WOSSNAME -- MAY 2006 -- PART 1 0F 3

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2006
      MAY 2006 (Volume 9, Issue 5)
      Part 1 of 3 Sections
      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: T. F. (Tiff) Peasey
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      Book Reviews: Drusilla D'Afanguin
      Puzzle Editor: volunteer needed
      DW Horoscope: Anaemia Asterisk
      World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano

      1) SHOCKING NEWS!
      2) CONTRIBUTORS SOUGHT FOR DW LITERARY PROJECT
      3) THE GANG'S ALL HERE!
      4) AROUND AND ABOUT: Discworld News

      ====Part 2
      5) SONG OF THE MONTH
      6) YOUR NEW DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      ====Part 3
      7) LETTERS FROM ALL OVER
      8) WITCHERY EVOLVES
      9) CALL FOR THESPIANS

      1) SHOCKING NEWS!
      by Annie Mac

      It is with great sadness - and great panic! - that we announce the
      departure of News Editor Anna M. Conina from our staff at WOSSNAME.
      Anna has been our indefatigable source of news, rumours and small
      bits of juicy gossip regarding the works and travels of Pterry
      himself, as well as being our woman on the scene at many major
      Discworld fan conventions. But now she has been pulled into the
      Dungeon Dimensions, otherwise known as the HarperCollins Pratchett
      discussion board, to co-moderate alongside our Esteemed Competition
      aka Jason Anthony of That Other Discworld Publication, and fears that
      she may never re-emerge unless some clever wizzard manages to find
      the right spell (personally, we recommend Thursborscht's Terrific
      Trail of Breadcrumbs Glamour, but it's rather dangerous and can
      result in plagues of Rolf Harrises). We wish Anna every happiness in
      her thankless role. Oh wait, News Editor of WOSSNAME is a thankless
      role, too. Oops.

      Interim newsgathering duties shall fall to the mysterious T. F.
      (Tiff) Peasey. WOSSNAME wishes him-or-her the best of luck! And
      again, an enormous basket of thank-you figgins goes to Anna for her
      contributions.

      Here is the full text of Anna's letter of resignation:

      Dear Joe,

      I'm afraid I've been getting busier and busier for a long time. I barely
      see my own husband anymore, between work and writing for Wossname
      and moderating the HC message board and costuming and running local fan
      groups/events, etc. I'm stretched too thin, and I have to scale back.
      I've already ceased most involvement in local fan events for the current
      year, but it hasn't been enough. I've given it a lot of thought, and
      I've decided I need to resign as Wossname's news/convention editor, and
      as a general staff writer. I just don't have the time to contribute to
      Wossname anymore in any capacity.

      I really, really appreciate everything you did for me back when I went
      to Noreascon; I know I wouldn't have had those amazing experiences
      without your help. I hope you're not too upset with me, but this is
      something I really need to do.

      My best to you and Annie,

      Anna M.C.
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      2) CONTRIBUTORS SOUGHT FOR DW LITERARY PROJECT
      by Tiff Peasey

      We've been invited to join in a towering work of literary genius
      by our fellow wizzards in the Disc group. Here's their offer:

      Hi, Joe:

      I'm Cliff. (jp3@..., jcp3@...)

      Let all WOSSNAMErs who might wish to play, play.

      PROPOSAL: Pratchett Bestiary OBscuritus

      AUTHORIZATION: none

      CONTROLLING LEGAL AUTHORITY: Moderator

      RULES: none

      PENALTIES, FORFEITS, SANCTIONS: none

      STIPENDS, WAGES, PAYMENTS, PER DIEM: none

      CLASSIFICATION: TOP OPENNESS

      ACCESS CONTROL: Wish or Whim to enjoy side bits in Terry
      Pratchett's stories and novels

      Request and Scope:

      I wonder if anyone would like to work together to compile a list
      of obscure creatures that occur in Terry Pratchett's books and
      stories. These are the creatures that appear once, don't really
      have much to do with the story, and then are seldom or never
      mentioned again.

      This is one project I cannot do alone, but, because Pratchett's
      books are so rereadable, should be doable.

      I'd suggest we keep it ASCII, and two comma deliminated lists:
      one giving name then book. The other giving book then name.

      List 1. Common Name, Scientifythic name (make it up), Book

      Flying Carnivorus Hamster, Mesocricetus auratus avian eat-leggus,
      Going Postal

      Horribly knuckled cast iron range, Ferricus Rangeous Arthriticus,
      Sourcery

      List 2. Book, Names

      Going Postal, Flying Carnivorus Hamster, Mesocricetus auratus
      avian eat-leggus

      Sourcery, Horribly knuckled cast iron range, Ferricus Rangeous
      Arthriticus

      To add to the lists, go to: jp3@...
      so you get the ongoing lists. Insert your entries.
      And Send. (Ed. Note: We will also publish these entries
      in WOSSNAME.)

      If you think of another name for some beastie, just add it. It
      is very common for creatures in our world to be given several
      common and scientific names.

      If you object, then note your objection.

      I personally don't care about credit, but if you want you can
      add a Blame field.

      Oh, yes, I suggest NOT using spell checker, unless you want to
      make your spell checker very unhappy.

      -- Cliff

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      3) THE GANG'S ALL HERE!

      Top-notch UK actors from Baldrick to Neil the Hippie
      are uniting to bring Terry Pratchett's "Hogfather" to the
      screen in grand style. The full Hogfather cast list:

      Sir David Jason : Albert
      Joss Ackland : Mustrum Ridcully
      Marc Warren : Teatime
      David Warner: Lord Downey
      Ian Richardson : Voice of Death
      Michelle Dockery: Susan
      Nigel Planer: Mr. Sideney
      Rhodri Meilir: Bilious
      Peter Guinness: Medium Dave
      Neil Pearson: The Raven
      Sinead Matthews: Violet
      Stephen Marcus: Banjo
      Craig Conway: Chickenwire
      Roger Frost: Bursar
      Ed Coleman: Ponder Stibbons
      John Boswall: Chair of Indefinite Studies
      Marnix Van Den Broeke: Death
      Tony Robinson: Vernon Crumley
      Shend: Hogfather
      Richard Katz: Constable Visit
      Tim Plester: The Tooth Guard
      Arthur White: Ernie The Cart Driver
      Nicolas Tennant: Corporal Nobbs
      Dominic Borrelli: Grotto Hogfather
      John Franklyn-Robbins: The Dean
      Don Wetherhead: The Bogeyman
      Gregor Henderson-Begg: Pixie Helper
      Deborah Winckles: Mrs. Gaiter
      Robert Portal: Mr. Gaiter
      Maggie McCarthy: Ma Lillywhite
      Rachel Edwards: Bobble Hat Child's Mother

      This list can be viewed online at
      http://www.pjsmprints.com/news/index.html
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      4) AROUND AND ABOUT: Discworld News
      by Annie Mac

      http://www.locusmag.com/2006/Monitor/Bestsellers0509.html

      "Terry Pratchett's "Wintersmith" (Doubleday UK), not due to appear
      until October, ranks #67 on Amazon UK's list this week with
      pre-orders."
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      Fresh from Google News Alerts -- this blog from "The Voice of Reason"
      features a mini-essay about Granny Weatherwax:

      http://www.progressiveu.org/210218-the-voice-of-reason-all-or-nothing
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      Possibly from the same site that did the Granny Weatherwax article.
      This one features a bit from _Soul Music_:
      http://www.progressiveu.org/110759-duty-and-changing-the-world
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      DW Con news:

      http://www.dwcon.org/

      August 18-21 in Leicestershire.
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      If you'd like to see some advance pix of the film so far, be sure to
      keep a close eye on the news section at www.paulkidby.com in
      the coming months! The site has revealed early images from the
      "Hogfather" film production, including a photo of actress Michelle
      Dockery in costume as Susan.
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      -----