Second mailing attempt - please let me know if you got it

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2000
      December 2000 (Volume 4 Issue 12)

      WOSSNAME is a FREE publication for members of the Klatchian Foreign Legion
      and its affiliates, including the North American Discworld Society and
      other continental groups.  Are you a member? Yes, if you sent in your e-mail
      address.  Are there any dues?  No.  Dues are only required if you want to
      join the Guild of Fans and Disciples and receive  discounts on books and
      other items sometimes available through their bulk purchases.

      Editor in Chief: Joseph Schaumburger
      Staff Writers:
      Geof Johns
      Michael Jones
      Art Director : Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director: Becky Swaney
      Convention News Editor: Megan Perry
      Webmaster:  Paul Wilkins, disk@...

      Thought for the Day

      Part 1
      1. Convention News
      2. People
      Part 2
      3. Books
      4. Hedgehogs
      5. Art
      Part 3
      6. Comedy 101
      7. Assorted Goodies
      8. Accusations of Literature
      9. Obscure World Facts
      10. Letters

      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and
      taste good dipped in chocolate.

      -- Lady Mæritta SØrensdother, Indiana, USA

      The KFL is pleased to announce the appointment of Megan Perry,
      of  Texas, USA as Chairman of the KFL Discworldcon

      Bulletin No. 1

      At this time, we would like to confirm the rumors that may have reached ears,
      sound holes, and vibration detection machinery that the Klatchian Foreign
      Legion is, indeed, planning a DW convention in the  USA, which we plan
      to call the DiscWorldCon

      It will be held within the next 2-3 years, depending on what's available in
      hotel area, and the response of the KFL membership.  As planning is still in
      its 'baby stages', I cannot accept checks at this time, but would like to
      that if anyone has any ideas, thoughts, or would like to volunteer to help
      in any way (joining committees, telling me I'm doing an awesome job, etc.)
      Your correspondence and your ideas are welcome. If you write, please
      include your name, address and e-mail address, so we can contact you.
      I can be reached at FleurDeDisc888@...

      Thank you.

      Megan Perry

      Yes, I'd like to volunteer to help with the proposed

      City...................................State or Province....................

      Postal Code/Zip..............................Phone............................

      E-mail address ..............................................................

      Here's how I'd like to help:

      What Terry Pratchett thinks about the idea:

      Well, the *next*  (tour)  is likely to be in May.  The one after that?
      Not for 18 months at least, I guess.
      > I see it as a Pratchett Worldcon, though.  We are
      > not (and never were) limited just to the US.  Even
      > at the beginning we had Canadian members, and
      > now have Mexican members as well.  Beyond that,
      >  there are members in about 37 other countries,
      > some in quite substantial numbers.

      Sure.  But a UK DWcon will get people from Holland, Ireland, Germany, etc,
      as a matter of course; a one-hour flight from London will get you into a
      *lot* of countries, and these days Europeans travel around quite happily.
      Stephen Briggs and myself flew over to Dusseldolf a few months ago *just
      for the evening*.
      > When the SF Worldcons began, they were very
      > small and almost entirely US fans.

      Well, yeah...because they were in the US, and travel was horrendously
      expensive.  Travel is *not* so expensive now, but fans aren't, generally,
      rich -- they don't cross the Atlantic very readily, in either direction.

      > We are much nearer to Oz and NZ than the UK is, so it should
      >be less effort for them to get here.

      In theory, yes...at least if it's West Coast.  In practice, because of the
      classic links with the UK, it's probably easier and maybe even cheaper
      for them to get to the UK.

      The real reason I'm hinky about the 'Worldcon' name is that, to me and
      probably also to you, 'Worldcon' has overtones and raises expectations
      that it'll be *very* hard to meet.  After all, you will be relying on the
      publisher to bring over your GoH -- and even quite small cons in the US
      will usually fly foreign guests over on their own dollar -- so will you be
      able to afford *any* other guests?  A Worldcon normally drips with them
      and had, in addition, hundreds of attendees each of whom is a 'draw' in
      their own right.

      The point isn't that I don't think the US could run a decent DW con, but
      that calling it a Worldcon *given the way in which Worldcons are now
      perceived* might be like starting out in boxing with a name like World
      Champion.  Of course, you could call it "Discworld Con", which should
      cover everything:-)

      > Are there any states or cities you would
      > recommend as suitable  con sites?

      What do I know?  The last tour was good everywhere, but the West Coast
      would probably be best.
      > Well, as you point out, the lady has enthusiasm,
      > and that's the best place to start.

      That's great.  Over the years, though, I've dealt with cons brimming with
      really enthusiastic people that crashed and burned (four times) simply
      disappeared without trace (once) moved around so much because of a shitty
      hotel contract that eventually I couldn't go (twice) stiffed me of my
      travels exes because one enthusiast was a thief (once) or because the
      organisers had the financial acumen of pig dribble (once).  Any long-time
      pro will probably tell the same story.  With the exception of the thief,
      no one in the above litany was anything worse than a fan who had bitten
      off more than they could , currently, chew.

      This sounds very negative, but at some of those cons I longed to put my
      arm around the guys and point out the simple things they had done wrong.
      They really need, say, a treasurer who knew how to read a balance sheet,
      or someone who could speak 'hotel negotiation language'...

      I'll help a con in any way I can, but even a smallish one takes up a lot
      of time for a lot of people.  Remember that Millenicon, organising the 3rd
      DW con in the 'home' country, where there were already the better part of
      1,000 fans 'habituated', managed to crash (and was only able to return all
      subs in full because I helped them out).  Even experienced conrunners trip

      2) PEOPLE

      >  AUSTRALIAN JINGLE BELLS
      >  Dashing through the bush,
      >  in a rusty Holden Ute,
      >  Kicking up the dust,
      >  esky in the boot,
      >  Kelpie by my side,
      >  singing Christmas songs,
      >  It's Summer time and I am in
      >  my singlet, shorts and thongs
      >  Oh! Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way,
      >  Christmas in Australia on a scorching summers day, Hey!
      >  Jingle bells, jingle bells, Christmas time is beaut !,
      >  Oh what fun it is to ride in a rusty Holden Ute.
      >  Engine's getting hot;
      >  we dodge the kangaroos,
      >  The swaggie climbs aboard,
      >  he is welcome too.
      >  All the family's there,
      >  sitting by the pool,
      >  Christmas Day the Aussie way,
      >  by the barbecue.
      >  Oh! Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way,
      >  Christmas in Australia on a scorching summers day, Hey!
      >  Jingle bells, jingle bells, Christmas time is beaut!,
      >  Oh what fun it is to ride in a rusty Holden Ute.
      >  Come the afternoon,
      >  Grandpa has a doze,
      >  The kids and Uncle Bruce,
      >  are swimming in their clothes.
      >  The time comes 'round to go,
      >  we take the family snap,
      >  Pack the car and all shoot through,
      >  before the washing up.
      >  Oh! Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way,
      >  Christmas in Australia on a scorching summers day, Hey!
      >  Jingle bells, jingle bells, Christmas time is beaut!,
      >  Oh what fun it is to ride in a rusty Holden Ute.

      -- Bek Partington

      > > And from the dark recesses of the northern hemisphere, a lone Welsh voice,
      > > unheard for many an evening cried out:
      > >
      > > A Merry Christmas to all, and a Happy New Year
      > >
      > > or, if you prefer,
      > >
      > > Nadolig Llawen, a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda
      > >
      > > Love to all, and free choccy biccies (virtual, of course) to you all.
      > >
      > > Love Medusa XXX

      > >actually I have some pretty awesome news....but I can;t tell you all
      > >yet....it's a surprise *giggle*
      >Nuclear attack on Parliament house?

      No, that's next week..

      >Terrorists dump $10 billion in treasury in return for right to kill John
      >Howard slowly and painfully? [If so, I move we refund half to them]

      Only half?

      >TELL... Before the end of the day...

      Well, it's actually a couple of days past now, but anyway...

      It's official (we heard from the doctors Saturday afternoon while we were in
      Hervey Bay)...

      providing all goes well....

      ...Evan and I will be welcoming a little bundle of joy into the family (gee,
      all two of us...) in august <grin>

      A bit of a surprise, but we're pretty excited now the shock has worn off :)

      there you go <grin> I told you ...

      Naomi Callaghan