WOSSNAME -- JULY 2008 -- PART 3 OF 6

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2008
      WOSSNAME -- JULY 2008 -- PART 3 OF 6 (continued)

      ====Part 3 - ...AND MORE...

      13) PTERRY AT A GLANCE: A SHORT BIOGRAPHY
      14) BADGE IT FOR PRATCHETT
      15) DISCWORLD MUD
      16) PUBLISHING NEWS AROUND ROUNDWORLD
      17) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS AND UPDATES
      18) DISCWORLD FAN-MEET NEWS
      19) ROUNDWORLD HOROSCOPES GET WITH THE PROGRAMME
      20) PRATCHETT TALKS ABOUT FAITH
      21) RED DWARF CREATOR RECOMMENDS PTERRY'S BOOKS
      22) AGE BANDING - AN ACTUAL PTERRY QUOTE
      23) THE ROUNDWORLD L-SPACE: PRATCHETT RECOMMENDED
      24) AZIRAPHALE AND CROWLEY'S NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS

      13) PTERRY AT A GLANCE: A SHORT BIOGRAPHY

      "I didn't go to university. Didn't even finish A-levels. But I have
      sympathy for those who did."

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/jun/12/terrypratchett

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      14) BADGE IT FOR PRATCHETT

      Blogger and Pratchett fan Grikmeer organised a special charity
      auction for Alzheimer's research. He wrote:

      To All Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman and Tanith Lee Fans For my part
      I have organised something of my own. My colleague and I have made 5
      unique badges, signed and marked with the very kind assistance of Mr
      Neil Gaiman and Ms Tanith Lee. These are being auctioned on Ebay
      later this week. Even if this is not something you would be likely
      to bid on, please pass this website on to whatever forums you
      frequent, let as many people know as you possibly can. The more
      people who know about this, the more chance we have to make a lot of
      money for Alzheimer's Research!

      Badge It For Pratchett! http://www.freewebs.com/grikmeer-match-it/

      For the record, despite not many people knowing about this, the
      total raised was £155.41 (roughly £30 a badge). Every contribution
      helps!

      This is what the badges look like:

      http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/22/1373408/Collated%20Badges.png

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      15) DISCWORLD MUD: ALL THE SIGHTS AND, UM, SMELLS OF OLDE A-M

      Fritz Coyote writes:

      I enjoyed the recent Visit to Scenic AM. It is a lovely place
      indeed. If other readers desire to visit the Discworld, one method
      is by means of the Discworld MUD.(1) To get started, point one's
      Interweb Device to http://discworld.atuin.net

      Don't be put off by the initial area 'pumpkintown', as it is merely
      an orientation and training facility. In very little time you can be
      enjoying the sites and smells(2) of the Disc's greatest city, or
      Freezing your bits off in a Lancre Winter, or Roasting said bits off
      in Djelibeybi. And it is absolutely free to play, all volunteer
      supported, and 'officially ignored' by Pterry as not-for-profit fan
      activity.

      Look for me there under the name Coyote, I'll happily buy you a beer
      at the Drum.

      (1) MUD "Multi User Dungeon" old fashioned text-based shared game
      environment. Unlike modern shared worlds like World of Warcraft the
      graphics all come from your imagination. This tends to attract a
      more literate and diverse crowd, and nearly all of them Discworld
      fans.

      (2) I am not sure if anyone can 'enjoy' the smells of Ankh-Morpork.
      More like 'survive' them.

      Fritz T. Coyote

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      16) PUBLISHING NEWS AROUND ROUNDWORLD

      The march of Discworld in Forn continues:

      Talpress (Czech Republic) will be publishing the Discworld Almanack.
      Proszynski (Poland) will publish Going Postal.

      Terry Pratchett's Dutch publishers, De Boekerij, are re-launching
      his back list with trade paperback editions of the first fifteen
      Discworld novels, from The Colour of Magic to Men at Arms.

      The Chinese publishers Science Fiction World Magazine, who published
      the first four Discworld novels in 2007, are now taking licenses on
      the second four: Wyrd Sisters, Pyramids, Guards! Guards! and Eric
      (the unillustrated version).

      Verlagsgruppe Random House have acquired the German audio licences
      for Thud! and Making Money.

      Thorpe/Charnwood have just published Making Money in large print
      (ISBN 978-1-84782-277-2).

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      17) ALL THE DISC'S A PLAY: THEATRE NEWS

      MOVING PICTURES IN THATCHAM

      A reminder: KATS present a World Premiere of Terry Pratchett's
      Moving Pictures, from 31st July to 2 August 2008 at Kennet School,
      Thatcham. Tickets cost 8 GBP. For more details, see:
      http://www.kats.org.uk

      * * *
      * * *

      MORT IN KALGOORLIE

      Kalgoorlie is a famous -- some might say infamous -- mining town in
      the dry outback of Australia, known as the site of the world's
      largest open-cast mine, dry and red-earthed as the surface of Mars
      and more renowned for Saturday night barfights than theatre culture.
      And yet the works of Pterry have penetrated even to this remote
      outpost!

      "There are lots of Terry Pratchett fans in Kalgoorlie-Boulder –
      his books are always out from the library – and I hope they can
      all come along and see the show."

      Mort will be performed at the Brookman Street Theatre on July 24,
      25, 26 and 31 and August 1,2, 7, 8 and 9. Tickets are available now
      from the Goldfields Arts Centre box office on 9088 6900.

      Preview in the Golden Mail online:
      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?10nv

      * * *
      * * *

      NIGHT WATCH IN EALING

      Point 303 Theatre Company presents Terry Pratchett's "Night Watch"
      Adapted by Stephen Briggs.

      A fundraising event for Macmillan Cancer Support. 55% of ticket
      sales and 100% of all other proceeds will be donated to Macmillan
      Cancer Support in memory of a former member of the Point 303
      company.

      Dates: 4th - 6th September 2008
      Times: Evenings 7.45pm, Matinee Sat 6th September at, 2.30pm
      Venue: The Questors Theatre, Ealing W5 5BQ.
      Tickets: £10 (£8.50 concessions including Questors members)
      Directions: The theatre is an eight-minute walk from Ealing Broadway
      Station, which is on the Central and District Lines and also served
      by National Railways.

      To book online, please visit http://www.questors.org.uk or call 020
      8567 0011 (advanced booking, during office hours) or 020 8567 5184
      on days of performance.

      * * *
      * * *

      VOX POPULI: AN ORDINARY BLOGGER'S PRAISE OF A PRATCHETT PLAY

      Scarlet is a self-educated young woman struggling through personal
      difficulties. I think Pterry would approve!

      "After returning home, sleeping, and many hours later, I was headed
      into the city with my English Studies class to see Unseen Theatre
      Company's production of Terry Pratchett's 'Carpe Jugulum'. Needless
      to say, it was an absolutely..."

      http://scarlet-youth.livejournal.com/12076.html

      * * *
      * * *

      REVIEW OF MEN AT ARMS IN PORTSMOUTH

      Men at Arms
      this is hampshire.net - Winchester,England,UK

      "From the outset the audience was immersed in Pratchett's
      fantastical Discworld under Chris Blatch-Gainey's expert
      direction..." http://tinyurl.com/57nsqh

      * * *
      * * *

      THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE...UM: REVIEWS OF 'CARPE JUGULUM' IN
      ADELAIDE

      Just to prove that some people don't get Discworld, WOSSNAME
      recently printed a review by someone who Didn't Get It. Here are
      three reviews of Unseen Theatre's production of Carpe Jugulum; one
      of the reviewers is among those who Just Don't Get It. See for
      yourself...

      Australian Stage Online
      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?zdr

      The Independent Weekly
      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?zv8

      Adelaide Now
      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?10nu

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      18) UPCOMING MEETS: THE BROKEN DRUMMERS

      When: Mondays, 11th August, 8th September, 13th October & 10th
      November 2008 at 7:00 PM
      where: The Monkey Puzzle, 30 Southwick Street,London, W2 1JQ
      Phone 0207 723 0143

      http://www.brokendrummers.co.uk/

      * * *
      * * *

      SEPTEMBERMEET AT THE PEMBURY TAVERN, LONDON

      Tony Evershed writes:

      I'm resuming my pattern of organising a September Meet in London at
      a time close to my birthday - though I should stress that it is
      *not* a birthday party - after a break last year (moving house, blah
      blah blah.) I'm intending to host another Not-A-Birthday-Party meet
      at the Pembury Tavern (Hackney/E8) in London, starting at around
      18:00 on Saturday 20 September. The Pembury Tavern's website is
      here:
      http://www.individualpubs.co.uk/pembury/

      - they do food, and (as I'm sure most of you will already know) are
      quite definitely geek-friendly (though those intending to bring
      children should note their comments at:
      http://www.individualpubs.co.uk/pembury/info.html

      They have, in particular, an excellent directions page:
      http://www.individualpubs.co.uk/pembury/where.html

      While this meet is now definitely going ahead, expressions of
      interest would be very welcome so I can let the pub know just what
      they're in for (and indeed let /myself/ know!) If there are any FAQs
      that get A'd I shall try to follow them up en masse.

      Source: alt.books.pratchett

      * * *
      * * *

      MELMEET REPORT FROM OZDW

      By Mogg

      MelMeet Umptygazillion - The Return of MelMeet!

      Jehane, our peripatetic Weather Goddess, prompted the first official
      Melmeet in quite some time by writing in to OZDW to say she would be
      in town during July for a table tennis competition. Several of The
      Usual Suspects, including Annie, SteVen, Bek, a non-listmember
      friend of Bek's, Libwolf and your humble correspondent, decided that
      it had indeed been an extremely long time since the last formal get-
      together (these days we generally get together in an informal,
      friendship kind of fashion which doesn't require reporting to the
      world at large), and so a MelMeet was born. And met. Nyah nyah to
      the SydMeet gang, who haven't managed one in years!

      A venue, day and time were arranged. I, in a most unusual turn of
      events, showed up an hour early, which was in time to ring Annie and
      say "where are you? There's nobody here!" This had the advantage of
      allowing plenty of time for me to drive to the train station to
      collect her and save her a walk in the rain, and a kind of pre-meet
      meet of Annie, Jehane and myself formed for a while at Steven's
      work. The appointed hour approached, and we three made our way down
      the road to the restaurant, with Steven faithfully but inaccurately
      promising to follow us in six minutes precisely. We arrived, found
      our nice reserved table and Libwolf, and sat and waited for the
      others. We made use of the well-known handy method for making
      someone who is running late for a restaurant dinner magically appear
      (order pre-dinner nibbles), and soon we were all assembled. Libwolf
      presented Annie with a book loaned from Captain Hector, which was a
      bit of a surprise as Annie didn't know anything about it and Libwolf
      had had the book for several months without telling her. We all
      thought that was kind of cool.

      This particular restaurant is well-known to several of us as an
      excellent place for tasty, good value meals, so there was a bit of
      umming and ahhing about whether to order our standard favourites or
      go with one of the specials. Libwolf ordered pizza, which none of us
      had ever tried at this place. Jehane took some photos, with Annie
      invisible as usual on account of her being a vampire. Hopefully she
      will remember to put them up on the ozdw page soon. Topics of
      conversation included: funny and/or embarrassing names, rain (it
      was very lovely of Jehane to bring some with her for us down in
      parched Melbourne), table tennis, and why the Chinese are so very
      good at it, helpdesking, Doctor Horrible's Singalong Blog (and if
      you haven't seen this latest bit of Joss Whedon wonderfulness, open
      your browser immediately and track it down!), and something on-topic
      which we forgot to announce an on-topic warning for but which I
      can't remember right now. It may have had something to do with
      Small Gods, but maybe not. There was also an analysis of previous
      MelMeets that went horribly wrong, and other stuff.

      We had an enjoyable evening, and eventually dispersed after
      spending the longest time ever in one place for a MelMeet. As a
      postscript, Libwolf messaged Annie to say that the pizza was not
      much good. Other than that, it was really a good night.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      19) ROUNDWORLD HOROSCOPES GET WITH THE PROGRAMME

      VIRGO [August 23–September 22] In Terry Pratchett's book Wyrd
      Sisters, he talks about how the sun conspires with the forest to
      pump millions of gallons of sap hundreds of feet from the ground up
      into the sky. And it all happens "in one great systolic thump too
      big and loud to be heard." That's the kind of activity I recommend
      for you in the coming weeks, Virgo: Collaborating with the source of
      all life to pull off a huge movement of lifeblood that brings
      sustenance from below to above.

      http://tinyurl.com/6depuz

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      20) PRATCHETT TALKS ABOUT FAITH

      This was featured in last month's WOSSNAME, but our News Editor
      forgot and sent it in under the above title, and I couldn't resist
      another mention owing to the wonderful headline!

      http://tinyurl.com.au/x.php?wk0

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      21) RED DWARF CREATOR RECOMMENDS PTERRY'S BOOKS

      Rob Grant's top 10 comic science fiction novels: "There are dozens
      of books in the Discworld series. Technically, they're science
      fantasy, involving dragons and other mythical creatures..."

      http://tinyurl.com/5df2fo

      ...and so does Neal Asher: "I enjoyed his neglected SF books, like
      Dark Side of the Sun, and every single one of his Discworld books.
      Foremost of these has to be Witches Abroad..."

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2003/sep/01/top10s.fantasy

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      22) AGE BANDING - AN ACTUAL PTERRY QUOTE

      The Vancouver Sun reports about age-banding books (again) but
      actually quotes Pratchett; usually we've just seen his name in a
      list of signatories to a petition:

      "Some British children's writers have taken the issue to an almost
      metaphysical level. 'The space between the young reader's eyeballs
      and the printed page is a holy place and officialdom should trample
      all over it at their peril,' declares Terry Pratchett."

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?11oi

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      23) THE ROUNDWORLD L-SPACE: PRATCHETT RECOMMENDED BY A YOUTH LIBRARIAN

      "Teenagers actually doing assigned reading during school's summer
      break. Parents, try to suppress your side-splitting laughter."

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?11oe

      24) AZIRAPHALE AND CROWLEY'S NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS

      For the "low-hanging fruit" reference... Hat. Hat. Hat.

      "Resolution #10: On the orders of Head Office I will encourage the
      belief in Intelligent Design – despite the fact that the human
      airway crosses the digestive tract. Who thought that was
      intelligent?"

      http://tinyurl.com.au/x.php?wk1

      If you did not get all six parts, write: interact@...