WOSSNAME -- AUGUST 2007 -- part 1 of 7

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2007
      August 2007 (Volume 10, Issue 8)
      your name, country and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No. As a
      member of the Klatchian Foreign Legion, you'd only forget them...
      Editor Emeritus retd): Joseph Schaumburger
      News Editor: T.F. (Tiff) Peasey
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      Puzzle Editor: in hiding
      DW Horoscope: Lady Anaemia Asterisk
      Emergency Staff: Jason Parlevliet, Nathan Clissold, Dylan Williams
      Art Director: Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano

      ====Part 1 -- ALL THE NEWS THAT FITS

      1) COLOUR OF MAGIC CAST UPDATES
      2) MAKING MONEY USA SIGNING DATES
      3) MAKING MONEY LONDON SIGNING DATE
      4) DISCWORLD JAMBOREE EXCLUSIVE REPORT

      ====Part 2 -- ...AND MORE...

      5) DISCWORLD JAMBOREE ICONOGRAPHS
      6) IMAGE OF THE MONTH
      7) GUARDS! GUARDS! PODCAST
      8) MAKING MAGIC: A GLIMPSE, OR NOT
      9) RHIANNA PRATCHETT INTERVIEW
      10) THE REAL GRANNY ACHING
      11) PROVING ROUNDWORLD IS ROUND
      12) ACTION REPLAY 1
      13) ACTION REPLAY 2
      14) THE GOOD WEBBE GUIDE

      ====Part 3 -- MAKING MONEY!

      15) MAKING MONEY: A REVIEW

      ====Part 4 -- MAKING MONEY, BU NEWS AND WEIRD ALICE

      16) MAKING MONEY: A SILLY REVIEW
      17) BUGARUP UNIVERSITY CAMPUS NEWSROUND
      18) THE CLACKS LOG OF WEIRD ALICE LANCREVIC

      ====Part 5 -- WEIRD ALICE'S CLACKS LOG

      19) THE CLACKS LOG OF WEIRD ALICE LANCREVIC, CONTINUED

      ====Part 6 -- MORE WEIRD ALICE, and HOROSCOPE

      20) CLACKS LOG, CONTINUED
      21) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      ====Part 7 -- HOROSCOPE, and CLOSE

      22) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE, CONTINUED
      23) A LETTER FROM THE EDITOR

      1) SO, LIKE, WHO'S PLAYING THE LUGGAGE?

      Updated Colour of Magic cast news:

      Sean Astin will be playing the role of Twoflower in Mob Films'
      forthcoming Colour of Magic production. Astin has been quoted as
      saying, "I'm honored to be given the chance to make the part of
      Twoflower my own, starring in a fantasy tale that has captured the
      imagination of millions of people around the world." With you on
      that one, Sean! If we can't have Masi Oka or Jackie Chan, I think
      that casting the man who brought Sam Gamgee to life is a stroke of
      genius!

      Christopher Lee steps into those bony shoes to reprise his role as
      the voice of Death. This is excellent news, as Lee is one of the
      great masters of SPEAKING LIKE THIS, and acquitted himself so very
      marvellously in the animated Soul Music.

      Tim Curry takes on Trymon, and I can't think of a better choice...
      although now I can't seem to stop humming "I'm just a sweet
      transvestite...from Unseen...Universitaaay..." at odd moments...

      A recap of the cast list so far:

      David Jason: Rincewind
      David Bradley: Cohen
      Nigel Planer: Arch-Astronomer of Krull
      Marnix Van Den Broeke: Death (the body behind the skellington)
      Nicholas Tennant: the Librarian (in his pre-ape days)
      Laura Haddock: Bethan
      Liz May Brice: Herrena the Henna-haired Harridan
      James Cosmo: Galder Weatherwax
      Karen David: Liessa Dragonlady

      According to the Movieweb site, there is still no distributor for
      the Colour of Magic miniseries in the USA, although it may be
      released as a film in some places:

      http://www.movieweb.com/tv/news/43/21543.php

      As WOSSNAME has also received a number of enquiries regarding the
      lack of an American release of Sky One's Hogfather, it sounds like
      it's time for the army of American Discworld fans to spring into
      action. Make your voices heard!

      From various sources, including Colin Smythe and
      http://tinyurl.com/3dncd6

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      2) MAKING MONEY IN AMERICA - PTERRY'S SIGNING TOUR DATES

      Roll up, roll up for the Making Money signing tour! Here are the
      dates for the American leg of the tour. Bring your books and
      remember to let the man have a rest now and then - we need those
      hands to create more Discworld books!

      Monday, September 24
      7:00 PM at BORDERS #86
      3700 Torrance Blvd Torrance, CA 90503

      Tuesday, September 25
      7:30 PM at KEPLER'S BOOKS
      STE 200, 1010 El Camino Menlo Park, CA 94025

      Wednesday, September 26
      7:00 PM at POWELL'S BOOKSTORE
      3415 SW Cedar Hills Blvd, Beaverton, OR 97005

      Thursday, September 27
      7:30 PM at TATTERED COVER BOOK STORE
      1628 16th St., Denver, CO 80202

      Saturday September 29
      Time to be announced
      Appearing at the National Book Festival
      Sponsored by the Library of Congress
      Details to be announced

      Sunday, September 30
      1:00 PM at CHESTER COUNTY BOOK COMPANY
      975 Paoli Pike, West Chester, PA 19380

      Monday, October 01
      7:00 PM at BARNES & NOBLE/Union Square
      33 E 17th St, New York, NY 10003

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      3) PTERRY MAKING MONEY UK SIGNING TOUR DATES: AN ADDITION

      When WOSSNAME recently published the Making Money October signing
      dates (May 2007, part 2), the details of the London event were
      not known. Now they are:

      Saturday 13th October
      Forbidden Planet Megastore
      179 Shaftesbury Avenue, London, WC2H 8JR,
      1-2pm.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      4) WANDERING IN WINCANTON: AN EXCLUSIVE WOSSNAME REPORT OF THE 2007
      DISCWORLD JAMBOREE

      by Auntie Fi

      During the wettest summer in Britain for 200 years, The Cunning
      Artificer, Bernard Pearson, decided to hold a weekend Discworld
      camping event in Wincanton, Somerset. The old sod isn't called
      cunning for nothing you know, and must have friends in VERY high
      places because after a damp start on Thursday, the sun showed its
      face for the first time all summer, liked what it saw and decided
      to stay for the weekend.

      Thursday passed in a mad whirl of activity; involving bogged-down
      vehicles, much wearing of wellies, a river running through the
      middle of the catering marquee, sawdust, wood chippings and some
      very interesting vocabulary. The highlight of that day for me was
      the invention of `Rut Wrangling': teams of brave souls who
      shuffled their merry booted way through the catering marquee in an
      attempt to level out the ground, swiftly followed by `Spike, Sand
      and Soak up the Soggy Bit'. I drifted off to sleep that night
      listening to somebody singing Elvis (badly) during a late night
      sound check.

      Friday dawned and I discovered that it ain't easy to get off an
      airbed in a dignified fashion, or get out of a tent for that matter.
      People started to arrive thick and fast and unless they could run
      away very, very quickly (you'd be surprised how fast a determined
      lady on crutches can move) they were roped into setting up badge
      activities and a myriad of other things. Old and new friends were
      more than happy to oblige and dived in to get things moving.

      Terry lost the black fedora for the weekend, donned shorts and
      treated us `mature' gels to a sight of his knees (knobbly and
      hairy but nice none the less); Stephen Briggs lost his pants
      altogether and frisked about in a kilt. I still haven't got round
      to asking people seated in the front row during his Maskerade
      commentary exactly what Briggsy was wearing under the tartan.

      Wessex Birds of Prey Rescue were delighted to introduce Terry,
      Bernard, Isobel and Stephen to Hodgesaargh! aka Squeak, the Common
      Buzzard (sponsored by The Pearsons). They brought a superb
      collection of birds with them and treated us to several displays. A
      memorable moment for me was being whooshed by one of these beautiful
      creatures, which passed so close I felt its feathers brush my cheek.
      Thank goodness I bought several spare changes of underwear.

      The Gangshow was a huge success; I loved the Muppet-style puppets of
      Bernard and Terry and was delighted when both these gentlemen
      decided to replace them for the final scene.

      There are still so many wonderful things that happened over the
      weekend and they're far too numerous to mention but I'd like to
      share this one last memory with you.

      Early evening on the Saturday I snuck off for a peaceful fag and a
      cuppa. The sun was starting to make its way to bed and the hustle
      and the bustle of the day was done and people were starting to form
      into loose, friendly little groups; the kids had nearly worn
      themselves out and were quietly playing (not a game console in
      sight). I looked round at all these happy, contented folk and
      thought to myself, maybe we should do this again.

      Is it worth it, do you think?

      [Editor's note: we certainly do think it is, Fi!]

      If you did not get all seven parts, write: interact@...