WOSSNAME -- JUNE 2006 -- PART 1 OF 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2006
      JUNE 2006 (Volume 9, Issue 6)
      Part 1 of 3 Sections
      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: T.F. (Tiff) Peasey
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      Book Reviews: Drusilla D'Afanguin
      Puzzle Editor: volunteer needed
      DW Horoscope: Anaemia Asterisk
      World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano

      1) WINTERSMITH: REVIEW
      2) JINGO IN AUSTRALIA
      3) TWO AFP MEETS IN CANADA
      4) AROUND AND ABOUT: Discworld News
      5) TERRY AND THE PIRATES

      ====Part 2
      6) SONG OF THE MONTH
      7) PTERRY PLOTTER
      8) LETTERS FROM ALL OVER

      ====Part 3
      9) YOUR NEW DW HOROSCOPE

      1) WINTERSMITH: REVIEW

      NEVER KISS A BLIZZARD ON THE FIRST DATE:
      a (p)review of Wintersmith

      by Annie Mac

      Last month's Witchery Evolves essay was, as mentioned, a bit of a
      teaser for this month's review of Wintersmith. Now then, Wintersmith
      being a Tiffany Aching novel (the third), and Tiffany Aching being a
      young witch in training - and a personal favourite (not that a
      grilling over hot coals would ever get them to admit it) of both
      Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg, Tiffany's ultimate mentors -
      naturally Wintersmith has the witching community in it. You might
      even say it's the most witch-centric of the Tiffany novels. And
      Pterry has truly taken the witching ball (crystal or otherwise) and
      run with it this time, giving readers the most comprehensive ever
      look-in at the scope, social rituals and etiquette of the Discworld
      witches. Among other things, we learn far more about the process of
      How to Replace your Neighbourhood Witch, and about the way witches
      are perceived at grass-roots level (a subject very dear to Miss
      Tick's heart). We also get to meet a (very) elderly witch who still
      has all her marbles (and all her Boffo), and we're given a greater
      understanding of the Way of Mrs Ogg, i.e. why Nanny is so much more
      than just a cunning old lady who knows a trick or two and likes a
      drink or three.

      And there are Feegles, of course. Lots of Feegles. A high Feeglish
      presence. What's more, the Nac Mac Feegle of the Chalk are also
      evolving, or at the very least moving with the times. Crivens! No
      spoilering here, but I promise you'll be delighted with Rob Anybody's
      choice of study materials, and the Feegle approach to book-borrowing
      ...and inter-species relationships...it seems the Chalk Feegles have
      a knack for adopting, um, non-Feegle presences into their Ach,
      Horace, we ken ye well...

      Central to Wintersmith is the story of the Wintersmith himself and of
      his interactions with the now adolescent Tiffany. What we have here
      is not so much about history repeating itself as about certain
      histories mirroring each other: as Tiffany's early years are in so
      many ways a reflection of young Esme's, so is Tiffany's fascination
      with the Wintersmith a parallel of Granny-to-be's long-ago
      fascination with the Queen of the Elves (cf. Lords and Ladies) - and
      these godlike, elemental beings recognised the latent power in
      both young witches and were fascinated in turn...in the case of the
      Wintersmith, very dangerously fascinated...dangerous for Tiffany and
      for the entire Discworld. And therein lies a tale.

      ...oh, and by the way, you'll finally learn the secret of the
      *other* Morris Dance.

      The Tiffany Aching series, being for "young adult" readers, may not
      have the obvious gritty punch and ever-increasing realistic darkness
      of, say, the Watch novels, but behind the relative gentleness and
      once-upon-a-timeness of this young girl's journey to adulthood lie
      enormous home truths, universal resonances, and a whacking great
      dollop of pure, humanistic heart and soul, all of it delivered in
      Pratchett's ever more majestically inimitable style. For this
      reader, Tiffany Aching continues to be one of the most compelling
      of all the returning Discworld characters, and as her power and
      maturity increase, so does her hold over my affections.

      Wintersmith will be released on October 1, 2006. I'd give it a Many. Now
      where did I put my Boffo...?

      2) JINGO IN AUSTRALIA

      The Unseen Theatre Company, by arrangement with Methuen Publishing Pty.
      Ltd. presents the Australian premiere of Terry Pratchett's "Jingo".
      Adapted by Stephen Briggs. Directed by Pamela Munt

      Preview: June 30 at 8pm - All Tickets $12

      Season: July 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 15 at 8pm

      Tickets: Adults $16, Concession $14, Fringe Benefits $12, Friends of
      Unseen $12, Groups (10+) $10

      Bookings: Bakehouse Theatre on 8227 0505 or pamela@...

      Web site: http://www.unseen.com.au
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      3) TWO AFP MEETS IN CANADA

      Meet One:
      01 July 2006, Saturday
      1:00 pm
      Cafe du Soleil (1393 Commercial Drive)
      Vancouver, B.C., Canada
      Jessie & April in attendance for sure

      Meet Two:
      05 July 2006, Wednesday
      11:30 am
      Vancouver, B.C., Canada
      Benny's Bagels (2505 West Broadway)
      Lesley & Blake & April in attendance for sure

      Vancouver does something to the brain; we never do
      anything the same was as anyone else.

      'S prolly all the rain. Which we're not having now.

      Anyone who will be around and would like to join us,
      please do!

      -- April
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      4) AROUND AND ABOUT: Discworld News

      WUXTRY! WUXTRY! HERE IS DA NOOZ
      by T.F. Peasey

      Bathonians making people proud:

      Our esteemed former News Editor, Anna M. Conina, is now co-moderator of
      a certain Pterryesque bulletin board. Here's an interesting bit that's been
      mentioned there: http://tinyurl.com/o9zo6

      (and you can also go to http://tinyurl.com/gjkm4 and have a shufti
      at the photographs in the "101 People to Make Bath Proud" picture...
      second row, second right)
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      The Liverpool Network Theatre Group are putting on three
      performances of the play 'Lords and Ladies', adapted by Irana
      Brown at The Gladstone Theatre, Port Sunlight, Wirral, Merseyside
      on 22-24 June:

      http://www.liverpoolnetworktheatre.org.uk/
      http://www.gladstone.uk.com/
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      5) TERRY AND THE PIRATES

      An interview with Terry on piracy has been published in the May
      issue of ALCS [Authors' Licensing and Collecting Society] News. The full
      version of this can be found at:

      http://www.alcs.co.uk/News%20Events/ALCS%20News/News%20Stories/
      TerryPratchettInterview.aspx?template=/printerfriendly/alcs-newspf.aspx

      or http://tinyurl.com/jpgxl

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      -----