WOSSNAME - APRIL 2008 - PART 2 OF 5

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2008
      WOSSNAME -- APRIL 2008 -- PART 2 OF 5 (continued)

      ====Part 2 -- WORDS, PICTURES, PLAYS, CHITCHAT...AND ALICE

      12) NADWCON NEWS
      13) SECRETS OF THE WEE FREE MEN
      14) WANTED: CANADIAN DISCWORLD GUILD
      15) FABULOUS DISCWORLD FANART
      16) MORT THE MUSICAL
      17) MASKERADE IN QUEENSLAND
      18) ABP: RIDICULOUS DEATH?
      19) BUGARUP UNIVERSITY CAMPUS NEWSROUND
      20) THE CLACKS LOG OF WEIRD ALICE LANCREVIC

      12) NADWCON NEWS

      NADWCON, the North American Discworld Convention, now has over 200
      memberships with more participants signing on all the time! Sadly,
      the pre-April discount is no longer available, but at the current
      membership price of USD$70 per adult and USD$35 per child, it's still
      a great bargain. Also, a large number of hotel rooms have already
      been reserved -- that's forward planning in action. In addition to
      the GOH, a certain T. Pratchett OBE, and a stellar cast of confirmed
      guest stars, the Committee has started "working on the details for an
      additional guest or two and have started working on some special
      activities for the convention", as well as sending flyers to
      conventions across North America to continue spreading the word
      virally.

      Whether you're planning to attend or just interested in the process
      of a major convention from inception to kick-off, don't forget to
      visit the website at http://www.nadwcon.org to keep up with all the
      latest news and chat with other fans on the NADWCON message board.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      13) SECRETS OF THE WEE FREE MEN

      January Magazine reports that a new unofficial Discworld companion
      book, "Secrets of the Wee Free Men and Discworld" by Carrie Pyykkonen
      and Linda Washington, has been published by St Martin's Griffin.

      http://tinyurl.com/6mfh5f

      According to the Amazon blurb, the book is a "fun, interactive guide
      that will explore the land of Discworld. Secrets of The Wee Free Men
      and Discworld is filled with sidebars, mythology trivia, and includes
      a bio of the fascinating author Terry Pratchett, and an in-depth
      analysis of his work. This unofficial guide is a great resource for
      readers of The Wee Free Men and the other books of the Discworld
      series."

      http://tinyurl.com/6hafck

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      14) OH CANA-DISC

      Canadian fan Bryan Akazawa wants volunteers and helpful hints for
      starting a Canadian Discworld fans Guild:

      "I am a Canadian and a rabid Discworld fan. I wanted to know if there
      is a guild in Canada and if not, could I start one? I have never done
      something this big before but am up for the challenge as I believe
      Canada needs a proper one up and running and not just be a
      [subsidiary of] a US group, no offense to our lovely southern
      neighbours of course!"

      According to Bryan, Canadian fans tend to be rather passive and
      insufficiently enthusiastic. So what do you think, O Readers? If
      you're located in Canada and want to find other like-minded people
      there to sing the Morporkian anthem with and chat about things
      Pratchetty, this is your chance. Contact Bryan at

      troodon_luv28@...

      ...and get that Guild up and running, eh?

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      15) IMAGES OF THE MONTH: FABULOUS DISCWORLD FANART

      Below are some links to the Discworld fanart of a Filipino artist
      Ruben de Vela. See what you think:

      http://rubendevela.com/out/SQUEAK.jpg

      http://rubendevela.com/out/A_Hat_Full_of_Sky.jpg

      http://rubendevela.com/out/Angua.jpg

      I have to admit that his Angua picture is too manga-like for my own
      tastes (apparently this was intentional) - but even so, the kinetic
      qualities of the picture are stunning, as is the detail (check out
      the posters on the wall!). And Mr de Vela shows a wide range of
      stylistic mastery.

      Mr de Vela hopes to become a part of official Team Pratchett. He
      certainly gets my vote.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      16) MORT THE MUSICAL?!

      Youth Music Theatre UK will present a musical version of Mort in
      Guildford, Surrey, this coming August. Written by Jennifer Toksvig
      and directed by Clive Paget, with music by Dominic Haslam, this novel
      treatment of the book has been in development for the past two years

      Performances: Wednesday 20th - Saturday 23rd August, 8pm (matinees
      Thur & Sat 2pm)
      Rehearsal venue: Priors Field School, Godalming,
      Performance Venue: Yvonne Arnaud Theatre, Guildford

      To pre-book tickets, go to
      http://www.yvonne-arnaud.co.uk/stage.asp?s=413

      General info and cast list:
      http://ymtuk.org/mort08.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      17) MASKERADE IN QUEENSLAND

      The Javeenbah Community Theatre, on Australia's Gold Coast, present
      "Maskerade" - a fantasy comedy directed by Gillian Crow, based on
      Terry Pratchett's Discworld novel.

      Dates: 2nd - 17th May 2008

      Further details can be found on the Javeenbah Community Theatre's
      website: www.javeenbahtheatre.com.

      Please note that this web site requires the Macromedia Flash Plugin:
      http://tinyurl.com/zgkz2

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      18) DEATH: RIDICULOUS, OR JUST A MISUNDERSTOOD GUY?

      As seen on alt.books.pratchett

      In the Guardian interview, Stuart Jeffries wrote "His 36 Discworld
      books ... portray the Grim Reaper as a faintly ridiculous character
      with a horse named Binky and a fondness for curry." Is this a
      widespread view? Am I in the minority? I see Death as almost
      painfully human - kindhearted, muddled, given to actually doing
      things because they're right rather than paying lip service (not
      having lips no doubt makes it easier), having to make things up as he
      goes, ek setera. I don't see him as ridiculous at all, except perhaps
      with the sort of human ridiculousness that evokes a small, gentle,
      comradely smile from the discerning.

      -- A. Reader

      That would be how I would see it. Humans are often nicely ridiculous,
      like Death.

      -- Free Lunch

      I would sort of concur. Whilst I would not have put it like that, I
      am not sure how I would have put it. It is clear to me that the Death
      of Discworld is not the impassive Grim Reaper. He tries to imitate
      but without proper understanding. He's a bit like the ambassadors
      form Tsort in P! who try to dress to impress and to walk the walk,
      but end up missing the goal. Death is generally serious and staid,
      but his affectations are a bit wide of the mark with the effect that
      he is a real character.

      -- Reader in Invisible Writings

      He's a lovable character, which I suppose isn't the norm for the Grim
      Reaper. If you believe in a Grim Reaper, then the death of Diskworld
      isn't who you'd expect. He's a nice Death though. He seems to care
      more.

      - Richard

      I find him eccentric, but not ridiculous.

      -- Emma

      Is this one of those irregular verbs
      I am a bit eccentric
      You are a bit ridiculous
      He is slightly idiotic

      -- Reader in Invisible Writings

      I've always seen death as a pragmatist. He take no joy nor sorrow
      from his work. He moves through "The task that is before him" and
      does something necessary. I personally love the fact that he is, in
      fact, DEATH, but still loves kittens. He is the second oldest thing
      in the universe, has seen humanity at its most and its worst, and
      still can take comfort in the purr of a cat.

      Stuart Jefferies should be tied to a hot steel barrel and raped with
      a rusty railroad spike.....

      -- Nancy

      Human behaviour is often more than faintly ridiculous. I wouldn't
      describe Death that way, but I can empathise with the task of a
      newspaper columnist trying to fit his column inches without going
      into unnecessary clarificatory detail.

      > >Stuart Jefferies should be tied to a hot steel barrel and raped
      with a rusty railroad spike.....

      *That* attitude is excessively ridiculous, for instance. Watching you
      do that, Death would stare bemusedly while Albert made some caustic
      comment about human nature.

      -- Jaimie

      > > I am a bit eccentric

      Wait, so you're Death? :-)

      -- Emma

      I'd say the Discworld Death is absurd, in the literary sense.

      -- Esmeraldus

      As is most of Diskworld, but in an interesting echo of our world
      which is part of the reason it's so entertaining.

      -- Richard

      In the musical version of 'Mort', Death is Fred Astaire. Well, he has
      a song and dance routine a la Fred Astaire. I figured that if Death
      were going to be in a musical, he'd want to be played by the most
      famous song and dance man of all time. Which is faintly ridiculous,
      but also absolutely understandable, I think.

      In the same way, it is faintly ridiculous that Death chose a form of
      handwriting which demonstrates a balanced personality, but also
      perfectly understandable.

      -- Jen

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      19) AROUND THE BU CAMPUS

      From Asti:
      While watching the London Marathon yesterday, I noticed a fun-runner
      in an orangutan costume. I, of course, yelled "Go Librarian, Go!". As
      he/she/it passed me, I noticed the back of his/her/its t-shirt was
      advertising the Orangutan Trust UK.

      ***

      From Jehane the Weather Goddess: Nanny Ogg joins the union! Yes, it's
      true. In a recent edition of a major union newsletter a union
      Section Councillor was quoted as saying, "In acting my favourite part
      is the Terry Pratchett character Nanny Ogg, which I've played in four
      different plays."

      Fuzzy replied: I've met Nanny Ogg. She gets on my train sometimes.
      Looks exactly like I would imagine Nanny Ogg to look, although she
      doesn't wear a pointy hat. She does wear black though.

      ***

      Not to mention the ongoing Fernando fandom:

      A member of the Faculty:
      If Fernando were here, I'm sure he would be saddened that you could
      never be more than a pale shadow of his magnificence. Fernando, as
      well as being humble, is compassionate towards those who suffer under
      the burden of not being Fernando. Hmmm... if by chance Fernando *is*
      secretly reading this list, I give him permission to use that line in
      his horoscope.

      Asti: ::swoon:: MsA, Fernando Fan. BTW, is it just me or does anyone
      else read Fernando's horoscopes as if they are read by Puss in Boots?

      New Bruce:
      erm, in my head they're read by Manuel from Fawlty Towers

      Annie:
      I find they come out, in my head, sounding like Zlad
      http://www.molvania.com.au/molvania/eurovision_2004.html

      Asti:
      In the Shrek movies, Puss in Boots is voiced by Antonio Banderas and
      is Latin.

      PT:
      What? He's dead and unable to split infinitives?

      Someone else:
      "Quid semper faciet Antonio Banderas pro nostro?"

      New Bruce:
      Looks good in tight black trousers?

      Lora Craft:
      I'm sure it's nostrils. Looks good in tight black nostrils. That
      sounds about right.

      SteVen:
      I'm sure Fernando has magnificent nostrils.

      And in my head, he's 1 part Banderas, 2 parts Fabio, 1 part Ramone
      from a play Big Mad Adrian wrote, just a tiny bit of Zlad (no, not
      *that* tiny bit!!!) and is absolutely NOT from Barcelona.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      20) THE CLACKS LOG OF WEIRD ALICE LANCREVIC

      Post 11. THE GANG'S ALL HERE...NOT

      First Clog: "Despatches from the front and sides..."

      Greetings from Pseudopolis! Well, from the suburbs of Pseudopolis.
      All right, the suburb. Though the city is growing fast these days,
      they say. Of course, I've never been here before, but it's not what
      I'd call a megalopolis, so there's plenty of room for growth. Nowhere
      near as sleepy and boring as Quirm though! We spent a few weeks there
      after I got back to myself, as it were, but Cert thought that moving
      on would be a good idea and he was right. I found it very strange,
      being in a place I'd been in for most of my life but never been to
      before; everything was familiar -- too familiar -- and yet all
      different. No Oolstacky Fried Albatross, for a start. No underground
      resistance fighters either...just everyday life and the semi-
      invisible hand of Ankh-Morpork's renowned commercial empire in every
      shop and market. Also, the place is full of tourists. And buskers.
      Some of them singing my songs!

      The last time I saw A-M, the *other* A-M, it was just starting to
      rise again, phoenix-like, from the post-RPI ruins. I definitely want
      to go back (if spending a few heart-stopping minutes dashing in and
      out of doors in Empirical Crescent counts as going there in the first
      place) and see it as it's always been in *this* reality, but as we
      were relatively close to Pseudopolis, that's where our resumed
      journey took us first. Pseudopolis has always seemed like a place
      where people are *from* rather than *of*, and no Pseudopolitans I've
      ever met were at all keen on going back. So here we are, and there's
      what amounts to an undeclared festival going on in the city: a
      busking competition and a Thud tournament, plus all manner of Olde
      Folkwayes activities -- yes, that includes Morris dancing. We're
      staying at The Plains Hostel, an inn about four miles from the city
      walls, because it's cheap...the trouble with falling back through a
      magical rift in the multiverse is that you can't take it (any "it")
      with you, especially not money! Cert was odd-jobbing in Quirm while
      he waited for me, a spell here and a potion there, but we're now
      fairly hand-to-mouth and I don't like relying on him anyway. Luckily,
      there's a branch of Goatberger's in Pseud, so I should be able to get
      some royalties Clacksed through there.

      Speaking of the Clacks, I have news from the old travelling gang! A
      number of messages got forwarded to Quirm while I was "away". It
      seems quite a lot has happened to my erstwhile companions since we
      parted company, and since the recent drop in C-mail rates means
      people no longer have to abbreviate and leave out little things like
      punctuation, no translation is required. I've had my imp copy them
      across into this post. There's one from Listeria Curtsey...