WOSSNAME - JANUARY 2008 - PART 1 of 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2008
      JANUARY 2008 (Volume 11, Issue 1)
      your name, country and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No. As a
      member of the Klatchian Foreign Legion, you'd only forget them...
      Editor Emeritus (retd): Joseph Schaumburger
      News Editor: T.F. (Tiff) Peasey
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      Puzzle Editor: incognito
      DW Horoscope: Lady Anaemia Asterisk
      Emergency Staff: Jason Parlevliet, Nathan Clissold, Dylan Williams
      World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano

      ====Part 1 -- ALL THE NEWS THAT FITS

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH
      2) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      3) HOGSWATCH MISSIVE FROM PTERRY
      4) BATH LITERATURE FESTIVAL
      5) UPDATE: COLOUR OF MAGIC CAST LIST
      6) PRATCHETT PIECES AT ADELAIDE FRINGE
      7) WYRD SISTERS IN HENLEY
      8) MORT IN MORNINGTON
      9) CALLING ALL SEAMSTRESSES
      10) WHATEVER BECAME OF TROLL BRIDGE?

      ====Part 2 -- DISC ODDITIES...

      11) IMAGE(S) OF THE MONTH
      12) ANOTHER B.S. JOHNSON
      13) BUGARUP UNIVERSITY CAMPUS NEWSROUND
      14) MAKING MONEY IN ROUNDWORLD: THE FARTHING
      15) ACTION REPLAY: THE UNOFFICIAL COMPANION CONTEST

      ====Part 3 -- ...AND THE REST

      16) THE CLACKS LOG OF...
      17) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH

      "The trouble with all the aliens he'd seen was that they either
      wanted to eat you or play music at you until you became better
      people. You never got the sort that just wanted to do something
      ordinary like borrow the lawn mower."

      -- Only You Can Save Mankind

      Well, here we are with a whole fresh year to hedgehog up! I hope you
      all enjoyed your holiday season and got lots of pressies, especially
      if they were Discworld books.

      January has been a quiet month, without much in the way of big
      dramatic news -- thank Io! -- and accordingly, this is a quiet
      issue. Weird Alice is still apparently not quite herself; Lady
      Asterisk has an apprentice Astrologer, and there are a number of
      forthcoming Discworld-y events worth noting.

      Stay wrapped up warm, if you're on the upper half of Roundworld, and
      don't forget the sunscreen if you're in the continent of XXXX or the
      Land of Fog...or a troll, in either half. Enjoy!

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      3) PTERRYNEWS

      HOGSWATCH WISHES FROM THE MASTER

      In case any of you missed this update, Pterry posted the following
      missive online:

      Folks,

      We have had many tens of thousands of e-mails from people and the
      letter flood is just beginning to bite (hilariously, spam traps here
      tend to pick up things like 'medication' and treat quite a lot of
      the mail as spam. If we switch them off, we get all the spam too -
      hurrah!). All this good will is appreciated, although there is no
      way on gods earth that I will be able to reply to even a fraction of
      you. I would like people to bear in mind that I have been diagnosed
      quite early after an MRI scan and a whole afternoon of tests. While
      nothing is certain, one does not have to be unduly optimistic to
      believe that I will be around and, hopefully, working for some time
      to come. My advice, therefore, is to calm down and await events. I
      have not actually gone, yet.

      As an aside, thanks to everyone who bought Making Money making it,
      we understand, the best selling hardback fiction of 2007. At least
      that's what the figures say. It will be interesting to see if the
      papers say it too.

      Happy Hogswatch!

      Terry Pratchett

      [Editor's note: this can be found online at
      http://www.paulkidby.com/news/index.html
      -- with a nod to http://www.pjsmprints.com]

      [Editor's other note: although editors do often get, erm, given
      things, this editor wishes to go on record as having also bought a
      hardcover copy of Making Money for her own collection!]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      4) BATH LITERATURE FESTIVAL

      PTERRY AT THE BATH LITERATURE FESTIVAL

      http://www.bathlitfest.org.uk/terry-pratchett.html

      Bath Literature Festival 2008

      Terry Pratchett: 25 Years of Discworld

      Saturday 23rd February 2008, 7.30 - 8.30pm
      Venue: The Forum, Bath
      Price: £10 (£8)

      'For a brilliantly insightful representation of human life, in all
      its folly, absurdity and all its glory, stretch out a hand, pick up
      a book, and find yourself in the Discworld. The corruption of
      politicians, the power of money, the vainglory of celebrity, the
      optimism of youth, and the ubiquity of Death - all's there in the
      Discworld.

      'We're delighted to welcome Terry Pratchett, master chronicler of
      our life and times, reinventor of ancient myths into modern form,
      storyteller par excellence, back to the Festival for an inaugural
      event to kick off the celebrations of the 25th year of Discworld.
      With Broadcaster Christopher Cook.'

      Tickets available from Bath Festivals Box Office
      Telephone: 01225 463362
      http://www.bathlitfest.org.uk

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      5) COLOUR OF MAGIC UPDATE: EXTENDED CAST LIST

      It looks, from the cast list, like the stories in both tCoM and tLF
      will be covered. This is exciting! Note the third-last name on the
      cast list...

      Sir David Jason as Rincewind
      Sean Astin as Twoflower
      Tim Curry as Trymon
      David Bradley as Cohen the Barbarian
      Laura Haddock as Bethan
      Christopher Lee as Voice of Death
      James Cosmo as Galder Weatherwax
      Richard Da Costa as Luggage
      Nicolas Tennant as Head Librarian
      Michael Mears as Jiglad Wert
      Roger Aston Griffiths as Lumuel Panter
      Will Keen as Ganmack Treehallett
      Peter Copley as Spold
      Andy Robb as Third Rank Wizard
      Ian Burfield as Ymor
      Arthur White as Rerpf
      David Schofield as Zlorf
      Steven Marcus as Broadman
      Liz May Brice as Herrena
      Pia Mechler as Weems
      Karen David as Liessa
      Geoffrey Hutchings as Picture Imp
      Andy Linden as Blind Hugh
      Nigel Planer as Arch Astronomer
      Adam Ewan as Master Launch Controller
      Philip Philmar as Astrozoologist 1
      Terry Pratchett as Astrozoologist 2
      Thomas Morrison as Dim Student
      Joe Sims as Big Star Man/Star Refugee

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      6) PRATCHETT PIECES AT ADELAIDE FRINGE

      The Unseen Theatre Company in association with "Insight Presents" is
      bringing "Pratchett Pieces Two - The Radio Play" to The Adelaide
      Fringe 2008. Bite-sized Terry Pratchett comedies performed as radio
      plays with live sound FX. Original short stories written by Terry
      Pratchett. Adapted for the stage by Pamela Munt, and then for radio
      by Rod Lewis.

      ABOUT THE STORIES
      Our heroes tell us that in death, there is honour. We've been
      promised an afterlife worth fighting for. But when a fictional
      character meets his maker, can an author live up to the expectations
      of his medieval creation?

      Then meet Cohen the Barbarian, who has spent his life fighting for a
      better future. But the Trolls under the bridge are overweight
      businessmen nowadays. The forests are chopped down, and there's no
      one left to fight. Sometimes you can be too good at your job. But
      can Cohen make one last stand for truth, justice and the Barbarian
      way?

      THE PERFORMERS
      The Unseen Theatre Company is an award-winning theatre company
      dedicated to bringing the works of Terry Pratchett to the stage. For
      the past 7 years they have presented a number of his stories as
      plays, generating a great cult following in Adelaide.

      Insight Presents is a radio theatre troupe set up by local theatre
      critic and artist Rod Lewis to produce and record radio plays in
      front of a theatre audience. It produces and performs its plays the
      old fashioned way by creating sound effects live on stage and using
      audience participation. In 2007 it was nominated for the Adelaide
      Critic's Circle Awards in the category of "Innovation".

      When:
      March 5 - 8 and 11 - 15 @ 5.30pm

      Where:
      Bakehouse Theatre, 255 Angas St Adelaide

      Tickets:
      Adults: $15
      Concessions, Fringe Benefits & Bank SA: $10
      Free Ticket Night for holders of Health Care Cards on Tuesday March
      11. One night only - book now. (This deal can only be booked at the
      Bakehouse Theatre)

      Bookings:
      Fringe Tickets:
      Tel: 1300374643
      Web site: http://www.adelaidefringe.com.au

      Bakehouse Theatre:
      Tel: 82270505
      Email: book@...

      Unseen Theatre Company: http://www.unseen.com.au

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      7) WYRD SISTERS IN HENLEY

      The Henley Players are performing 'Wyrd Sisters' at the Kenton
      Theatre in Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire RG9 1BT, between Tuesday
      25th to Saturday 29th March at 7.45pm with a 3pm Saturday matinee.

      For further details, please see the Kenton Theatre web site:

      http://www.kentontheatre.co.uk/Mar08.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      8) MORT COMES TO MORNINGTON

      Rosebud Astral Theatre Society (Mornington Peninsula, south of
      Melbourne) are presenting a performance of Stephen Briggs'
      adaptation of Mort in early March! Director Damian Perry says:

      "We have a wonderful cast and a dedicated production team that will
      make this a definite must-see in March. The show runs from the 6th
      of March until the 16th - 8 shows over two weeks from Thursday to
      Sunday."

      Website: http://www.astral.org.au
      and http://www.astral.org.au/mort/

      The website includes desktop wallpapers and rehearsal shots, as
      well as booking information and downloadable posters.

      [Editor's note: the Mornington Peninsula is in XXXX]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      9) CALLING ALL SEAMSTRESSES

      Do you fancy becoming in involved in a Seamstress Party?

      In 2002, the American Seamstress Guild threw a notorious party for
      Terry Pratchett at WorldCon in San Jose. At Terry's request, the
      Seamstress Guild will be throwing another party for Himself at the
      first ever North American Discworld Convention in 2009.

      Anyone who would like to be involved is welcome at:

      The Seamstress Guild will begin working on the event this year.

      For further information, contact Denise Connell via email:
      shewho13@....

      You can find details of the North American Discworld Convention at
      http://www.nadwcon.org/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      10) WHATEVER BECAME OF THE TROLL BRIDGE MOVIE?

      Some speculations from alt.books.pratchett:

      Q: How many people here are aware this is being made? Or even
      supported it by being an investor?

      I'm an Investor, I'll be getting a free copy of the DVD when it's
      finally finished and my name will appear in the credits as will all
      the other investors
      -- Raymond Daley

      Let's hope it's not like the Warhammer film which cannot be released
      due to copyright issues. A sad loss apparently.
      -- Reader in Invisible Writings.

      Given that it appears to have been filmed in 2004 the signs aren't
      good.
      -- Keith

      Well given the fact that Mr Pratchett himself have written some of
      the lines in the movie I see no problems for copyright issues. As
      far as I know the film is still in post-production. I look forward
      to my copy of it when it's finished.
      -- Winterbay

      Au contraire, It's the work of a very small group of people with
      limited funds. They've been doing post production for at least 2
      years from what I read on their web site.
      -- Raymond Daley

      Well, it's been publicised on L-Space Web for the past couple of
      years. :-)

      http://www.lspace.org/fandom/events/movies/troll-bridge.html
      -- esmi

      4 years in post production seems a little excessive for a 20 minute
      short.
      -- Keith

      Not when it's 2 guys making an animated CGI Troll and CGI
      backgrounds to composite in on an ordinary computer
      -- Raymond Daley

      I'm an investor, though I've become disconnected from the email
      address I registered under so while (when I remember) I can still
      keep up-to-date on the site and seeing the latest on how the
      CGI/compositing/etc is going, I'm not sure if I should have been
      receiving more direct updates.

      OTOH, I'm content to let Daniel, et al, get on with it as they see
      fit. And, given the official backing it has, I'd especially like it
      to be done 'right' and not just to a deadline.
      -- Len

      They have day jobs, and they're trying to do it right, not under a
      production or broadcast schedule.
      -- Tamar

      And they have produced some other short movies in the meantime.
      Jörg

      Yep, including the now legendary Rincewind film that was shown at
      the AusCon
      -- Raymond Daley

      If you did not get all three parts, write: interact@...