WOSSNAME - - AUGUST 2006 - - PART 2 OF 5

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2006
      WOSSNAME -- AUGUST 2006 -- PART 2 OF 5
      ------------

      5) NOTES FROM THE DISCWORLD CONVENTION
      by T.F. Peasey

      At a `KaffeeKlatsch with The Mob' at the Discworld Convention,
      director Vadim Jean revealed that they are in negotiations to have
      the Hogfather film broadcast on USA cable, although it might not be
      until some time after the UK Christmas broadcast. They also plan to
      an American DVD release including special features such as director
      commentary, although that will probably be after the British release
      projected for March. To accompany the film, HarperCollins will be
      releasing a $19.95 fully illustrated, oversized paperback screenplay,
      so make your Hogswatch list now!

      The trailer and clip shown at the convention's `Meet the Mob' event
      received a cheering, whistling standing ovation, and Terry seemed
      as enthusiastic as the fans (particularly about Michelle Dockery's
      corset). The Mob previewed the scene of Nobby meeting the Hogfather,
      and then handed out free souvenir plastic teeth from the set to the
      audience. In his interview with Terry, Vadim Jean revealed a
      mischievous sense of humour ideal for any interpreter of Pratchett
      books; even better, he clearly loves Terry's writing. He needed to,
      in order to persist in his mission to make the film in the face of
      Terry's initial hostile scepticism (Vadim: "We'd like to make a film
      of Hogfather." Terry: "WHY?!"). As Terry observed, things went so
      well with the film -- the filmmakers even allowing him to edit and
      alter the screenplay -- that he kept waiting for the moment when
      heads would split and tentacles would emerge, as always happened
      with doomed productions of his films. The metaphorical "tentacle
      time" almost came when the film lost funding due to a change in
      studio administration, but, as in any good Hogswatch fable, it all
      had a happy ending.

      An interesting bit of trivia: the filmmakers were able to rent a
      very expensive camera at a bargain price from the production of
      Harry Potter because filming was stalled while waiting for snow at a
      particular location (that never came)...so, as the director revealed
      with great glee, Harry Potter paid for Hogfather!

      The best quote about the movie came from Terry, when asked at the
      Kaffee Klatch how it felt to see his book translated to such a high-
      quality onscreen production: "Like sex, but not as sticky."

      ***

      At the Discworld Convention's 'Terry's Bedtime Stories' event, Terry
      read from both Wintersmith and Making Money. While several fans
      have managed to read advance copies of Wintersmith, the extract from
      Making Money was new to everyone. Scenes included a hilarious account
      of Vetinari's skilled manipulation of Moist Von Lipwig, and Moist's
      subsequent meeting with an elderly bank trustee named Topsy Lavish
      (and her mongrel lapdog, Mr Fusspot). When Topsy promises that she
      doesn't bite, Terry's text notes that, if you just gave her a moment
      to find her teeth and a bottle of gin...

      6) CRIVENS! LOCK UP YOUR DAUGHTERS! AND THE SPECIAL SHEEP LINIMENT!

      There is now a new Pratchett discussion forum specifically for fans
      who are children and young adults -- 'The Feegles', to be found at:
      <http://feegles.lspace.org>

      This is intended to be for the use of under 18s and will be
      moderated accordingly.

      The forum moderators are themselves 'juniors' who have experience of
      setting up and moderating a variety of web forums but they also have
      adult admins to call on for assistance if necessary. As time goes on
      we hope to bring more mods on board from the subscribers.

      It's early days and initially the division of boards is simple:
      -- Announcements - The News/Important stuff
      -- Welcome Board - This is where we say hello, and this is also
      where the useful information is. Be sure to check it out.
      -- Bigjob's Board -Parental/Guardian questions go here
      -- The Kelda's Cauldron - Discworld Discussion goes here. As does...
      everything else Pratchett-related.
      -- The Wee Free Cailey - It's pronounced 'Kay-lee' by the way. And
      it's a party, so the random chat goes here.
      [Editor's note: Actually, the proper spelling is ceilidh!]
      -- The Gonnagle's Board - Creative works go here - eg fan art, fan
      fiction, avatars and suchlike.

      More will be added or modifications made, maybe an age split if
      appropriate, as time goes on and members decide. More details and
      the draft policies can be found on the site.

