WOSSNAME - - AUGUST 2006 - - PART 1 OF 5

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2006
      AUGUST 2006 (Volume 9, Issue 8)
      Part 1 of 5 Sections
      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: T.F. (`Tiff') Peasey
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      Book Reviews: Drusilla D'Afanguin
      Puzzle Editor: volunteer needed
      DW Horoscope: Anaemia Asterisk
      Emergency Staff: Jason Parlevliet, Nathan Clissold, Dylan Williams
      Art Director: Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano

      1) APOLOGIA: BLOW, WINDS, BLOW
      2) QUOTE OF THE MONTH
      3) UK WINTERSMITH SIGNING NEWS
      4) NULLAS ANXIETAS: AUSCON NEWS

      ====Part 2
      5) DISCWORLD CONVENTION NOTES
      6) CRIVENS! IT'S THE FEEGLES!
      7) USA WINTERSMITH SIGNING TOUR
      8) LONDON CALLING

      ====Part 3
      9) THE PTERRY MEDIA NEWSROUND
      10) MEET REPORTS
      11) LETTERS FROM OUR READERS

      ====Part 4
      12) SONG OF THE MONTH
      13) YOUR MONTHLY HOROSCOPE

      ====Part 5
      14) YOUR MONTHLY HOROSCOPE, CONTINUED

      1) BLOW, WINDS, BLOW: a note from your Managing Editor

      Well, there's good news and less good news behind my stint as
      temporary publisher this month. The good news is that our Fearless
      Leader, Joe Schaumburger, has NOT had another heart attack. The less
      good news is that he's been taken hostage by Hurricane Ernesto as it
      sweeps over his city. Telephone and internet being flooded or blown
      away or whatever, kinda wossname. Luckily, he managed to send me all
      his bits and pieces for the August issue, so I've revved up my
      Mighty Morphin Managing Editor powers and herewith present the new
      issue on Joe's behalf. Any mistakes or wandering untoasted figgins
      are totally my fault.

      Here's hoping that Ernesto has more bark than bite and that Joe
      pops up again safe and dry as quickly as possible!

      -- Annie Mac

      2) QUOTE OF THE MONTH

      `All right,' said Susan. `I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need
      ...*fantasies* to make life bearable.'

      REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY
      TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE
      RISING APE.
      -- Hogfather

      3) UK WINTERSMITH SIGNING NEWS

      Terry Pratchett's signing session at the Guildhall in Winchester,
      during the Wessex Festival, is now confirmed for Saturday 25th
      November from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

      ***

      Blackwell will be hosting an event as part of Pterry's Wintersmith
      Signing Tour at Logan Hall, Institute of Education, 20 Bedford Way,
      London WC1H 0AL on Thursday 28 September at 7 p.m.
      Tickets: £7, concessions £5

      Promoted as an exclusive London event, Blackwell are advising fans
      to book early to avoid disappointment.

      To book tickets call 0845 456 9876 (lines are open Monday - Friday,
      9.30 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
      or visit Blackwell, 100 Charing Cross Road, London W2H 0JG

      ***

      The details for the signing hosted by Waterstones Deansgate
      (Manchester) on 29th September have been confirmed as follows:
      Venue: The Dancehouse Theatre, 10 Oxford Road, Manchester
      Tickets: £4 from Waterstone's, 91 Deansgate, Manchester
      Dedicated ticket line: 0161 8391248
      PLEASE NOTE: Tickets will be on sale by 1st September

      4) XXXX PTERRYMANIA SMACKDOWN! AUSCON v BUGARUP U! NO HOLDS BARRED!

      This bulletin is just in from the XXXXian Discworld Convention gang:

      Hi All,
      I'd like to remind everybody that Nullus Anxietas- The Australian
      Discworld Convention is fast approaching!
      The facts:
      When? 9th-11th February 2007.
      Where? Carlton Crest Hotel, Albert Park, Melbourne.
      How? A little bit of sweat, a dash of hope, and a whole lot of money.
      Why? Because.
      oh and Who? TERRY PRATCHETT will be there!

      Yes it's all going ahead, our programme of events is under
      construction, some of which can be seen on our website
      www.ausdwcon.org we are as always happy to accept new ideas for what
      you would like to see when you come to the convention.

      So sign up now because our prices will be rising early November.
      Also membership entitles you to a copy of our newsletter - Nullus
      News.
      We are also still selling t-shirts and our new poster prints from
      local Discworld artist Sarah Kinder.

      Any more questions? Jump on our forums - that's www.ausdwcon.org -
      or email me at ben@...

      Looking forward to meeting everyone in February,
      Ben Hughes
      Programme and Marketing
      Nullus Anxietas - The Australian Discworld Convention
      9th-11th February 2007
      www.ausdwcon.org

      ...and of course, that caused the usual stir in the dusty corridors
      of Bugarup University, and the raising of edged weapons as some of
      the students and Faculty took umbrage (possibly Lesser) at the
      frightening thought of an on-topic Discworld-related post. And also,
      as always, the chest region of BU's Hania Ogg was mentioned. Entire
      volumes have been devoted to the subject of Hania's, erm, chest;
      Pterry himself is known to turn white-faced at the mere threat of
      it, although there's surely no truth to the claim that, during his
      previous XXXXian signing tour, a certain Miss Pratchett eyed the
      queue and scuttled in to him with the frantic moaning whisper of
      "Dad, That Woman is back again!" Conversations about the Auscon
      `spam' post included:

      Jase, BU Head of Technomancy:
      For reasons of social evolution and whatnot, this group has long
      been a group for far wandering and eclectic discussion of everything
      and anything by people who like the Discworld novels, rather than a
      list for discussion of Discworld. (This is made quite clear on the
      Yahoogroups page, and in the welcome email) It seemed to us that
      everything that could be said about the old novels had been said, so
      other than the occasional burst on the release of a new novel (and
      the occasional smaller burst when it came out on paperback and I
      read it) we are unaccustomed to hearing about Discworld. Thus
      generally, if anyone wants to mention Discworld here they usually
      accompany it with an On-Topic Warning, as opposed to off-topic
      warnings as in most groups. It's an in-joke here.

      Ben (after all had kissed and made up, so to speak:
      Oh, and we do have a fairly strict rule on having no weapons at
      the convention - so that rules Hania's breasts out immediately :-p

      Hania Ogg:
      Awwww....butt..MUUUMMMM!!!...I wannna bwing my bweasts to the
      convention!! Dad said I could!! Please? I promise to behave, and
      keep them in their box AAWWLLL the Time.....
      In that case, can I try for a merkin? Im sure he will sign that -
      especially if I put two little googly eyes onnit....

      As you can see, the tales of Hania Ogg are not exaggerated, heheh.

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      -----
      -----