WOSSNAME -- NOVEMBER 2007 -- PART 1 OF 6

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2007
      November 2007 (Volume 10, Issue 11)
      your name, country and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No. As a
      member of the Klatchian Foreign Legion, you'd only forget them...
      Editor Emeritus (retd): Joseph Schaumburger
      News Editor: T.F. (Tiff) Peasey
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      Puzzle Editor: incognito
      DW Horoscope: Lady Anaemia Asterisk
      Emergency Staff: Jason Parlevliet, Nathan Clissold, Dylan Williams
      Art Director: Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano

      ====Part 1 -- ALL THE NEWS THAT FITS

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH
      2) LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR
      3) PTERRY HIMSELF: I ATE'NT DEAD
      4) HOGFATHER AUSTRALIAN DVD RELEASE
      5) NADWCON NEWS: IT'S ON!

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS

      6) DWCON 2008 NEWS
      7) ACTION REPLAY: PTERRY GOES TO WASHINGTON
      8) GETTING INSIDE PTERRY'S HEAD
      9) UNSEEN THEATRE AUDITIONS
      10) STEPHEN FRY NEEDS TO READ DISCWORLD NOVELS!
      11) THE GOOD WEBBE GUIDE
      12) THE UNOFFICIAL PTERRY COMPANION: REVIEW

      ====Part 3 -- ...AND MORE... AND ALICE

      13) LU-TZE'S YEARBOOK OF ENLIGHTENMENT: REVIEW
      14) THE CLACKS LOG OF WEIRD ALICE LANCREVIC

      ====Part 4 -- MORE ALICE

      15) WEIRD ALICE, CONTINUED

      ====Part 5 -- MORE ALICE, AND HOROSCOPE

      16) WEIRD ALICE, CONTINUED
      17) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE MAR>SEP

      ====Part 6 -- HOROSCOPE, CONTINUED, AND CLOSE

      18) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE SEP>MAR

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH

      "In fact it's the view of the more thoughtful historians,
      particularly those who have spent time in the same bar as the
      theoretical physicists, that the entirety of human history can be
      considered as a sort of blooper reel. All those wars, all those
      famines caused by malign stupidity, all that determined, mindless
      repetition of the same old errors, are in the great cosmic scheme of
      things only equivalent to Mr Spock's ears falling off."

      -- footnote in The Last Continent, p. 195, Doubleday hardcover

      This is a very short editor's letter to say that this is a very long
      issue! The master is alive and well, no-one's choked on a concubine,
      and there are some interesting new publications recently out or
      forthcoming. Enjoy!

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      3) A WORD FROM THE MASTER

      ...who provably -- note spelling -- ate'nt dead:

      Various people have been enquiring about my health and so this,
      short of jokes like "at last I can't remember the 60's, so I was
      there" is how we think the story goes:

      As far as we can tell, I had a minor stroke about two years ago. I
      didn't know it at the time. I was working hard on Wintersmith and
      then immediately on Making Money and the fact that my typing seemed
      more erratic than usual I put down to hard work and, not to put too
      finer point on it, old age creeping on. It was only a couple of
      months ago that I was thinking about having an MRI scan, mostly
      because I had just typed a sentence that I couldn't understand!

      It appears to have been "one of those things". Frankly, over the
      years I have suffered from "those things" so often that I might as
      well check into the Royal Things hospital. The only other effect
      seems to be slightly more tiredness and less mental alertness at the
      end of the day.

      And that's it. I was astonished to get through the six hour twenty-
      five minutes signing at Forbidden Planet in London the other week
      and still be in a shape to go out for a business dinner afterwards,
      especially since my previous best time of five hours fifty-eight
      minutes left me hallucinating. Clearly adrenalin is the best
      medicine. In the longer term, though, there really is going to have
      to be a reduction in touring. What I will add, though, is that all
      current commitments including the Australian tour, the UK Discworld
      Convention next year and the proposed US Discworld Convention in
      2009 will be honoured, provided my health is no worse than it is
      now.

      Terry Pratchett

      ********

      ...AND HOW THE PRESS TOLD IT

      Terry Pratchett: 'I had a stroke - and I didn't even notice'
      Daily Mail UK:

      http://tinyurl.com/2jwn7m

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      4) HOGFATHER DVD NOW AVAILABLE IN XXXX

      At last! The DVD of Hogfather is being released in Australia!

      Copies can be pre-ordered through Video Ezy, who claim that
      Hogfather DVDs will be available in-store on 6th December:
      http://www.videoezy.com.au/default.aspx?page=detail&itemId=43331

      True Gamer are offering a good discount price:
      http://www.truegamer.com.au/Hogfather-pr-90677.html

      ...as are DeVoteD DVD:
      http://tinyurl.com/3bvqux

      Now you know just what to get to give that extra touch of class to
      the pile of pressies under your inappropriately decorated eucalyptus
      tree...

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      5) NADWCON NEWS: ALL THE INFO

      The Official Announcement!

      The First North American Discworld Convention will be held September
      4-7, 2009 (Labor Day weekend which includes a Monday holiday) at the
      Tempe Mission Palms Hotel in downtown Tempe, Arizona (near Phoenix).
      It will be a celebration of the Discworld universe created by our
      Guest of Honor Terry Pratchett. Other guests will include Diane
      Duane, Peter Morwood, and Esther Friesner, with more to be
      announced. During the weekend we will have many panels,
      presentations, readings and other activities for Discworld fans. We
      are also planning to have a Maskerade, a Banquet, a Marketplace
      (dealer's room/art show), a Charity Auction to benefit the Orangutan
      Foundation, a Hospitality Suite, and other activities for attendees.
      The North American Discworld Convention is being sponsored by
      Leprecon, Inc., an Arizona non-profit volunteer corporation.

      Our Guest of Honor, Terry Pratchett, is the international best-
      selling author of the Discworld novel series, which began in 1983
      with The Colour of Magic and most recently continued in Making
      Money. His young adult and children's books, including the Johnny
      Maxwell series and the Tiffany Aching Discworld YA books, have been
      well received, and he was awarded the 2001 Carnegie Medal for The
      Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents. He also co-wrote Good
      Omens with Neil Gaiman.

      Our additional guests are fans of Terry's work and good friends of
      Terry's. They are also excellent convention guests in their own
      right and we're looking forward to having them join us.

      Diane Duane and Peter Morwood have written many novels, comics, and
      screenplays, both singly and as collaborations. They co-wrote The
      Ring of the Nibelungs miniseries (aired in the U.S. on SciFi as Dark
      Kingdom: The Dragon King), and each has several new novels and
      projects in the works.

      Esther Friesner is a science fiction and fantasy writer best known
      for her humorous stories and anthologies (such as Alien Pregnant by
      Elvis and the Chicks in Chainmail series) and her fantasy novel
      series (Majyk, Demons, New York by Knight, and Gnome Man's Land).
      She's recently embarked on a young adult series featuring a young
      Helen of Troy with Nobody's Princess and the upcoming Nobody's
      Prize.

      We will be hosting other guests with connections to Terry and
      Discworld in addition to those above and will announce them as they
      are confirmed.

      The convention will run from early afternoon on Friday, September
      4th to late afternoon on Monday, September 7th. There may be some
      limited activities available for pre-registered members on Thursday
      night, September 3rd, depending on the travel schedule of our
      guests. Tentative plans for major events include a special event on
      Friday night, the Maskerade on Saturday night, and a Banquet in the
      early evening on Sunday. We will have special panels with our guests
      including a spotlight talk/interview with Terry Pratchett, probably
      on Saturday afternoon. Outside of the major panels and events we
      plan to have more discussion panels, presentations, readings,
      demonstrations, games, and other activities that will make this a
      fun and memorable weekend for everyone.

      The Charity Auction will benefit Terry Pratchett's favorite charity,
      the Orangutan Foundation, and will likely be held on Sunday
      afternoon. There may be some additional fund-raising activities
      during the weekend as well.

      Our venue is the Tempe Mission Palms Hotel in Tempe, Arizona.
      Leprecon, Inc. has recently hosted the 2004 World Fantasy Convention
      and the 2006 Nebula Awards weekend at the Tempe Mission Palms and it
      has received acclaim from fans and pros at those events. The hotel
      is located in the heart of downtown Tempe with a varied selection of
      restaurants, shopping and nightlife nearby. It is a short distance
      from Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport and is accessible via
      the Phoenix Light Rail system, which will be opening in late 2008.
      Our room rates are US $119 per night S/D, US $129 T, and US $139 Q
      with a US $9.75 per night hospitality fee that includes airport
      shuttle, valet and self parking, internet access, a fitness center,
      and more. The online booking code and the reservation phone number
      will soon be available on our website.

      The initial membership rate will be US $60 for a full weekend
      membership, or US $30 for a supporting membership. Children 6-11
      will pay US $30 with kids 5 and under free with an adult membership.
      These rates will be in effect until March 31, 2008. This rate
      includes all regular convention events, panels and presentations.
      The Banquet and a possible VIP event/charityevent will cost extra
      and will be announced when details are finalized. Payments can be
      made via the mail or online via Paypal. Full details are on our
      website. We are planning to cap membership in the 900 attendee range
      to ensure that all attendees will be able to be seated at the major
      functions in our ballroom.

      For those wanting to mix in some tourism around the convention we
      will be looking into making arrangements with local touring
      companies for trips before and/or after the convention with the
      possibility for some special excursions being arranged for
      attendees. Keep an eye on our website for details.

      We're looking forward to hosting a fun weekend for all of our
      attendees and our guests. Please be sure to visit our website at
      http://www.nadwcon.org and join in the discussions on our message
      board and livejournal community.

      Lee Whiteside
      2009 North American Discworld Chair