WOSSNAME - DECEMBER 2007 -- PART 1 OF 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 23, 2007
      December 2007 (Volume 10, Issue 12)
      your name, country and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No. As a
      member of the Klatchian Foreign Legion, you'd only forget them...
      Editor Emeritus (retd): Joseph Schaumburger
      News Editor: T.F. (Tiff) Peasey
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      Puzzle Editor: incognito
      DW Horoscope: Lady Anaemia Asterisk
      Emergency Staff: Jason Parlevliet, Nathan Clissold, Dylan Williams
      Art Director: Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano

      ====Part 1 -- ALL THE NEWS AT HOGSWATCHTIME

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH
      2) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      3) (RE)BROADCAST NEWS
      4) NADWCON NEWS
      5) DWCON 2008 - NOW, THE T-SHIRT

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS, CONTEST, AND...

      6) MAKING MONEY: A WASHINGTON POST FAVOURITE
      7) ACTION REPLAY: PTERRY IN CAMBRIDGE
      8) PTERRY IN ITALY
      9) UNOFFICIAL COMPANION CONTEST
      10) THE CLACKS LOG OF...
      11) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      ====Part 3 -- HOROSCOPE, CONTINUED, AND CLOSE

      12) HOROSCOPE, CONTINUED

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH

      "Susan had never hung up a stocking. She'd never looked for eggs
      laid by the Soul Cake Duck. She'd never put a tooth under her pillow
      in the serious expectation that a dentally inclined fairy would turn
      up.

      "It wasn't that her parents didn't believe in such things. They
      didn't *need* to believe in them. They knew they existed. They just
      wished they didn't."

      -- Hogfather

      LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

      Well. Another year, another Hogswatch. It's been an eventful year,
      stretching from the success of the Hogfather miniseries last holiday
      season to casting and ongoing filming of The Colour of Magic to the
      release and success of Making Money to the earth-shattering news of
      Pterry's illness, and here we are again trotting out the mistletoe
      and the vintage scumble and gathering to celebrate various
      year's-end holidays and toast the coming new year in the hopes that
      it will bring even more good things and fewer bad ones.

      It's been an eventful year for me as well...especially the second
      half of it, since the editorship of WOSSNAME got unexpectedly
      dropped in my lap. Organising the monthly issues pretty much
      singlehandedly has been a learning experience, to put it mildly, and
      once again I extend my heartfelt thanks to all the many readers who
      have sent messages of encouragement, and the various contributors
      who have sent in news and essays and generally made my job more
      pleasant.

      I'd like to drop a respectful and affectionate curtsey -- like
      witches, editors never bow -- to our esteemed retired editor and
      WOSSNAME founder Joe Schaumburger. May he have many happy
      Hogswatches yet, and may his heart not attack him over the festive
      dinner!

      All the best and HAPPY HOGSWATCH!

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      3) HOGFATHER AND JOHNNY REBROADCASTS

      HOGFATHER U.K. REBROADCAST

      A reminder for UK viewers: Sky 1 and HD (channels 106 and 175) will
      be showing Hogfather on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day at 8.00pm.

      JOHNNY AND THE BOMB U.K. REBROADCAST

      For anyone in the U.K. who hasn't seen it, or would like to see it
      again, the BBC television dramatisation of 'Johnny and the Bomb' is
      being shown on CBBC on Thursday 3 January 2008 from 16:00 to 17:50.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      4) NADWCON NEWS

      From the NADWCON team:

      Terry has been in touch with us and is still looking forward to
      attending our convention in 2009. We will be working with Terry and
      his assistant, Rob Wilkins, to make that happen and accommodate
      Terry as needed. As with all of you, we hope for the best for
      Terry's health and our thoughts are with Terry and his family.

      -- North American Discworld Convention Update --

      I'd like to thank all of you who have bought your memberships for
      the 2009 North American Discworld Convention since sales went live
      in mid-November. We've been very pleased and excited with the
      response so far. The initial membership rate is good until the end
      of March.

      In the meantime, we've been busily cross-promoting this event at
      other conventions around the country. We've sent the new flyers to
      several conventions, and also held a room party at LosCon 34 in Los
      Angeles, where we met a lot of fans and sold some memberships. We're
      putting together a list of the conventions coming up where we plan
      to promote our convention and we'll be looking for help getting the
      word out at them, especially at the WorldCon in Denver. Expect to
      see the initial requests early in the year.

      Speaking of help and appreciation, I also wanted to send some thank-
      yous to the many people who have helped us get up and running since
      the first North American Discworld Convention was initially proposed
      in 2005.

      First of all, we'd like to thank Terry Pratchett, who has been very
      supportive. Terry's assistant, Rob Wilkins, and Terry's U.S. editor
      at HarperCollins, Jennifer Brehl, have both provided a great deal of
      help and advice. Terry's agent Colin Smythe and Bernard "The Cunning
      Artificer" Pearson have both offered information and assistance from
      the earliest days of this effort, as have many committee members and
      staff, both past and present, from the UK Discworld Conventions
      which were our inspiration. We'd also like to thank Discworld
      Monthly and the WOSSNAME newsletters for getting the word out
      directly to the fans every month.

      We've had a lot of people posting online about the convention, too,
      including our guests Diane Duane and Peter Morwood as well as sites
      such as Slice of Scifi and SFScope. Last but not least, we've
      received a flood of support and volunteer offers from fans. We
      really appreciate everyone's kindness, patience, and generosity.
      We couldn't have come this far without you!

      -- Website Message Board --

      We have set up a message board linked to the main website to give
      all of us a place to talk about the convention in addition to the
      Livejournal community. Once you sign up, please introduce yourself
      and join in the discussions. This is a great place for you to ask
      questions, make suggestions, and meet other fans who plan to attend.

      -- Hotel Update --

      For those of you who have been attempting to book a hotel room, the
      Tempe Mission Palms has informed us that it will be a couple of
      months before their computer system is ready to accept convention
      reservations. They're currently focused on handling all of the fans
      coming in for the two college football bowl games at the end of
      this month, and some little game called the "Super Bowl" in early
      February. We'll keep checking with them and make sure you know when
      they can start booking rooms.

      -- Glendale, Arizona Meetup with Southwest Costumers Guild --

      Discworld fans in the Phoenix area are invited to participate in the
      Southwest Costumers Guild meetup on Saturday, Dec. 15 at 5:00 pm in
      Glendale, Arizona. We will be meeting at the Subway sandwich shop on
      the southeast corner of 58th Avenue and Glendale, then proceeding to
      walk through the Glendale Glitters street fair, which runs from 6:00
      pm to 10:00 pm. Members of the SWCG will most likely be wearing
      various costumes to promote the Guild, but while costumes are
      encouraged, they're definitely not required.

      Although this is a SWCG meetup, several Discworld fans are already
      due to attend. Randall Whitlock (our NADWCon Maskerade director) and
      Anna Caggiano (our Guest Liaison/HarperCollins Liaison) will be
      attending, and some local TerryPratchettBooks.com message board
      members already plan to be there.

      The Southwest Costumers Guild is a great resource for costume help
      and information, so if you plan to make a costume for the NADWCon,
      the Guildsters are some very useful folks to know. For more
      information about the Southwest Costumers Guild, see their website:

      http://www.southwestcostumersguild.org/

      For more information about Glendale Glitters, see:
      http://www.glendaleaz.com/events/JingleBellRockinNights.cfm

      We hope to see you there.

      Lee Whiteside
      2009 North American Discworld Convention

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      5) DWCON 2008: GO THERE, DO THAT, WEAR THE T-SHIRT!

      From Karen at L-Space:

      As you know the theme of the next DWCon is 'The History Monks' and
      it is not just a random choice... We get to play with space and
      time and images in whole new ways. Just watch out for those
      pictures and logos and slogans over the months to come.

      Much has to be cunningly organised, wrought and crafted in the
      building of the event. Memorable artworks, scintillating guests,
      delightful delegates and of course in the finest of traditions I'm
      happy to say:

      WE HAZ A MERCHANDIZE!

      The item in question is Ye Traditional Conne T-Shirt in the initial
      line drawing version of the Convention image of The Baby Abbot on
      the front and the Convention title and dates on the back.

      A WOT?

      This is a special Pre-Con T-Shirt and so is a strictly limited
      edition. A number were snapped up by enthusiastic fans after seeing
      them modelled by our supermodel committee members at the Wincanton
      event last weekend. The remaining allocation are now being offered
      on a first come first served basis.

      WOT IT LOOKZ LIKE?

      I point you, ladies, gentleman and the alternatively alive to our
      Supermodel Ian, showing our new creation.

      When Ian started the job of Vice Chairman he was 89, wheezing and
      looking for a life. Now with the aid of Con T-Shirt you see the
      young and vigorous Chair of Vice, making the most of the adoration
      of the masses.

      http://groups.google.com/group/dwcon_org_2008/web/limited-edition-
      pre-con-t-shirt

      or http://tinyurl.com/398hm2

      WOT SIZEZ?

      We have a small number of the run available for delivery now, the
      rest are due for delivery shortly after Christmas. Orders accepted
      and paid for by Wednesday 12th December will be dispatched by
      Friday 14th December, First Class. This should be in time for UK
      addresses before Christmas. Postage to UK addresses will be £2,
      international rates will be supplied on request. Sizes are:

      S (32")
      M (34")
      L (36")
      XL (38")
      XXL (40")

      We may still be able to ask for some of the second half of the
      order to be produced in 'slim fit' style. Please mention this
      when ordering. We only have L and XL available for delivery before
      Christmas. Price for all sizes is £10.

      I MUST HAZ - PLIZ GIMME!

      Please email info@... stating sizes needed and name and
      address. We can accept payment by Paypal. Price per t-shirt is £10,

      If you are happy to wait until after Christmas please say, this will
      enable us to send the stock to those who need them for the Prime
      Gifting Season. They would also make natty birthday presents for
      those Winter birthdays or even Valentine's day (bundled with
      tickets for a romantic Con weekend for two?)

      If you did not get all three parts, write: interact@...