WOSSNAME -- NOVEMBER 2000 additional

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26 6:22 AM
      Oops. I left out a few things in Parts 1 and 2:

      Need a Hogswatch present for the Discworld fan in your life?

      Earlier this year, the North American Discworld Society produced
      some T-shirts, based on the great designs of Rhett Ransom Pennell.
      The first print run sold out very quickly, so we followed it up
      with a second, and while almost all of the T-shirts have now sold,
      we have a few left in stock. You can see the designs at:

      For shipping within the United States, the T-shirts cost $14 each,
      with a discount for orders of more than one T-shirt. We're giving
      a $1 donation to the Orangutan Foundation for each T-shirt sold,
      and each order also includes a set of three buttons, featuring more
      of Rhett's artwork. If you're interested in buying one (or more)
      of these T-shirts, please send e-mail to acm@... for the
      current list of available sizes. (We have some in XXL and XXXL,
      and they make great night-shirts!)

      -- Andrew C. Millard, former WOSSNAME Editor and head
      of the KFL T-shirt program

      I'm trying to locate a deck of Discworld tarot
      cards my friend claims she saw on the internet. Could
      you recommend some places to search ? Thanks so much.

      -- Denise Varisco bigchiefredchief@...

      L Sprague de Camp, Nov 27, 1907 - Nov 6, 200

      L(yon) Sprague de Camp, noted science fiction and fantasy writer of
      the Golden Age, born in New York City on November 27, 1907, passed
      away on November 6, 2000 in Plano, Texas. Formerly a resident of
      Villanova, Pennsylvania, Sprague and his late wife Catherine called
      Plano, Texas their home since 1989. Catherine Crook de Camp,
      Sprague's wife of 60 years preceded him in death on April 9, 2000.

      Sprague de Camp was a master of that rarity, “humorous fantasy.” As
      a young writer collaborating with Fletcher Pratt, he set forth the
      world-hopping adventures of Harold Shea. These magical adventures of
      the classical world are still available today in the omnibus volume,
      “The Complete Compleat Enchanter”. In 1992, at the urging of Harold
      Shea’s fans, Sprague de Camp and Christopher Stasheff collaborated
      on “The Enchanter Reborn” and the travel adventures continued.

      L. Sprague de Camp, who served as a Lt. Commander in the U.S. Naval
      Reserve during the Second World War, will be cremated; and his
      ashes, together with those of Catherine, will be laid to final rest
      at the Arlington National Cemetery.

      Sprague de Camp edited and contributed to various stories about the
      life and adventures of a swashbuckling character, “Conan”,
      originally created by the late Robert E. Howard; and went on to
      produce new Conan stories in collaboration with the late Lin Carter
      and others. Two theatrical movies have been released starring highly
      acclaimed actor Arnold Schwarzeneger as “Conan”.

      Perhaps Sprague’s most loved science fiction on time travel is the
      classic, Lest Darkness Fall (1941), which is still in print today.

      Sprague received the coveted GANDALF, the Grand Master Award for
      Lifetime Achievement in Fantasy; and the Science Fiction Writers of
      America’s “GRAND MASTER NEBULA” Award in the 1970’s. These and
      Sprague’s numerous other awards were a source of honor from the
      profession to which he devoted himself since the 1930s.

      Though the man is gone, the many works of L. Sprague de Camp still
      live on. “The Wheels of If,” first published in 1940 was recently
      reprinted with two of Harry Turtledove’s original novellas in DOWN
      IN THE BOTTOMLANDS (and other places)”.

      For Terry Pratchett fans, his most appealing work would probably be
      the Harold Shea stories, collected variously as THE INCOMPLETE
      three currently available from Amazon.com, and the first available
      in used bookstores and in many libraries.

      I had the honor to have met Sprague through my friend the late
      Lin Carter, and we had a memorable lunch at which he talked
      about various types of swords and swordplay in literature. It
      was a long time ago, but it is still fresh in my mind.

      L. Sprague de Camp will be remembered and deeply missed
      by those who knew him and loved him.

      -- Joe Schaumburger

      Partington, Rebekka A [Advantra] writes:

      Well, everybody, last night my lovely boyfriend asked me to
      marry him (yes I > did say Yes)!

      As you can probably guess, I'm very excited about this :)

      Just thought I'd let you all know.

      the newly engaged

      Unseen Theatre Company's production of "Guards! Guards!" in Adelaide has
      sadly come to an end.
      Thank you to all those fans who graced our doors (even though we had to turn
      some of you away).
      We were overjoyed to have full houses most nights and what appeared from the
      noise level and laughter to be most appreciative audiences.
      To those who "want more" - keep an eye out for the sequel "Men at Arms"
      coming up next year.

      -- Pamela Munt

      Here is a review of our show for those who couldn't make it:-

      Good work from Pratchett guardian

      GUARDS! GUARDS! Unseen Theatre Company

      Bakehouse Theatre

      Until November 18

      Reviewed by Rod Lewis

      UNSEEN Theatre Company was formed specifically to produce Terry Pratchett's
      funny fantasy stories, and this one, adapted for the stage by Stephen
      Briggs, excels with a minimum of props and scenery.

      In the fictional land of Discworld, the Elucidated Brethren of Ebon Night
      steal a book of magic and terrorise the city of Ankh-Morpork by conjuring up
      a giant dragon.

      Fans of Pratchett will be delighted by director Pamela Munt's simplistic
      creation of this fantastic world that rides upon the back of the great
      space-faring turtle called A'Tuin.

      Through lighting and sound effects and ample imagination, Munt's Discworld
      comes to life filled with magic, beasts, warriors and dwarfs.

      Although the play - the company's second after Mort - moves as slowly as
      A'Tuin at times, particularly during the lengthy first act, the quirky
      characterisations and creative touches keep things interesting. And a few
      more performances should see a much tighter presentation.

      The 18 cast members vary from good to the exceptional with Pete Davies,
      Melanie Munt, Bruce Alcorn, Danny Sag, Richard Burgess and Chris Irving the

      Melanie Munt, in particular, is a delight. She plays Footnote, interrupting
      the play regularly to explain particular words or situations, her giant,
      asterix-topped staff reminding us that she is indeed, a footnote to the

      Sharman Gilchrist's costumes, ranging from that of Death to an orang-utan,
      are detailed and stunning, a highlight of the show.

      In contrast to those in Unseen Theatre's first journey to Discworld, Mort,
      the sets are kept to a minimum, with basic furniture representing the
      settings of the play.

      An efficient backstage crew whiz through the scene changes, but Neil Waller
      on lighting and sound is a devastating letdown. His cues are, figuratively
      speaking, all over the show.

      Despite that setback, this company imaginatively brings Pratchett's quirky,
      laugh-a-minute fable to life.