WOSSNAME - MAY 2008 - PART 2 OF 5

    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2008
      WOSSNAME -- MAY 2008 -- PART 2 OF 5 (continued)

      ====Part 2 - MORE NEWS AND THE SUCH

      10) SPONSOR AN ORANGUTAN!
      11) PTERRY AND THE ROBOTS
      12) THE CRICKETERS' FAVOURITE
      13) STEPHEN PLAYER: ART FOR DISC'S SAKE
      14) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
      15) LA TIMES REVIEW: MAKING MONEY
      16) DVD NEWS
      17) HE DIED WITH A PRATCHETT IN HIS HAND...
      18) STUDENTS WANT PTERRY'S HEAD EXAMINED!
      19) CARPE JUGULUM IN ADELAIDE
      20) WYRD SISTERS IN BUNBURY
      21) MEN AT ARMS IN PORTSMOUTH
      22) MORT THE MUSICAL: UPDATED DATES
      23) WYRD SISTERS IN YORK
      24) DWCON UPDATE

      10) SPONSOR AN ORANGUTAN!

      Ook! For just £24.95 you can adopt Violet, a rescued orangutan under
      the care of the Orangutan Foundation, for a year and you will receive
      a gift pack which includes:

      * A personalised certificate with a colour picture of Violet.
      * An Orangutan fact sheet.
      * A copy of the video 'Orangutan the Forest Ape'.
      * An update after six months of adoption.

      For more information and instructions on how to sponsor, go to:

      http://tinyurl.com/24u2pq

      ...or you can make a direct donation to the Foundation:

      http://tinyurl.com/2g3v4l

      If you can spare even a small amount, you'll be helping to save these
      wonderful, intelligent Forest People. Ook ook oook ook EEK! Which
      means, "Go on, you know you want to..."

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      11) R2D2, T-800...AND PTERRY?!

      Seattle's Science Fiction Museum, a part of Experience Music Project,
      has a new exhibit: an art exhibit of robots and science-fiction-
      related toys from the 1950s to the current era. And guess which
      author is prominently quoted there?

      According to Seattle Herald journalist Andy Rathbun:

      With a young audience in mind, museum curators set two of the four
      shelves about three feet off the ground, an ideal height for a
      child's gaze. Outside the room, in a second section, the museum has
      reorganized elements of its own collection, putting together long-
      displayed items. Those include an original T-800 from the
      "Terminator" movies, an original NS-5 from the Will Smith movie "I,
      Robot" and a reproduction of R2-D2. Additionally, a quote has been
      added to one wall, framing the collections. The lines were taken from
      Terry Pratchett's "The Dark Side of the Sun." They read:

      "I wonder what makes us build inefficiently-shaped human robots
      instead of nice streamlined machines."

      "Pride, sir," said the robot.

      Read the entire article at:
      http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20080523/ENT/370607799

      "Robots: A Designer's Collection of Miniature Mechanical Marvels"
      Now through Oct. 26
      Science Fiction Museum at Experience Music Project
      325 Fifth Ave. N., Seattle.
      Prices: $15; $12 for seniors, youths and members of the military;
      free for children under 5.
      877-454-7836

      http://www.sfhomeworld.org

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      12) PRATCHETT: THE CRICKETERS' FAVOURITE

      From an interview with David Gower about the IPL:

      If you could choose four cricketers to share your commentary box, who
      would they be?

      W G Grace...Keith Miller. Graeme Pollock. Richie Benaud.

      And if you could choose four people from any other walk of life, who
      would they be?

      Sir Tim Rice. Terry Pratchett. Sir David Attenborough. Sir Isaac
      Newton. We need someone to have a scientific view on why the ball is
      or isn't swinging.

      Full interview here:

      http://tiny.cc/cFtMG

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      13) ART FOR DISC'S SAKE: DO YOUR BIT

      A message from the awesome Stephen Player, one of the official
      Discworld illustrators:

      My name is Stephen Player - illustrator to Terry Pratchett among
      others. My site is http://www.playergallery.com/

      I have been commissioned to paint 2 of the images for the 2009 Terry
      Pratchett Calendar (Orion). Does anyone have any ideas of amazing
      Discworld moments that have so far been neglected by the various
      illustrators?

      If so, please send them to mail@...

      If I choose your idea I may ask for more details so you'll need to
      know the novels well. And I will send you a signed edition of the
      calendar as a thankyou...

      There's a fully illustrated Wee Free Men coming out in October in the
      US and UK and I am now working on a deluxe edition of COM and Light
      Fantastic to celebrate 25 years since publication - wrap around
      cover, some black and whites and 12 colour plates...

      Editor's note: this was originally posted on the
      www.terrypratchettbooks.com message board. To read the discussion
      online, go to:

      http://tinyurl.com/6jcj5r

      There are some fascinating suggestions there!

      Terry Pratchett opening the Bath Postal Museum exhibit:

      http://www.pjsmprints.com/images/news/goinpostal-1.jpg

      The wearing of the lilac (this is pretty much my favourite photo of
      Pterry!):

      http://tinyurl.com/6eqs95

      How to hug a Librarian:

      http://tinyurl.com/63tmo4

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      15) COMING IN FROM THE (COMING IN) COLD: A FINE REVIEW OF MAKING
      MONEY

      The LA Times has published a review of Making Money by a first-time
      Discworld reader, book reviewer Ed park. It's interesting to see how
      he copes with the enormous amount of backstory in the Discworld
      universe.

      http://tinyurl.com/668ley

      "With Moist, Pratchett manages a neat trick. All of the other
      characters (save the villainous Lavishes) comment on how charming
      and resourceful he is, and then Pratchett makes him appear charming
      and resourceful to us as well. This is no small feat; it's like a
      ballplayer pointing to a section of the bleachers before knocking
      the next pitch there. Writing is supposedly about showing, not
      telling, and Pratchett has gone ahead and done both."

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      16) DVD NEWS: THE COLOUR OF MAGIC, HOGFATHER, ETC.

      From the PJSM Prints site news:

      "We have had many enquiries regarding the Colour of Magic DVD and can
      now confirm that it is scheduled to be released in the UK in October
      2008 by Twentieth Century Fox."

      ---

      Adrian from Netflix writes:

      Hogfather is doing quite well at Netflix, 4 stars out of 5 and extra
      copies were bought due to more than expected demand.

      http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Hogfather/70082723

      I have also discovered that the animated cartoon versions of Wyrd
      Sisters and Soul Music are going to be re-released on DVD in the USA
      in August 2008, as the Terry Pratchett Discworld Collection.

      [Great news, Adrian -- thank you for the heads-up! -- Ed.]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      17) HE DIED WITH A PRATCHETT IN HIS HAND...

      Some people may hope "die with their boots on", but noted author
      Robert Asprin went one better:

      http://www.nola.com/newsflash/index.ssf?/base/news-39/1211819343
      100810.xml&storylist=louisiana

      or http://tinyurl.com/69klhf

      We aren't told *which* book it was, but one of the Death series would
      have been rather appropriate...

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      18) SHOCK HORROR! YORK STUDENTS WANT TO EXAMINE PTERRY'S BRAIN!

      "What do Vic Reeves, the Queen and Terry Pratchett have in common?
      The answer is that students at a York secondary school would like
      them all to have their brains examined for their school project.
      Pupils at Archbishop Holgate's CE School were asked who they would
      like to take part their project which would involve an MRI brain
      scan, and these were just some of the names they came up with..."

      http://tinyurl.com/5gpp3e

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      19) CARPE JUGULUM IN ADELAIDE: THE UNSEEN THEATRE STRIKES AGAIN!

      Coming on the heels of their divers successful Discworld play
      presentations, the Unseen Theatre's next project is Carpe Jugulum.
      Here's the blurb:

      CARPE JUGULUM
      Adapted by Stephen Briggs
      Directed and re-worked for Unseen Theatre Company by Pamela Munt

      Vampires are seizing the throat! Can witches seize the day?

      The de Magpyrs are the sort of vampires that would have Count Dracula
      spinning in his grave. They are modern, forward-looking and no longer
      afraid of holy water, garlic, religious symbols or, indeed, of
      anything else. They're out of the casket, and want a bite of the
      future. Not only that, they've got style and fancy waistcoats.

      Little do they know, that they should be afraid – very afraid –
      because the Lancre witches are on hand to save the Discworld and the
      battle is on. The witches are about to "kick some bat".

      An hilarious battle of wills between vampires and witches – this
      "fast-moving, funny and ingenious" tale is a worthy follow up to
      the highly successful "Maskerade". It is Terry Pratchett's
      twenty-third Discworld novel – but the first to star vampires.

      WHEN: July 4 to 19 (wed to sat) at 8pm
      WHERE: Bakehouse Theatre, 255 Angas Street, Adelaide
      BOOKINGS: Phone 82270505 or book@... Or

      TIX: Adults $18, Conc. $15, Fringe Benefits $15, Groups (10+) $12

      MORE INFORMATION: www.unseen.com.au

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      20) WYRD SISTERS IN BUNBURY

      The Bunbury Musical Comedy Group will be staging Wyrd Sisters, in
      Bunbury Western Australia, between October 29th and November 8th 2008.
      Details details will be available on the Bunbury Regional Entertainment
      Centre site in due course:

      http://www.bunburyentertainment.com/

      Until then, all enquiries should be directed to Paul Williams (director):

      bmcg3@...

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      21) MEN AT ARMS IN PORTSMOUTH

      Zoë Spelzini-Doy, Secretary of the Collingwood RSC, writes:

      The Really Necessary Travelling Actors are putting on a production of
      Men At Arms at the New Theatre Royal in Portsmouth, 8 - 12 July 2008
      at 19.30. They have done several Terry Pratchett plays in the past
      and all have been very well received.

      Tickets can be booked through the New Theatre Royal Booking office or
      you can contact them via their website:

      www.newtheatreroyal.com

      To go directly to the company's dedicated Men at Arms page:

      http://www.newtheatreroyal.com/newseason/pages/whatson/july/menatarms

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      22) MORT THE MUSICAL: UPDATED DATES

      There has been a change of dates for the new musical adaptation of
      Mort as announced earlier this week. The revised dates are now
      Wednesday 20th - Saturday 23rd August at 8pm (Matinees Thur & Sat
      2pm).

      For those of you who didn't catch the original announcement:

      Terry Pratchett's MORT
      Book & Lyrics by Jenifer Toksvig
      Music by Dominic Haslam

      Venue: Yvonne Arnaud Theatre, Guildford, Surrey, UK
      Wednesday 20th - Saturday 23rd August 2008, 8pm (Matinees Thur & Sat
      2pm)

      More info and a sample song can be found at
      http://www.acompletelossforwords.com/mort.html

      Tickets can be booked at:
      http://www.yvonne-arnaud.co.uk/stage.asp?s=413

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      23) WYRD SISTERS IN YORK

      York Rising Stars will present Stephen Briggs' adaptation of Wyrd
      Sisters at the York Railway Institute on 20th & 21st June 2008. For
      details, go to:

      http://www.yorkrisingstars.co.uk

      Where and when:

      Friday 20th June & Saturday 21st June
      Doors open: 7pm
      Curtain up: 7.30pm
      All tickets £5 each
      For ticket enquiries contact: charlotte@...
      Or telephone: 01904 623222

      York Rising Stars also support Alzheimer's Disease research
      donations: "As any Terry Pratchett fan will tell you, the man himself
      was diagnosed with Alzheimer's last December. He recently made a
      donation of £500,000 to Alzheimer's to help them continue to fund
      research into this awful disease. With this in mind we have decided
      to make Alzheimer's our chosen charity for this year. We will be
      holding a Grand Summer Draw, with a part of the ticket price going
      directly to Alzheimer's York & Selby Branch."

      For further details of the draw, go to:

      http://yorkrisingstars.no-ip.info/Grand%20Summer%20Draw.php

      Good prizes, and all for a good cause!

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      24) DWCON UPDATES

      This should appeal to the geeks among you. I'm a mere halfling, but I
      grok it; those of you who don't grok it can either read the links,
      research the topic on Wikipedia, or just shake your heads quietly and
      move along:

      There will be a PGP/GPG keysigning party at the 2008 Discworld
      Convention. People wishing to participate should go to:

      http://garfield.prima.de/

      ...and follow the instructions there. There are a number of clickable
      links on the page that offer further clarification. Anyone with
      questions, suggestions and the like can contact Bodo at:

      mailto:ksp-dwcon@...

      May the encryption force be with you!

      Also, a list of events for this year's Convention can be viewed at:

      http://www.dwcon.org/programme/