WOSSNAME - JUNE 2008 - PART 1 OF 4

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26 6:20 AM
      JUNE 2008 (Volume 11, Issue 6)
      WOSSNAME is a FREE publication for members of the worldwide
      Editor Emeritus (retd): Joseph Schaumburger
      News Editor: Fiona (not Bruce) Bruce
      Newshounds: Vera, Mogg, Sir J of Croydon Below
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      Emergency Staff: Jason Parlevliet, Nathan Clissold, Dylan Williams
      World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano

      ====Part 1 -- ALL THE NEWS THAT FITS

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH
      2) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      3) PTERRY FINDS G-, UM, PTERRY
      4) DAVID FROST INTERVIEWS TERRY PRATCHETT
      5) UPDATE: ALZHEIMER'S AWARENESS INCREASES
      6) WHEN FANS ATTACK! POTTERITES VERSUS PTERRYISTS
      7) AGE BANDING OF BOOKS CONTROVERSY
      8) WHERE TO SEE A GENUINE PRATCHETT: FORTHCOMING LIVE APPEARANCES
      9) MAKING MONEY WINS LOCUS BEST FANTASY NOVEL AWARD
      10) REDORBIT REVIEWS ALZHEIMER'S DOCUMENTARY

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS

      11) DVD RE-RELEASE OF WYRD SISTERS AND SOUL MUSIC
      12) ONLINE REVIEW OF MAKING MONEY (CONTAINS SPOILERS)
      13) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
      14) DWCON NEWS
      15) KAREN DAVID INTERVIEW
      16) DISCWORLD PLAYS: REMINDER -- CARPE JUGULUM IN ADELAIDE
      17) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS: FORTHCOMING PRODUCTIONS
      18) THE (DISCWORLD) DOMINO EFFECT: RETURN OF BLAKES 7
      19) REVIEW: 'THE TRUTH' AT BRISBANE ARTS THEATRE
      20) DISCWORLD T-SHIRTS...ISH
      21) RHIANNA PRATCHETT INTERVIEW
      22) THE BROKEN DRUMMERS: COME ONE, COME ALL, COME OOK!
      23) BU CAMPUS NEWSROUND

      ====Part 3 -- ...AND MORE...AND WEIRD ALICE

      24) ABP BITS OF INTEREST
      25) ANSWERS TO LAST MONTH'S QUIZ
      26) THE CLACKS LOG OF WEIRD ALICE LANCREVIC

      ====Part 4 --

      27) WEIRD ALICE, CONTINUED
      28) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      1) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

      "... the Quirmian philosopher Ventre, who said, 'Possibly the
      gods exist, and possibly they do not. So why not believe in them in
      any case? If it's all true you'll go to a lovely place when you die,
      and if it isn't then you've lost nothing, right?' When he died he
      woke up in a circle of gods holding nasty-looking sticks and one of
      them said, 'We're going to show you what we think of Mr Clever Dick
      in these parts..." -- Hogfather

      "I don't think I've found God, but I may have seen where gods come
      from." -- Terry Pratchett, June 2008

      Wotcha, WOSSNAME-ers! We've a packed issue this month, so I won't
      rattle on much at the start. Read on for controversies, awards, DVD
      releases, reviews, interviews and quite a lot of daftness from
      several Discworld discussion groups.

      It's been a year now since I officially (or possibly "officially")
      took over the helm of WOSSNAME, and I still ate'nt dead. However, I'm
      delighted to welcome our new News Editor, Fiona (Not Bruce) Bruce.
      I'd also like to take this opportunity to wish a very happy birthday
      to Joe Schaumburger, founder of WOSSNAME. Joe turns 78 on the 28th.
      All the best to you, Joe, and I hope you're enjoying your well-
      deserved retirement!

      Right. On with the show...

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      3) PTERRY AND THEOLOGY: IN HIS OWN WORDS

      "I number believers of all sorts among my friends. Some of them are
      praying for me. I'm happy they wish to do this, I really am, but I
      think science may be a better bet."

      "I asked a teacher what the opposite of a miracle was and she,
      without thinking, I assume, said it was an act of God. You shouldn't
      say something like that to the kind of kid who will grow up to be a
      writer; we have long memories."

      To read the entire article, with its "by Terry Pratchett" byline, go
      to:

      http://tinyurl.com/6msa55

      [Editor's note: the title of this one is somewhat misleading. For the
      record, Pterry originally chose the title "The God Moment."]

      ***

      A TEMPEST IN A PHILOSOPHICAL TEAPOT: the Bryan Appleyard interview
      was what started it:

      http://snipurl.com/2emw3

      Our News Editor, Fiona (Not Bruce) Bruce, says she can't discern any
      'change of heart' from the opinions Pterry expressed when interviewed
      by Mark Lawson for the BBC ten years ago:

      'Lawson started by asking Terry if he believed in God. Terry declared
      that he was a "Victorian-style" atheist: "I don't believe anyone is
      playing a cosmic game of snakes and ladders." But he did call himself
      a "Christian atheist", meaning that he has basically Christian
      values. He went on to remark that anyway, different religions have a
      similar moral system, "because it works". Lawson said that Terry's
      beliefs were humanist, and Pratchett agreed. I got the impression
      that Terry shares the moral values of religions, even if he is an
      atheist.'

      http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/3691/issues/17_bigquest.html

      ...and another journalist took the Appleyard interview and
      interpreted it to fit his own agenda. Some of the reader comments are
      interesting:

      http://snipurl.com/2emwm

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      4) TWO BRITISH ICONS: DAVID FROST INTERVIEWS TERRY PRATCHETT

      "Alzheimer's hovers, as it were, in front of my imagination -- in the
      corner somewhere, like a kind of station ID."

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc94kG5Sw1w

      Check this one out ASAP; it's an excellent interview, and who knows
      but what it might be pulled off YouTube due to, say, copyright
      issues...

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      5) PTERRY CONTINUES TO RAISE ALZHEIMER'S AWARENESS

      According to the UK's Daily Mail Online:Dementia, not cancer, is
      now the greatest fear for the over-55s.

      "I'd like a chance to die like my father did – of cancer, at 86.
      Remember, I'm speaking as a man with Alzheimer's, which strips away
      your living self a bit at a time. Before he went to spend his last
      two weeks in a hospice he was bustling around the house, fixing
      things. He talked to us right up to the last few days, knowing who
      we were and who he was. Right now, I envy him."
      -- Terry Pratchett, quoted in the article

      "The latest poll of 2,000 adults found 26 per cent were most
      concerned about getting dementia, 41 per cent cancer, 11 per cent
      heart attack and eight per cent stroke. Over 55s were most worried
      about dementia (39 per cent), cancer (30 per cent) heart attack (9
      per cent) and stroke (12 per cent)."

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?w1j

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      6) FAN WARS: A STUDY OF BRAND LOYALTY

      "When JK Rowling, best-selling author of the Harry Potter books gave
      an interview to the British Sunday Times in 2005, saying she was
      unaware she was writing fantasy when she began the series and gently
      mocking the genre her books inhabit, it started a fight that was to
      play out on Internet pages with combatants drawn from every region...
      It was about this time that an intrepid war reporter - or in this
      case researcher - Toni Eagar caught up with the looming clash
      ahead....

      "Eagar analysed the responses of fans on Pratchett and Rowling
      internet bulletin boards. In the paper, she breaks down the behaviour
      of the online fans into moral judgements, and what effect that had on
      the group. The differences were stark. In the Discworld community
      participants tended towards a positive moral judgement towards
      Pratchett's letter, leaping to his defence and uniting in disparaging
      the Harry Potter books. This, says Eagar, helped to reinforce group
      identity. The Harry Potter community, however, saw a fracturing of
      views..."

      http://snipurl.com/2buyv

      ...and here's an amusing spoof "follow-up":

      "London underground Transport police intercepted a large group of
      midgets in full 'Dwarf battle attire' on the Piccadilly line shortly
      after 3pm and turned them away from the city centre after
      confiscating their weapons and 2 sacks of stale fruit scones."

      http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm?headline=s3i36177

      ...though there certainly are some ultra-passionate Pratchett fans
      out there in real life -- particularly in the continent of Fourecks.
      WOSSNAME newshound Mogg reports that earlier this week on Australia's
      Triple J radio (an FM and internet subsidiary of ABC, the Australian
      Broadcasting Corporation), during a regular segment called Nerds of a
      Feather, someone decided as a prank to convince a "Discworld nerd" in
      the state of Victoria that Pterry would be appearing in Perth,
      Western Australia -- thousands of miles away, on the opposite side of
      the continent -- for a special signing session. According to the
      radio report, the fan promptly flew out to Perth in search of his
      favourite author. As far as we're told, he's still searching. Ouch!

      Triple J does put up Nerds of a Feather segments in mp3 format, but
      as of publication time, the most recent one is last week's. It's
      worth checking the web page below for updates, though. WOSSNAME hopes
      to track down the real story and, if it is true, find out what
      happened to the poor fellow:

      www.abc.net.au/triplej/breakfast/rss/podcast.xml

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      7) AGE BANDING OF YOUNG READER BOOKS: BOON OR BANE?

      According to The Telegraph (UK):

      "From the autumn, book covers will bear a sign stating they are
      intended for readers aged 5+, 7+, 9+, 11+ and 13+/teen. The
      guidelines are being introduced by leading publishers but have caused
      such dismay amongst the literary community that more than 80 authors,
      illustrators, librarians, teachers and booksellers have joined
      together in protest.

      "An online petition at www.notoagebanding.org says that the idea is
      'ill-conceived' and 'damaging to the interests of young readers'. It
      goes on: 'We take this step to disavow publicly any connection with
      such age-guidance figures, and to state our passionately-held
      conviction that everything about a book should seek to welcome
      readers in and not keep them out.'

      "Signatories include Michael Rosen, the current Children's Laureate,
      and best-selling authors Michael Morpurgo, Jacqueline Wilson and
      Terry Pratchett."

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?t87

      Also in The Bookseller:
      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?t88

      and in The Guardian:
      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?t89

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      8) PTERRY'S FORTHCOMING LIVE APPEARANCES

      Edinburgh Book Festival:

      Terry Pratchett will be appearing at the Edinburgh International Book
      Festival on 16th August 2008, in the Main Theatre. Admission costs
      nine pounds (GBP 9). For information: 0131 228 5444

      "The inimitable Terry Pratchett takes us on an enlightening tour of
      his most famous creation Discworld in the year of its 25th
      anniversary. For fans from 8 to 80 this is a pleasure not to be
      missed at any cost."

      This is the world's biggest book festival: there will be some 800
      authors from 45 countries, a new record, participating this year.

      http://tinyurl.com/598gt9

      ...and the Cheltenham Screenwriters Festival:

      http://www.screenwritersfestival.com/

      Speakers -- apart from Pterry! -- will include Vadim Jean.

      In a related topic, this article at www.ireland.com about film
      version of famous fantasy series bemoans that fact that Discworld has
      yet to make it to the big screen:

      http://tinyurl.com/62udoy

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      9) MAKING MONEY WINS LOCUS MAGAZINE BEST FANTASY NOVEL AWARD

      http://www.locusmag.com/2008/Locus_Awards_Winners.html

      Surely this must be the first time a novel about banking has won a
      fantasy award... Other category winners include China Mieville, Joe
      Hill (who looks so much like his famous father that it's
      appropriately spooky), Neil Gaiman, and Connie Willis -- all good
      company!

      According to the Locus page, complete results of the Locus Poll will
      be published in their July issue, and will be incorporated into the
      Locus Index to Science Fiction Awards by the end of 2008.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      10) REDORBIT REVIEWS ALZHEIMER'S DOCUMENTARY

      The BBC documentary Mum and Me explores a family's management
      of a relative with Alzheimer's and the importance of retaining a
      sense of humour. This review in RedOrbit mentions Terry Pratchett:

      "...fantasy author Terry Pratchett likes to make a joke of his
      Alzheimer's. 'My name is Terry Pratchett,' he tells audiences at book
      signings or events, 'I think.' I liked Terry Pratchett's one-liner
      when I heard it on the radio this week. You won't be repeating it in
      the pub tonight, but for anyone whose life has been touched by the
      grinding unpredictability of dementia (that really is an awful word),
      the wry humour rings true. To have an Alzheimer's sufferer treated as
      a normal person being slowly hollowed out, rather than a doddery old
      fool with little explanation why, helps retain everyone's dignity. By
      tweaking the nose of this bewildering illness, you are proving that
      an Alzheimer's victim has done nothing wrong."

      "...a point Terry Pratchett made, and something I've seen at first
      hand - that everyone connected appreciates the sense of the absurd
      and just tries to rub along regardless... There are few other
      illnesses as difficult to rationalise, so what else can you do?"

      http://tinyurl.com/5kcvj5

      If you did not get all four parts, write: interact@...