WOSSNAME - JUNE 2008 - PART 2 OF 4

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2008
      WOSSNAME -- JUNE 2008 -- PART 2 OF 4 (continued)

      ====Part 2 - MORE NEWS AND THE SUCH

      11) DVD RE-RELEASE OF WYRD SISTERS AND SOUL MUSIC
      12) ONLINE REVIEW OF MAKING MONEY (CONTAINS SPOILERS)
      13) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
      14) DWCON NEWS
      15) KAREN DAVID INTERVIEW
      16) DISCWORLD PLAYS: REMINDER -- CARPE JUGULUM IN ADELAIDE
      17) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS: FORTHCOMING PRODUCTIONS
      18) THE (DISCWORLD) DOMINO EFFECT: RETURN OF BLAKES 7
      19) REVIEW: 'THE TRUTH' AT BRISBANE ARTS THEATRE
      20) DISCWORLD T-SHIRTS...ISH
      21) RHIANNA PRATCHETT INTERVIEW
      22) THE BROKEN DRUMMERS: COME ONE, COME ALL, COME OOK!

      11) DVD RE-RELEASE OF WYRD SISTERS AND SOUL MUSIC

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?tsd

      Oddly enough, Acorn Media have used a Paul Kidby illustration for the
      cover art, rather than one of the animated Cosgrove Hall artwork:

      http://tinyurl.com/645ekr

      From the article:

      "Both were released on DVD in 2001 in the USA by Acorn Media, but are
      currently out of print. So now we're here to let interested Hogfather
      fans know that Acorn is bringing them back, and not separately
      either. On August 26th they will release the 2-disc set Terry
      Pratchett's Discworld Collection, with both Wyrd Sisters and Soul
      Music included. Besides those features, running 322 minutes, there
      will also be some extras: storyboards, an interview with Terry
      Pratchett, a Pratchett bio, character bios, and more! All of this
      will go for $39.99 SRP."

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      12) ONLINE REVIEW OF MAKING MONEY IN BLOGCRITICS MAGAZINE
      (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

      "You can't go wrong with any of the Discworld novels. But, like his
      characters, Pratchett is well rounded. He'll make you laugh and
      think, possibly even tear up before a book ends. (Usually with
      laughter) Pratchett uses his humor to comment on the world today and
      the relevant issues we face. But he's never preachy about it and he
      doesn't let it get in the way of a good story."

      http://blogcritics.org/archives/2008/06/17/142408.php

      Ook! (sent by reader George Duffield):

      http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/22/1373408/lib.JPG

      ORDER THIS BOOK NOW! A lovely photo of Pterry and Nation:

      http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/22/1373408/terrynation-1a.jpg

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      14) DWCON NEWS

      from http://www.dwcon.org/news/display-item.php?newsid=146

      A message to Convention-goers from the Hotel Team:

      Up your eye! Mud in your bottom! as Nanny Ogg might say.

      The hotel team are pleased to announce to all our beshtest friends -
      we really really love you, you're our beshtest mates you are- that
      bar prices have now been agreed for the Discworld convention 2008.

      The convention bar will offer a 20% discount on all drinks normally
      stocked, with the addition of bottled real ale priced at £2.90 per
      bottle. A selection of three Ales and one Cider will be available.
      The current selection, subject to availability, are Hobgoblin,
      Spitfire, Ruddles and Scrumpy Jack.

      See you in the bar, ours is a gin & tonic!

      Mandy and Karen (the Hotel team)

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      15) KAREN DAVID INTERVIEW

      An interview with musician-actor Karen David, who played Liessa
      Dragonlady in tCoM, includes her experiences working with Sir David
      Jason:

      "He is such a pro! He is so funny, I was playing a baddie, and it was
      so difficult to keep a straight face in between takes because he would
      crack a joke, he's David Jason he's naturally funny it's not fair, the
      camera would cut in-between and I would be dying to laugh and I would
      turn to him and say 'You are so mean you are making this so difficult
      to be mean to you'."

      http://tinyurl.com/6y7rlu

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      16) CARPE JUGULUM IN ADELAIDE: A REMINDER FOR FOURECKSIAN READERS

      The Unseen Theatre Company presents Stephen Briggs' adaptation of
      Carpe Jugulum next month, directed and re-worked for Unseen Theatre
      Company by Pamela Munt.

      WHEN: July 4 to 19 (Wed to Sat) at 8pm
      WHERE: Bakehouse Theatre, 255 Angas Street, Adelaide
      BOOKINGS: Phone 82270505 or book@...
      TIX: Adults $18, Conc. $15, Fringe Benefits $15, Groups (10+) $12
      MORE INFORMATION: www.unseen.com.au

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      17) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS: FORTHCOMING PRODUCTIONS

      MASKERADE IN BALLARAT

      MAYTE Youth Theatre presents Maskerade at Ballarat Secondary College,
      Wendouree (Victoria, Australia), 3 - 12 July 2008. Tickets are AUD
      10 for adults and AUD 8 for students. For bookings or more
      information, phone 0400 483 188 or email:
      mayteyouththeatre@...

      MEN AT ARMS IN PORTSMOUTH

      The Really Necessary Travelling Actors present Men At Arms at the New
      Theatre Royal in Portsmouth, 8 - 12 July 2008 at 19.30. Tickets are
      available through the New Theatre Royal Booking office 02392-649000
      or contact them via their website:
      http://www.newtheatreroyal.com

      GUARDS! GUARDS! IN POOLE

      Zenith Theatre Co. presents Guards! Guards! at St Aldhelms Hall,
      Poole Road, Branksome, Poole on 18th & 19th July 2008. Curtain time
      is at 7.45pm Friday & Saturday, 2.30pm Sat Mat. Tickets will be 6
      GBP, 5 GBP concessions and 4 GBP for Matinee and children under 14.
      Box Office: 01202 723588.

      MOVING PICTURES IN THATCHAM

      KATS present a World Premiere of Terry Pratchett's Moving Pictures,
      adapted for the stage by John Hicks and Kevin Miller, from 31st July
      to 2 August 2008 at Kennet School, Thatcham. Tickets cost 8 GBP.
      For more details, see:
      http://www.kats.org.uk

      CARPE JUGULUM IN SHEPPERTON: VAMPYRES FRONT AND CENTRE, PLEASE!

      Shepperton Players will present Carpe Jugulum on 1st-4th October 2008
      at the Riverside Arts Centre, 59 Thames St, Lower Sunbury, Middx TW16
      5QF. The Players promise "a large cast with lots of vampyres,
      villagers and Oggs, and also plenty to do backstage." Auditions for
      cast and crew have already been held, but if you think you can
      provide some unforgettable Divers Rude Mechanicals, rehearsals will
      be going on Mondays & Thursdays for much of the summer; call Howard
      on 079 7337 0303: "All are welcome, regardless of age or experience."

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      18) THE DOMINO EFFECT: RETURN OF BLAKES 7

      Blakes 7 is coming back - thanks to the success of Hogfather and tCoM!

      "Sky One is to spend more than £10m on new British drama filmed in HD
      - the largest commitment of its kind in the broadcaster's history, it
      says - featuring versions of two Martina Cole books alongside
      adaptations of novels by Chris Ryan, David Almond and Terry Pratchett.
      Woolfe has also commissioned two scripts aiming to revive the 1980s
      sci-fi favourite Blake's 7; and Sky One will get a 20% budget increase
      this autumn although he declines to give financial details. "We are
      having great meetings with off-screen talent to work with us ... which
      certainly wouldn't have happened two years ago," he says. "Then it
      would have simply been an ambition."

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jun/16/bskyb.channelfive

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      19) REVIEW: 'THE TRUTH' AT BRISBANE ARTS THEATRE, APRIL- MAY 2008

      The Truth, reviewed by Spencer Howson

      "Tonight at the Brisbane Arts Theatre was my first Pratchett
      experience... I can see the appeal in Pratchett's brand of humour.
      And boy did it draw a crowd! I've never seen so many people squashed
      into that theatre..."

      http://www.artstheatre.com.au/reviews.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      20) DISCWORLD T-SHIRTS? NOT QUITE

      http://controversy.wearscience.com/design/turtle/

      Well-meaning, but the shirt designers forgot Cori Celesti and have
      substituted a tortoise (surely not OM?) for A'Tuin the Great Turtle.
      However, the t-shirts do look nice. Here are some beautiful pictures
      of Roundworld sea turtle for comparison:

      http://www.richard-seaman.com/Underwater/Hawaii/Turtles/index.html

      See? Flippers!

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      21) KEEPING IT IN THE FAMILY: NEW RHIANNA PRATCHETT INTERVIEW

      "I think the Dutch certainly get British comedy. And let's face it;
      a lot of it is pretty low-hanging fruit for the whole world now.
      There are probably tribes in the heart of the Papua New Guinean
      rainforest that know all the words to the Dead Parrot sketch."

      It's about gaming, of course, but it's still Pratchett news, innit?

      http://tinyurl.com/68alon

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      22) THE BROKEN DRUMMERS: MONTHLY MEETING IN LONDON

      Just a reminder for Discworld fans in the London area: the Broken
      Drummers meet once monthly of a Monday evening at The Monkey Puzzle,
      30 Southwick Street, London, W2 1JQ (Phone 020 7723 0143). As they
      say, "membership is free, just come along" -- and I know from long-
      ago experience that the Monkey Puzzle is a pleasant pub indeed. This
      month's meeting was held on the 16th, but check their webpage for the
      date of the July come-all-yez:

      http://www.brokendrummers.co.uk/

      (includes contact details)

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      23) AROUND THE BU CAMPUS

      Some discussions of interest this month!

      1. AGE BANDING

      New Bruce:
      It's a very subjective thing, judging the suitability of books for
      young people. I believe the best book you can buy for a child is a
      dictionary. They won't increase their vocabulary unless they are
      introduced to "difficult" words.

