WOSSNAME - JUNE 2007 -- PART 1 OF 9

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2007
      June 2007 (Volume 10, Issue 6)
      your name, country and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No.
      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: T.F. (Tiff) Peasey
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      Convention Reporter: Mithtrethth Hania Ogg
      Puzzle Editor: in hiding
      DW Horoscope: Lady Anaemia Asterisk
      Emergency Staff: Jason Parlevliet, Nathan Clissold, Dylan Williams
      Art Director: Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano

      ====Part 1 -- ALL THE NEWS THAT FITS

      1) HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JOE!
      2) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      3) ON THE RUSSIAN FRONT
      4) WILL HE WANT A SHRUBBERY?
      5) DW CON 2008
      6) MYTHOPOEIC FANTASY AWARDS NOMINATION
      7) FANTASY SOCIETY AWARDS NOMINATION
      8) WINTERSMITH WINS LOCUS AWARD
      9) MORE EDIBLE DISCWORLD!

      ====Part 2 -- ALL THE NEWS THAT DIDN'T

      10) PTERRY AT LIBRARY OF CONGRESS BOOK FESTIVAL
      11) BAFTA AWARDS FOR HOGFATHER
      12) PTERRY POPS UP IN INTERZONE
      13) NEWS FROM COLLECTORS' GIFTS
      14) MIDSOUTHCON: A PERSONAL REPORT
      15) ANOTHER LOOK: PTERRY FOURECKS INTERVIEW
      16) THE GOOD WEBBE GUIDE
      17) TURNWISE ALMANACK UPDATE
      18) BITS AND BOBS FROM DISCWORLD DISCUSSION GROUPS

      ====Part 3 -- ...AND MORE...

      19) DISCWORLD JAMBOREE: AN EARLY LOOK-IN
      20) INTERVIEW: IAN STEWART
      21) WOSSNAME VOLUNTEERS SUBMISSIONS GUIDE
      22) THE CLACKS LOG OF WEIRD ALICE LANCREVIC

      ====Part 4 -- MORE ALICE

      24) WEIRD ALICE, continued

      ====Part 5 -- MORE ALICE, AGAIN

      25) WEIRD ALICE, continuinuinued
      26) THE NEW DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      ====Part 6 -- HOROSCOPE, continued

      27) HOROSCOPE - MAR->JUN

      ====Part 7 -- HOROSCOPE, continued

      28) HOROSCOPE - JUN->OCT

      ====Part 8 -- HOROSCOPE, continued

      29) HOROSCOPE - OCT->FEB

      ====Part 9 -- HOROSCOPE, continued, and CLOSE

      30) HOROSCOPE FEB->MAR
      31) WELL DONE, YOU TENACIOUS LOT!

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      1) HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JOE SCHAUMBURGER

      For he's a jolly good fellow! -- and is celebrating his birthday in
      a couple of days' time. So please join me in wishing our esteemed
      Retired Editor the happiest of birthdays and a long, healthy and
      happy retirement. I don't know if he'd want me to reveal which
      birthday this is, but let's just say he's had quite a lot of practice
      at blowing out candles. Best wishes, Joe, and do keep an eye on us!

      Greetings, O WOSSNAME-ers! As this is my first issue as official
      editor-publisher of WOSSNAME, I think I should take a few words to
      introduce myself...so, like, hello!

      I came to this zine by a circuitous and unusual route that, along
      the way, led me from the wilds of rural Ireland to the wilder wilds
      of darkest Fourecks. I say "circuitous and unusual" because I'd
      never been a part of any fandoms, never belonged to a fanclub, and
      never attended a fan convention of any sort (to this day); I'd only
      ever used the internet for business and family communication and the
      occasional bit of research, but one day in a fit of whimsy I typed
      "Terry Pratchett Discworld" into Google and found a world of witty,
      humorous, like-minded persons out there in the pixelverse - most
      relevantly, ozdw (the Bugarup University Yahoogroup) and, yes,
      WOSSNAME...so I joined both, and was not disappointed. Then, some
      three-and-a-bit years ago, Joe Schaumburger asked me if I'd be
      willing to fill in for Lady Aranluc, the WOSSNAME horoscopist, just
      "for a couple of issues"...and the rest is history.

      And speaking of history, even my introduction to the Discworld was
      a story of great reluctance - since repented for, naturally!

      Twenty-odd years ago, my best friend kept begging me to read what she
      claimed was the funniest pair of satirical fantasy novels ever
      published. I kept resisting because the cover art was totally not to
      my taste (although I later discovered that Josh Kirby was a superbly
      talented artist - and that's a good place to insert another plug for
      the current Kirby retrospective at the Walker Museum in Liverpool),
      but eventually she wore me down. Whoever first said "You can't judge
      a book by its cover" was so very right! After The Colour of Magic
      and The Light Fantastic, I next read Guards! Guards! - and was hooked
      forever. And ever since, I've gone through the world doing my best to
      turn as many people on to Discworld as I possibly can.

      Although I've committed a certain amount of journalism over the years
      (don't arsk us about journalism), I've never been in full charge of
      a newsletter or ezine before, so this is going to be a learning
      experience for all of us. Joe will still be (I hope!) helping and
      advising as his health permits, and yes, there will be changes in the
      future, but I solemnly - and whimsically - promise to give my very
      best to maintain the quality and traditional "feel" of WOSSNAME's
      ten-year reign. We may be smaller than a certain Monthly, but we're
      undeniably sillier - and as the ancient saying goes, "We're number
      two - we try harder!"

      So let me know what you think, but please don't bite the newbie! Hat.
      Hat. Hat.

      Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      3) FORGET JAPAN, PTERRY'S BIG IN RUSSIA!

      The Second Moscow International Open Book Festival took place on the
      6th-12th June and, according to the Russia InfoCentre, featured
      "meetings with famous writers" with Terry Pratchett at the top of
      the list. The announcement of the festival programme, in cheerily
      idiosyncratic English, can be found here:

      http://www.russia-ic.com/news/show/4121/

      Here's what was going to happen, and by now has happened:

      http://www.britishcouncil.org/russia-arts-terry-pratchett.htm

      ...and for those of you fluent in Russian:

      http://moscowbookfest.ru/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      4) ARISE, SIR PTERRY...?

      On the UK Government's official e-petition site, the petition to
      award Terry Pratchett a knighthood has garnered a total of 2,142
      signatures. Could this be enough to convince the Powers That Be to
      award Terry Pratchett a knighthood to go with his OBE? Although the
      petition is now closed and it's too late to add your support, the
      list of signers can be viewed here:

      http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Pratchett/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      5) DW CON 2008: A REMINDER

      The 2008 Discworld convention will take place at the Hilton
      Birmingham Metropole Hotel, on 22-25 August. The hotel is at the
      National Exhibition Centre, which is a ten minute free shuttle from
      the airport and railway station

      http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/BHXMETW-Hilton-Birmingham-
      Metropole-hotel/index.do

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      6) GOTTA LOVE THEM ANTHROPOMORPHIC PERSONIFICATIONS

      The Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Children's Literature honours
      books for younger readers (from Young Adults to picture books
      for beginning readers), in the tradition of The Hobbit or The
      Chronicles of Narnia. Terry Pratchett has been nominated, this
      year, for Wintersmith:

      http://mythsoc.org/news/mythopoeic.awards.finalists.2007/

      The winners of the 2007 awards will be announced during Mythcon
      XXXVIII, to be held from August 3-6, 2007, in Berkeley,
      California. A complete list of Mythopoeic Award winners is
      available on the Society website:

      http://www.mythsoc.org/awards.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      7) ...AND MORE ON THE NOMINATIONS FRONT

      The Ankh-Morpork Post Office Handbook Discworld Diary 2007 and Terry
      Pratchett's Hogfather: The Illustrated Screenplay have been nominated
      for British Fantasy Awards:

      http://www.britishfantasysociety.org/awards.html

      You can vote if you're a member of the British Fantasy Society
      - so go for it!

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      8) ...AND WE HAVE A WINNER!

      Wintersmith has won the Locus Award for Best Young Adult Book.
      This year's Locus Awards winners, which are voted for by Locus
      readers, were announced on 16 June:

      http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/005227.html

      9) BEST! DISCWORLD! PIZZA! RECIPE! EVER!

      Complete with iconographs!

      Remus Shepherd's Discworld Pizza! Sauce! Cheese! Continents!

      http://remus-shepherd.livejournal.com/81274.html

      If you did not get all parts, write: interact@...