare recording of Iodine's aria... the famous one from 'La
      Triviata', in which she tells Peccadillo how hard it is for her to
      leave him...It's an old recording, so it's a bit scratchy; and
      although it's presumably a soprano aria, for some reason it's
      performed here by an over-the-hill baritone. Anyhow, I've converted
      it to mp3 format and posted it (with Pterry's kind permission) for
      free download by anyone who's interested... Call it fan art, but of
      the musical persuasion."

      http://tinyurl.com/QuestaPorta

      [Nice one, Dick! Now is there any chance you could unearth a
      recording of Agnes singing that aria in Christine's voice? -- Ed.]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      15) A DISCWORLD TIMELINE

      It's exhaustive, it's convoluted, it's a bit dicey at times, but
      it's also good to know someone out there in the Pratchett fan
      community was willing to take the time and care to research the
      novels, diaries, yearbooks and whatnot:

      http://fairyprincess52.livejournal.com/5621.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      16) ROUNDWORLD'S HARRY KING? THE ZABBALEEN OF CAIRO

      "'Zabbaleen' means 'people of the rubbish' in Arabic. Hardly
      flattering, you might think, but these people are vital to the day-
      to-day running of the city. Before the 1980s there was no official
      waste collection service in the city; the Zabbaleen did all the
      work."

      "The proudly independent Zabbaleen community developed some kind of
      symbiotic relationship with the authorities: they collected the
      rubbish efficiently, cheaply and ingeniously, and the city
      legitimised their existence."

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/A23780270

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      17) DISC! IN! SPAAAACE!

      ...or at least that's to be hoped. Would-be Space Wizzards 'Team 8'
      aka Potent Voyager have joined a fascinating race:

      "Today Octday 8/8/8 we would like to announce that a group of
      Discworld fans plans to enter the N-Prize competition as a charity
      event with the majority of the prize going to the Alzheimer's
      Research Trust...

      "The N-Prize is a cash prize of £9,999.99 (nine thousand, nine
      hundred and ninety-nine pounds and ninety-nine pence, sterling),
      which will be awarded to the first person or group to put into
      orbit, around the Earth, a satellite with a mass of between 9.99 and
      19.99 grams, and to prove that it has completed at least 9 orbits.
      The cost of the launch (but not ground facilities) must fall within
      a budget of £999.99. Imaginative use of string and chewing gum is
      encouraged..."

      http://spacefellowship.com/News/?p=6313

      Here's the Potent Voyager website:

      http://tinyurl.com/55kud5

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      18) PTERRY'S ON THE MAP NOW...

      "And for those searching for something more unusual at Wincanton
      there is the only place dedicated to Terry Pratchett's fantasy
      DISCWORLD while at Montacute the TV and Radio Toy Museum is home to
      a full size Dr Who Dalek and Tardis, which are on display amongst
      other nostalgic memorabilia from programmes over the years."

      http://www.easier.com/view/Travel/Holidays/article-193386.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      19) ...AND BEING USED AS A REFERENCE POINT...

      "Last year, Tesco sold £107.2 million of books. We may think of it
      as a grocer, but in reality it's a behemoth, carrying the nation on
      its vast back like the turtles in Terry Pratchett's Discworld."

      http://tinyurl.com/64jg3u

      [Mostly the article is about books, but nothing wrong with that! --
      Ed.]

      "Lord Vetinari, the ruler of Ankh-Morpork in most of Terry
      Pratchett's Discworld novels, sums it up brilliantly. When told, in
      The Fifth Elephant, that certain citizens disapprove of condoms
      because they're "unnatural", Vetinari replies, incredulously, 'You
      mean you eat your food raw and sleep in a tree?'"

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?17t8

      [Warning: this article is not for the hard of thinking. But then, if
      you were hard of thinking, you wouldn't be reading Discworld
      books...right? -- Ed.]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      20) NADWCON UPDATES

      As we get ready to head over to the UK for the 2008 Discworld
      Convention, here's a quick update for you before I get on a plane
      tomorrow morning...

      We had a good time at Denvention 3 and promoted the convention via
      the shared fan table with FiestaCon (WesterCon 62) and held a North
      American Discworld Convention party on Thursday night that saw a lot
      of fans partake in unique Discworld foods. More on those activities
      and some pictures soon. As part of the party, we did a prize drawing
      raffle and ended up raising $130 for Alzheimer's Research.

      For the prize drawing we did online, Ita Vandenbroek was the winner
      and she was able to get her copy of *Nation* in person at WorldCon.
      Congrats Ita! She was very excited to have won. Be on the lookout
      for another online giveaway with some more books from HarperCollins,
      some copies of Lawrence Watt-Evans' *The Turtle Moves* courtesy of
      BenBella Books, and maybe something or two brought back from the
      UK...

      We've gotten caught up with the incoming memberships and now have an
      updated membership list on the website at <www.nadwcon.org>. This
      should include all mailed in memberships, those taken at conventions
      and those sent in via Paypal up through August 10th. Those who asked
      not to be listed online should not be on there. If there are any
      errors or corrections, please let us know (although we will have
      limited access to email for the next week or so).

      Anna, Emily, and I will all be at the UK Discworld Convention this
      weekend and we plan to meet with Terry and others about the North
      American Discworld Convention and should have some news and
      information to impart after we return.

      Lee Whiteside
      2009 North American Discworld Convention Chair

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      21) AUSDWCON 2009: GET YER STUBBIES READY!

      The second Australian Discworld Convention will be held from
      February 27th to March 1st 2009 at Storey Hall, RMIT in Melbourne,
      Victoria. We have just opened for memberships and already have over
      50 members signed up. This convention promises to be just as
      exciting as the last, with a variety of performances, discussion
      panels, competitions and special events on offer. And for the first
      time, attendees will be able to join Unions during the convention,
      giving them the chance to compete with fellow Discworld fans in
      various events. Your participation may be all that separates the
      Beer Brewers, the Road Warriors, Sheep Shearers or another union
      from victory!

      If you'd like more information, visit our website at
      www.ausdwcon.org. If you have any ideas, feel free to join our
      forums and join in the discussion!

      -- Nathan, member of the organising committee for the Australian
      Discworld Convention

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      22) MISTER TEATIME SPEAKS!

      "There was the Byronic vampire in Granada's Dracula, the shady
      government fixer in Burn Up and the unsettling assassin in Terry
      Pratchett's Hogfather. His approach to the latter role, in which he
      assumed a curious falsetto, was described by his producer as
      'unbelievably brave'. 'That's one way of looking at it,' Warren
      smiles. 'The other way is that I'd just been to see Johnny Depp in
      Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.' Still, he could have played it
      much safer. 'Well, the only time I feel fearless is at work.'"

      from The Times Online:

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?15jl

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      23) LIFE ON MARS...FOR SWAMP DRAGONS? NASA THINKS SO

      "...there could possibly be Martian animals with perchlorate-fuelled
      metabolisms, living off perchlorate-concentrating plants. Though
      there would be a significant risk of these creatures catching fire
      or exploding if upset..."

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?147i

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      24) GRANNY WEATHERWAX, SUPERCRONE

      Reader Kestrel writes: "God Of The Month Club", a yahoo group, ran a
      poll asking "who is your favorite crone?" And who should win (who
      else) but Granny Weatherwax! Results were: Granny Weatherwax,
      22.22%; Lilith, 16.67%; Hecate, 13.89%; Baba Yaga, 11.11%; Elphaba
      from Wicked, tied with Kali at 8.33%; and Mrs Robinson(!), 5.56%

      "No pictures, please!" Two young Librarians ape it up for the camera
      - mine, in this case - at Melbourne Zoo's excellent and enormous new
      orangutan habitat:

      http://tinyurl.com/6c2hsd

      ***

      The final frontier? Potent Voyager's astro-patch (see item 17 in
      this issue):

      http://tinyurl.com/58clbl

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      26) THE FANART OF KIT COX

      Some of Kit's Discworld character portraits are well worth a look!

