WOSSNAME - APRIL 2007 - PART 1 OF 6

    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2007
      APRIL 2007 (Volume 10, Issue 4)
      Part 1 of 6 Sections
      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: T.F. (`Tiff') Peasey
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      Convention Reporter: Empress Hania Trzaskowska
      Puzzle Editor: in hiding
      DW Horoscope: Anaemia Asterisk
      Emergency Staff: Jason Parlevliet, Nathan Clissold, Dylan Williams
      Art Director: Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano

      ====Part 1 - VITAL AND NOT-SO-VITAL NEWS

      1) PYRAMIDS IN AUSTRALIA
      2) A NEW PLACE TO HANG OUT
      3) WYRD SISTERS AT MAWDESLEY, MAY 16-19
      4) 2008 DISCWORLD CONVENTION MEMBERSHIPS
      5) COLLECTOR'S GIFTS
      6) HOGFATHER AWARDS

      ====Part 2 - ROUNDWORLD REPORTS

      7) MIDSOUTHCON SPECIAL REPORT

      ====Part 3 - CLACKS LOG

      8) THE CLACKS LOG OF WEIRD ALICE LANCREVIC

      ====PART 4 - HOROSCOPE

      9) THE NEW DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE - APR > SEPT
      10) THE NEW DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE - OCT > MARCH

      1) PYRAMIDS IN AUSTRALIA

      The Unseen Theatre Company announces the Opening Night
      of Terry Pratchett's "Pyramids" on Saturday, May 12th at
      8 PM at the Bakehouse Theatre, 255 Angas Street, Adelaide,
      Australia. The producers invite you to "join us for nibbles"
      before the show's foyer doors at open at 7:30 pm.

      It is one of Terry Pratchett's most delightful plays which,
      among other things, may illuminate such mysteries as why
      tortoises hate philosophy, why too much religion is bad for
      goats, and what it is that handmaidens actually do.

      Saturday May 12 at 8 pm

      Bakehouse Theatre, 255 Angas St. Adelaide.
      (please join us for nibbles before the show 's foyer doors open 7.30 pm)

      Please RSVP at 82270505 or write pamela@...

      NB. If you are unable to join them for Opening Night, you may use your
      invitation for any Wednesday or Thursday nights on the dates below:

      WHERE: Bakehouse Theatre, 255 Angas Street, Adelaide
      WHEN: May 11 (Preview: all tickets $12)
      May 12 (Opening Night), Then: May 16, 17, 18, 19, 23, 24, 25, 26,
      TICKETS: Adults $16, Concession $14, Fringe Benefits $12,

      Groups (10+) $10

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      2) A NEW PLACE TO HANG OUT

      If you want somewhere to hang out online with other discworld
      folk come and visit www.discworldstamps.co.uk. It ain't all about stamps
      (unless you want it to be). There's a friendly busy forum there and a
      real sense of online community. Folk post on it from all over the world.

      The site is owned by Bernard Pearson;The Cunning Artificer and owner
      of The Discworld Emporium in Wincanton (the only roundworld town
      officially twinned with Ankh-Morpork).

      Several times a year as many people as possible descend on the town
      for a weekend of fun and games. The locals don't even bat an eye lid
      when Cohen the Barbarian dressed in a loin cloth and not much else,
      walks through the town carrying a 6ft broad sword. The Creator; Terry
      Pratchett attends as well and presides over a charity auction after
      the traditional sausage supper.

      So come visit, http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/ sit down, take
      your coat off, put your feet up, pour out a glass of your favorite
      tipple and join the fun.

      PS: Copy and paste the link to your browser window.

      -- Gytha Fiona
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      3) WYRD SISTERS AT MAWDESLEY, MAY 16-19

      Mawdesley Amateur Dramatics will be performing "Terry Pratchett's Wyrd
      Sisters" on May 16th, 18th and 19th at Mawdesley Village Hall,
      Mawdesley, Southport, Lancashire. Starting at 7.30pm each night.
      Advance tickets £4.50 each, which are available from Mawdesley post
      office or The Black Bull pub.

      Despite being in existence for 15 years, this is the company's first
      production, a Stephen Briggs play, and they would like to offer a warm
      welcome to everyone who would like to support them.

      -- esmi
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      4) 2008 DISCWORLD CONVENTION MEMBERSHIPS

      Get Your 2008 Discworld Convention Memberships Now!

      After keeping you all on tenterhooks for all this time, we are now
      accepting online membership applications for the 2008 Discworld
      Convention! Even better: for a limited period, attending memberships
      will be available at 2006 prices (more details below).

      But wait, there's more...

      We're unveiling a completely new, streamlined membership and hotel
      system. You will now be able to apply, pay for and receive your
      membership number online within minutes and then go straight on to
      reserve your hotel accommodation. We have negotiated some very special
      accommodation deals with the Hilton Metropole Hotel for the period of
      the event and we expect these to be very popular, so book early to avoid
      disappointment.

      Meanwhile, we haven't forgotten that some of our members prefer to
      register and book rooms by post. We will still be accepting postal
      membership applications and hotel bookings and we will have printable
      forms for both available on the site shortly. You can also request forms
      by contacting +44 (0)7092 394940 (voicemail or fax) or by writing to:

      PO Box 4101
      Shepton Mallet
      Somerset
      BA4 5XD

      == Special 2006 Price Offer ==

      Yes, we are offering attending membership at 2006 prices! This offer
      will be available to all people booking online until 1st June and to all
      people applying by post if we receive their application before 15th
      June. So don't waste any time; register your family, your friends and
      your neighbours and do it now!

      -- Bruce Richardson
      Chair, DiscWorld Convention 2008
      22nd to 25th August 2008, Birmingham

      5) COLLECTOR'S GIFTS

      Just a quick note for our mailing list members to keep
      you up to date with the news here at Collectors' Gifts.

      Discworld Convention 2008 dates and venue have been
      sent for this event. More details here:
      http://www.collectorsgifts.co.uk/news.htm

      Also, on the same page, you'll find more details
      regarding the Sky TV Hogfather production, which
      we emailed you about earlier.

      Amazon Store: For those of you who want to buy
      the Discworld Hogfather DVD, or even anything that
      Amazon sellS, here's a quick reminder that we have
      our own Amazon store here:
      http://astore.amazon.co.uk/cgifts-21/

      Our Auctions: as I've said before, I'm afraid that it is no longer
      viable for me to be in the 'buying and selling' business any
      longer, so most of the remains of the Collectors' Gifts stock is at:
      http://www.collectorsgifts.co.uk/rd/cg/

      I still have a few bits to list and will try to do those over
      the coming weeks....well, months!

      And, finally, for those of you looking for some other items,
      my wife and I have decided to sell a few of our own bits and
      pieces, including figurines. You can view them here:
      http://www.collectorsgifts.co.uk/rd/tm/

      -- Elton Murphy

      6) HOGFATHER AWARDS

      Sky One sent this out dated 20th April:

      "Last night, Sky One's epic adaptation of Terry Pratchett's Hogfather,
      won the Visual Effects category at the BAFTA's prestigious Craft and
      Television Awards ceremony in London. It was awarded the gong for
      its use of groundbreaking digital wizardry, which spectacularly brought
      the extraordinary tale to life on the big screen.

      "The lavish tale's win is the latest achievement for the amazing Sky One
      production. Terry Pratchett's Hogfather broke all existing audience records
      when broadcast over the Christmas period last year, becoming the most
      watched non-terrestrial series of all time."

      The DVD went on sale yesterday (23 April), and Terry and Vadim Jean
      signed masses of covers at Forbidden Planet last night.

      (Hogfather had been nominated for two awards: Gavin Finney the
      Director of Photography was nominated for the Photography and
      Lighting Category, and the CGI team from MPC, Oliver Money
      and Simon Thomas for the visual effects.)

      As to other Hogfather awards: I received an email from Ian Sharples
      at MOB Films, in which he wrote
      "On the awards and such like, the run down is
      *Winners of the Broadcast Press Guild, Best Multi Channel
      Programme award
      *Nominated for Royal Television Society (RTS) for Drama Serial,
      but sadly didn't win"
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo