WOSSNAME -- MARCH 2007 -- PART 1 OF 6

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2007
      MARCH 2007 (Volume 10, Issue 3)
      Part 1 of 6 Sections
      nominated for a fanzine award.
      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: T.F. (`Tiff') Peasey
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      Convention Reporter: Empress Hania Trzaskowska
      Puzzle Editor: in hiding
      DW Horoscope: Anaemia Asterisk
      Emergency Staff: Jason Parlevliet, Nathan Clissold, Dylan Williams
      Art Director: Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano

      ====Part 1 - VITAL AND NOT-SO-VITAL NEWS

      1) HOGFATHER WINS RTS AWARD
      2) PLANS FOR THE 2008 UK CONVENTION
      3) THE NON-AUSSIECON CONVENES IN LONDON
      4) UNSEEN THEATRE CO. GOES ON PYRAMIDS' EXCURSION
      5) WYRD SISTERS IN KNEBWORTH
      6) JINGO IN BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA

      ====Part 2 - ROUNDWORLD REPORTS

      7) ONLY YOU CAN SAVE MANKIND
      8) WIT, WIZARDS, AND MACHINES THAT GO 'PING'
      9) AFPA TO CAMP OUT ON BANK HOLIDAY WEEKEND
      10) THE ROUNDWORLD SAINT OF SEAMSTRESSES

      ====Part 3 - DATABANK OF USELESS INFORMATION

      11) THE ROUNDWORLD 'NUMBERS' RIKTOR
      12) HARPERCOLLINS PRATCHETT DISCUSSION BOARD
      13) BANG WENT SIXPENCE

      ====Part 4 - OFFWORLD REPORTS

      14) THE CLACKS LOG OF WEIRD ALICE LANCREVIC
      15) MISSION TO MARS

      ====Part 5 - PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT SECRETS

      16) THE NEW DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      ====Part 6 - LETTERS AND SUCH

      17) LETTERS FROM ALL OVER
      18) RINCEWIND VS. DEATH

      1) HOGFATHER WINS RTS AWARD

      Terry Pratchett’s Hogfather, on Sky One, has won the
      award for best multi-channel programme in the 33rd
      Broadcasting Press Guild Awards. The Christmas
      production featured a host of British talent including
      David Jason, the late Ian Richardson, Marc Warren,
      Nigel Planer and Joss Ackland.

      2) PLANS FOR THE 2008 UK CONVENTION

      On behalf of the committee for the 2008 Discworld convention, I am very
      happy to announce that we have confirmed our venue and date for the 2008
      convention. The 2008 Discworld Convention will take place from the 22nd
      to the 25th of August at the Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel.

      <http://www.hilton.co.uk/birminghammet>

      Full details of membership and hotel costs will be announced when we
      launch the revamped website at Easter, but we are planning an
      introductory membership fee of £50 (a £5 increase on the 2006 starting
      price).
      The previous three conventions were hosted at the Hinckley Island Hotel
      and many of the attendees at those events have very happy memories of
      those events and of the hotel. For many members (and committee staff),
      the Hinckley hotel became almost synonymous with the Discworld
      convention. However, while the 2006 convention was a great success, the
      hotel itself did not provide an entirely perfect experience, although
      the friendly and helpful attitude of many of the staff was, once again,
      an important contributor to an enjoyable weekend.

      The committee thought very hard before choosing a new venue for the
      convention, but we are very excited by the possibilities of the new
      hotel. In particular, we are looking forward to making the most of a
      main event room that can seat the entire membership (so no more people
      missing out on the opening ceremony or Terry's interview).

      Most of all, though, we are excited about seeing you there. We want to
      see our old friends and regular attendees, who have done so much to
      create the happy memories of previous discworld events that motivate us
      to work towards the next convention. We want to see the new members and
      the suprises and new ideas they will bring. And Terry will be turning up
      at some point, don't forget.

      Much more information will be available when we relaunch the website:

      <http://www.dwcon.org>

      Until then, hello again and I'm looking forward to seeing you in
      Birmingham.

      Can't wait!

      Bruce Richardson, Chairman, Discworld Convention 2008
      -- Karen/hypatia
      Karen@...
      New? Check http://www.lspace.org

      Now that the venue details are finalised and the announcement has been
      made we would also like to welcome you to some new discussion groups for
      fans interested in the 2008 Convention:

      You can subscribe to the new mail list here:

      There is also a LiveJournal community to join here:
      http://community.livejournal.com/discworld_2008/profile

      As always info@... remains your one stop shop for
      information in the short term.

      Discworld Convention 2008, August 22-25, http://www.dwcon.org
      3) THE NON-AUSSIECON CONVENES IN LONDON

      With the threat of a certain Ogg and her Performing Jiggling Jelly
      Moulds hanging over everyones heads (so to speak), it was decided that
      an alternative Australian Discworld Convention should convene in an
      alternative quadrant of the disc.

      And lo, the Four Nations London Meet was born.

      It all began the evening of February 23rd in MsA's extensive Cori
      Celesti pad - so extensive indeed that it not only has it's own
      Formula One Track, but it also boasts its own weather system!

      Attendees included your gracious hostess MsA, her consort Dr.R,
      DanTheMan from the counterweight continent, a rather puzzled Mikael
      (who does not read Pratchett but will now if he knows what's good for
      him!), and Jane The Reverse Stripper from Godzone (due to the Coriolis
      effect, she starts off as a woman in boxer shorts and ends up a drag
      king in a three piece suit).

      To be honest, I got a bit bladdered so all I remember is eating "meat
      inna bun", playing planetary pool (nods to all Red Dwarf fans), a
      brief stab at Pitch Car, then crashing in front of the telly to watch
      all 3 hours of The Hogfather.

      --MsA, promising to follow up with the additional days reports soon
      4) UNSEEN THEATRE CO. GOES ON PYRAMIDS' EXCURSION
      Or
      SUFFERING FOR ONE'S ART

      One of Lia Cocks' lines "my bottom is one huge blister"
      became painfully true, after Unseen Theatre Company
      went on a camel riding excursion to Monarto Zoo recently.

      Being the committed hard-working actor that she is, Lia said
      that the experience lent a real authenticity to her work at
      rehearsals that evening.

      Director Pamela Munt agreed and has graciously taken it on
      as her own personal responsibility to graphically remind Lia
      of the experience from time so that she has extra motivation
      to draw on for her performance in Terry Pratchett's Pyramids.

      Without giving too much of the plot away, Lia plays Ptraci,
      a hand-maiden who is rescued by an assasin (Andrew
      Dowling) riding a camel aptly named "You Bastard".

      Pamela would like to thank her accomplice in this little exercise,
      Graham Boothby, camel herder extraordinaire of Monarto Zoo,
      for his endless patience with all of her actors and for his extra
      tuition of David Milne, who plays Khuft the camel herder in
      Pyramids.

      The only place where Graham drew the line with his advice was
      in the discussion of David's costume. For some reason he
      seemed to think that a loin cloth was not the most suitable
      attire for camel riding.

      Pamela is sure that David will see it as extra motivational
      experience to draw on too.

      Pyramids will be showing at the Bakehouse Theatre,
      255 Angas Street Adelaide (Australia) from May 11 to 26
      (Wednesdays to Saturdays) at 8pm.

      Bookings on 82270505
      or
      bakehousetheatre@...

      More information:-
      pamela@...
      www.unseen.com.au
      82270505

      6) JINGO IN BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA

      There will be a performance of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novel,
      Jingo, at the Brisbane Arts Theatre. 210 Petrie Terrace, Brisbane,
      Queensland 4000.
      Dates: May 26-June 16.
      Phone: 3369 2344
      Email: artstheatre @ bigpond.com

      More adventures and mis-adventures from Discworld - the long
      lost land of Leshp rises out of the sea; there is an attempted
      assassination of royalty; plots, counter-plots, strange unknown
      characters - and it's not even interval yet! Designed to please
      Pratchett and non-Pratchett fans alike, this rollicking tale is
      full of your favourite characters, with dialogue that rolls out
      like a crazy evening with all our favourite comic entertainers.
      Directed by Sally Daly.
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo