WOSSNAME -- OCTOBER 2006 -- PART 1 OF 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2006
      OCTOBER 2006 (Volume 9, Issue 10)
      Part 1 of 3 Sections
      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: T.F. (`Tiff') Peasey
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      Book Reviews: Drusilla D'Afanguin
      Puzzle Editor: volunteer needed
      DW Horoscope: Anaemia Asterisk
      Emergency Staff: Jason Parlevliet, Nathan Clissold, Dylan Williams
      Art Director: Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano

      EDITORIAL

      ====Part 1
      1) NEWS FROM ALL OVER
      2) THE NEXT GENERATION RISES!
      3) CONSTABLE DOWNSPOUT LIVES IN FOURECKS!
      4) THOUGHTS ON THE TIFFANY BOOKS
      5) AUSDWCON OFFER
      6) DID VETINARI SEND HIM?
      7) FIRST DISCWORLD NOVELS REPRINTED
      8) UPDATED QUIZ BOOK NOW AVAILABLE
      9) PT RADIO INTERVIEW
      10) JOHNNY AND THE BOMB WINS TWO NOMINATIONS

      ====Part 2
      11) THE AGES OF DISCWORLD
      12) BOFFO !
      13) DISCWORLD PHILOSOPHY 101
      14) THE TURTLE MOVES...RIGHT ONTO YOUR PLATE
      15) LETTERS FROM OUR READERS
      16) HOW'S YOUR DISCWORLD IQ?

      ====Part 3
      17) THE CLACKS IN ROUNDWORLD

      EDITORIAL

      Well, here it is Halloween, and nothing much
      is happening in DW. We must, perforce, fill in
      with odds and ends that may amuse you. Put it
      down to static clogging the clacks transmissions
      from DW, and to the hordes of little kiddies
      at the door chirping for treats. One of the best
      nights of the year, actually.

      Joe Schaumburger
      editor

      1) NEWS FROM ALL OVER
      by Annie Mac
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      AROUND THE BUGARUP UNIVERSITY CAMPUS:
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      WINTERSMITH SPOILAGE...NOT!

      Various staff and students gave their thoughts about the book:
      "Werk!"
      "Werk? Crivens!"
      "Meep?"
      "Boffo!"
      "Waily Waily Waily!"
      "Is that ma coo?"
      "Tastes like...chicken. A kettle full of chicken."

      Takahe cried:
      "I wish you guys would stop, already.I haven't read it yet and
      you're giving away all the plot!"

      Which merely served to stir up the campus again:
      "Oh Shush. We haven't even given away Vetinari's surprise
      appearance."

      "Oh fsh! It is hardly a surprise, not after it was telegraphed
      so completely by Rincewind."

      "And the pitter patter of Watch Boots?"

      "Now Paul, you know that it wasn't *officially* a member of the
      watch. Besides, they don't make that many hundreds of little
      tiny boots."

      "It had a badge! And besides, are you going to tell a certain orange
      person that he's not a member?"

      NOTE: None of these events occur in Wintersmith. Although there is a
      certain taste of chicken...

      2) THE NEXT GENERATION RISES!

      Rhianna Pratchett is near the top -- as in, second! -- of a list of
      the Game Industry's most influential women, honoured for her designs
      of "stories and narrative for videogames, including game scripts,
      cut-scenes and in-game dialogue":

      http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=
      3783&Itemid=2&limit=1&limitstart=8
      or http://tinyurl.com/md7gt

      There's no mention of Pater, but talent obviously runs in the
      family!
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      3) CONSTABLE DOWNSPOUT LIVES IN FOURECKS!

      Kate writes:

      Here's one for the birds!
      http://news.com.au/couriermail/extras/frodocam/default.htm

      It's a cam mounted up near the top of a Brisbane City
      building, been there for a while, monitoring a ledge on which
      a pair of Peregrine Falcons are raising a brood of three
      chicks. The chicks are pretty active now and are not always
      in shot, but there are galleries and videos of some of the
      better activities.

      Steven replied: Gargoyle cam!

      Kate: they are a bit messy too, lot of pigeon feathers and
      bones littering the ledge!

      Steven: See, there *are* gargoyles.
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      4) THOUGHTS ON THE TIFFANY BOOKS

      From ConMan of BU:
      When I read Wee Free Men, I thought it felt a bit like Discworld-
      lite: it had much of what you wanted in a Discworld novel, only
      trimmed down and re-introduced in a form more easily digested by
      younger minds.

      Wintersmith, on the other hand, is full-fat Discworld. The Nac Mac
      Feegle are as crazy as ever, Tiffany continues to grow, even
      Annagramma shows that she's not just a junior Letice Knibbs.

      One thing that I've mentioned before, and that I noticed more than
      ever, is that PTerry is writing more cinematic scenes into his books
      (I won't go into any details save to say that the opening and
      climactic scenes are the most obvious of this), and I have to wonder:
      is it a phase he's going through, or is it because he's getting some
      books filmed and feels he needs to make things easier on the
      filmmakers, or is it part of some longer trend that I've been
      missing? It's certainly nothing bad, and some of the big scenes in
      the recent books have been absolutely fantastic to visualise, but I
      would like to know if anyone else has noticed the trend.
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      5) AUSDWCON OFFER

      Nullus Anxietas: The Australian Discworld Convention
      Melbourne, February 9-11 2007
      Guest of Honour: Terry Pratchett
      Virtual Guests of Honour: Stephen Briggs, Bernard Pearson, Colin
      Smythe

      Last chance to get discounted memberships for the convention -
      prices go up at the end of October, but should any Wossname readers
      not get a chance to read this issue until November, we're offering a
      few extra days grace period - if you mention Wossname in your
      membership application, you can get the discounted rates ($160/$140
      concession) until the 5th of November.

      If you do sign up with the discounted rates, then you'll go into the
      draw for the competition to be part of a small group having a coffee
      and chat together with Terry at the convention.

      More details, as always, are out our website:
      http://www.ausdwcon.org

      Thanks,
      Ben Hughes
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      6) DID VETINARI SEND HIM?

      Pterry himself has been spotted opening a post office! No, he wasn't
      breaking in; he was Doing the Honours, along with a Lady Mayor and
      other dignitaries. According to one report, "Terry was holding his
      ordinary hat and waving a postman's cap." The new village post
      office, called Wren's Shop, is run by a rota of village volunteers
      and stands as a sterling example of the fight to save small rural
      post offices.
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      7) FIRST DISCWORLD NOVELS REPRINTED

      Colin Smythe Ltd. has just reprinted 'The First Discworld Novels'
      and revised the jacket which now has Josh Kirby's 'Tower of Art'
      picture featuring the final battle of 'The Light Fantastic' (with
      Josh's usual artistic licence), on the front cover. This was
      originally painted for the 2002 Discworld Calendar.
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      8) UPDATED QUIZ BOOK NOW AVAILABLE
      The new printing of Clive Gifford's Unofficial Quiz Book -
      So You Think You Know Discworld? - this one with
      appropriate acknowledgement (lacking in the first printing)
      to relevant trademarks - 0-340-91732-6 - is now available
      from Hodder Childrens Books.
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      9) PT RADIO INTERVIEW

      Pterry has been interviewed by Mark Lawson. The interview is
      scheduled for broadcast at 9pm on 21st November, on BBC4.
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      10) JOHNNY AND THE BOMB WINS TWO NOMINATIONS

      The Childsplay production of Johnny and the Bomb has been nominated
      for an International Emmy - decision night is 20 November. Childsplay's
      production of Johnny and the Bomb has secured two BAFTA
      nominations - one for the show (Best Drama) and one for the script.
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo