WOSSNAME -- OCTOBER 2006 -- PART 2 OF 3 (continued)

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2006
      WOSSNAME -- OCTOBER 2006 -- PART 2 OF 3 (continued)

      If you were asked to divide the Discworld series of
      novels into a number of Ages (say, between 3 and 10), where would
      you place the divisions? What, if anything, would you name the Ages?
      The divisions must be logical, and the Ages can't be split (so you
      can't have, say, Colour of Magic and Equal Rites in one Age and
      Light Fantastic in another). "Special" books (e.g.. Last Hero, Amazing
      Maurice, Tiffany Aching books) may be included or left out.

      For the record, my ages are as follows:

      1. The Awkward Age: Colour of Magic, Light Fantastic, Equal Rites,
      Mort, Sourcery, Wyrd Sisters

      The first few books, where PTerry was still finding his feet and
      establishing characters and rules. Still a good read, but not as
      rich as later books.

      2. The First Silver Age: Pyramids, Guards! Guards!, Eric, Moving
      Pictures, Reaper Man, Witches Abroad

      Here's where things start getting good. Some of the classic early
      Pratchett is here, and there's nothing wrong with having a favourite
      in this bunch.

      3. The First Golden Age: Small Gods, Lords and Ladies, Men at Arms,
      Soul Music, Interesting Times, Maskerade

      Some really great, classic Pratchett. In truth, it's hard to say
      that there's much between the Silver and Golden Age, but these books
      really exemplify what a good Discworld novel is about - that perfect
      mix of cheap laughs, complex humour, acute observation and witty

      4. The Dark Age: Feet of Clay, Hogfather, Jingo, Last Continent,
      Carpe Jugulum, Fifth Elephant

      These books are, mostly, still good, but there's a feeling that maybe
      the characters are getting a little worn-in, and perhaps a slight
      sense of treading water without getting that far. Not called the
      Dark Age because the books are bad, as such (Hogfather is definitely
      a favourite for me, for example), but they are certainly getting
      darker in feel - exemplified by Carpe Jugulum.

      5. The Second Golden Age: The Truth, Thief of Time, Night Watch,
      Monstrous Regiment, Going Postal, Thud!

      Here, once again, Discworld reclaims its full glory, thanks to a
      breath of fresh air. In these books, some wonderful new characters
      are introduced, and old characters (in particular the Watch) get
      seen from several brand new viewpoints. New technology and ways of
      thinking (and some technically old ones, like Igors) are making
      their way throughout the books, making Discworld (and in particular
      Ankh-Morpork) an interesting new place with even more potential for growth.

      Of course, a lot of that is just based on my own opinion, and I'm
      sure everyone else has their opinion as well. Am I making sense, or
      am I a few feathers short of a chick-AWK!

      -- by ConMan, who's been having a busy month of
      Discworld-related thoughts!

      12) BOFFO!

      I still feel that there are some things in there that are a case of
      "I want to use something I've established in the main Discworld
      books, but can't just assume they'll know about it, so I'll give it
      a new name". In previous books we've had the whole "using magic vs.
      not using magic", the Agnes Nitt-style introduction to witchcraft,
      and so forth. This time, a concept we know perfectly well as
      headology is renamed "boffo". While I understand that it's nice to
      give the younger readers a way into Discworld, I just don't think it
      needs to be at the expense of having the more established readers going
      through the book with such a strong sense of deja vu.

      -- ConMan

      I think boffo is similar, but not the same as headology. Boffo is
      making people think you're bigger/smarter/stronger than you are by
      means of trickery or exaggeration. Headology is making people think
      the way they need to in order to do what you want them to, for good
      or ill, though in Granny's case it's mostly good.

      -- The Snow Queen

      Blog of the month: a thought-provoking post about Death, duty
      and changing the world:

      Let them eat cake! A very, very special Discworld cake. Click on the
      link to share in the wondrousness of the most impressive cake in the

      To the Editor:

      I read Wintersmith over the weekend - some nice development of character

      I think it will deserve its place on the shelf with the other discworld
      books - though it is getting to be rather a crowded shelf now.

      Though I do rather miss Agnes Nitt from amongst the witches of Lancre, I
      hope that she has not been abandoned.

      -- Anne

      Dorset, England

      To the Editor:

      It has been a bit quiet of late. Everyone still reading Wintersmith?

      -- Paul

      To the Editor:

      Not me. Read it twice, muchly enjoyed it, and sent it off
      back to the library.

      -- Kate

      To enter the contest, just circle the right answer
      and send it in via e-mail to J. Schaumburger,

      First prize is one bag of leftover halloween candy.
      Second prize is two bags. Third prize is four bags
      and it will keep doubling until you have covered the
      face of the earth or get arrested for littering, whichever
      comes first.

      Or if you prefer, you can receive the people's ovation
      and undying fame for the next month.

      We will publish the correct answers next month, if
      the stars are in the proper alignment.

      THE QUIZ:

      1) Who is Gordo Smith?
      a. The father of Eskarina Smith
      b. The identity under which Moist von Lipwig was first arrested
      c. The lead singer of The Cure

      2) The Ramtop Mountains lie directly across:
      a. The bones of the Fifth Elephant
      b. The Disc's standing magical wave
      c. The path of the moon in Spring Secundus

      3) Mme Cupidor was:
      a. A fortune-teller turned into a toad by Lilith de Tempescire
      b. The inventor of modern corsetry
      c. The mistress of Mad King Soup

      4) For bonus points, what did Mme Cupidor's wig contain?
      a. A small troupe of dwarf actors
      b. A takeaway linguini shop
      c. A partridge in a pear tree

      5) What makes the Ramkin family gardens so remarkable?
      a. They can be reached from every house in Empirical crescent
      b. The ornamental zoo contains every animal in the Ankh-Morpork
      heraldic bestiary
      c. An ancestor of Sybil's shot B.S. Johnson as he was coming up
      the driveway, so he never showed his plans for the gardens

      6) Which of the following is NOT the holder of a hereditary title?
      a. Earl Bottomley
      b. Countess Notfaroutoe
      c. Compte de Yoyo

      7) Gytha Ogg's three known husbands were:
      a. Sobriety, Bestiality and Kevin
      b. Albert, Winston and Sobriety
      c. Sobriety, Winston and Alf

      7+1) For bonus points, which other Discworld woman of note had at
      least three husbands?
      a. Marietta Cosmopilite
      b. Rosemary Palm
      c. Lily Weatherwax

      9) Quoth the Raven was originally owned by a wizard called:
      a. Ly Tin Wheedle
      b. C.V. Cheesewaller
      c. Jubilation T. Cornpone

      10) The principal trading ports of the Circle Sea are:
      a. Ankh-Morpork, Quirm and Tsort
      b. Ankh-Morpork, Ephebe and Genua
      c. Ankh-Morpork, Al Khali and Ephebe

      11) Sto Lat and Sto Helit are two famous city-states of the Sto
      Plains. Name a third:
      a. Sto Kerrig
      b. Sto Kendra
      c. Sto Carrick

      12) Octarines glow when exposed to a strong magical field.
      Otherwise, they look like:
      a. White Ankhstones
      b. Inferior diamonds
      c. Yellow quartz

      13) How did Lord Winstanleigh Greville-Pipe end his days?
      a. In a sea cave on an unnamed island off the Bhangbhangduc coast
      b. In the arms of Mme Cupidor
      c. In a tiger