WOSSNAME -- FEBRUARY 2007-- PART 6 OF 6

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2007
      WOSSNAME -- FEBRUARY 2007-- PART 6 OF 6
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      14) LETTERS FROM ALL OVER
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      HANDEL AND TERRY

      To the Editor:

      I have been reading Terry Pratchett's new book Wintersmith this week
      and I know I missed a lot of hidden references and jokes. However,
      there is one small reference that I did get!

      When Tiffany begins to have trouble with her feet Granny Weatherwax
      says, "wherever she walks" and Nanny Ogg corrects her and
      says, "Where e're" and I instantly knew that was a reference to
      Handel's oratorio, "Semele". It is a lovely piece that I had the
      pleasure to sing in a recital in my college days.

      Where e'er you walk
      Cool gales shall fan the glade
      Trees where you sit
      Shall crowd into a shade
      Trees where you sit
      Shall crowd into a shade

      Where e're you walk
      the blushing flowers shall rise
      and all things flourish
      and all things flourish
      Where e're you turn your eyes

      Anyway, I am probably way late on this one and someone has already
      mentioned it, but I was just so thrilled to have finally gotten one!

      For more on Semele: http://www.pantheon.org/articles/s/semele.html

      -- Laura Cabral (Minneapolis)

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo