WOSSNAME - MARCH 2008 - PART 1 of 5

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2008
      MARCH 2008 (Volume 11, Issue 3)
      WOSSNAME is a FREE publication for members of the worldwide
      Editor Emeritus (retd): Joseph Schaumburger
      News Editor: T.F. (Tiff) Peasey
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      Puzzle Editor: incognito
      Emergency Staff: Jason Parlevliet, Nathan Clissold, Dylan Williams
      World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano

      ====Part 1 -- ALL THE NEWS THAT FITS

      1) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
      2) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      3) PTERRY'S DONATION, AND APPEALS TO DISCWORLD FANS
      4) IMAGE OF THE MONTH: ONE MAN AND HIS HAT

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS

      5) THE COLOUR OF MAGIC PREMIERE AND BROADCAST
      6) AND THEY SAW STARS: PTERRY OPENS PLANETARIUM...
      7) ...AND PAYS TRIBUTE TO ARTHUR C. CLARKE
      8) DWCON UPDATES
      9) DISCWORLD CHARACTER PHOTO CONTEST
      10) MASKERADE IN LIVERPOOL
      11) MAKING MONEY: LIFE IMITATES ART?
      12) MORT IN MORNINGTON: A REVIEW

      ====Part 3 -- B.U. NEWS AND WEIRD ALICE AND...STUFF

      13) BUGARUP UNIVERSITY CAMPUS NEWSROUND
      14) BOOK NEWS: YOUR TO-BUY LIST!
      15) THE WEARING OF THE LILAC
      16) SCUMBLE FESTIVAL IN FOURECKS
      17) TECHNOMANCY CORNER: 'NIGHT WATCH' FOR LINUX USERS
      18) THE CLACKS LOG OF WEIRD ALICE LANCREVIC

      ====Part 4 -- HOROSCOPE, AND CLOSE

      19) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      1) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

      "I'm nearly 60 and I've never been nearly 60 before so I'm not sure
      if some of the things happening to me are Alzheimer's or getting
      older. Nor is anyone else." -- Terry Pratchett

      "Part of me lives in a world of new age remedies and science, and
      some of the science is a little like voodoo, but science was never an
      exact science, and personally I'd eat the arse out of a dead mole if
      it offered a fighting chance." -- TP (speaking at the Alzheimer's
      Research Trust annual conference)

      "People ask me why I announced that I had Alzheimer's. My response
      was: why shouldn't I? I remember when people died 'of a long
      illness'; now we call cancer by its name, and as every wizard knows,
      once you have a thing's real name you have the first step to its
      taming." -- ibid

      "Even though my sales are huge there must be some people who don't
      read me; I'm certain that there are people who can go and visit them,
      and help them." -- TP (speaking with tongue firmly in cheek at the
      Colour of Magic post-premiere Q&A)

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      2) A LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

      Well, now...welcome to the most news-packed issue of WOSSNAME in all
      the years I've been associated with this publication! Certainly it's
      the most news-packed issue of my editorship, which is rapidly
      approaching the end of a full year (good grief). Between Pterry's
      marvellous donation to Alzheimer's research and his other activities,
      and the premiere of The Colour of Magic on Sky One this previous
      weekend, the aether has been positively choked with Pratchett and
      Discworld-related wossnames -- and as the wossnames go, so goes the
      WOSSNAME.

      O Discworld fans, have you put your spare change in for a good cause
      yet? In the words of one person I know, "It'd be a nice birthday/25th
      anniversary of Discworld gift for Terry if the fans could match his
      donation." In addition to *my* spare change, I've put in a lot of
      time collecting and checking out various links to all the articles
      and interviews out there in Pterryland. So in addition to reading all
      the usual news, views and reviews, get your Hex mousies ready to
      click, click, click!

      I'd like to give special thanks to all the various people who sent in
      links and information. Here we go...

