WOSSNAME - MAY 2008 - PART 1 OF 5

    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2008
      MAY 2008 (Volume 11, Issue 5)
      WOSSNAME is a FREE publication for members of the worldwide
      Editor Emeritus (retd): Joseph Schaumburger
      News Editor: T.F. (Tiff) Peasey
      Newshounds: Vera, NewBruce, Sir J of Croydon Below
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      Puzzle Editor: incognito
      Emergency Staff: Jason Parlevliet, Nathan Clissold, Dylan Williams
      World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano

      ====Part 1 -- ALL THE NEWS THAT FITS

      1) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
      2) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      3) LILAC TIME...
      4) PTERRY OPENS BATH POSTAL MUSEUM EXHIBIT
      5) THE GLORIOUS 25th BADGE
      6) SIGNING AT FOYLES
      7) A BALL OF FLAMING GAS...AND A SEA CRUISE
      8) PTERRY ON BBC's THE ONE SHOW...
      9) ...AND ON THE ROPES

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS AND SUCH

      10) SPONSOR AN ORANGUTAN
      11) PTERRY AND THE ROBOTS
      12) THE CRICKETERS' FAVOURITE
      13) STEPHEN PLAYER: ART FOR DISC'S SAKE
      14) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
      15) LA TIMES REVIEW: MAKING MONEY
      16) DVD NEWS
      17) HE DIED WITH A PRATCHETT IN HIS HAND...
      18) STUDENTS WANT PTERRY'S HEAD EXAMINED!
      19) CARPE JUGULUM IN ADELAIDE
      20) WYRD SISTERS IN BUNBURY
      21) MEN AT ARMS IN PORTSMOUTH
      22) MORT THE MUSICAL: UPDATED DATES
      23) WYRD SISTERS IN YORK
      24) DWCON 2008 UPDATES

      ====Part 3 -- MORE...AND BU NEWS

      25) ANOTHER UNAUTHORISED BOOK ABOUT DISCWORLD
      26) AROUND THE BU CAMPUS
      27) HOW NOT TO GROK DISCWORLD
      28) NOT QUITE THE END

      *** COMING SOON *** WITH 1,000 ELEPHANTS! ***

      ====Part 4 -- QUIZ, WEIRD ALICE, AND HOROSCOPE

      29) DISCWORLD QUIZ
      30) WEIRD ALICE: NEWS FROM ANKH-MORPORK
      31) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      ====Part 5 -- HOROSCOPE CONTINUED, AND CLOSE

      32) HOROSCOPE, CONTINUED

      1) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

      "Unlike most lengthy series which start with a bang and fade away
      with a whimper, Discworld has matured into some of the best satirical
      writing in any genre, in which practically every page boasts a
      sentence good enough to make you pound the text and shout 'Exactly
      right!'"

      -- Anna M. Caggiano
      Co-moderator of the HarperCollins TerryPratchettBooks.com Message
      Board, guest liaison for NADWCON, and former News Editor of WOSSNAME

      "Hopefully, like the Hogfather adaptation before it, The Colour of
      Magic will introduce a whole new group of people to the Discworld.
      With a bit of luck, some of them will become new readers, and will be
      able to enjoy the thrill of setting off for the first time with
      Rincewind and Twoflower. In a way I envy them -- having such a
      wonderful set of books to discover."

      -- Jason Anthony
      Noted Discworld fan and publisher of Discworld Monthly

      (Both quotations can be found on page 35 in Locus Magazine's April
      2008 issue tribute to Terry Pratchett, Discworld: 25 Years on a
      Turtle's Back)

      "So...where were you on the 25th of May?"

      This year's 25th of May came in the twenty-fifth year of Discworld,
      amidst a myriad of celebrations and Pratchett and Discworld features
      across the four corners of Roundworld (now there's a thought -- why
      do we still refer to the "four corners of the Earth" when we've known
      for hundreds of years that the Earth is round? - well, spherical,
      yes, but...). And it's only right that we pause to consider those who
      sacrificed so that we might have a better world of Pterry-and-
      Discworld fandom today: all the Early Adopters who spent years
      braving the tides of disinterest and even scorn as we, um, I mean
      they constantly collared unsuspecting friends and strangers to bend
      their ears about this obscure British author who wrote hysterically
      funny, painfully sharp satirical fantasy. "Satirical fantasy? What's
      that? And what do you mean, a flat world that goes through space on
      the back of a turtle? Feeling a bit overwrought, are we?" But they --
      oh, all right, we -- persevered, and watched the numbers of the
      faithful swell through the years until Discworld novels got their own
      designated bookstore shelves, and the literary world grudgingly
      acknowledged a giant among wordsmiths, and programmers named
      software after Discworld characters, and Discworld telefilms became
      ratings winners, and the ever-growing success of the series and its
      creator came to teeter on the brink of...

      ...phenomenon.

      Yes, phenomenon. Not just a twenty-five-year overnight success. In
      the past year, the names "Pratchett" and "Discworld" have been
      acquiring their own sort of magical talismanhood. I truly believe
      that the coming decade will be remembered as the Age of Pratchett,
      just as the previous one has been the Age of Potter. I believe -- no,
      I know -- that the series will eventually make it to the big screen,
      and be no less beloved than those charmingly dusty old tales of a
      place called Middle Earth. I know that the Young Reader novels of
      Terence Pratchett OBE will take their place among children's classics
      for many generations to come, weathering time and changes shoulder to
      shoulder with the like of Treasure Island. So wear your lilac with
      pride every years, and never forget the brave soldierly fans who
      spread the world to a once uncaring world. How do they rise up? Well,
      turtle-shaped, for starters.

      On a somewhat more down-to-Roundworld note, this month's issue will
      be split into two postings. Owing to assorted circumstances, what you
      have before you on your screen is "all the news that fits"; the rest,
      including Fernando's horoscope, will be along in a few days' time.
      Bear with us, and all shall be revealed.

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      3) LILAC TIME

      A blogger known as Thena has written a lovely piece of poetry,
      reprinted here with permission. You'll recognise the source of
      inspiration...and a nod here and there to a late lamented colleague
      of the Man in the Hat:

      NOT YET, BUT SOON

      It is not yet the twenty-fifth of May,
      but I have cut the first of the lilacs,
      arranged them in a bowl on the sideboard
      filled with clean water and unkept promises

      I do not wear the lilac. I was not there -
      Not in that time (which is not a time)
      nor in that place (which is not a place)
      which, being neither time nor place
      is almost any time and anywhere,
      thus every time and every place connects
      through this time and this place,
      this here and now while these lilacs bloom -
      so I do not presume

      And so we wait, in the glorious expectation
      of not very much at all, one eye on the lilacs
      blooming in the dooryard,
      the other on the towels hanging on the line
      (keep track of them, useful things they are)
      waving gently in the spring wind,
      banners of mundanity and toil -
      ordinary things that speak of ordinary people
      who only ever wanted peace and prosperity
      and a good boiled egg for breakfast
      (or something close enough),
      people who have neither the time nor the desire
      to read stirring poetry when the lilacs bloom

      And so we wait, continuing about our business,
      while the bees drone in the lilacs,
      waiting for the time (that is not a time)
      and the place (that is not a place)
      when ordinary people do extraordinary things
      because there is no longer any alternative,
      and somehow it comes out all right in the end
      (or mostly all right, except for the sequel)
      and we can finally sit down to breakfast
      with a clean towel
      and a bowl of lilacs on the table.

      -- Thena

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      4) ...AND BATH-TIME

      On the (also glorious) 14th of May, Terry Pratchett opened a new
      exhibition at Bath's Postal Museum. The exhibition, "What the
      Victorians Did for Us", celebrates the Victorian age of invention and
      aims to show how the development of communications in the Victorian
      period still influences our lives today.

      Pterry, who used to work for the Bath Chronicle as a sub-editor [Ed.
      note: sub-editors are the ones who do the actual work!], is a patron
      of the museum -- which he put to good use when researching Going
      Postal there.

      At the opening, he said, "This has been a wonderful exhibition and I
      am pleased to be here to look around. The Victorian period was such a
      great age of inventions and they were all inventions which we could
      get our heads around - they were easy to understand unlike today's
      inventions...I just think it is such a great museum."

      The exhibition, which runs until September, features displays about
      the birth of the penny post, post boxes, and the transportation of
      mail.

      from http://tinyurl.com/6nfbe3

      http://www.bathpostalmuseum.co.uk/news/index.html

      To explore the Bath Postal Museum via the internet, go to:

      http://www.bathpostalmuseum.co.uk/explore/index.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      5) GET YER LILAC ON: THE GLORIOUS 25th BADGE

      Now available - but be quick! The Assassins' and Watch badges sold
      out very quickly indeed.

      According to the site, "This beautiful 1" pin celebrates the Glorious
      Revolution of the People's Republic of Treacle Mine Road."

      Limited edition of only 200
      Price £18.99

      http://www.pjsmprints.com/pins/index.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      6) PTERRY AT FOYLES: THE SIGNING HAT RIDES AGAIN

      Two towering forces of the written word under one roof!

      "A Terry Pratchett book signing takes place at Foyles bookshop on the
      Southbank in June to mark the launch of the new paperback, Making
      Money. Celebrating 25 years of Discworld, the fantasy author will be
      signing copies of the new book from noon onwards."

      "Been a Pratchett fan for a long time and still haven't seen him at a
      signing? The Foyles Terry Pratchett book signing is a chance for
      hardcore fans to meet their idol, and get a shiny new copy of the
      latest book at the same time.

      "The Terry Pratchett book signing takes place at Foyles bookshop from
      midday until 2:30pm on Saturday 14th June 2008. Queues are likely, so
      you are advised to arrive early to avoid disappointment."

      http://tinyurl.com/6dxdea

      When
      12:00-14:30

      Where
      Foyles
      Southbank Centre,
      Belvedere Road,
      London,
      SE1 8XX

      (020) 7440 3213

      Map:
      http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/whatson/foyles-maps-37331.html

      Nearest Tube
      Waterloo

      Cost
      Free

      Age Restrictions
      n/a

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      7) A BALL OF FLAMING GAS...AND A SEA CRUISE

      And you too could watch it out on the ocean! This from the Times
      Online:

      "Science fiction writer Terry Pratchett is joining the rush to view
      the total eclipse of the sun next year.

      "The eclipse will be the longest for a century, and Pratchett is
      heading to Taiwan along with the BBC Sky at Night team, which is the
      broadcasting the event live.

      "The trip aboard a cruise ship has been organised by a travel
      company, Eclipse of the Century, and will commence in Taipei on July
      17, 2009 for nine days - including the Eclipse Day, July 22. Places
      are still available on the sailing.

      "At the point of greatest eclipse the totality will last for a
      massive 6.39 minutes – something that won't happen again until
      June 13, 2132."

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?quc

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      8) PTERRY ON BBC's THE ONE SHOW...

      Did you blink? In that case, you missed it (no, that's not a Doctor
      Who reference). The interview was broadcast on BBC1 at 7:00 pm on
      15th May 2008 - ah, if only WOSSNAME were a weekly instead of monthly
      publication!

      Here's a viewer's reaction, from André at alt.books.pratchett:

      Terry was there apropos Alzheimers, and he was the studio (couch)
      guest, so he was there for the duration of the show and got to handle
      one of Miranda Krestovnikoff's slow worms ...

      The main reason for his presence was so that:

      (a) the presenters could come out with the out-of-date factoid about
      him being the most shop-lifted author in Britain (Terry's response:
      "Can you prove it?");

      (b) Terry could comment on a well-made report of a lady with
      early-onset Alzheimers and the presenters could ask him searching
      questions like "How did it feel?".

      (c) He could make the odd bon mot during the rest of show, remarking
      in a matter-of-fact way that he had slow worms in his garden.

      An average show (is it live? it felt it from the odd glitch), with
      Terry doing an average (for him, i.e. pretty good) job.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      9) ...AND "ON THE ROPES" ON BBC4

      On The Ropes, a radio show that interviews successful people who have
      weathered storms in their careers, featured Terry Pratchett in the
      instalment originally broadcast on 20th May:

      http://www.sffaudio.com/?p=2609

      You can still access the programme via the BBC's Listen Again
      service:

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/progs/listenagain.shtml#o

      [The page is in alphabetical order; scroll down to the O section for
      On the Ropes. -- Ed.]

      A picture of Pterry being interviewed by presenter John Humphrys:

      http://www.pjsmprints.com/images/news/johnhumphrys-2.jpg