      Nobby Nobbs:
      http://wiki.lspace.org/uploads/0/00/Nobbymine.jpg

      Lady Sybil:
      http://wiki.lspace.org/uploads/9/9d/Sybilmine.jpg

      Captain Swing:
      http://wiki.lspace.org/uploads/b/b3/Findtheemine.jpg

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      27) AROUND THE BU CAMPUS

      1. ON-TOPIC, DANGERS OF

      New Bruce sent in an item about a Roundworld bard in Roundworld
      Llamedos:

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?147j

      ...and claimed to be stretching it a bit to be on-topic.

      SteVen replied:
      That's so much of a stretch you could try out for a position in the
      Fantastic Four, as a replacement for Reed Richards :)

      Jase observed:
      Not stretching that far, it does have the word Pratchett in it.
      Unless you mean that being on topic for BU means actually being off
      topic, so a post which mentions Pratchett is in fact off topic and
      would therefore have to stretch to get on topic....erm...

      2. ...AND AN ON-TOPIC PUNE...

      Mrs Peculiar:
      Q: What dreadful illness do you get from drinking far, far too much
      reannual wine?

      A: Delorean tremens.

      New Bruce:
      You could probably treat that with a reflux capacitor :)

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      28) ABP ITEMS OF NOTE

      1. SPECULATION CAN OFTEN BE...MISLEADING

      Here's what I've picked up from interviews, preview sites and so on:
      Nation: Set in our world's Victorian era, or something like it. A
      "properly brought up" young lady and a native boy are stranded on a
      desert island, and forge their own country (after an amusing culture
      clash).

      -- Daibhid

      You meant a bit like Robinson Crusoe and Man Friday - (she's bound
      to make the poor thing her servant - I can't really see them
      getting on together any other way!).

      -- Sofie

      I would imagine there could be an element of The Admirable Cryten
      [sic] in there as well. If only because it's bound to have *some*
      identifiable/ assumable element from it, among with Crusoe, Swiss
      Family Robinson, Gulliver's Travels, possibly even a bit of Mutiny
      On The Bountynessnessness. ;)

      -- Len

      [Someone's in for a surprise in a few weeks -- Ed.]

      2. HOW TO BE...INTERESTING?

      "Jeremy *tried* to be an interesting person. The trouble was that
      he was the kind of person who, having decided to be an interesting
      person, would first try and find a book called _How to be an
      Interesting Person_ and then see whether there were courses
      available."

      Ok, so I got bored and I wondered if there was such a book [1]. The
      closest I found was called _How to Be More Interesting_ by no other
      than Edward De Bono (best known for _How to Win Friends & Influence
      People_)

      -- Nigel.

      [1] No, I wasn't thinking of buying it, honest. I'm much too
      interesting for that. Why, I post all sorts of interesting DW
      Annotations!

      3. AN OPERA LOVER IS IMPRESSED

      Further to item 14 (in Part 1), here is a review of that famous
      aria:

      BRAVO! (stamps feet on floor, and throws roses)

      Thank you for letting us hear this rare recording. Of course the
      quality of the media doesn't do justice to Basilica's astounding
      tessitura, reminiscent in some respects of the late great Thomas
      Burns, but the essential bravura is still very evident.

      Is it my imagination, or can we discern Basilica's characteristic
      breath-pauses, as he takes surruptitious bites from a meat pie
      concealed in his doublet? Perhaps.

      And again, how splendid it is to hear this aria in its traditional
      form, without the needless embellishments added by later stage
      directors, such as Schlingensief and of course Johnson. Not a trace
      of banjos or wind machines.

      Five stars. Highly recommended.

      There are rumours of a lost recording of the entire Ring of the
      Niebelungingung, with Slugg playing Siegmund, Siegfried, and by a
      slight misunderstanding, Brunnhilde. Please let us know if you find
      it.

      -- Doug Urquhart