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      3) THE ALZHEIMER'S THING: PTERRY'S DONATION, AND WHAT THE REST OF US CAN
      DO TO HELP

      PTERRY'S SPEECH TO THE ALZHEIMER'S TRUST

      There is a 15-minute video clip on the BBC, best found by entering
      the search term 'Pratchett' on the BBC website, or by following this
      link:

      http://tinyurl.com/2cp3t8

      Currently it's the third clip in the list in the panel.
      Unfortunately, there's no direct link to this, so if the Beeb move
      the video's location, you may have to look at bit longer for
      "Alzheimer's research donation".

      There is also a link to Pterry's exclusive BBC radio appearance, on
      the same page; this is currently on the Listen Again online playlist:

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/listenagain/ram/today3_0750_200803
      13.ram

      You can download a transcript of the speech at the Alzheimer's
      Research Trust Conference, in .pdf form, here:

      http://tinyurl.com/2uggrk

      ...but you'll miss the informal preamble ("Mankind was designed to
      live until we were 28, but we redesigned ourselves...") and thus miss
      some of the wonderfully biting Pratchett humour.

      ********

      RECORD AMOUNT OF DONATIONS!

      'The charity received donations from as far as the US and Peru, as
      well as closer to home, since Pratchett spoke about his battle with
      the disease last Thursday. A spokesman said: "Even £1 a month is
      fantastic. £12.50 is enough to fund an hour of cutting-edge research
      into dementia. The amount we have had is a record for such a short
      period of time.'

      http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5jAAMv1JBLrG7gATqtfyh77ImEW9g

      ********

      MATCH IT FOR PRATCHETT

      For those who didn't already know, sci-fi author Pat Cadigan has
      started up a matching-funds donation initiative called "Match It for
      Pratchett!"

      http://fastfwd.livejournal.com/316828.html

      There is now a dedicated "Match it for Pratchett" website:
      http://www.matchitforpratchett.org/

      However...

      *NOTICE: RE MATCH IT FOR PRATCHETT*

      (this is from Pterry himself)

      "As far as we are concerned this is not official, and if we don't
      think its official, it aint. I hate to appear to be in any way
      negative about what appears to be very good intentions, but I could
      wish that the gentleman concerned had got in touch with us first
      before going ahead.

      "I have to say there are certain things that worry me about this
      project, not because they are in any way fraudulent, but raising and
      distributing money for charity can involve rather more problems than
      seem apparent at the start – especially in the loveable volatile
      world we know as fandom.

      "Most of the £13,000 raised since last Thursday has been sent to
      the Alzheimer's Research Trust
      (https://www.committedgiving.uk.net/art/public/donor.aspx?id=cc)
      directly, which at least has the benefit of being straight forward.

      "All the best."

      from http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11436

      That said, the first item on the matchitforpratchett.org page does
      link directly to

      https://www.committedgiving.uk.net/art/public/donor.aspx?id=cc

      And there are lovely t-shirts for sale. So it's not a bad thing!

      ********

      FROM BOINGBOING TO THE BBC AND BACK...

      News of Mr Pratchett's illness, his huge donation to Alzheimer's
      research, and the way his millions of fans are reacting and
      responding to the call for more funds to investigate and treat
      Alzheimer's disease, has spread around Roundworld from low to high,
      and the internet is awash with articles and sites and discussions of
      this. There are so many links, with so many different modes of
      expression, that you'll be spoilt for choice. Here are but a few:

      Terry Pratchett's million-dollar wish to give battle against ...
      Times Online - UK
      "So will there be more Discworld adaptations? 'I shall be 60 next
      birthday, so why not have some fun?' he says evenly."

      http://tinyurl.com/352ob2

      ---

      Pratchett in $1m donation as he hits out over care for Alzheimer's
      Scotsman - UK
      Contains a lively comments thread

      http://tinyurl.com/368v6p

      ---

      Pratchett funds Alzheimer's study
      BBC News - UK
      "Rebecca Wood, chief executive of the Alzheimer's Research Trust,
      said the trust currently had to turn down two out of every three
      research projects due to lack of funds. She said: 'Whilst we were
      deeply saddened to learn of Mr Pratchett's diagnosis, we are
      delighted that he has chosen to speak out about his experiences with
      Alzheimer's disease, to raise awareness about its impact and the
      desperate need for more research. Research is the only way to beat
      this disease and help people like Terry - to prevent them losing
      their thinking skills and keep them doing the things they love.'"

      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7291315.stm

      ---

      Pratchett gives 5000,000 pounds to Alzheimer's charity
      Reuters UK
      "Pratchett, who has sold tens of millions of books around the world,
      announced in December he has a rare form of the disease. 'Soon after
      I told the world, my Web site fell over,' he said. 'I had more than
      60,000 messages in the first few hours.'"

      http://uk.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUKL1292770120080313

      ---

      An appeal from Cory Doctorow on BoingBoing:
      http://www.boingboing.net/2008/03/15/match-it-for-pratche.html
      "So whaddaya say, guys? It's a pound. That's about 2 bucks US
      dollars, give or take a couple of (US) pennies. You can spare that
      much."

      ---

      Luggage auction! The Luggage as seen in tCoM, filled with Discworld
      goodies:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220213825671

      Now closed, I'm afraid.

      GREAT NEWS: the winning bid was GBP 3,667.42 -- approximately
      US$7,271.03)!

      ---

      The articles are flooding in thick and fast that I'm starting to lose
      track of what's what, so there may be some duplicates in these lists,
      but I've tried to visit each link to check it out for you. Several of
      the links contain video/audio interviews.

      http://www.itv.com/News/Articles/Pratchett-donates-to-Alzheimers-
      work.html
      "It's a shock and a shame, then, to find out that money for research
      is 3 per cent of that which goes to find cancer cures. Perhaps that
      is why, for example, that I know three people who have successfully
      survived brain tumours but no-one who has beaten Alzheimer's."

      http://skynews.typepad.com/afternoonlive/2008/03/terry-pratchett.
      html
      "Fantasy author Terry Pratchett chatted to us yesterday..." (with
      embedded short video interview)

      http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/100707.php
      "'Fans of the Discworld author should know that the international
      drugs industry is already on the case in a major way,' said Dr
      Richard Barker, Director General of the ABPI."

      http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/articles/0,,2265294,00.html
      "His popularity prevents him being seen as one of our great
      satirists." An excellent article containing both timely information
      and a lot of well-presented biographical stuff, including How Pterry
      Met Colin [Smythe] and a succinct bullet-point CV.

      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2008/03/
      16/do1604.xml
      "Terry Pratchett, author of Britain's most shoplifted novels..."

      http://books.guardian.co.uk/interviews/story/0%2c%2c2266270%2c00.
      html
      "I'm a typical bloody writer. Maybe all of us have had Alzheimer's
      for years without realising it."

      http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/redir.php?from=ec&to=2088132&l=
      terry_pratchett
      or http://tinyurl.com/2mpmrd
      "I started off feeling so alone and then I began to rattle cages. You
      can't be ashamed of an illness."

      http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/display.var.2119242.0.Pratchett_
      donates_500_000_to_help_fight_Alzheimers.php
      or http://tinyurl.com/3xpjlb
      "With dementia levels in Scotland set to rise by 75% in the next 25
      years, the writer behind the Discworld fantasy books spoke out
      against the patchy provision for sufferers..."

      http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/articles/0,,2265294,00.html

      http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/2008/03/14/i-raged-at-god-
      over-this-alzheimer-s-but-i-ve-never-felt-so-alive-i-m-so-angry-
      89520-20350448/
      or http://tinyurl.com/33k5tj
      "People laugh about senior moments - about forgetting names and
      losing things," he says. "But it's like wearing a balaclava helmet
      under my skin."

      4) IMAGE OF THE MONTH: ONE MAN AND HIS HAT

      A Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike photo from Myrmi's Flickr
      stream

      http://flickr.com/photos/area/15294909/

      If you did not get all four parts, write: interact@...