      My brother (12 years older than me) gave me a dictionary when I was 8
      and also a copy of The Lord of the Rings. My daughter read it when
      she was 9 and I thought nothing of it (her cat Pippin is on my lap).
      However, when we saw the movie adaptation of The Fellowship of the
      Ring, I commented on the violence. "The book IS violent, Mum!" she
      said with great surprise. My memory had filtered and discarded all
      the violent bits because they didn't interest me and retained the
      birthday party and all the singing elves and the poetry and Tom
      Bombadil :) Lawrence is *much* more heavy-going than Tolkien!

      Steven:
      "That's because only clever people read, right?" Given that The Times
      still has readers, that's certainly not true.

      Whoever it was that wrote that, I think he is utterly missing the
      point that the authors are opposed to a move which would represent
      another step towards that overt control. And it is certainly not
      true that there is "not a shred of regulation" about books -- they
      are absolutely not exempt from laws dealing with obscenity.
      Willingness to prosecute on the basis of such antiquated laws is
      another story. But the laws are there.

      "...can get away with..." -- writing about sex and violence (or, if
      you prefer, "life") isn't something that needs to be gotten away
      with. It's not like robbing a bank or annexing the Sudetenland. For
      good or ill, sex and violence are absolutely fundamental to
      humanity. Besides, it's not like people are proposing that Bret
      Easton Ellis' "American Psycho" be marketed for six year olds.

      Leah:
      In the US the major publishers of books for Young Readers put a very
      small grade-level or age guideline on the backs of their titles.

      The Snow Queen:
      They do? Hmmm, I must check my bookshelf when I get home. I've
      never noticed.

      I was 12 when my aunt insisted I read Clan of the Cave Bear, because
      it was "such a great story". And it was a pretty good story, up
      until the graphic rape scene. The rest of the series was a thinly
      veiled excuse for written fem-porn.

      Mrs Peculiar:
      Ah, come on. Those of us who enjoy the series read it for the nascent
      technology descriptions and the fascinating rudimentary folk
      medicine!

      2. POTTER WARS

      BU's Technomancer explains why he's not a 14-year-old called Kevin:
      "For the Harry Potter fans, though, there was a lot of emotion, they
      took it very personally. One person said 'Harry Potter is my life,
      how dare he say that?'"

      Harry Potter is your life???? Sometimes I think I spread myself a
      little thin, involved with Scouts, church, looking after my family
      and having fun with them, and spending time with friends. I like to
      play guitar and write songs, I listen to music and I enjoy a bit of
      playstation sometimes. I write a blog and keep in touch with friends
      online. Sadly, I spend a lot of my life at work. I'm also quite
      fond of reading, and one of the things I like to read sometimes is
      one or another of the Discworld books...I can't conceive of any one
      thing being 'my life'!

      3. FERNANDO FANS DISCUSS WOSSNAME'S ASTROLOGER EXTRAORDINAIRE

      Leah:
      I love Fernando's horoscopes -- I love Fernando -- and yes, he does
      sound just like Antonio Banderas to me.

      Mrs Peculiar:
      I'd tell him that myself, but as I'm quite sure he reads this list,
      I'll leave it at that. Wouldn't want Fernando to get a swollen, er,
      ego...and now the thought of any sentence with "Fernando" and
      "swollen" in it is making me want to go wash my brain... :P
      Fernando takes his sweet time sending the horoscopes.

      New Bruce:
      I'm sure you have to make allowances. Maintaining Fernando's
      "magnificently flowing hair" must take up a lot of Fernando's time.

      Mrs Peculiar:
      Not to mention polishing all those medallions...

      SteVen:
      Two and a half hours to wash, rinse, comb, trim, re-wash, re-rinse,
      condition, rinse again, comb again, brush, re-condition, and then
      brush again. And he does it three times a day.

      New Bruce:
      It's a wonder he has any time to oil his gleaming muscles and polish
      his gold medallions. Fortunately he has a woman come in once a day
      to clean his ruffled white shirts and brush his red velvet trousers.

      Brian:
      Does she insist he takes the trousers off first?? (runs behind fire-
      proof wall)

      PT the Woll:
      I assume that another woman comes in and ruffles the shirts, once
      he's wearing them?

      Mrs Peculiar:
      But I thought Fernando is known for being famously unruffled!
      Especially when it comes to women...

      PT:
      ...unlike his shirts! I'm sort of picturing the Conan movie poster,
      with Fernando taking the place of Arnie obviously. Except that he'd
      be wearing a shirt, which the scantily clad young lady would be
      ruffling as he stood there, imperturbably.

      4. HOW DO THEY RISE UP? ON ALL FOUR PAWS, APPARENTLY

      New Bruce sent in a link to an on-topic lolcat. Note the clever
      (accidental) placement of the lilac-coloured flowers. Shame no-one
      noticed this a month ago, when it was most timely!

      http://zenokarasu.livejournal.com/

      (scroll down to entry for 27th March)

      If you did not get all four parts, write: interact@...