WOSSNAME -- JANUARY 2007 -- PART 1 OF 5

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2007
      JANUARY 2007 (Volume 10, Issue 1)
      Part 1 of 5 Sections
      nominated for a fanzine award.
      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: T.F. (`Tiff') Peasey
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      Convention Reporter: Hania Trzaskowska
      Puzzle Editor: in hiding
      DW Horoscope: Anaemia Asterisk
      Emergency Staff: Jason Parlevliet, Nathan Clissold, Dylan Williams
      Art Director: Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH
      2) LATEST WORD ON AUSDWCON
      3) YOUR OFFICIAL REPORTER FOR AUSDWCON
      4) THE BEECROFT REPORT
      5) PTERRY NEWSROUND
      6) MASKERADE -- CASTING CALL
      7) BRIGGS AT ESSEX BOOK FESTIVAL
      8) KIRBY RETROSPECTIVE IN LIVERPOOL
      9) OLD FASHIONED FUN OR FNU (AS THE CASE MAY BE)

      ====Part 2
      10) YOUR DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      ====Part 3
      10) YOUR DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE (continued)

      ====Part 4

      11) WEIRD ALICE'S SONG OF THE MONTH
      12) WYRD SISTERS IN CHESTERFIELD AND YEOVIL

      ==== Part 5
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      13) LETTERS FROM ALL OVER
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH

      "Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

      Yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      2) LATEST WORD ON AUSDWCON

      Nullus Anxietas: The Australian Discworld Convention
      Melbourne, February 9-11 2007
      Guest of Honour: Terry Pratchett
      Virtual Guests of Honour: Stephen Briggs, Bernard Pearson, Colin
      Smythe, Ian Stewart, Jack Cohen
      http://www.ausdwcon.org

      FINAL REMINDER: Only a handful of days left now! With the programme
      pretty much complete, an exciting lineup of sessions, a sold out Gala
      Dinner... as one fan stated, "Nullus Anxietas looks like fun with
      extra bits of fun stitched on to make it as fun as possible" - and
      who are we to disagree with that?

      In case you need more convincing, though, here's just a few of the
      sessions that will be happening: theatre performances of Wyrd Sisters
      and Mort, Snowgum Films talking about the making of Troll Bridge,
      sword and belly-dancing demonstrations (although not at the same
      time), a special script-reading of Pyramids, the Great Debate, Fair
      Go Dibbler's Charity Auction, Blankety Blanks, and The Naked Ogg -
      and then there's all the sessions with our wonderful Guests. The full
      schedule can be found at http://www.ausdwcon.org/detail/show/programme

      We've also got a wonderful deal on THUD sets - which should be
      especially appealing to those in Australia. Stay tuned for the latest
      updates on our mailing list - http://www.ausdwcon.org/mailing-list

      DON'T FORGET: our attendance prices go up one last time on February
      2nd, so if you're going to come along, now's a great time to sign up
      (just visit http://www.ausdwcon.org/member/signup ).

      ~Ben, and the rest of the NA committee
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      3) YOUR OFFICIAL REPORTER FOR AUSDWCON

      After a bit of arm-twisting and making impossible promises,
      we managed to convince the beautiful Hania Trzaskowska,
      purring_cougar_kitten@...
      to attend the AUSDWCON provided she can get Terry
      to sign her jelly breast molds.

      "Well...I'll go," she said. "In truth, most probably I'll hang around
      their Mended Drum and play cards and behave cheekily all day.
      But I will venture out to see if I can get my jelly moulds signed
      this time - like Terry promised!"

      4) THE BEECROFT REPORT

      Btw Pterry will be in the children's bookshop in Beecroft in a
      couple of weeks so any Sydneysiders who wanna go you'd
      better book now

      -- Cat

      Apropos of nothing, every time I go to Sydney I drive past signs for
      Beecroft and think "That sounds like a nice place". I envisage
      meadows and flowers and beehives.

      -- Mogg, who would no doubt be sadly disappointed with the truth.

      No! Beecroft is lovely. It has all these little shops in Beecroft
      village, and not too far away you've got things like the Strawberry
      Farm, and all the other little farmy places, and there are nice little
      flowers and cute little cafes and the little bookshop that my friend's
      dad runs. And a park with swings, of course. I love swings.

