WOSSNAME -- May 2007 -- Part 1 of 6

    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2007

      May 2007 (Volume 10, Issue 5)

      your name, country and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No.

      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: T.F. (Tiff) Peasey
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      Convention Reporter: Mithtrethth Hania Ogg
      Puzzle Editor: in hiding
      DW Horoscope: Lady Anaemia Asterisk
      Emergency Staff: Jason Parlevliet, Nathan Clissold, Dylan Williams
      Art Director: Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano

      ====Part 1 -- VITAL AND NOT-SO-VITAL NEWS

      1) WYRD SISTERS IN BASEL
      2) WINTERSMITH GOES WALKABOUT
      3) OUT OF THIS WORLD: JOSH KIRBY RETROSPECTIVE
      4) PRATCHETT COMPETITION ON BEBO
      5) WHAT'S IN A WOSSNAME?
      6) DISCWORLD 2007 JAMBOREE

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS AND WEIRD ALICE

      7) PTERRY'S OCTOBER 2007 SIGNING TOUR DATES
      8) THE CLACKS LOG OF WEIRD ALICE LANCREVIC

      ====Part 3 -- ALICE AND ANAEMIA

      9) THE CLACKS LOG OF WEIRD ALICE LANCREVIC (cont.)
      10) THE NEW DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      ====Part 4 -- STARS IN YOUR EYES

      11) THE NEW DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE (cont.)

      ====Part 5 -- HOROSCOPE, CONTINUED

      12) THE NEW DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE (cont.)

      ====Part 6 -- AND THE REST...

      13) THE NEW DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE (cont.)
      14) EDITORIAL: AND IT'S GOODNIGHT FROM HIM

      1) WYRD SISTERS IN BASEL

      The Gay Beggars (English theatre group of University of Basel,
      Switzerland) present Terry Pratchett's Wyrd Sisters (adapted for
      stage by Stephen Briggs).

      Dates: June 8 & 9, 12, 15 - 17, 20, 22 & 23
      Time: 8pm
      Place: Cellar Theater, Nadelberg 6, Basel, Switzerland
      Tickets:
      Students: 12 Swiss francs
      Standard: 18 Swiss francs

      Reservations: gaybeggars@...
      or +41 61 267 2790 (office hours)
      website: http://www.unibas.ch/gaybeggars

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      2) WINTERSMITH: TOO GOOD TO ACCIDENTALLY GIVE AWAY?

      In disc@yahoogroups.com, Nisaba Merrieweather writes:

      I bought a copy of Wintersmith recently, enjoyed it, then made a
      fatal error. I like to have one of every Discworld novel on my
      shelves, and if I come across any second hand copies of books I
      already have, I promptly bookcross them
      (www.bookcrossing.com/nisaba000). I tend to buy new for myself,
      second-hand for
      bookcrossing, but there are exceptions. And Wintersmith was for me,
      but was second-hand. And I bloody forgot I didn't have a new copy,
      and I bookcrossed it!

      It's the most recent of the Tiffany Aching books that I've read,
      co-written by the very lovely Lynn Pratchett. Is it just me, of does
      anyone else feel as if there is some backward trend in the quality
      of writing with the Tiffany Aching books? They are less full of
      allusions, illusions, subtlety and richness generally. But they're
      *still* better than most books by most other writers.

      [Managing Editor's comment: I think it's worth remembering that the
      Tiffany books are for "young readers" and thus wouldn't be expected
      to contain the same level of intertextual sophistication as we see
      in the regular Discworld novels. If anything, the Tiffany books are
      *more* adult in their "allusions, illusions, subtlety and richness"
      than I thought they would be!]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      3) JOSH KIRBY EXHIBITION

      Out of this World: The art of Josh Kirby
      Saturday, June 16, 2007 - Sunday, September 30, 2007
      Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool
      http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/walker/

      The first retrospective exhibition of science fiction artist Josh
      Kirby. Born in Liverpool in 1928 and trained at Liverpool School of
      Art he began his career producing film posters, moving to book and
      cover art for magazines. Some of his more famous work includes the
      first cover of Ian Fleming's Moonraker and the poster for Monty
      Python's Life of Brian. He is best known for his cover illustrations
      of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.

      The exhibition will comprise around 150 works spanning the whole of
      his career such as artwork for book covers, for magazines, personal
      studies, large-scale oils, film posters, preparatory sketches.
      Selections from the Discworld series will be included, but the
      exhibition will also reach far beyond that to show visitors the full
      range of his output. It will be packed with visions of weird worlds,
      fantastic and magical creatures, monsters, maidens and much more.
      The incredible detail, imagination and skill behind Josh's art will
      be fully revealed.

      [Ed. note: admission is free. Don't miss this!]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      4) IT'S ALL ABOUT THE COMPETITION, INNIT

      Transworld Publishing announces:

      Terry Pratchett has joined the social networking revolution, with
      his own page on Bebo.com.

      To launch the page, Transworld Publishing are running a competition
      in conjunction with Audible.co.uk, to win 41 abridged Terry
      Pratchett audio books, pre-loaded on an iPod.

      To enter the competition, Bebo members are invited to send a
      photograph of themselves dressed as their favourite Discworld
      character to Terry's Bebo page. Camera shy fans can also enter by
      drawing a picture on Terry's White Board. Full details of the
      competition and prizes can be found at :
      http://terrydiscworld.bebo.com

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      5) SO THAT'S WHAT THIS MAGAZINE IS...!

      SteVen of BU said:
      I'm looking for a word. And it has a Discworld context! (Obligatory
      on-topic warning...wait thirty seconds for people to get away...)
      There are certain words that are used to describe, well, things and
      stuff. For example, widget, gadget, thingamabob, whatchamacallit,
      whatnot (whether wicker or not), whatsit, doodad, gizmo, and of
      course, wossname.

      I am looking for a word that describes all these terms, and I have
      it on good authority that Gaspode uses it in one of the Discworld
      books, but I have no idea which one. Can anyone help?
      _______________

      ConMan replied:
      Well, I don't know that Gaspode uses it, but the parrot in Eric
      makes reference to "wossname" being a "metasyntactic variable". And
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placeholder_name also suggests either
      "kadigin" or "cadigan" (no relation to the sweater).
      _______________

      Mad Meg Mogg added:
      "...Clothing has never been what you might call a thingy of dog
      wossname." Gaspode scratched his ear. "Two metasyntactic variables
      there. Sorry."
      -- Gaspode to Angua, in Men at Arms, p.305, PB edition.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      6) WUXTRY! ASSASSINS' GUILD HANDS OUT SCOUT BADGES!

      Here be a Press - or Preff - Release from the Headquarters of the
      Discworld Jamboree 2007, Procurements and Pronouncements
      Sub-Committee, Cunning Artificer Department.
      Date: 25 May 2007

      The Discworld Jamboree 2007 now has its own new and very shiny
      website with all the details anyone could need: the when, where,
      what, how much and who, though possibly not the why. Any interested
      Discworld fan now need only go to:
      http://www.discworldjamboree.com/

      Better still, there is now a Members' Area which displays the Rules
      of the Ankh-Morpork & District Scouting Association (Unaffiliated)
      and the Oath, together with the Minutes of the Meeting to Form the
      Proposed Ankh-Morpork Federation of Scouts (in the chair, Captain
      Carrot). To access this area you have to have to have joined up to
      attend the Jamboree, or have purchased our rather splendid 'scouters'
      goodie bag. If you have done all of these things then mail
      discworldjamboree@... to receive the appropriate password.
      These have been posted at the request of the Chief Scout himself,
      so that those attending the Jamboree will fully understand the aims
      of the A-M Scouting Movement, the importance of personal hygiene
      (especially while under canvas), and what size battle axe is
      acceptable in a camping environment. Members will need a username
      and password for access to this area which can be obtained by
      emailing [discworldjamboree@...]

      The Discworld Jamboree 2007 will be held on a field in Wincanton,
      Somerset, between 3 and 5 August 2007. Amongst other attractions it
      will feature the Witch Trials and a Gang Show. It will be attended
      by the Chief Scout, Mr Terry Pratchett, ably supported by Mr Stephen
      Briggs and Mr Colin Smythe.

      In creating the Jamboree website, we are indebted to the Chief
      Scout, Mr Terry Pratchett, and to Black Widow Web Design.

      End of Part 1 -- continued on Part 2 of 6
      If you did not get all six parts, write: jschaum111@...