WOSSNAME -- JULY 2008 -- PART 1 OF 6

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2008
      JULY 2008 (Volume 11, Issue 7)
      WOSSNAME is a FREE publication for members of the worldwide
      Editor Emeritus (retd): Joseph Schaumburger
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      Emergency Staff: Jason Parlevliet, Nathan Clissold, Dylan Williams
      World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano

      ====Part 1 -- ALL THE NEWS THAT FITS

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH
      2) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      3) DOCTOR...WHO?
      4) THE 'GOD MOMENT', CONTINUED
      5) RELEASE DATES: A REMINDER
      6) PTERRY'S FORTHCOMING LIVE APPEARANCES
      7) REVIEW OF NATION

      ====Part 2 -- CONVENTIONS AND OTHER PTERRY SIGHTINGS

      8) DWCON UPDATES
      9) NADWCON UPDATES
      10) WADFEST 2008
      11) PTERRY AT THE SCREENWRITERS' FESTIVAL: A REPORT
      12) INTERVIEW IN SFX MAGAZINE

      ====Part 3 -- ...AND MORE...

      13) PTERRY AT A GLANCE: A SHORT BIOGRAPHY
      14) BADGE IT FOR PRATCHETT
      15) DISCWORLD MUD
      16) PUBLISHING NEWS AROUND ROUNDWORLD
      17) DISCWORLD PLAYS: NEWS AND UPDATES
      18) DISCWORLD FAN-MEET NEWS
      19) ROUNDWORLD HOROSCOPES GET WITH THE PROGRAMME
      20) PRATCHETT TALKS ABOUT FAITH
      21) RED DWARF CREATOR RECOMMENDS PTERRY'S BOOKS
      22) AGE BANDING - AN ACTUAL PTERRY QUOTE
      23) THE ROUNDWORLD L-SPACE: PRATCHETT RECOMMENDED
      24) AZIRAPHALE AND CROWLEY'S NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS

      ====Part 4 -- DISCUSSION GROUPS, AND WEIRD ALICE

      25) ABP BITS OF INTEREST
      26) BUGARUP UNIVERSITY CAMPUS NEWSROUND
      27) THE CLACKS LOG OF WEIRD ALICE LANCREVIC

      ====Part 5 -- ALICE AND FERNANDO

      28) WEIRD ALICE, CONTINUED
      29) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE MAR -> SEP

      ====Part 6 -- HOROSCOPE, CONTINUED, AND CLOSE

      30) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE SEP -> MAR

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH

      The Patrician nodded. 'I shall deal with the matter momentarily,' he
      said. It was a good word. it always made people hesitate. They were
      never quite sure whether he meant he'd deal with it now, or just
      deal with it briefly. And no-one ever dared ask.

      -- Guards! Guards!

      It's clobberin' -- I mean, convention time! Only a few weeks now
      until DWCon 2008, which looks to be a stupendous event full of
      razzle, dazzle, sizzle, sausage and, oh yes, some feller in a hat.
      It's also only a matter of weeks until the publication of Pterry's
      new novel Nation, and -- as it says in the review below -- I think
      this is one of the most important and wonderful books ever in the
      history of publishing. It's also, as it happens, FANTASTIC, so get
      your pre-orders in soonest!

      There is so much content in this month's issue that I won't take up
      much space editorialising. Thanks yet again to our News Editor,
      Fiona Not Bruce Bruce, and the other interpid newsgatherers for
      their contributions, and as always, to Pterry (that's *Doctor*
      Pterry to you) for his even more vital contributions, without which
      none of us would be here reading this issue. Enjoy!

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      3) DOCTOR...WHO?

      On 9th September 2008, the Buckinghamshire New University will be
      giving Terry Pratchett an honorary doctorate. The University has its
      headquarters in the hilly town of High Wycombe, Bucks; Mr Pratchett
      first worked at the Bucks Free Press, also based in High Wycombe,
      when he left school in 1965. Now he gets to put even more letters
      after his name. Congratulations, Doctor Pterry!

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      4) PTERRY AND THE 'GOD MOMENT', CONTINUED

      In a fascinating follow-up to last month's hoopla about the
      misinterpretations of Terry Pratchett's "God moment", Guardian
      journalist Andrew Brown has observed that Pterry may have a better
      appreciation of the moral principles of religion than many religious
      professionals do:

      "Sometimes it takes an atheist with Alzheimer's disease to show the
      Church of England what it ought to be..."

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?w78

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      5) RELEASE DATES: A REMINDER

      The graphic novels of The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic
      were released by HarperCollins as a hardback collection in the USA
      last month (June 2008). This is a high-quality reprint of the
      adaptations originally published in the early 1990s. NOTE: the UK
      edition will be released next month (5th August 2008).

      The Turtle Moves!: Discworld's Story So Far (Lawrence Watt-Evans,
      published by Benbella books), another unofficial guide to the
      Discworld novels, will be available next month (1st August 2008).
      Highly recommended by those in the know!

      Terry Pratchett's Discworld Collection (Wyrd Sisters and Soul
      Music), a deluxe re-release by Acorn Media of the animated Cosgrove-
      Hall adaptations, will be available next month (26th August). Well
      worthwhile, as the originals have been out of print for some time
      now.

      The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld (Terry Pratchett and Stephen Briggs)
      will be available in trade paperback format on 7th October [in case
      any readers don't know what a trade paperback is, it's the larger
      and often glossier-looking paperback format -- Ed.].

