WOSSNAME -- NOVEMBER 2006 -- PART 1 OF 5

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2006
      NOVEMBER 2006 (Volume 9, Issue 11)
      Part 1 of 5 Sections
      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: T.F. (`Tiff') Peasey
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      Puzzle Editor: Nota Deadpumpkin
      DW Horoscope: Anaemia Asterisk
      Emergency Staff: Jason Parlevliet, Nathan Clissold, Dylan Williams
      Art Director: Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH
      2) YOU'LL BE HOME FOR HOGSWATCH?
      3) HOGFATHER PROPS FOR SALE
      4) SFX MAGAZINE INTERVIEW
      5) DUTCH WYRD SISTERS IN ROTTERDAM 20 DECEMBER
      6) DISCWORLD BEER FESTIVAL 2006
      7) THE LAST WORD IN HUMOROUS VEGETABLES
      8) LATEST WORD ON AUSDWCON
      9) SPRING RACING CARNIVAL TIME IN XXXX
      10) HOGSWATCHNIGHT -- LEST WE FORGET

      ====Part 2
      11) DIBBLER MUSINGS
      12) SONGS OF THE MONTH

      ====Part 3

      13) LETTERS FROM OUR READERS
      14) YOUR DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      ====Part 4
      14) YOUR DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE
      (continued)

      ====Part 5
      14) YOUR DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE
      (continued)
      15) THE LONG-AWAITED MULTIPLE CHOICE
      QUIZ ANSWERS

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH

      "The Nac Mac Feegles are basically pixies who have seen
      Braveheart altogether too many times." -- Terry Pratchett

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PTERRY NEWSROUND
      by Annie Mac
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      2) YOU'LL BE HOME FOR HOGSWATCH?

      The Hogfather premiere has been the talk of all the Pratchett and
      Discworld discussion boards! There will be two special showings on
      the 27th of November: the first for the press and celebrities, the
      second for lucky fans who have won tickets.

      The illustrated Hogfather screenplay tie-in to the movie has just
      been released in the UK: http://tinyurl.com/yxanu8

      ...along with a calendar: http://tinyurl.com/y36z93

      3) HOGFATHER PROPS FOR SALE

      Readers in England, take note: there will be an auctioning of some
      props from the Hogfather film at the Wincanton Cunning Artificer
      event in December :
      http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7375
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      4) SFX MAGAZINE INTERVIEW

      SFX magazine interviewed the Hogfather filmmaker Vadim Jean in
      issue 151:
      http://www.sfx.co.uk/page/sfx?entry=the_hogfather_q_a

      There was also an interview with Pterry in issue 149 of SFX, about
      Wintersmith and planned future novels:
      http://www.sfx.co.uk/page/sfx?entry=terry_pratchett_interview

      Here's a sampling:

      SFX: Tell us about the next book, Making Money.

      Terry:
      "It's a direct sequel to Going Postal, involving several
      of the main characters. If you want a crude shorthand,
      it's [Going Postal's conman protagonist] Moist Van
      Lipwig doing for banking what he did for the Post Office.
      It's something of an ensemble book, there are lots of
      characters. Despite the fact that it takes place in the
      oldest bank in Ankh-Morpork, and Moist always thought
      of banks as being rather dull places, there are very few
      characters in it who are entirely sane."

      SFX: Tell us about the movie deal.

      Terry: "I've just signed a movie deal with Sony for The
      Wee Free Men to be directed by Sam Raimi. That
      came about because Pamela Pettler [Corpse Bride],
      the scriptwriter, came across The Wee Free Men, fell
      in love with it and passed it on to Sam Raimi, who
      asked Sony to buy it."

      5) DUTCH WYRD SISTERS IN ROTTERDAM 20 DECEMBER

      The Toverzusters' Dutch adaptation of Wyrd Sisters will premiere on
      December 20, 2006 during the Sprookjesstadfestival in Rotterdam.

      After two performances, the show will be taken on tour throughout the
      Netherlands and Belgium. For further information, please see the
      Toverzusters' website (http://www.toverzusters.nl).

      Ticket Prices (other than the Sprookjesstadfestival):
      Adults: 10 euros
      Children (under 12): 6 euros

      -- esmi

      6) DISCWORLD BEER FESTIVAL 2006

      The second Discworld Beer Festival will be taking place from 8th to
      10th December 2006 at the Memorial Hall in Wincanton.

      Tickets are available for sale from www.bursarvixen.com and are priced
      at £6.50. This includes entry, free festival glass (see below) and
      access to all sessions over the weekend.

      The Beer Festival will feature the full range of Discworld beers in
      cask for people to enjoy during the event itself or take home, as well
      as nearly 20 beers and ciders from local breweries. These have been
      selected for their flavour and are designed to give a range of
      different strengths so that there is something for everyone to try.
      This is real ale at its finest and we hope there will be something for
      even the most dedicated lager drinker to enjoy.

      The Beer Festival is being organised in conjunction with the local
      CAMRA branch and The Cunning Artificer, and the ticket price includes
      your souvenir glass featuring the Beer Festival's logo specially
      designed by the amazing David Wyatt. The entrance price also includes
      your first half pint!

      Festival T-shirts and glasses will also be available for sale to those
      not able to attend. Glasses will be sent after the festival, T-shirts
      before. This year we will have stemmed glasses marked at 1/3 pint for
      people who want to try many of the different beers without falling
      foul of the Oh God of Hangovers (but we make no promises!). We also
      have the large pint glasses for when you find the beer you like and
      settle in for the night.

      As an extra bonus, anyone purchasing a ticket between now and November
      25th who is also a subscriber to the informative newsletter Discworld
      Monthly (www.discworldmonthly.co.uk) will automatically
      be entered into a draw to win a US bound proof of Wintersmith
      exclusive to Discworld Monthly and BVE.

      The capacity of the venue is limited, so get your tickets early. Those
      drinking must be over 18. For more information, please e-mail
      sales@....

      Paul & Karen Kruzycki
      http://www.BursarVixen.com/

      7) THE LAST WORD IN HUMOROUS VEGETABLES

      Nude lewd rude carrot! Don't say you weren't warned:

      http://www.maui.net/~liam/nudecarrot/nudemancarrot.html

      On second thought, this is a family newsletter and I won't
      run it. If your taste runs to nekkid carrots, write to
      Annie Mac, our Managing Editor, c/o jschaum111@...
      and she will tell you what you can do if you must see it.

      8) LATEST WORD ON AUSDWCON
      by Ben Hughes

      Nullus Anxietas: The Australian Discworld Convention
      Melbourne, February 9-11 2007
      Guest of Honour: Terry Pratchett
      Virtual Guests of Honour: Stephen Briggs, Bernard Pearson,
      Colin Smythe

      Our draft programme is now online - have a look at
      http://www.ausdwcon.org/detail/show/programme -
      and we'd love to hear your thoughts on it. We've also
      dropped the price of our Gala Dinner from $90 to $60.
      Don't forget, if you're coming along and plan on staying
      at the Carlton Crest, we recommend booking your hotel
      rooms sooner rather than later.
      More details, as always, are at our website:
      http://www.ausdwcon.org

      -- Ben Hughes
      Programme and Marketing
      Nullus Anxietas: The Australian Discworld Convention
      www.ausdwcon.org

      9) SPRING RACING CARNIVAL TIME IN XXXX

      Dianne, Housekeeper of ozdw, asked:
      Did anyone else see the sports news on telly this evening? A horse
      running in the Victorian Derby tomorrow called Ankh Morpork. A man
      they interviewed on telly thought the name came from something to do
      with Harry Potter, but the reporter knew it was Terry Pratchett, whom
      said he wrote fantasy books for teenagers. So perhaps we had better
      cheer for the horse...

      To which Jase our staff Technomancer replied:
      If he was named Rincewind I'd bet on him, especially if we could
      contrive to have the rider scream "Argh, creatures from the dungeon
      dimensions" just as the barrier opens.
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      10) HOGSWATCHNIGHT -- LEST WE FORGET

      According to THE DISCWORLD COMPANION, the
      official Roundworld date for Hogswatchnight seems
      to coincide with our own Winter Solstice, which is
      Friday, December 22nd this year.

      And yes, there are Hogswatch cards, produced by
      our own Paul Kidby, which you can get from:
      http://www.paulkidby.com/hogswatch/index.html

      Available are cards with Lord Downey, Errol, Nac
      Mac Feegles, Igor & Scrapth, Death of Rats, Death
      & Albert, Jack Frost, Nanny Ogg, The Hogfather,
      The Librarian, and Merry Wassailers (including Duck Man.)

      Time is rather short, but offhand, I would say anytime
      before New Years would probably be OK. Or you can
      always make your own. Ho ho ho!
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo