WOSSNAME -- DECEMBER 2006 -- PART 1 OF 5

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2006
      DECEMBER 2006 (Volume 9, Issue 12)
      Part 1 of 5 Sections
      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: T.F. (`Tiff') Peasey
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      Puzzle Editor: in hiding
      DW Horoscope: Anaemia Asterisk
      Emergency Staff: Jason Parlevliet, Nathan Clissold, Dylan Williams
      Art Director: Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH
      2) PTERRY NEWSROUND
      3) AND THERE ARE ALWAYS REPEATS - AND THE ANTERNET
      4) THE BUGARUP UNIVERSITY NEWSROUND
      5) LATEST WORD ON AUSDWCON

      ====Part 2
      6) YOUR DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      ====Part 3
      6) YOUR DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE (continued)

      ====Part 4
      6) YOUR DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE (continued)

      ====Part 5
      6) YOUR DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE (continued)
      7) WEIRD ALICE SINGS A HOLIDAY CAROL
      8) FUM FUM FUM - ANOTHER HOLIDAY SPECIAL!

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH

      Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
      "Hogfather" -- Terry Pratchett
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      2) PTERRY NEWSROUND
      by Annie Mac
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Unsurprisingly, the news this month is all about the television
      premiere of HOGFATHER. And what a triumphant premiere it was!

      Broadcastnow.co.uk reveals that the viewing figure for the first half
      of HOGFATHER shown on Sunday night was 2.6 million. This figure is, it
      seems, far higher than the SkyOne honchos dared dream of
      expecting:
      http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/broadcastnowHome.aspx?Category=46

      According to Broadcastnow, Hogfather has beaten Torchwood "as the
      number one rated multichannel commission in UK TV history."

      Digitalspy has an article about this:
      http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds40876.html

      Here's (fervently) hoping that the success of HOGFATHER leads to a
      rash of future Discworld films and telly!

      3) AND THERE ARE ALWAYS REPEATS - AND THE ANTERNET

      The Book Show on Artsworld (Sky Digital channel 267) featured
      ahalf-hour interview with Terry Pratchett on Thursday 14th December
      at 8pm, and repeated it on Sunday 17th at midday and 6pm. More
      information is here on the Book Show microsite
      http://www.artsworld.com/thebookshow/pgFeature.aspx?id=39&se=2

      Rumour has it that Pterry was interviewed by Jonathan Ross on BBC
      Radio 2 on Saturday 16th. Any links to a transcript or news of
      repeat airings for this would be greatly appreciated!

      4) THE BUGARUP UNIVERSITY NEWSROUND

      From Asti of BU:

      Is anyone else just LOVING the 12 Days of Hogswatch?

      http://tinyurl.com/ya8hgk

      [N.B. As many would-be viewers won't have the chance to see
      Hogfather for some while, these fascinating mini-programmes
      are WELL worth watching!]

      To which Mrs Cake of BU replied:

      What I adore about the movie (based on the clips) is that the actors
      ALL seem to be "playing XYZ properly, the way Pratchett wrote them".

      I expected Nobbs to be skinnier, but Nicholas Tennant so beautifully
      exemplifies a street person who's moved up in the world but not
      forgotten his roots, that just seeing him I wanted to
      surreptitionsly wipe my hands. Susan was also a special treat.
      Despite Pterry's clear consistent descriptions, I'd never gotten a
      visual handle on Susan, but now Michelle Dockery has given me Susan
      to perfection.

      ~runs off to replenish her supply of superlatives~

      ...and Madame D'afanguin rebutted:

      Totally with you on Susan. And I also think Kidby's rendering of her
      goes with the live-action Susan (Dockery's).

      Having seen several more of the clips now, I still think Death isn't
      even close to a grand piano's throw of Done Right - neither in voice
      nor in cgi image - and much as I admire David Jason's acting skills,
      his Albert is both *physically* wrong (given that Wilfrid Brambell,
      who was so obviously the Albert template right from the start, is no
      longer among the living, the least they could've done was get David
      Kelly [1] - a very good casting choice that would have been!) and
      far too buffoonish. But Teatime is perfect, Banjo appears to be
      just right, and I'll never complain about opportunities to watch
      Nigel Planer being gormless :-)

      So all in all, I still have plenty of doubts but am willing to
      suspend judgement until I've seen the whole thingummy!

      [1] One of my nation's treasures when it comes to mainly-comedic
      character actors:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Kelly_%28actor%29
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      5) LATEST WORD ON AUSDWCON
      by Ben Hughes

      Nullus Anxietas: The Australian Discworld Convention
      Melbourne, February 9-11 2007
      Guest of Honour: Terry Pratchett

      Virtual Guests of Honour: Stephen Briggs, Bernard Pearson, Colin
      Smythe, Ian Stewart, Jack Cohen

      With two new virtual guests - the wonderful co-authors of the Science
      of Discworld books - our programme is being finessed to something
      approaching a finished product. The latest version can be found at
      http://www.ausdwcon.org/detail/show/programme

      Day rates have also been announced, for those of you who can't make
      it to the whole convention. If signing up before Feb 2nd, Friday is
      $45, and Saturday and Sunday are $90 each. If you're interested in
      these, get in touch with our Membership Co-ordinator Suzie
      ( suzie@...).

      Don't forget - you can also sign up on our mailing list for updates
      at http://www.ausdwcon.org/mailing-list

      More details, as always, are at our website: http://www.ausdwcon.org
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo