WOSSNAME -- JULY 2007 -- part 1 of 7

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2007
      July 2007 (Volume 10, Issue 7)
      your name, country and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No.
      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: T.F. (Tiff) Peasey
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      Convention Reporter: Mithtrethth Hania Ogg
      Puzzle Editor: in hiding
      DW Horoscope: Lady Anaemia Asterisk
      Emergency Staff: Jason Parlevliet, Nathan Clissold, Dylan Williams
      Art Director: Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano

      ====Part 1 -- ALL THE NEWS THAT FITS

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH
      2) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      3) PTERRY NEWS IN PUBLISHING
      4) MAKING MONEY ON THE STAGE!

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS

      5) DISCWORLD JAMBOREE UPDATE
      6) A WORLD GONE MADDE!
      7) JOSH KIRBY EXHIBITION UPDATE
      8) FORTHCOMING DISCWORLD BOOKS TO ORDER
      9) PARTY WEAR FOR THE FASHIONABLE ASSASSIN
      10) HOT POTATOES
      11) SIMON'S HOROSCOPE PROOF REVISITED
      12) GOOD OMENS: MAKING SCENTS

      ====Part 3 -- ...AND MORE...

      13) PTERRY: BELOVED BY LOCUS READERS
      14) THE REAL C.M.O.T. DIBBLER
      15) FROM RUSSIA WITH MAMMOTHS
      16) DESPATCHES FROM KLATCH
      17) ELEPHANTS AROUND YOUR NECK
      18) THE GOOD WEBBE GUIDE

      ====Part 4 -- B.U. NEWS AND WEIRD ALICE

      19) BUGARUP UNIVERSITY CAMPUS NEWSROUND
      20) THE CLACKS LOG OF WEIRD ALICE LANCREVIC

      ====Part 5 -- WEIRD ALICE'S CLACKS LOG

      21) THE CLACKS LOG OF WEIRD ALICE LANCREVIC, CONTINUED

      ====Part 6 -- MORE WEIRD ALICE

      22) ...AND CONTINUED...

      ====Part 7 -- HOROSCOPE

      23) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE, and CLOSE

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH

      "You need tragic relief. You need darkness for the light to show up.
      You need a way out of the forest. A truly dark novel would be a
      forest with no way out." -- Terry Pratchett, 2003

      MOVING PICTURES, OF A SORT

      By now, you are all aware that Mob Films are producing a new live-
      action film combining The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic,
      to be aired on Sky One in 2008. Once again, Vadim Jean is at the
      helm. Also, we're told that the budget this time will be double that
      for Hogfather; furthermore, David Jason is heading the cast list, as
      he did in Hogfather, and is acting as an executive producer for the
      venture. Sir David will be playing the part of Rincewind. Other
      well-known actors are signing on for parts, including David Bradley
      (Hogwarts caretaker Argus Filch in the Harry Potter films) as Cohen
      the Barbarian.

      All told, this is good news -- the more Discworld films the merrier,
      surely! -- but there are a few clouds on the fandom horizon. I've
      been glancing at a number of Pratchett message boards, and the
      overwhelming reaction to this news so far is a resounding "OHH NOES!
      PLEASE NOT DAVID JASON AS RINCEWIND!" and the like; given that the
      fan reaction to Hogfather-the-film was also quite mixed, this does
      not bode well for viewership and future DVD sales among the
      millions- strong Discworld demographic. That said, the purpose of
      making the films is surely to bring Discworld to an even wider
      audience whose perceptions of the stories and characters haven't
      been coloured by the books...um, isn't it?

      My own feelings about it are also somewhat mixed. I've been hanging
      out for Discworld live- action films for many years now, and I'm
      aware of the many difficulties faced by filmmakers when it comes to
      pleasing the producers, backers, studio and such. But bringing
      Discworld to the screen is trickier than, say, Lord of the Rings or
      even Harry Potter because the Discworld novels have given us so many
      strong -- dare I say immutable -- physical descriptions of
      characters. With Tolkien, we knew that the Elves were elvish and
      that the hobbits were short and had large hairy feet, but there were
      few indicators as to what Aragorn or for that matter Sauron looked
      like...yet we *know* that Rincewind is skinny and gangly, that Nobby
      Nobbs is simian and shorter than the average dwarf, that the Dean is
      enormously fat, that Carrot is tall and strapping and definitely
      under thirty, and that Death is a seven-foot-tall skellington (thank
      the gods for CGI there!). I'm a longtime admirer of David Jason's
      stunning comedic and dramatic acting, and while his Albert wasn't
      "my" Albert it was a creditable Albert, but for all Jason's talent I
      can't easily imagine him as any version of Rincewind that tallies
      with the Rincewind we know and love (or at least are amused by...).
      But then I'm not a filmmaker, I don't have the millions required to
      produce one, and I don't know that Pterry would approve of my style
      of doing Discworld films if I were and did!

      So let's have a big HUZZAH! for The Colour of Magic film, and here's
      hoping that it's another winner for Sky and that it brings a new
      horde of readers into the Discworld fold.

      (Incidentally, if you've not seen pictures of the CoM set and props,
      check out _http://www.paulkidby.com/news/jun2007.html_ )

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      3) PTERRYNEWS FROM AROUND ROUNDWORLD

      DATELINE GERMANY: get ready for a musical adaptation of Mort at the
      Markthalle, Klosterwall 11, 20095 Hamburg. Performances will be on
      the 15-17 and 27-29 December 2007 and 3-5 and 15-17 January 2008.

      ***

      FOR AMERICAN FANS: a reminder that Pterry will be an honoured guest
      at the Library of Congress-sponsored 2007 National Book Festival, on
      the National Mall in Washington, D.C., between 7th and 14th streets
      (come rain or shine, they say). The Festival takes place on Saturday
      29th September from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and is free and open to the
      public.

      Further information can be found at http://tinyurl.com/2r385d

      ***

      PUBLISHING NEWS AROUND THE NOT-A-DISC:

      The Hogfather screenplay will be published by Goldmann/Random House
      in Germany and Talpress in the Czech Republic.

      Witches Abroad and Small Gods have been published by Cherubion/Delta
      Vision in Hungary.

      Elsmo in Russia have published The Last Hero and are in the process
      of reissuing the first 20 Discworld titles with new covers.

      In France, Editions l'Atalante have just released The Science of
      Discworld and will be publishing The Art of Discworld.

      In Romania, Rao will be publishing Wyrd Sisters in autumn 2007 and
      Guards! Guards! in spring 2008.

      Tonleikur in Iceland will publish The Colour of Magic; Ithaki
      in Turkey will publish Reaper Man, Witches Abroad and Small Gods

      Also, look out for Discworld releases in Finland (Jingo in hardback
      and Moving Pictures and Lords and Ladies in paperback), Turkey
      (Reaper Man, Witches Abroad and Small Gods), and Iceland (The Colour
      of Magic) in the near future.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      4) MOIST TREADS THE BOARDS - IN RECORD TIME!

      The Studio Theatre Club in Abingdon will present the world premiere
      stage adaptation of Making Money in November, within a month of the
      release of the hotly-anticipated 36th Discworld novel. Dramatised by
      Stephen Briggs, the production runs from 20th-24th November. Here be
      the blurb:

      "Moist von Lipwig is bored at the Post Office. There's no challenge
      -- and his girlfriend's off chasing pottery men. Then Lord Vetinari
      offers him a job. A job with prospects, a gold hat, a dog -- and the
      chance to get killed by unpleasant people. How can he resist...?"

      Unicorn Theatre, Thames Street, Abingdon, OXON
      20-24 November
      7.30 (+ 2.30 Sat)
      Tickets 8GBP

      Booking information from sbriggs@...
      or from the Studio Theatre website:
      www.studiotheatreclub.com/CurrentPlans.html

      5) THE MOB FILMS MOB WILL LOVE THIS ONE...

      From Locus magazine, issue 78, June 2007:

      Waterstone's Poll - UK bookseller Waterstone's compiled a list of
      100 beloved books in honour of the chain's 25th anniversary, and
      polled thousands of readers to create a ranked list of their 25
      favorites. Coming in at a solid fifteenth place:

      The Colour of Magic, Terry Pratchett

      Kudos to Waterstone's customers for their impeccable taste!

      If you did not get all seven parts, write: interact@...