      The Folklore of Discworld (Terry Pratchett and Jacqueline Simpson)
      will be released in hardcover in the UK on 11th September. This one
      looks fascinating! Sadly, no date is yet announced for the USA
      release. Watch this space...

      The Colour of Magic (telefilm) DVD will be released in October (no
      confirmed date set yet). As for USA broadcast of tCoM, be patient --
      it *is* coming. ION TV network, which aired Hogfather, lists tCoM as
      part of the RHI Movie Weekend, but no-one knows the details...yet.
      Stay tuned...

      Remember, signed copies of various UK Discworld books can be ordered
      from PJSM Prints: http://www.pjsmprints.com

      And now for the most important news:

      RELEASE DATES FOR 'NATION'

      UK (Doubleday) -- 11th September.
      USA (HarperCollins, hardback and audiobook) -- 30th September.
      Australia (Random House) -- 8th October.

      If you only can buy one Pratchett book this year, make it Nation.
      Seriously.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      6) PTERRY'S FORTHCOMING LIVE APPEARANCES

      Remember, Terry Pratchett will be appearing at the Edinburgh
      International Book Festival on 16th August 2008, in the Main
      Theatre. Admission costsnine pounds (GBP 9). For information: 0131
      228 5444

      http://tinyurl.com/598gt9

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      7) NATION: A REVIEW

      Teach Your Children Well: NATION, or a Young Person's guide to
      critical thinking

      A review by Annie Mac

      "nation /nay-shun/ n. 1. community of people of mainly common
      descent, history, language, etc. 2. community of peoples forming a
      sovereign State or inhabiting a territory and unified by a national
      language and government." -- The Australian Pocket Oxford
      Dictionary, sixth edition (2007)

      To this we can now add a third definition: "3. ragtag collection of
      people from completely different descent, history, language, etc.
      inhabiting a territory as small as a tiny island and as large as the
      whole world." For Terry Pratchett, in his new novel Nation, has
      certainly given us a work that is definitive.

      Nation is a book for young readers aged 3 to, let's see, 120. It
      lambastes the tyranny of traditional religion at the same time as it
      acknowledges that almost all people have a deep need for some sort
      of spiritual beliefs. It punctures the balloons of effete Western
      middle-class social conventions and Pacific Islands social
      primitivism with equal balloon-puncturing panache. It has heart,
      soul, guts, blood, drama, alcohol, poison, violence, love, magic,
      science and uncommon common sense. It has a heroine called Daphne, a
      hero called Mau, a foul-mouthed parrot, and a total absence of alien
      crystal skulls...or possibly not. It asks hard questions and gives
      complex, non-judgemental answers. Oh, and there might just be
      pirates in it...

      As always, I give no spoilers in a pre-publication review, but this
      much is already publicly known about Nation: it is the story of Mau,
      a boy whose world is literally swept away by a natural disaster on
      the eve of his traditional passage to manhood, and who thinks
      himself utterly alone until he finds a young girl so alien in her
      appearance and ways that at first he believes her to be a ghost. Mau
      and Daphne must first learn how to communicate and then to work
      together to survive and build a new Nation from the wreckage of
      their former ones. This makes for an exciting, blood-rousing story
      in the tradition of Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island and
      Kidnapped, told with the lyrical matter-of-factness that Pratchett
      does so wonderfully well. Stevenson's famous works have been beloved
      for well over a century now, and I predict that Nation will remain
      in the reading public's hearts and minds for at least as long.

      In Wintersmith, Terry Pratchett used the device of listing the
      physical things that 'make a man' in order to show how the elemental
      personification of Winter would always be less than a man. In
      Nation, he gives us the emotional recipe for what makes a human
      being -- that vital balance of reason and unreason that is our
      species' badge of uniqueness -- and with it shows how even lost,
      lonely people battered by unthinkable disaster will never be
      anything but completely human.

      Nation is about belief: belief in yourself, belief in the evidence
      of your senses, belief in the scientific method, belief in gods,
      belief in the 'proper' order of things, belief in your inner voices
      -- the voices of magical thinking and superstition, the voices of
      race memory, the voices of pure emotion and spiritual yearning --
      and about learning which beliefs best suit a given situation. In the
      story of Nation, these various beliefs are often at odds; the way
      our protagonists come to terms with this makes for a beautiful,
      exciting and sometimes heartbreaking tale, as old beliefs are forced
      aside and new ones come into being.

      As to what I believe... I believe that Nation is one of the most
      important books ever written, not just for readers in that
      contentious Young Adult bracket but for readers of any and every
      age. Much as I love the Discworld series, I place Terry Pratchett's
      Johnny Maxwell books among my very favourite novels, and Nation has
      done what I thought was impossible -- taken a place in the top
      echelon of my Most Cherished Novels list. When I read Nation, I was
      so moved by it that it made me physically ill. What higher
      recommendation could I possibly give? But fear not; for all its
      power and depth, Nation is also a delicious book, full of unexpected
      hilarity and "daww!" moments. I would have loved to have been a very
      young child when this book was written, just for the pleasure and
      thrill of having it read to me at bedtime by my grandmother.

      A little teaser: on the very last page, near the end of the short
      epilogue, Mr Pratchett sums up all of human nature in one brief,
      telling sentence that made me cry buckets.

      Buy this book. And keep it for your children and grandchildren. They
      will thank you forever, as I thank Terry Pratchett for it. I hope he
      continues to write for many years, but if he were never to publish
      another novel, he has brightened the world beyond measure with
      Nation.

      If you did not get all six parts, write: interact@...