      Bigjobs is a dedicated board for parent/guardians to ask questions
      etc. - the others are strictly for the kids!

      The board moderators can be reached at Feegles@...
      The admins can be reached at Keldas@...

      The name of 'Feegles' is being used by very kind permission of Terry
      and remains entirely part of his Discworld creation.

      regards,

      Karen/hypatia, esmi, elfin, Orjan, Michael, Niall and Rachel

      Karen/hypatia Karen@...

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      7) WINTERSMITH USA SIGNING TOUR SCHEDULE:

      Monday, October 9:
      1 p.m.-3 p.m. Presentation/Reading/Q & A
      Books of Wonder
      18 West 18th Street, New York, NY 10014
      and
      6 p.m.-8 p.m. Presentation/Reading/Q & A
      Linda's Storytime
      447 Monroe Turnpike, Monroe, CT 06468

      Wednesday, October 11th:
      1 p.m.-3 p.m. Presentation/Reading/Q & A
      The Bookstall
      811 Elm Street, Winnetka, IL 60093
      and
      7 p.m.-9 p.m. Presentation/Reading/Q & A
      Harry W. Schwartz Bookshop
      10976 N. Port Washington Road, Mequon, WI 53092

      Thursday, October 12th:
      11 a.m.-1 p.m. Presentation/Reading/Q & A
      Barnes & Noble
      55 Old Orchard Center, Skokie, IL 60077
      and
      6:30 p.m. Presentation/Reading/Q & A
      Anderson's Bookshop
      123 West Jefferson Avenue, Naperville, IL 60540

      Friday, October 13th:
      11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. "Book Lust with Nancy Pearl"
      (30-minute interview for Seattle Channel Television)

      7 p.m.-9:30 p.m. Presentation/Reading/Q & A
      University Bookstore - Children's Department - 2nd level
      4326 University Avenue, Seattle, WA

      Saturday, October 14:
      3 p.m.-5 p.m. Presentation/Signing/Q & A
      Boulder Bookstore
      1107 Pearl Street, Boulder, CO 80302

      Sunday, October 15:
      3 p.m.-5:30 p.m. Presentation/Signing/Q & A
      Copperfield's Books
      140 Kentucky Street, Petaluma, CA 94952

      Tuesday, October 17:
      7:30 p.m.-9 p.m. Presentation/Reading/Q & A
      Politics & Prose
      5015 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C. 20008

      Wednesday, October 18:
      7 p.m.-9 p.m. Presentation/Reading/Q & A
      Borders
      11301 Rockville Pike, Kensington, MD 20895

      Thursday, October 19: homeward bound!

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      8) FORTHCOMING LONDON MEET: BE THERE OR BEE AN ELDRITCH THYNG!

      As a certain hatted gentleman said, anything done once is a
      tradition - anything done twice is a very *old* tradition. This will
      be the third London SeptemberMeet I've hosted, so goodness knows
      what that makes it...

      When? 23 September 2006, 18:00 onwards.

      Where? De Hems (Dutch pub), 11 Macclesfield Street, London W1V 7LF.
      Here is a link of the mappyness: http://tinyurl.com/zmxbw
      [streetmap.co.uk]

      Why? It's the third year I've hosted this meet. For DWCon/DWEvent
      people it serves as a post-con meet. For university people it serves
      as a last fling before going back to uni or off to work. For some of
      my friends from uni it's merely an opportunity to meet some of the
      people who are to blame for me being 'the odd one'. For me it's a
      chance to watch all of this happen and have a drink with friends on
      or about my birthday - though this is not a birthday party. Also,
      "why not host it?"

      How? The nearest tube stations are Leicester Square (Northern,
      Piccadilly lines), Piccadilly Circus (Bakerloo, Piccadilly lines)
      and Tottenham Court Road (Northern, Central lines) in order of
      increasing distance. Bus routes 14, 19 and 38 may also be of use,
      as they run along nearby Shaftesbury Avenue.

      Contact? I shall be in London from approximately 15:00 if anyone
      feels like meeting up earlier. My mobile phone will be on - anyone
      who needs to know my number either knows it already or has some
      other means of making themselves known to me to get my number (via
      anze201[at]ex[dot]ac[dot]uk for preference, or other methods) before
      the day. Note that I am practically guaranteed to be online between
      22:00 and midnight (BST).
      - --
      The Countertony

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo