WOSSNAME - MARCH 2008 - PART 2 of 4

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25 2:46 PM
      WOSSNAME -- MARCH 2008 -- PART 2 OF 4 (continued)

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS AND THE SUCH

      5) THE COLOUR OF MAGIC PREMIERE AND BROADCAST
      6) AND THEY SAW STARS: PTERRY OPENS PLANETARIUM
      7) ...AND PAYS TRIBUTE TO ARTHUR C. CLARKE
      8) DWCON UPDATES
      9) DISCWORLD CHARACTER PHOTO CONTEST
      10) MASKERADE IN LIVERPOOL
      11) MAKING MONEY: LIFE IMITATES ART!
      12) MORT IN MORNINGTON: A REVIEW

      5) THE COLOUR OF MAGIC: IT'S...LIVELY

      Once again, there's a veritable conrucopia of articles and videos and
      whatnot, so here is a selection of many...

      ACTION REPLAY FOR UK VIEWERS

      DOCUMENTARY: Making of The Colour of Magic
      Channel: Sky Three

      'Take a sneaky peek behind the scenes of Terry Pratchett's The Colour
      of Magic. Meet the cast and crew of this spectacular production,
      starring Sir David Jason, Sean Astin and Tim Curry.'

      The original screen date: Saturday 15th March 2008, 13:00 to 14:00,
      but you can catch the final repeat of the programme on Thursday 27
      March. Check your telly guide for the time -- I don't know whether it
      will be an afternoon or an evening broadcast!

      ***

      Home-shire-boy-makes-good article from the Bucks Free press:
      http://tinyurl.com/36zmq4
      "Terry, who was born in Beaconsfield and began his writing career as
      a journalist for The Bucks Free Press, describes The Colour Of Magic
      as 'basically a buddy movie'." [It must be a great feeling to have
      your first employer come to you to request an interview! -- Ed.]

      ***

      Jeremy Irons as Vetinari (with Wuffles):
      http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/article871847.ece

      ***

      DW Monthly editor Jason Anthony's review of the premiere:
      http://tinyurl.com/2khcgc
      "Oh, did I mention, the fan extras got their names in the credits?"

      ***

      BBC video feature: "Author Terry Pratchett and David Jason on the
      forthcoming adaptation of The Colour of Magic."
      http://tinyurl.com/3x93ck

      ***

      Very fun and funny transcript of onstage Q&A with David Jason, Terry
      Pratchett, Sean Astin, and Vadim Jean after the premiere:
      http://tinyurl.com/35segd
      "Ok, the budget was small. Not a large budget. Basically, Arnold
      Schwarzenegger's cigar bill."

      ***

      New edition of tCom original novel:
      http://www.marketingweek.co.uk/item/59986/254/260/3
      "The book is being re-issued with the Sky advertising creative on the
      cover and will be sold exclusively through the Borders book chain. It
      is thought to be the first time a multichannel programme has featured
      on a book jacket in this way. Borders will also run in-store
      marketing for the programme."

      ***

      A good review following the tCoM private cinema premiere:
      http://denofgeek.com/television/13413/the_colour_of_magic_review.html

      ***

      "You, sir, are a knight..."
      http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/a90732/pratchett-kneels-for-sir-
      david-jason.html

      ***

      Promotional pictures from RHI:
      http://www.rhifilms.com/property.php?propertyId=CofMagic&page=photos

      ***

      Jeremy Irons article:
      http://tinyurl.com/2mb5mh

      ***

      ...and because there's always someone putting something up on the
      anternet...NUDGE NUDGE, WINK WINK:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwOowHV88wQ
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov4ER1HwbyU

      ***

      FUN BITS FOR THOSE WHO CAN'T GET THE CoM BROADCAST YET

      Karen David, a.k.a. Liessa Dragonlady, learning to swordfight for the
      movie:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIlk5jxzQoA

      ...and here she is learning to swordfight UPSIDE DOWN!

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vqz--2a1Ns

      ...and here's her member page on YouTube:
      http://www.youtube.com/user/KarenDavidTV

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      6) AND THEY SAW STARS

      As mentioned in last month's issue, Terry Pratchett and Sir Patrick
      Moore were due to open the UK's largest planetarium, at the INTECH
      Science Centre in Winchester, on 19th March. And indeed they did!
      Read all about it in the Hampshire Chronicle online (includes a video
      link):

      http://tinyurl.com/3yh9c5

      Or, if this doesn't work, try:

      http://www.thisishampshire.net/search/display.var.2133889.0.pratchett
      _opens_new_planetarium_in_winchester.php

      which links to a video clip of the opening.

      If the video page "can't be found", try again, it usually comes good
      on the second or third attempt. Failing that, try this link:

      http://www.hampshirechronicle.co.uk/news/video/index.var.23132.0.0.
      php

      For those without access to Windows Video Player, you can access the
      video clip by pointing an mms-compatible video player to:

      mms://newsquest.coullmedia.com/newsquest/southampton/hcplanet_190308
      .wmv

      (e.g. mplayer is available for free on Windows, Macintosh and Linux.)

      And in a related note...

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      7) PTERRY PAYS TRIBUTE TO ARTHUR C. CLARKE

      http://www.fromrimtohub.com/?p=398

      "Most notably, I think he was probably the first science fiction
      writer to break out of the science fiction ghetto," Pratchett told
      the BBC Radio 4 Today programme.

      Also, gleaned from the news by New Bruce of Bugarup University:

      "Terry Pratchett, a fellow science fiction author, said Clarke was
      the first writer to break out of the genre. 'Before *2001*, you could
      see the string, you could see what was holding the rocket ships up.
      The first time you saw it you thought, "Here's something totally
      new",' Pratchett said.

      Pratchett said Clarke's authority came from his engineering
      background. '(He)put some science into science fiction.'"

      -- The Times (in the Weekend Australian).

      ...and also this item, pointed out by Martinus of BU:

      Here is the BBC report of Arthur C. Clarke's funeral, including an
      audio link to Terry Pratchett's thoughts on the man and his
      significance:

      8) DWCON 2008 UPDATES

      If you were planning to sign up for the Discworld Convention 2008:

      http://www.dwcon.org

      and if you haven't yet done so then I suggest you mail
      membership@... and/or info@... urgently, membership is
      selling out even earlier than the last few occasions.

      The online membership application is now closed, the last few spaces
      and a few transfers are being handled by the membership secretary at
      the moment.

      A quick mail now will get you an early spot on the wait list or
      possibly a membership but leave it any longer and the prospects are
      not good.

      ***

      In answer to a number of questions anticipating Guilds and Guild
      activities at the 2008 Convention our all new, singing and dancing
      Guild team say:

      "There will be guilds operating at the convention, and, like before,
      they are there to let you mingle and make new friends (nothing
      cements a friendship like preparing and executing the rite of
      AshkEnte together).

      If you are now worried about what this means, don't be, as we have a
      team specifically set up to help and manage the guilds. This team
      will give full details of what guilds there are and how things will
      work on 15th March"

      -- from Karen of DWCon

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      9) DISCWORLD CHARACTER PHOTO CONTEST! FOR UK/IRELAND DWELLERS ONLY

      "Celebrate the 25th anniversary of Terry Pratchett's first novel,
      The Colour of Magic, with our brilliant competition. Send us a
      photograph of yourself dressed as your favourite Pratchett character
      for the chance to win an iPod loaded with the Discworld audio back
      catalogue."

      http://tinyurl.com/2v4kqs

      (Entries must be received by midday on 19th May, 2008)

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      10) MASKERADE IN LIVERPOOL

      Alsopdrama will be performing Maskerade on 10th, 11th and 12th April
      2008 at Crosby Civic Hall, Liverpool Road North, Liverpool L22 OLQ.

      Tickets: £8 and £6
      Box office: 01704540011

      http://www.alsopdrama.co.uk/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      11) MAKING MONEY: LIFE IMITATES ART!

      Moist von Lipwig would totally understand this one:

      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7294665.stm

      "Ethiopia's national bank has been told to inspect all the gold in
      its vaults to determine its authenticity. It follows the discovery
      that some of the "gold" it had bought for millions of dollars was
      gold-plated steel."

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      12) MORT IN MORNINGTON: A REVIEW
      by Mogg

      As a long-time fan of the Discworld books, I was always a little
      sceptical about Discworld plays, doubting that the wonderful detail
      and colour of the novels could be successfully translated into the
      medium of theatre. However, first-time director Damian Perry was so
      politely enthusiastic on the OZDW mailing list and in Wossname that
      a friend and I decided to take a trip down to the Mornington
      Peninsula, an hour or so south of Melbourne, for the recent Rosebud
      Astral Theatre Society production of Mort, based on the Stephen
      Briggs adaptation.

      I must say that I was quite impressed overall. Rosebud Astral is
      clearly an amateur group, but they put a lot of thought and effort
      into this production, particularly the staging and costuming. The
      sets were quite minimalist, but attention to detail and little
      Discworld references were appreciated, right down to "I ate'nt
      dead!" on one of Princess Keli's posters and the interval music, 'A
      Wizard's Staff' from the 'From the Discworld' album by Dave
      Greenslade (which isn't anywhere near beer- swilling, stein-waving or
      foot-stomping enough in my opinion, but never mind!) Death's face
      and his glowing eyes and scythe were excellent, and Binky was
      represented by the simple but effective means of a projection.
      Footnotes and explanations were done as asides by the characters or
      as small narrations, and were generally fairly smooth, although some
      of the explanations would perhaps have flowed better and been
      clearer to the audience if they had been inserted into the dialogue.

      A large proportion of the cast were clearly quite young but all
      offered consistently good performances. Ash Cooper (Mort) did a very
      good job (particularly with his voice) of showing Mort's development
      over the course of the play, although his foot-shuffling at the
      beginning gave him the appearance of standing barefoot on hot sand
      rather than indicating general awkwardness. We did also wonder why he
      had pink hair! He worked very well with Emily Aulich (a creditable
      Ysabell), and their scene by the pond in Death's garden in
      particular was wonderful.

      Tom Harris (Albert, complete with frying pan and green-sounding
      cough) was superb. Sam Noonan made a charming Igneous Cutwell, and
      Leanne Douglas did a good job making Princess Keli both imperious
      and rather petulant. Special mention also goes to Tom Gully, who
      played several minor roles including King Olerve, Liona Keeble the
      job broker, and the Sun Emperor. Jesse Holt, the young actor who
      played Rincewind (among other characters) looked like he might
      actually have been Rincewind as a teenager!

      In fact, my only major acting gripe is reserved for Colin Marshall as
      Death. He was often quite stilted and stiff and muffed his lines on
      more than one occasion. He wasn't the only one (was a little more
      rehearsal required?), but he was certainly the most noticeable and
      it was inexcusable in such a major role -- particularly as he is the
      character explaining what is going on, in a plot which does require
      a fair bit of explanation for much of the first half of the the
      story. His voice was also somewhat muffled due to his mask, which is
      a more difficult problem to overcome, and a trifle too much echo
      effect made it more indistinct. Unfortunately this led to more than
      one overheard conversation at interval to the effect of "I
      couldn't quite follow what was going on" from audience members
      unfamiliar with the story. Some attention to a few little details
      such as pronunciation, and turning toward the audience when wearing
      a hat or hood so that faces are not entirely obscured, by all members
      of the cast wouldn't have gone astray, either. Fortunately, the
      second half was much better -- in fact, it rocked along very nicely,
      with everybody appearing more relaxed, the dialogue flowing better
      and far fewer stumbles.

      All in all, it was a very enjoyable attempt, with the good qualities
      overshadowing the few flaws. It wasn't a perfect job but it was
      mostly pretty good, particularly for those already familiar with the
      plot. Had the standard of attention to detail that went into the
      staging also gone into getting the dialogue and sound, it would have
      been absolutely fabulous.

      Congratulations to Damian and the cast and crew, and I hope they
      decide to try some more Pratchett in future!

      SOME IMAGES FROM MORT!!!

      Taken by Mogg, presented on Flickr for your pleasure with the
      permission of Damian Perry:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/24967637@N08/sets/72157604200609999/

      [Note: Death was "stilted and stiff"? Sounds about right to me! --
      Ed.]

      If you did not get all four parts, write: interact@...