      -- Cat

      6) MASKERADE -- CASTING CALL

      The director of an amateur production of Stephen Briggs' adaptation of
      Maskerade is looking for cast and stage crew. The production will be at
      the Rhoda McGaw Theatre in Woking, Surrey on 30th May - 2nd June. There
      will be a read-through for newcomers to the play/book at 8.30 pm on
      Thursday 1st Feb in Knaphill, Woking, and the auditions themselves will
      be in Old Woking from 4.15pm on Sunday 4th February.

      If you are interested in taking part, please email Kathie (the director)
      via <k.williams@...>.

[...]

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      5) PTERRY NEWSROUND
      by Annie Mac
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      AROUND THE BUGARUP UNIVERSITY CAMPUS
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      LESSER SPOTTED DIBBLER SPOTTED!

      Mrs Cake wrote to tell us:

      He's everywhere!
      http://images.ucomics.com/comics/nq/2007/nq070124.gif

      ...and got the reply:

      Ooh, that's excellent! And yes, it only goes to prove that - as the
      essay in last month's WOSSNAME said - Dibbler is everywhere. A
      universal constant.

      6) MASKERADE -- CASTING CALL

      The director of an amateur production of Stephen Briggs' adaptation of
      Maskerade is looking for cast and stage crew. The production will be at
      the Rhoda McGaw Theatre in Woking, Surrey on 30th May - 2nd June. There
      will be a read-through for newcomers to the play/book at 8.30 pm on
      Thursday 1st Feb in Knaphill, Woking, and the auditions themselves will
      be in Old Woking from 4.15pm on Sunday 4th February.

      If you are interested in taking part, please email Kathie (the director)
      via <k.williams@...>
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      7) BRIGGS AT ESSEX BOOK FESTIVAL

      Stephen Briggs is taking part in the 2007 Essex Book festival. He will
      be appearing at Harlow Library on March 24th at 7p.m. Tickets are priced
      at £6.

      For further details please see either www.essexbookfestival.org.uk or
      telephone 01206 573948 to book tickets.
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      8) KIRBY RETROSPECTIVE IN LIVERPOOL

      The first retrospective exhibition of science fiction artist Josh Kirby
      will take place at the Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool from 16 June to 30
      September 2007.

      Born in Liverpool in 1928 and trained at Liverpool School of Art, Josh
      began his career producing film posters, moving to book and cover art
      for magazines. Some of his more famous work includes the first cover of
      Ian Fleming's Moonraker and the poster for Monty Python's Life of Brian
      and he is best known for his cover illustrations of Terry Pratchett's
      Discworld series.

      The exhibition will comprise around 150 works spanning the whole of his
      career such as artwork for book covers, for magazines, personal studies,
      large-scale oils, film posters, preparatory sketches. Selections from
      the Discworld series will be included, but the exhibition will also
      reach far beyond that to show visitors the full range of his output. It
      will be packed with visions of weird worlds, fantastic and magical
      creatures, monsters, maidens and much more. The incredible detail,
      imaginiation and skill behind Josh's art will be fully revealed.

      For further details, please see www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/walker/.
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      9) OLD FASHIONED FUN OR FNU (AS THE CASE MAY BE)

      Jase:
      They don't make fun like they did in our day.

      Takahe (our BO Chrestomather, with a Pterry quotation for every
      occasion:
      "Modern," said Granny Weatherwax, with a sniff. "When I was a gel, we
      had a lump of wax and a couple of pins and had to be content. We had
      to make our *own* enchantment in them days."
      "Ah, well, we've all passed a lot of water since then," said Nanny
      Ogg sagely.

      Mss D'Afanguin:
      Bwahahaha! Would you believe I just re-read Wyrd Sisters a couple of
      days ago, for the first time in years? And was giggling at those very
      lines. At the entire book, in fact.

      It strikes me that - while I am IN NO WAY one of those sad whingers
      who prattles on about Discworld books being "better" in the early
      days, many of them were definitely *funnier*. As in more overtly
      comedic. While the more recent books have grown and broadened and in
      many cases darkened, and while ones such as Night Watch and Thud!
      stand alone IMO as powerful works of science fiction/fantasy *and*
      humanistic sociopolitical commentary - and while there are always and
      ever *some* snarflingly funny bits, even in the midst of a Worlde
      Gone Madde - I think Pterry reached his peak as a comedy fantasist
      around the time of the Witches Trilogy.
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo