WOSSNAME -- SEPTEMBER 2005 -- PART 1 OF 5

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28 3:42 PM
      SEPTEMBER 2006 (Volume 9, Issue 9)
      Part 1 of 5 Sections
      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: T.F. (`Tiff') Peasey
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      Book Reviews: Drusilla D'Afanguin
      Puzzle Editor: volunteer needed
      DW Horoscope: Anaemia Asterisk
      Emergency Staff: Jason Parlevliet, Nathan Clissold, Dylan Williams
      Art Director: Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano

      1) WINTERSMITH -- ON SALE 9/26/06
      2) UK WINTERSMITH SIGNING NEWS
      3) INTERACTIVE ACTION ON THE BULLETIN BOARD FRONT
      4) THE BREAD MUSEUM

      ====Part 2
      5) AUSDWCON MELMEET REPORT:
      WE DINE WITH NOBBY NOBBS...
      6) MANCMEET UPCOMING ON 7 OCTOBER
      7) UNSPEAKABLE VAULT OF DOOM
      8) THE TURNWISE ALMANACK

      ====Part 3
      9) THE PTERRY MEDIA NEWSROUND
      10) MEET REPORTS
      11) LETTERS FROM OUR READERS

      ====Part 4
      12) SONG OF THE MONTH
      13) YOUR MONTHLY HOROSCOPE

      ====Part 5
      14) YOUR MONTHLY HOROSCOPE, CONTINUED

      1) WINTERSMITH -- On Sale 9/26/06

      New thrills await as witch-in-training Tiffany Aching and her six-inch-high,
      sword-wielding, sheep-stealing allies face their most amazing adventure yet!

      Order Your Copy Today!
      http://www.harpercollins.com/features/pratchettbooks/buy.aspx?
      isbn=9780060890315

      WINTERSMITH will also be available as an Unabridged Audio CD.
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      AN AUTHORTRACKER EXCLUSIVE!
      ENJOY A SNEAK PEEK OF WINTERSMITH.
      http://terrypratchettbooks.com/books/wintersmith-xpt.html
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      TERRY PRATCHETT AND THE WEE FREE MEN ARE BACK!

      An interview with Terry Pratchett offering insights on Tiffany Aching,
      cheese, witchcraft, the Nac Mac Feegle, and much, much more!

      TIFFANY ACHING HAS DECIDED SHE WANTS TO BE A WITCH
      WHEN SHE GROWS UP. WHAT DID YOU WANT TO BE WHEN
      YOU WERE TIFFANY'S AGE?

      When I was Tiffany's age, I wanted to be an astronomer. I never
      succeeded in my ambition, because astronomers have to be good
      at math, and I've never been very good at math. I thought astronomy
      was a really cool job, because you got to stay up late at night. But
      I have to say I'm very pleased that now, because of the success
      of my writing, I've built my own observatory.

      TIFFANY READ THE DICTIONARY STRAIGHT THROUGH BECAUSE
      NO ONE HAD TOLD HER SHE WASN'T SUPPOSED TO. DID YOU
      EVER READ THE DICTIONARY STRAIGHT THROUGH?

      Ha! Yes, I did it when I was a kid. I read dictionaries all the way through:
      dictionaries, thesauruses, dictionaries of slang, all that sort of thing,
      for
      the sheer fun of doing it. I think I was a rather weird kid, to be frank.

      TIFFANY IS ALSO AN EXPERT CHEESEMAKER. HAVE YOU EVER
      MADE CHEESE?

      Yep. Goat's cheese. We used to keep goats, which are really just like
      sheep, but a lot more intelligent and much, much more bad-tempered.
      I was pretty good at goat cheese, I have to say. I could make goat
      cheese again if someone wanted me to.

      THE LANDSCAPE TIFFANY GREW UP IN IS CLEARLY BASED ON
      THE ENGLISH CHALK COUNTRY. YOU'VE SAID THERE IS
      AMAZINGLY LITTLE YOU HAD TO MAKE UP ABOUT HER HOME.
      WHAT CAN YOU TELL US ABOUT THIS PART OF ENGLAND?

      A large area of southern England is on the chalk; in fact, the White Cliffs
      of Dover are chalk. I live on the chalk, about twelve miles from Stonehenge.
      I even own about forty acres of the chalk. You always see sheep on the
      chalk, it tends to be very high country, and you don't see too many trees.
      It's really the center of all our mythologies in England. There's Stonehenge

      there, and strange ancient carvings, and the burial mounds of dead
      chieftains. Back in the days when the valleys were just all flooded and
      swampy, the chalk uplands were how people moved around, and, in the
      heart of it all, was Stonehenge.

      IS TIFFANY'S FAMILY IN ANY WAY BASED ON YOUR OWN?

      Well, I grew up on the chalk. I was born in the Chiltern Hills, which is
      another chalk outcrop. And a lot of the things that Tiffany thinks and
      sees, in fact, I thought and saw when I was her age; a lot of the way
      Tiffany comprehends the landscape is based on my own experiences.
      I don't come from a farming family, but I spent a lot of time among
      farmers and their families when I was a kid. I'm the actual archetypal
      example of an only child, so I had plenty of time to myself. My
      paternal grandmother has a very special place in my heart, just as Tiffany's
      grandmother, does, because when I was a kid I was allowed to read from
      her bookshelf. It was a very short bookshelf, but it contained every book
      you really ought to read, like the complete short stories of H. G. Wells,
      and the complete short stories of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I just worked
      my way along my granny's bookshelf and didn't realize that I was getting
      an education.

      IN TIFFANY'S WORLD, BEING A WITCH MEANS, IN PART, TO HAVE
      CERTAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES. HOW DID YOU DECIDE
      TO INCLUDE THESE OBLIGATIONS AS PART OF YOUR DEFINITION
      OF WITCHCRAFT?

      Certainly witchcraft for Tiffany has very little to do with magic as people
      generally understand it. It has an awful lot to do with taking
      responsibility
      for yourself and taking responsibility also for the less able people and, up
      to a certain point, guarding your society. This is based on how witchcraft
      really was, I suspect. The witch was the village herbalist, the midwife, the
      person who knew things. She would sit up with the dying, lay out the
      corpses, deliver the newborn. Witches tended to be needed when human
      beings were meeting the dangerous edges of their lives, the places where
      there is no map. They don't mess around with tinkly spells; they get their
      hands dirty.

      AND THEN THERE ARE THE NAC MAC FEEGLE. THEY'RE THE
      MOST FEARED OF ALL THE FAIRY RACES, AND YET THEY'RE
      ALSO LOYAL, STRONG, AND VERY FUNNY. HOW DID YOU COME
      UP WITH THE NAC MAC FEEGLE?

      I thought it very strange, and very sad that the fairy kingdom largely
      appears to be English. I thought it was time for some regional
      representation. And the Nac Mac Feegle are, well, they're like tiny
      little Scottish Smurfs who have seen Braveheart altogether too many
      times. They speak a mixture of Gaelic, Old Scots, Glaswegian and
      gibberish. And they're extremely brave, and they're extremely small,
      and extremely strong, and there's hundreds and hundreds of them,
      and they just are automatically funny. You can't help but love them,
      at a distance.

      WHAT HAPPENS TO GET YOU TO SIT DOWN AT YOUR DESK
      AND WRITE THE OPENING WORDS OF A NEW NOVEL?

      I'm not sure. I start with a handful of semiformed ideas and play
      around with them until they seem to make some sense. Actually
      typing is important to me --it kind of tricks my brain into gear.
      I've got a pack-rat mind, like most writers, and once I starting thinking
      hard about a new project all kinds of odd facts and recollections shuffle
      forward to get a place on the bus.

      DO YOU KNOW WHERE A STORY IS GOING WHEN YOU START
      WRITING, OR DO YOU LET THE STORY TAKE CONTROL AND SEE
      WHERE IT TAKES YOU?

      This answer deserves one sentence or an essay! I'll try to summarize
      it like this: writing, for me, is a little like wood carving. You find the
      lump of tree (the big central theme that gets you started) and you start
      cutting the shape that you think you want it to be. But you find, if you
      do it right, that the wood has a grain of its own (characters develop and
      present new insights, concentrated thinking about the story opens new
      avenues). If you're sensible, you work with the grain and, if you come
      across a knot hole, you incorporate that into the design. This is not the
      same as "making it up as you go along"; it's a very careful process of
      control.

      THE FANTASY GENRE IS OFTEN THOUGHT OF AS ESCAPISM,
      BUT IS IT ESCAPISM WITH A FIRM ROOT IN REALITY?

      Fantasy IS escapism, but wait...why is this wrong? What are you
      escaping from, and where are you escaping to? Is the story opening
      windows or slamming doors? The British author G. K. Chesterton
      summarized the role of fantasy very well. He said its purpose was to
      take the everyday, commonplace world and lift it up and turn it around
      and show it to us from a different perspective, so that once again we
      see it for the first time and realize how marvelous it is. Fantasy --
      the ability to envisage this world in many different ways --is one of
      the skills that makes us human.

      YOUR DISCWORLD NOVELS ARE FANTASTICALLY SUCCESSFUL.
      NOW YOU'RE WRITING DISCWORLD NOVELS SPECIFICALLY
      FOR YOUNGER READERS. WHY?

      I think my heart has always been in writing for children. My first book
      was written for children, and a few years ago I realized that if I wrote
      a few books for younger readers I could approach Discworld in a different
      way. There's a lot of difference between writing for children and writing
      for adults, and it's almost impossible to tell you what it is, but I know it
      when I'm doing it. You have more fun, and I have to say, it's a little
      bit harder, especially if you do it right.

      2) UK WINTERSMITH SIGNING NEWS

      Terry Pratchett's signing session at the Guildhall in Winchester,
      during the Wessex Festival, is now confirmed for Saturday 25th
      November from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. This event will be ticketed.
      Details of how to obtain the *free* tickets will be available at:

      http://www.hants.gov.uk/library/wessex

      on, or shortly after, 1st October 2006.
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      3) INTERACTIVE ACTION ON THE BULLETIN BOARD FRONT
      by Annie Mac

      For your enjoyment, here are two links of interest from the Terry
      Pratchett Books discussion board. This one is about the official
      Hogfather (film) site:

      http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/cgi-bin//ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_
      topic;f=2;t=005466
      or http://tinyurl.com/npnau

      If you're already subscribed to the HarperCollins AuthorTracker email
      service, you received an excerpt from _Wintersmith_ and an interview
      with. If you haven't subscribed, you can sign up for AuthorTracker
      here:

      http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/terry/at.html
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      4) THE BREAD MUSEUM

      Muzei Khleba (Bread Museum)
      Ligovskii Prospekt 73
      St Petersburg, Russia

      Ligovskii Prospekt or Mayakovskaia

      If you think you can manage to climb the thirteen flights
      of stairs which lead to this unique place, do. And don’t be put
      off by the stark entrance. Pay the minuscule fee and discover
      the incredible history of bread in St Petersburg and, for that
      matter, in the rest of Russia. It's the closest thing to the
      Dwarf Bread Museum on Roundworld

      One sizable room divided into various sections shows the rise
      and fall of this humble product over time. From the early days
      when bread was plentiful and eaten at a beautifully set table
      with jam and tea, to the dark era of Communism and more
      specifically World War II - there are samples of a rock loaf
      which people ate in order to survive, and the coupons they
      used to purchase it. A series of photos paint a frightfully clear
      picture of what life was like in wartime St Petersburg.

      9a-5p Tu-F, 11a-3p Sa
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo