WOSSNAME -- AUGUST 2007 -- part 2 of 7

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2007
      WOSSNAME -- AUGUST 2007 -- PART 2 OF 7 (continued)

      ====Part 2 - MORE NEWS AND THE SUCH

      5) JAMBOREE PICTURES
      6) IMAGE OF THE MONTH
      7) GUARDS! GUARDS! PODCAST
      8) MAKING MAGIC: A GLIMPSE, OR NOT
      9) RHIANNA PRATCHETT INTERVIEW
      10) THE REAL GRANNY ACHING
      11) PROVING THE WORLD IS ROUND
      12) ACTION REPLAY 1: LORDS AND LADIES FAN FILM TRAILER
      13) ACTION REPLAY 2: PTERRY INTERVIEWS OF NOTE
      14) THE GOOD WEBBE GUIDE

      5) DISCWORLD JAMBOREE: NOW WITH ICONOGRAPHS!

      For those who, unlike Fi, couldn't be there to take part:

      http://www.discworldjamboree.com/jamboree07/

      A couple of Jamboree images, provided by Her Fi-ness:

      http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/22/1373408/poster.jpg
      http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/22/1373408/Mail%20out%20A4%
      20poster.pdf

      The above links only will last for 30 days, but these below will
      live more permanently in the WOSSNAME Yahoogroups files section,
      although you have to sign in to Yahoogroups to see them:

      6) IMAGE OF THE MONTH

      The Quirm Floral Clock, by Paul Kidby!

      http://www.paulkidby.net/Floralclock.jpg

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      7) RADIO DAZE: A CLASSIC PODCAST OF GUARDS! GUARDS!

      The Atlanta Radio Theatre Company (ARTC) is presenting, with
      permission, ARTC Podcast 51 -- a podcast of its 2001 live
      performance of the ARTC adaptation of Terry Pratchett's Guards!
      Guards!, featuring the "super-special" guest voice of John Rhys-
      Davies (effectively making it a hat trick for the Discworld-Lord of
      the Rings connection this month!). This will be presented in two
      parts, in conjunction with Dragon Con 2007 which will run from 31st
      August to 3rd September:

      http://artcpodcast.org/index.php?post_id=246184
      http://artcpodcast.org

      About the ARTC:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Radio_Theatre_Company

      About Dragon Con:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DragonCon

      Dragon Con's website:
      http://www.dragoncon.org/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      8) MAKING MAGIC: A SPY'S-EYE VIEW

      Jason Anthony of Discworld Monthly recently visited the set of The
      Colour of Magic. He's forbidden to tell much about it yet (upon pain
      of pain, no doubt...), but his blog entry is here:

      http://tinyurl.com/3b89my

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      9) HERRYDETERRY TALENT: RHIANNA PRATCHETT INTERVIEW

      Jem Alexander of online gaming 'zine Joystiq interviews Heavenly
      Sword's Rhianna Pratchett. Who is, of course, the Master's daughter
      and an award-winning games writer in her own right:

      "My dad was very techy and into computers, electronics, robots and
      that kind of thing. He'd bring something that clicked and whirred
      home and I was an only child so, of course, I was fascinated with
      whatever my dad was doing. Games were only really becoming
      commercial then and maybe he thought it was quite cute to get his
      six year old daughter playing a game where she would run around with
      a sword killing giant bugs..."

      The entire interview can be found at:

      http://tinyurl.com/2jv6zq

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      10) THE REAL GRANNY ACHING - OR ONE OF THEM...

      "Only sixty years ago - I say only, but sixty years is a long time
      and I never want to know what sixty years feels like; but I suppose
      it is short really, and well within the living memory of the
      standard Grandmother - sixty or so years ago, there was a
      shepherdess in North Yorkshire. Shepherdess is a poor word for her!
      It is a word that gives me a picture of a well set up young woman,
      with porcelain skin and good teeth, a pretty pinafore and a
      cleavage. She was none of that..."

      Jake's blog is well worth reading! Here's the story of the
      shepherdess:
      http://www.jakethackray.com/content/view/277/51/

      Lyrics to Old Molly Metcalfe, the song about the shepherdess, can be
      found here: http://www.jakethackray.com/content/view/81/26/

      Special thanks to Mrs Cake of Bugarup University for pointing
      this one out!

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      11) PROVING THAT ROUNDWORLD IS...ROUND?

      by the Applegate Ranch Gang

      In 1931, Wilbur Glenn Voliva of Zion, Illinois posted a curious
      challenge. Wilbur believed wholeheartedly that our world is flat --
      believed it so wholeheartedly that he posted a USD$5,000 reward --
      quite a tidy sum in those days -- to be awarded to anyone who could
      conclusively prove him wrong! From the original article in Modern
      Mechanics:

      "Many have tried to claim the $5,000-and all have failed. The catch
      is that your proof must not start with the assumption that the world
      is round, or rather a globe, for Voliva believes the world is round,
      but a round, flat disc rather than a sphere. Without that basic
      premise that the earth is spherical no one has found an absolutely
      convincing proof that Voliva is wrong when he describes his disc-
      shaped world, firmly planted on its foundations, surrounded by a
      wall of ice to keep mariners from falling off the edge, and
      surmounted by a crystal dome in which the stars are hung like
      chandeliers to light the night. Nor can you submit proof to
      absolutely disprove the belief of Voliva that the sun, instead of
      being an 800,000 mile ball of fire more than ninety millions of
      miles away is really a fairly insignificant affair, only some 27 to
      30 miles in diameter and about 3,000 miles above the earth. Or that
      the sun and moon move in orbits while the earth stands still, that
      the moon is about the same size as the sun and the same distance
      from the earth, shines by its own light, and moves in much the same
      orbit as the sun."

      Sound familiar? Have to wonder if Pterry ever came across these
      obscure oddities. The article went on to say:

      "Ever hear of Orlando Ferguson? Ferguson, a resident of Hot Springs,
      South Dakota, designed a weird and wonderful map back in 1893 which
      showed a square world, with an angel seated on each of the four
      corners. The inhabitable or known world was not, however, flat. The
      central section, comprising what we know as the northern hemisphere,
      was convex, curving downward from the central "north pole" to the
      equator, while the southern hemisphere was concave, curving upward
      from the equator to the rim. The shape was much like a soup plate
      with a raised center."

      We live at Hot Springs, SD, and have seen a copy of Ferguson's map
      on the wall at the H.S. Historical Museum, but until today, had
      never been able to find out any further information. At the time, I
      didn't connect it with Discworld, because of the original 'inverted
      bowl' design. Unlike the usual 'flat earthers' concepts, these
      include the crystal sphere & tiny sun orbiting. All that is missing
      is Great A'Tuin & the elephants!

      The original article (nine pages) is reprinted here:

      http://tinyurl.com/2drng3

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      12) ACTION REPLAY 1: LORDS AND LADIES FAN FILM

      Sometimes even amateurs can get it so right...in essence...

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2WlmsLni84

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      13) ACTION REPLAY 2: SOME EXCELLENT PTERRY INTERVIEWS

      Interview with Mark Lawson, parts 1 and 2:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs2BqxjVBCc

      Pterry letting his hair - well, hat - down at the Schweibenwelt
      Festival:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncC1DYrlOFs

      Source: http://www.chronicles-network.com/forum/36581-terry-
      pratchett-on-youtube.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      14) THE GOOD WEBBE GUIDE

      Mad Hamish's site. Not updated recently, but still a pleasant look-
      in; Mad Hamish himself informs me that the site may not be there
      forever, so have yourselves a shufti now:

      http://www.silverhorde.co.uk/

      ***

      The Discworld Homework Guide, a fascinating collection of essays
      on Terry Pratchett and his oeuvre by Mike Kew:

      http://www.kew1.demon.co.uk/homework.html

      The site also offers a Discworld Celebrity Matchmaker service. Up
      since 2001 and still working:

      http://www.kew1.demon.co.uk/match/index.html

      ***

      The ever-popular LiveJournal's (not, that's not ironic) Discworld
      community:

      http://community.livejournal.com/discworld/

      If you did not get all seven parts, write: interact@...