WOSSNAME -- OCTOBER 2007 -- PART 1 OF 6

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2007
      October 2007 (Volume 10, Issue 10)
      your name, country and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No. As a
      member of the Klatchian Foreign Legion, you'd only forget them...
      Editor Emeritus (retd): Joseph Schaumburger
      News Editor: T.F. (Tiff) Peasey
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      Puzzle Editor: incognito
      DW Horoscope: Lady Anaemia Asterisk
      Emergency Staff: Jason Parlevliet, Nathan Clissold, Dylan Williams
      Art Director: Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano

      ====Part 1 -- ALL THE NEWS THAT FITS

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH
      2) LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR
      3) HOGFATHER USA BROADCAST AND DVD RELEASE
      4) PTERRY CAPTURED ON VIDEO: INTERVIEW IN CAMBRIDGE
      5) NADWCON NEWS
      6) MAKING MONEY STILL A BESTSELLER
      7) PTERRY GOES TO WASHINGTON: NOW WITH SOUND AND PICTURES
      8) IMAGE OF THE MONTH

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS, BITS AND BOBS

      9) APF MEET IN GERMANY
      10) ANSWERS TO LAST MONTH'S WHICH WITCH QUIZ
      11) THE ATE'NT DEAD COLUMN
      12) DISCWORLD PRESENCE IN ONLINE COMICS
      13) PROMISING NEWS FOR ROUNDWORLD IGORS
      14) GOING COMPARATIVELY POSTAL

      ====Part 3 -- WEIRD ALICE'S CLACKS LOG

      15) THE CLACKS LOG OF WEIRD ALICE LANCREVIC

      ====Part 4 -- MORE WEIRD ALICE, AND HOROSCOPE

      16) THE CLACKS LOG OF WEIRD ALICE LANCREVIC, CONTINUED
      17) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      ====Part 5 -- HOROSCOPE, CONTINUED

      18) YOUR MONTHLY HOROSCOPE CONTINUED JUN>DEC

      ====Part 6 -- HOROSCOPE CONTINUED, AND CLOSE

      19) YOUR MONTHLY HOROSCOPE CONTINUED DEC>MAR

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH

      "Fans write and say: 'What books have you got in the pipeline?' and,
      really, there's no pipeline. There's just me." -- Terry Pratchett

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      2) EDITORIAL: THE RIGHT TIME TO READ

      With the mounting interest regarding the Colour of Magic film in the
      air, I recently went back and re-read both that seminal Discworld
      novel and its partner, The Light Fantastic. And after many years of
      watching the Discworld series lengthen and broaden and deepen, of
      watching what were once throwaway comedic characters -- created to
      further the plot of what their author thought would likely be a
      short satirical exercise -- develop into living, breathing *people*
      we readers cared about and came to think of almost as family, and of
      hearing so many Discworld enthusiasts dismiss tCoM and tLF as, well,
      the light first course that merely served to get us to the main
      meal, I was surprised to find that they still stood up to my
      standards of What Makes a Beloved Book. And having done that, I've
      been going back and re-reading some of the novels in the series that
      were amongst my less favoured ones...and what I've discovered is
      that I must not have read them, originally, at the right time in my
      life.

      You can assume right here that there are no Discworld books that I
      *dislike*, because that's the truth of it. But we all have our own
      tastes, and for me there were some few novels that didn't ring my
      bell as hard as the rest, and one that I considered my Least Liked:
      Small Gods.

      Small Gods was first published back in 1992, and of course I bought
      it in hardcover the moment it came out -- there may be things in
      daily life more important than hardcover books by one's favourite
      author, but if so, I've yet to discover them; food and shelter, for
      instance, come a distant second, and yes, I've put that to the test
      before -- but on reading it, I was left a bit cold. I could never
      warm to Brutha or any of the other main characters, and for me,
      that's all-important. But when I re-read it last week, I was
      astonished that I could ever *not* have loved it. There is so much
      depth to it, and it contains the most impartial and humanistic
      treatment of religion I've yet to encounter in a work of fiction.
      And I can't put my finger on what's changed, as the book certainly
      didn't rewrite itself when I wasn't looking! I was bedridden with a
      long illness for the whole of that year, but my life was otherwise
      good and I had no lack of time to savour and contemplate my reading
      material...

      I'm making a public apology here to WOSSNAME reader 71-hour Ahmed,
      who recently told me that Small Gods was the Discworld novel dearest
      to his heart. Point taken! And as I go back through the few books
      that make up my Least Liked portion of the Discworld novels, I find
      that these were also read at a time when I didn't get the full
      appreciation from them. So I recommend to you, dear readers, that
      you too go back and read whichever ones you found less wondrous once
      upon a time. You might just be pleasantly surprised. I know I was.

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      3) HOGFATHER USA BROADCAST AND DVD NEWS

      Great news for American Discworld fans - the Hogfather has finally
      found your chimneys!

      Mob Films' live miniseries of Hogfather will air in its entirety on
      ION Television, a network that reaches over 90 million American
      homes. According to Robert Halmi, Jr., President and CEO of RHI
      Entertainment, 'Terry Pratchett is among the most prominent authors
      of our time. We are honored to work with him and are pleased to be
      the first to unveil Hogfather to a U.S. audience.'

      Hogfather will be part of the RHI Movie Weekend on ION Television
      Sunday, November 25. The four-hour film airs at 7pm Eastern time
      (6pm Central time).

      IMPORTANT TRAILER NEWS: yes, Virginia, there *is* a trailer
      promoting the US broadcast:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPfk3TPpr8Q

      Best of all, especially for the many American fans who have been
      waiting for news of the Hogfather American DVD release, the DVD --
      featuring a special interview with Pterry -- will be available
      exclusively at branches of Borders bookstore from 13th November
      2007! The general release date for the DVD is apparently set for
      March 2008, so you might want to storm your nearest branch of
      Borders next month. In a politely-storming manner, waving money, of
      course.

      And a final exciting note: The Color of Magic, starring Sir David
      Jason, Sean Astin and an all-star cast, is scheduled to make its
      U.S. television debut in 2008.

      -- from various sources including
      http://www.c21media.net/news/detail.asp?area=1&article=38210

      [Editor's note: Special nod of thanks to WOSSNAME reader Renee
      Taylor, who first pointed this out!]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      4) PTERRY ON VIDEO: WATCHING THE MASTER AT WORK

      Here's a lovely video clip of Pterry being interviewed at his book
      signing in Cambridge [UK] for Making Money. Entertaining as always,
      and he makes one comment that would surely bring a smile to Nanny
      Ogg's face!

      http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1270726931

      ...and also at work across the ocean: a podcast of Pterry's talk on
      1st October at Barnes & Noble in New York is now available online
      at

      http://www.barnesandnoble.com/

      Look for the link on the right-hand side, just below the top
      banner!

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      5) NADWCON: PLANNING AHEAD

      This is the first of what will surely be many reminders - the first-
      ever official North American Discworld Convention is, yes,
      officially a go! Pterry himself is the primary GoH, and over the
      coming months many other guests and attractions will be announced on
      the NADWCON website. It will take place in Phoenix, Arizona on 4-7
      September 2009; that's nearly two years away, but now is the time to
      start planning your convention "holiday".

      Now that Pterry's profile is higher than ever in North America (see
      news about the upcoming Hogfather broadcast and DVD release), it's
      time for all you Turtle-lovers to show your support. Let's make this
      historic event as historic as an historic thing!

      http://www.nadwcon.org/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      6) MAKING MONEY: MAKING THE BESTSELLER LISTS SIZZLE

      10th October 2007: "Terry Pratchett's Making Money still ranks on
      all five print lists compiled here -- the only book to do so this
      week."

      http://www.locusmag.com/2007/Bestsellers1009.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      7) PTERRY GOES TO WASHINGTON, WITH ICONOGRAPHS

      Reader orderedchaos42 has sent in some lovely photos of Pterry's
      featured appearance at the recent Library of Congress-sponsored
      National Book Festival. They're available for viewing in the Files
      section of the online WOSSNAME:

      Also from the same source: a 28-minute Pterry podcast (downloadable
      as MP3). It says in the blurb: "Science fiction and fantasy author
      Terry Pratchett talks about his best-selling books and how he made
      Death one of his most popular characters."

      http://www.loc.gov/podcasts/bookfest/podcast_pratchett.html

      Nice one!

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      8) IMAGE OF THE MONTH: LOL-A'TUIN

      By now nearly everyone must be aware of the craze for lolcats, or
      cat macros as they're often known. But in case any readers have been
      hiding under an elephant, this phenomenon started -- on the
      internet, where else -- with people finding humorous photos of cats
      and adding humorous text in "cat speak" (hey, it's widely known that
      while cats have Opinions, they can't be bothered with good spelling
      or grammar). Here's a good explanation:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolcat

      And now the lolcat meme has a Discworld flavour: Lolcat A'Tuin!
      Created by Discworld fan Hotclaws, and now available (with
      permission) for viewing in the Files section of online WOSSNAME:

      http://tinyurl.com/2tngu5

      Right, you lot - get your Photoshop out and let's have a run of lol-
      Rincewinds and lol-Librarians and...well, the Rim's the limit. Do
      send them on!

      If you did not get all six parts, write: interact@...