WOSSNAME -- JULY 2007 -- part 3 of 7

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2007
      WOSSNAME - JULY 2007 -- PART 3 OF 7 (continued)

      ====Part 3 - ...AND MORE...

      13) PTERRY: BELOVED BY LOCUS READERS
      14) THE REAL C.M.O.T. DIBBLER
      15) FROM RUSSIA WITH MAMMOTHS
      16) DESPATCHES FROM KLATCH
      17) ELEPHANTS AROUND YOUR NECK
      18) THE GOOD WEBBE GUIDE

      13) THE MOB FILMS MOB WILL LOVE THIS ONE...

      From Locus magazine, issue 78, June 2007:

      Waterstone's Poll - UK bookseller Waterstone's compiled a list of
      100 beloved books in honor of the chain's 25th anniversary, and
      polled thousands of readers to create a ranked list of their 25
      favorites. Coming in at a solid fifteenth place:

      The Colour of Magic, Terry Pratchett

      Kudos to Waterstone's customers for their impeccable taste!

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      14) DISCWORLD MOVIES SPECIAL: THE REAL C.M.O.T. DIBBLER

      This month, in honour of the filming of The Colour of Magic/The
      Light Fantastic, we'll take a look at the real Roundworld figures
      whose lives and careers no doubt inspired Pterry when he was writing
      the character of Holy Wood-possessed C.M.O.T. Dibbler in Moving
      Pictures: the old-time filmmaking giants Sam Goldwyn and Cecil B.
      DeMille, not forgetting a passing nod to Busby Berkeley.

      Goldwyn was a famously hard-nosed businessman with an eye for the
      main chance and was one of the original creators of the modern
      Hollywood film industry, founding the companies that would
      eventually become Paramount and MGM. Born Schmuel Gelbfisz in late
      19th-century Poland, he emigrated first to England and then in 1899
      to New York under the Anglicised name of Samuel Goldfish -- a name
      that would be quite at home in Ankh-Morpork, and surely the
      inspiration Pterry chose when naming Thomas Silverfish, the
      Alchemist who discovered octocellulose -- where he fell in love with
      the nascent film industry and co-produced a film directed by the
      young novice Cecil B. DeMille. In 1916, having changed his name
      legally to Goldwyn, he created Goldwyn Pictures and gave the world
      the iconic Leo the Lion trademark.

      Goldwyn had a reputation for excellence in filmmaking (many of his
      films and their leading actors were nominated for Academy Awards)and
      possessed a sharp talent for finding the best directors and actors.
      His extravagant personality and habit of coming up with quotable
      malapropisms, many of which live on even today were pure Holy Wood
      Dibbler -- for example:

      'In two words, im-possible.'
      'Let's have some new cliches.'
      'You've got to take the bull between your teeth.'
      'Our comedies are not to be laughed at.'

      ...and one dear to Dibbler's heart in any of his ventures: "A verbal
      contract isn't worth the paper it's written on."

      Goldwyn was a master of making people do what he wanted, but Cecil
      Blount DeMille was a genius at giving the public what *they* wanted.
      Born to middle-class Anglo-American parents, DeMille was both a
      flamboyant showman and a dedicated craftsman who assembled a stable
      of high-quality actors and used them in film after film. He was
      known for being a tyrant on-set and would make life very hard for
      his leading actors if they dared baulk at scenes calling for risky
      actions, such as wrestling with lions or working in a blazing
      building -- this was in the days before professional stuntmen!

      DeMille may not have been adept at directing individual performers,
      but his forte was directing huge casts; he gave the world the
      "thousands of extras!" concept and excelled at vast spectacles, such
      as the parting of the Red Sea (The Ten Commandments), the toppling
      of a pagan temple (Samson and Delilah), and train wrecks (Union
      Pacific, and The Greatest Show on Earth). DeMille also was one of
      the first directors in Hollywood to become a celebrity as himself,
      often acting in and narrating his own films. A tireless worker, he
      was still climbing the scenery in his seventies, to make sure that
      every detail was perfect.

      We can't think of Century of the Fruitbat Pictures without a fond
      mention of Busby Berkeley. What DeMille did for spectacular ensemble
      pieces, Berkeley did for musical dance sequences. William Berkeley
      Enos started his career working for Samuel Goldwyn; he developed
      his famous "trademark" techniques of parade-of-faces in a chorus
      line, using dancers in geometric and kaleidoscopic patterns, and
      choreographing routines that started on a stage and then moved out
      into a cinematic fantasy-world. Berkeley was the innovator who moved
      cameras about and experimented with the unusual camera perspectives
      that became a major part of what made films different from stage
      productions, and along the way established the film musical as a
      genre of its own. Some even say he was the inventor of camp cinema.

      Because he was allowed to direct his musical pieces independently of
      the main film direction, they were often bizarrely unconnected to
      the rest of the picture! He spent his career always seeking more and
      more spectacular pieces and tried to never repeat himself.

      Berkeley was also famously "Hollywood", with six marriages and a
      high-profile affair with a leading female star. All in all, he was
      a consummate showman whose work, for all its kitsch, will never be
      forgotten.

      Sources:
      http://www.cecilbdemille.com/
      http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/database/goldwyn_s.html
      http://golden_age_films.tripod.com/html/berkeley/buzbio.htm
      ...and Wikipedia, of course

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      15) FROM RUSSIA WITH...MAMMOTHS?

      We know that Pterry was in Russia last month; now, new iconographs
      have surfaced that suggest that it wasn't all book signings and boat
      rides in St. Petersburg! Consider the evidence:

      http://northernplanets.blogspot.com/2007/07/pterry-and-baby-mammoth.
      html

      or http://tinyurl.com/2mjv3d

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      16) YES VIRGINIA, THERE *IS* A REAL KFL - AND THEY READ WOSSNAME!

      We've received an email from Mrs Lyon, a member of the KFL:

      "My young Marine progeny is a member of the 'Foreign Legion'. Lucky
      for him he has not yet forgotten how to receive e-mails. He asked me
      to forward this newsletter [ed. note: that's WOSSNAME]. So I have
      forwarded it and the following narratives. Hopefully he will
      remember how to open them when they show up. And also remember that
      they are addressed to him. And that he is himself. O dear...

      "Thanks bunches, folks. Our 'Klatchian Foreign Legend' laughs his
      butt off when he reads these. And then he shares them with his
      buddies.

      "The 'west' Klatchians - aka Jordanian truck drivers - call him Al
      Afad, or something like that - one of many words for 'Lion' -
      hopefully one of the more positive appellations!"

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      17) SPEAKING OF 1,000 ELEPHANTS...

      Jeweller Myra Fox (see last month's MidSouthCon report) responded to
      my enquiry about her Discworld-themed elephants:

      I would also be glad to make a similar necklace and earring set for
      the cost of the materials and postage for anyone who requests. There
      is a choice between jasper and serpentine elephants which are
      pendant size and have wonderfully hand carved details. Anyone is
      welcome to email me for any further information. www.bead-towne.com
      or myra@...

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      18) THE GOOD WEBBE GUIDE

      A timely and fascinating page. Paul Kidby charts the progress of his
      cover art for Making Money, with various images:

      http://www.paulkidby.net/PhotoGallery.html

      (note: check at the bottom of the page under Miscellany for some
      more fascinating glimpses into the genius of Kidby at work)

      -----------------------

      Out of Cheese Error: a fan site dedicated to Ponder Stibbons!

      http://www.angelfire.com/wizard2/stibbons/

      -----------------------

      Stitch this! Lyndisfarne, a great site offering Discworld cross-
      stitch kits and patterns, featuring three pages of Paul Kidby-
      inspired stitch-witchery:

      http://www.lyndisfarne.com/about.php

      -----------------------

      A French Discworld fan site - always an eye-opener to see the way
      different, i.e. non-English-speaking, languages and cultures deal
      with Discworld character names, concepts and punes:

      http://cyberpingui.free.fr/sf/discworld.php

      ...and an amusing "which A-M City Watch character are you?" quiz:

      http://www.quizilla.com/users/Margolotta/quizzes/Discworld:%20Which%
      20Ankh-Morpork%20City%20Watch%20Character%20are%20YOU?/

      or http://tinyurl.com/2l8w5m

      [Editor's note: for the record, I got Vetinari. Hmm.]

      If you did not get all seven parts, write: interact@...