WOSSNAME - JUNE 2007 -- PART 2 OF 9 (continued) .

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2007
      WOSSNAME -- JUNE 2007 -- PART 2 OF 9 (continued)

      ====Part 2 - MORE NEWS AND THE SUCH

      10) PTERRY AT LIBRARY OF CONGRESS BOOK FESTIVAL
      11) BAFTA AWARDS FOR HOGFATHER
      12) PTERRY POPS UP IN INTERZONE
      13) NEWS FROM COLLECTORS' GIFTS
      14) MIDSOUTHCON: A PERSONAL REPORT
      15) ANOTHER LOOK: PTERRY FOURECKS INTERVIEW
      16) THE GOOD WEBBE GUIDE
      17) TURNWISE ALMANACK UPDATE
      18) BITS AND BOBS FROM DISCWORLD DISCUSSION GROUPS

      10) ALL THE PRESIDENT'S PTERRY

      The Library of Congress has announced its list of award-winning
      authors who will participate in its Seventh Annual National Book
      Festival:

      "Participating authors include fiction and fantasy writers Joyce
      Carol Oates, Jodi Picoult, Harry Turtledove, Edward P. Jones and
      Terry Pratchett."

      The Festival is a celebration of the joy of reading and of lifelong
      literacy, and includes a number of the world's leading authors:

      http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/
      story/06-22-2007/0004613658&EDATE=

      or http://tinyurl.com/36rgxm

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      11) HOGFATHER FOR THE WINS

      At the BAFTA Awards, held on 20 May 2007, HOGFATHER won the
      INTERACTIVITY category (the definition of which is "A programme or
      series that has been extended and enriched by the interactivity
      offered by new media. Any form of new media is eligible including
      web, mobile and red button interactive TV, or any cross-platform
      combination. The emphasis is on the creative approach and how the
      programme has been conceived with new media as an integral part of
      the production."

      Credits for the winning programme were: TERRY PRATCHETT'S HOGFATHER
      - Aidan Conway, Giles Pooley, Rod Brown, Ian Sharples (Mob Film
      Company/Sky One Networked Media)

      Mob Films garnered two additional wins at the BAFTA Craft Awards on
      22nd April: Gavin Finney, Director of Photography for Hogfather, in
      the Photography and Lighting Category, and the CGI team from MPC
      (Oliver Money and Simon Thomas) in the visual effects category.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      12) HE ALSO WRITES DISCWORLD STORIES...

      The May issue of Interzone contains a contribution from some feller
      called Terry Pratchett:

      http://www.uksfbooknews.net/2007/04/19/interzone-210-out-in-may-from
      -tta-press/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      13) ALL THE NEWS FROM COLLECTORS' GIFTS

      An informative Clacks from Elton at Collectors Gifts:

      Terry Pratchett will be embarking upon his latest signing tour in a
      few months. You can find details at:
      http://www.collectorsgifts.co.uk/news.htm

      Items For Sale - although I have very little left, I have been
      selling what I have in a steady trickle on Ebay and have a few
      items still to list over the coming weeks. Please keep an eye on
      the following page:
      http://www.collectorsgifts.co.uk/rd/cg/

      Also, my wife and I are selling some of our private pieces here:
      http://www.collectorsgifts.co.uk/rd/tm/

      At the time of writing this message, the listed items consist of
      a VERY RARE Clarecraft Flintman and TWO Discworld pieces.
      Amazingly, all are at just 99p!

      Best wishes,

      Elton - http://www.collectorsgifts.co.uk/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      14) MIDSOUTHCON: UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL
      by Myra Fox

      This past weekend I attended all the panels PTerry was on including
      one where he read for almost an hour from "Making Money". I think it
      is going to be worth waiting for.

      He is such a great guest and is very friendly and gracious. My big
      regret was that due to a bum ankle I could not stand in line for an
      autograph. It was a very long line! I just wanted to have one book
      signed (sigh). I had picked out "Night Watch" as my favorite. That
      was an interesting thing...it sounds as though it is his favorite
      too. At least he seemed to come up with examples and bits from
      "Night Watch" more than any other book.

      I own a bead and jewelry shop and usually donate something for the
      charity art auction. This year I designed a necklace that had five
      elephant beads made of jasper that I combined with other jasper
      beads and some sterling silver beads and I called it The Fifth
      Elephant! It did quite well at the auction and so did a donation
      made by a friend of mine. She had made a beaded bookmark that said
      Property of Unseen University, donated by The Librarian OOK! (It
      had a couple of banana charms dangling from it too). I am not sure
      if Terry Pratchett got to see those items but I hope he did.

      Thanks for the great newsletter.

      [Ed.: Thank YOU for the great article, Myra! If you have a webbe
      site for your jewellery artificing, do share it with us so we can
      purchase our own elephants...]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      15) ACTION REPLAY: PTERRY IN FOURECKS

      Worth reading again: an interesting interview from Australian
      newspaper, The Age:

      "Grim humour is an antidote to gloom. We raise the direst
      possibilities: Yellowstone, the Deccan Traps, asteroids, global
      warming. He says we should paint every single roof white to
      offset the loss of polar ice's reflectivity. It's a simple,
      bold, global solution that bears the hallmark of someone who is
      used to creating worlds that work."

      http://www.theage.com.au/news/books/meeting-mr-pratchett/2007/02/15/
      1171405371862.html?page=fullpage

      or http://tinyurl.com/yp8o4k

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      16) THE GOOD WEBBE GUIDE

      This is a new feature which I'd love to continue as a monthly column
      - so do send me your Discworld- or Pratchett-related website
      recommendations! This month, we'll start with a handful of oldies
      but greaties, because it often surprises me how many fans are unaware
      of these great sites:

      The great original:
      http://www.lspace.org/

      Paul Kidby's wonderful site:
      http://paulkidby.com/

      Stephen Briggs' site (also wonderful!):
      http://www.cmotdibbler.com/

      Discworld Monthly's links page (yes, we approve of
      our Honoured Competition):
      http://www.discworldmonthly.co.uk/dwlinks.php

      And the Unseen Theatre's site is well worth a look-in! Plenty of
      amusing iconographs of Discworld plays:
      http://www.unseen.com.au/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      17) TURNWISE ALMANACK: AN UPDATE

      It is a period of HTML war. Rebel coders, striking from a hidden HEX,
      have won another victory against the noble Blogging Empire. During
      the battle, hacker spies managed to steal secret plans to the
      Turnwise Almanack's ultimate weapon, the PAGE LAYOUT, an...well, you
      get the idea. After a hard-fought battle against the changes in HTML
      instructions, the updated Turnwise is back up with a new look! As
      always, the WOSSNAME monthly horoscopes and the works of Weird Alice
      Lancrevic are available for your perusal. The Turnwise Almanack is
      located at: http://turnwise.blogspot.com/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      18) BITS AND BOBS FROM THE BOARDS

      RIDDLE OF THE SPHINX

      A query from Lamortensen in the Disc Yahoogroup:

      Hi, I'm a children's author and I was wondering if anyone would be
      able to post the description of the sphinx Teppic encountered in
      Pyramids. Their encounter is on page 192, but I can't find my notes
      and copies of the book in my area are all checked out. Thanks!!!

      ...and an answer from Frances:

      The Sphinx is an unreal creature. It exists solely because it has
      been imagined. It is well-known that in an infinite universe
      everything that can be imagined must exist somewhere, and since
      many of them are not things that ought to exist in a well-ordered
      space-time frame they get shoved into a side dimension. This may
      go some way to explaining the Sphinx's chronic bad temper, although
      any creature created with the body of a lion, bosom of a woman and
      wings of an eagle has a serious identity crisis and doesn't need
      much to make it angry.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      FROM THE BU CAMPUS

      Has anyone else here been watching Life On Mars (8.30pm, Sunday,
      ABC)? It's a show about a police officer who, while in pursuit of a
      sadistic killer, gets into an accident, and when he wakes up he's
      in the past and finds that his modern policing methods don't always
      mesh with the more...er..."traditional" methods employed by the
      coppers of the past. Sounds almost familiar ...

      -- ConMan

      ***

      Yup, I have, and muchly enjoying, although I do keep thinking of the
      'hero' as Vimes! :-)

      -- Kate

      ***

      As soon as I read about it in the paper I thought of Vimes.
      -- Dianne

      If you did not get all parts, write: interact@...